These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Name change?

First post
Author
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2015-05-11 19:25:28 UTC
Kyle Tawate wrote:
1: Limit the name change to once a year.
2: Make it expensive.
3: Make a search history of names.
4: Have the ability to mark peoples names down if you don't want to be tricked again (like on skype).
5: Add a star next to it to let you know it was changed.

Applying these feature will fix absolutely every problem with this concept and make everyone happy.

Necromancy belongs in other MMOs. Take this to the F&I forum instead of reviving a 3 month old NCQ&A thread.

Grrr.

Vazik Tyros
The Tyros Clan
#42 - 2015-05-14 05:10:32 UTC
My opinion:

Never allow name changes, ever.

You don't like your name? Start a new character and be more thoughtful with the name selection.

The pros of allowing name changes are vastly outweighed by the cons.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#43 - 2015-05-14 12:19:06 UTC
Vazik Tyros wrote:
My opinion:

You don't like your name? Start a new character and be more thoughtful with the name selection.

Can you list the Cons as you see them? (just to make sure we're on the same page)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#44 - 2015-05-14 14:55:04 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Necromancy belongs in other MMOs.

I dunno, man, I got turned into a floating space corpse and then brought back by magical phlebotenum just the other day, and the intro missions are directed by a ghost that even looks like someone wearing a sheet and has a voice with an echo effect.

Plus the Amarr royalty is possessed at this point and one of the major enemy factions is literally zombies (the Sansha).
Oraac Ensor
#45 - 2015-05-14 16:03:41 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Vazik Tyros wrote:
My opinion:

Can you list the Cons as you see them? (just to make sure we're on the same page)

Presumably this is on the basis that asking for the Pros would result in a blank post.
Vazik Tyros
The Tyros Clan
#46 - 2015-05-14 16:27:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Vazik Tyros
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Vazik Tyros wrote:
My opinion:

The only benefit of allowing name changes would be to give people who didn't put enough thought into their name selection an opportunity to remedy that mistake.

The Cons? You put a system in place that can be exploited by people who don't wish to be held accountable for their actions. And yes it could be limited by frequency and such, but it will still cause problems of mistaken identity, allowing exploiters to manipulate it for nefarious ends. There should be no easy escape for anyone who's sullied their reputation. In my opinion, displaying a history of their past names would not adequately compensate for the problems caused by allowing a name change.

But that's just my perspective on it. I've been playing for less than two months and I know there are strong feelings on both sides of this discussion by far more experienced players.
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#47 - 2015-05-14 21:54:04 UTC
Vazik Tyros wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Vazik Tyros wrote:
My opinion:

The Cons? You put a system in place that can be exploited by people who don't wish to be held accountable for their actions. And yes it could be limited by frequency and such, but it will still cause problems of mistaken identity, allowing exploiters to manipulate it for nefarious ends. There should be no easy escape for anyone who's sullied their reputation.

Character Bazaar - EVE Online ForumsRoll

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#48 - 2015-05-14 22:21:26 UTC

Except in that case the character is still devalued by its reputation, and can't be sold for as much, so... still lasting consequences.

Try to sell a character that's in a bunch of C&P threads as a corp thief for the same price as an unsullied character of similar skill points, and get back to us on how much uproarious laughter at your expense you get to enjoy as a result.
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2015-05-15 04:44:38 UTC
My personal opinion is a kneejerk reaction of hell no.

But I do understand the foolishly chosen name when you are tryig out a game only to regret it later on. But how much later? I say on the day you change from being a trial to a paid customer and ONLY then. Not once a year, not ever again.

You decide the game is real and you want a real name? Good, make the decision and live with that decision. I am fine with treating anybody under 30 days as temporary anyways. But a 3 year old who suddenly wants to obscure his past in a bouse over or having to dig deeper to actually remember who they are? No

hell no

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Kale Freeman
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2015-05-15 08:34:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kale Freeman
I feel much the same way about people who change corps.

Sure, allow people to move within the first 30days or so, in case the corp they joined wasn't what they expected, but once the 30 days are up you should "make the decision and live with that decision... suddenly wanting to obscure his past ... or having to dig deeper to remember who they are? No

hell no"

/s

Actually I support both corp and name changes provided there is a permanent record of the changes and the the record of the changes can be accessed via API.

I also think the sale of a character should be record somewhere permanently (on the character sheet) and should also be available over the API.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2015-05-15 09:26:38 UTC
yes for name changes, maybe once the character has been sold to another person but still keeping record of previous names or simply adding an alias to your char

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#52 - 2015-05-15 12:54:22 UTC
Yes please, as long as it is easily traceable and fairly expensive (a couple of plex, perhaps). A name search in People & Places would have to search aliases as well as current names, for instance.

Obviously not for magnificently named characters such as yours truly, though :)

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Vazik Tyros
The Tyros Clan
#53 - 2015-05-15 19:12:39 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:

But I do understand the foolishly chosen name when you are tryig out a game only to regret it later on. But how much later? I say on the day you change from being a trial to a paid customer and ONLY then. Not once a year, not ever again.

You decide the game is real and you want a real name? Good, make the decision and live with that decision. I am fine with treating anybody under 30 days as temporary anyways. But a 3 year old who suddenly wants to obscure his past in a bouse over or having to dig deeper to actually remember who they are? No

hell no

m

Well said.

And I agree that allowing a name change during or at the end of the Trial period is reasonable.
Oraac Ensor
#54 - 2015-05-16 00:33:57 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:

hell no

m

Yep, I would go along with this as the one exception to the 'no change' rule. Seems perfectly reasonable.
Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#55 - 2015-05-16 21:31:37 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
You can't change your name unless they decide your name is unsuitable. This decision comes from your name being reported as offensive.

The meta game would be destroyed if you could change your name whenever you want.

This one gave me a chuckle!

OP, just sell your character on the bazaar and buy a new one, using a throw away alt for the transactions.

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#56 - 2015-05-17 14:10:40 UTC
Nathan Galbadia wrote:
An Alias tab in character info that would list all known names/monikers would be a fair compromise also.

Sweet! I want to be AKA "The Toe"
Victor Emmanuel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2015-06-07 16:48:51 UTC
Lots of hyperbole in this thread sheesh.

Yes to paid name changes with maybe once per year limits, fully searchable on both API and your character sheet, with a list of previous names.
Adolph Weltschmerz
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2015-06-09 15:11:23 UTC
Tristan Valentina wrote:
With a name like Tarjanus Ceasar why would you want to change it. =P to much tyrant for one man?

Tristan

Roll
Isiana
School of The Recluses
#59 - 2015-06-18 13:07:43 UTC
Personally, I'd just like to add a last name.
Freya Sertan
Doomheim
#60 - 2015-06-18 16:16:53 UTC
You can change your name and appearance at any time.

It's called biomass.

New Eden isn't nice. It isn't friendly. It isn't very hospitiable. Good thing there are people here to shoot in the face.

Want to make New Eden a nice place? Try this out.