These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Covetor vs skiff mining Yield

First post
Author
priamossz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-05-15 17:48:25 UTC
Hi I am curious, do you guys know which is better in terms of mining yield, covetor or skiff?
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2015-05-15 17:55:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
To answer your question in a straight forward fashion, Covetor.

That being said, yield is not the only consideration. I'll let others elaborate.

You can get a nice synopsis of the subject matter here.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

priamossz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2015-05-15 18:44:40 UTC
Thank you, that's all i wanted to know.
Paranoid Loyd
#4 - 2015-05-15 18:49:40 UTC
priamossz wrote:

That's not all you should want to know, but I'm sure you'll find out soon. Twisted

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Freya Sertan
Doomheim
#5 - 2015-05-15 23:29:22 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
priamossz wrote:

That's not all you should want to know, but I'm sure you'll find out soon. Twisted

Mmmm, content. Someone's about to learn all about EvE.

New Eden isn't nice. It isn't friendly. It isn't very hospitiable. Good thing there are people here to shoot in the face.

Want to make New Eden a nice place? Try this out.

Kirk Ernaga
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-05-17 07:04:07 UTC
Suicide banking is a very common activity in eve. If you fly a covetor you are a juicy target as your ship may as well be made of paper, were as a skiff or even a procurer can be much harder to kill and thus less likely to be yanked. Also procurers and skiffs are pretty much the only mining ships besides the mining frigates used outside of highsec.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#7 - 2015-05-17 13:29:39 UTC
Freya Sertan wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
priamossz wrote:

Mmmm, content. Someone's about to learn all about EvE.

And it feels sooo guuud. Bear
Josephine Roden
Roden Interstellar Manufacturing
#8 - 2015-05-17 13:43:46 UTC
priamossz wrote:
Hi I am curious, do you guys know which is better in terms of mining yield, covetor or skiff?

It's not really that simple. Yes the Covetor can mine more if it uses both low slots for Mining Laser Upgrades but that is going to be problematic as it's already an obvious gank target, if it doesn't fit a damage control it's even more prone to become a target.

Would you fit a Damage Control on a Covetor then they mine pretty much equally fast (within 5%) because a skiff doesn't NEED one (it has enough hit points to not be a target in the first place). It just makes more sense to use a Skiff as it isn't a gank target so there's less risk of losing one, this also means it can mine in 0.5 security system space without much risk. Normally most miners avoid those systems which thus means there's lots of big asteroids (compared to higher sec mined out systems).

Also, it has a bigger ore bay which may be useful.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#9 - 2015-05-17 15:05:59 UTC
Covetor: Largest mining Yield. Smallest cargo hold. Not a good tank.
procurer: Smallest possible yield (depending on MLUs) medium hold. Best tank (50k+ ehp)

Skiff: Better procurer.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

priamossz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2015-05-17 16:26:50 UTC
I do know about gankers but i am relatively good at dodging them so I was more about whenever skiff can make more due to being an ex hummer than the covetor if you maximizing its mining (i do know about hulk but they are too expensive to replace if it gets ganked, and skiff is a bit tougher and most gankers not bother with them.).
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#11 - 2015-05-17 17:45:32 UTC
priamossz wrote:

I should just let you be, but considering this is NCQ&A, I'll elaborate on the "no the right questions" part.

Playing around in PyFA using an All-V's char, a Covetor with T2 strips, T2 crystals, and T2 MLU's will mine at 24.4 m3/s. A Skiff with the same yield-based fit will pull 21.9 m3/s. Neither drones nor boosts are included in either of these calculations.

One big thing to remember though is that the Skiff has a 15k m3 ore bay while the Covetor has only a 7k m3 ore bay, so you'll have to make a drop more than twice as often with the Covetor as compared to the Skiff. Unless you have a hauler available, you'll have to make a station run about every five minutes with the Covetor, compared to every 12 minutes with the Skiff.

A turnaround of 2 minutes is pretty generous for barges and exhumers, but we'll work with that.

Over about 30 minutes (28 actually), you're mining for 4 drop-cycles in the Covetor (5 minutes of mining, 2 minutes of hauling), but only 2 for the Skiff (12 minutes of mining, 2 minutes of hauling). You end up with about 24 minutes of mining in the Skiff and 20 minutes of mining with the Covetor.

24 minutes in the Skiff @ 21.9 m3/s == 31,536 m3 of ore.
20 minutes in the Covetor @ 24.4 m3/s == 29,280 m3 of ore.

Considering that, in barges and exhumers, you're probably closer to a 3-4 minute turnaround, the whole thing falls so deeply in favor for the Skiff in terms of yield that it's rather comical. At least using a 2-minute turnaround, the Covetor can actually pretend it can compete.

As well, considering the tank difference, the Skiff is going to have about 10x the tank of the Covetor, with the Covetor clocking in around 7-8k EHP, and the Skiff clocking in at 75-80k EHP.

To top it off, the Skiff gets bonuses to drones, and has double the drone bay of the Covetor. With the covetor, you have 50 m3 for your bay and 50 mb bandwidth. You can take medium drones out to protect yourself, but they aren't going to scare too many gankers away. Alternatively, you could take a flight of light drones and a flight of mining drones, which will protect you from belt rats and allow you to mine better, but you have far less of a chance against gankers.

The Skiff, on the other hand, has 100m3 for its drone bay and 50 mb for bandwidth. You can take a flight of bonused medium drones to protect yourself a bit more against gankers, a flight of bonused light drones to fight against the belt rats (assuming they can even overcome your shield regen), and a flight of mining drones.

The tl;dr of this is that the Skiff is better than the Covetor over the long haul if you're mining solo, while the Covetor will win if and only if you are in a fleet with hauling being provided, and you aren't the only Covetor in the fleet (which would make you the primary target of the gankers, second only to a Hulk).

So there you go: The answer to "which mines more ore" is the Covetor, but the answer to "which mines more ore over a prolonged period is the Skiff.
priamossz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-05-17 17:58:29 UTC  |  Edited by: priamossz
xxxxxxxxxxxx
13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2015-05-17 18:14:22 UTC
Winter Archipelago wrote:
priamossz wrote:

I should just let you be, but considering this is NCQ&A, I'll elaborate on the "no the right questions" part.

Playing around in PyFA using an All-V's char, a Covetor with T2 strips, T2 crystals, and T2 MLU's will mine at 24.4 m3/s. A Skiff with the same yield-based fit will pull 21.9 m3/s. Neither drones nor boosts are included in either of these calculations.

One big thing to remember though is that the Skiff has a 15k m3 ore bay while the Covetor has only a 7k m3 ore bay, so you'll have to make a drop more than twice as often with the Covetor as compared to the Skiff. Unless you have a hauler available, you'll have to make a station run about every five minutes with the Covetor, compared to every 12 minutes with the Skiff.

A turnaround of 2 minutes is pretty generous for barges and exhumers, but we'll work with that.

Over about 30 minutes (28 actually), you're mining for 4 drop-cycles in the Covetor (5 minutes of mining, 2 minutes of hauling), but only 2 for the Skiff (12 minutes of mining, 2 minutes of hauling). You end up with about 24 minutes of mining in the Skiff and 20 minutes of mining with the Covetor.

24 minutes in the Skiff @ 21.9 m3/s == 31,536 m3 of ore.
20 minutes in the Covetor @ 24.4 m3/s == 29,280 m3 of ore.

Considering that, in barges and exhumers, you're probably closer to a 3-4 minute turnaround, the whole thing falls so deeply in favor for the Skiff in terms of yield that it's rather comical. At least using a 2-minute turnaround, the Covetor can actually pretend it can compete.

As well, considering the tank difference, the Skiff is going to have about 10x the tank of the Covetor, with the Covetor clocking in around 7-8k EHP, and the Skiff clocking in at 75-80k EHP.

To top it off, the Skiff gets bonuses to drones, and has double the drone bay of the Covetor. With the covetor, you have 50 m3 for your bay and 50 mb bandwidth. You can take medium drones out to protect yourself, but they aren't going to scare too many gankers away. Alternatively, you could take a flight of light drones and a flight of mining drones, which will protect you from belt rats and allow you to mine better, but you have far less of a chance against gankers.

The Skiff, on the other hand, has 100m3 for its drone bay and 50 mb for bandwidth. You can take a flight of bonused medium drones to protect yourself a bit more against gankers, a flight of bonused light drones to fight against the belt rats (assuming they can even overcome your shield regen), and a flight of mining drones.

The tl;dr of this is that the Skiff is better than the Covetor over the long haul if you're mining solo, while the Covetor will win if and only if you are in a fleet with hauling being provided, and you aren't the only Covetor in the fleet (which would make you the primary target of the gankers, second only to a Hulk).

So there you go: The answer to "which mines more ore" is the Covetor, but the answer to "which mines more ore over a prolonged period is the Skiff.

Which is why CCP is a joke for balancing ships. Bestower and sigil have the same problem. Bestower looks superior for its one particular role, but it falls apart with the speed,natural EHP, and fitting comparisons.

Covetor is the same boat. Its so bad in everything else that its easy to make up for the deficiencies in a skiff to completely negate them in the long term, making the covetor just a weakly tanked, inflexible skiff.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#14 - 2015-05-17 18:17:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
13kr1d1 wrote:

Which is why CCP is a joke for balancing ships. Bestower and sigil have the same problem. Bestower looks superior for its one particular role, but it falls apart with the speed,natural EHP, and fitting comparisons.

This again. Shocked

Bestower = Cargohold.
Sigil = Speed & tank.

It is intentional by design.

Train for a Deep Space Transport if you want both!
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#15 - 2015-05-17 18:24:41 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Covetor is the same boat. Its so bad in everything else that its easy to make up for the deficiencies in a skiff to completely negate them in the long term, making the covetor just a weakly tanked, inflexible skiff.

If you're mining in a fleet, the Covetor is going to blow the Skiff so far out of the water that it isn't even worth mentioning. If you have a fleet of Skiffs, you can do some pretty impressive things (just take a look at the Bovril miners in Brave), but when you need a disposable fleet miner that you can afford to lose (and can afford to be SRP'ed), you aren't going to top the Covetor.

Different ships have different purposes. Iroquoiss Pliskin already pointed out the difference between the Bestower and Sigil, which is the same "problem" (that isn't actually a problem) between the Nereus and the Itty V, and the Wreathe and the Mammoth.

The Covetor and Hulk excel as fleet ships, while the Procurer and Skiff excel as defensive ships. If you're mining solo and want pure yield, you go with the Retriever or Mackinaw.

CCP are actually pretty good at balancing ships (nowadays). Of course, as the T3 Destroyers have shown, it may take an extra pass or two.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#16 - 2015-05-17 18:45:02 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
13kr1d1 wrote:

This again. Shocked

Bestower = Cargohold.
Sigil = Speed & tank.

or a blockade runner if you want ludicrous speed!

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#17 - 2015-05-17 20:20:23 UTC
Of course, comparing the skiff and the coveter isn't entirely valid.

If you compare the skiff and the hulk, which is a more valid comparison (skill wise, and cost wise) you'll find the yield of a hulk is about 25% higher than the skiff. Which, if you have a fleet, with hauler support, makes a huge difference (hauler support is so you don't lose time emptying the ore hold into a station, and just keep on mining).

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2015-05-17 20:29:28 UTC  |  Edited by: 13kr1d1
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
13kr1d1 wrote:

This again. Shocked

Bestower = Cargohold.
Sigil = Speed & tank.

if you're in a slower ship, you should have the tank to survive aligning out or burning to gate. If you're in a faster ship, you don't need tank.

Its like saying interceptors are too fragile and need more tank, vs assault frigs shouldn't have as much tank because they're slower and do more damage. Just dumb.

A DST, like a BR, has a number of advantages over a T1 hull, least of which is the high base resists on the hull, in addition to the other special effects and secondary skill bonuses. If you have to say "train for DSTs if you want some tank with your cargospace", when faced with the dilemma of using a sigil or committing suicide by hauling anything in a bestower, there's a severe problem with the bestower. It is useless. A ship shouldn't be useless.

No, you should not have to train for a DST to get some large cargospace that isn't killed by a stiff wind. The sigil simply outperforms the bestower in any area. It is a rule that if you ship things in space, you should have some tank, and that not having tank is being stupid.

At least that used to be a rule. Lets just say that a sigil set up for cargospace outdoes a bestower set up for tank, in both EHP AND cargospace. And then it still has superior warp speed and align time to boot. That is really, really stupid.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-05-18 07:28:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Chan
Kirk Ernaga wrote:
Suicide banking is a very common activity in eve. If you fly a covetor you are a juicy target as your ship may as well be made of paper, were as a skiff or even a procurer can be much harder to kill and thus less likely to be yanked. Also procurers and skiffs are pretty much the only mining ships besides the mining frigates used outside of highsec.

Nobody caught that but it made me chuckle nonetheless. There's nothing for me to say because everybody else covered it but to pretend to stay on topic...

In terms of yield it's Covetor -> Retriever -> Skiff.
In terms of tank Skiff -> Retriever -> Covetor.

If you're mining in the fleet, Covetor will beat the pants off everything if you have logistics hauling the ore outta there.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#20 - 2015-05-18 11:26:26 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
13kr1d1 wrote:

This again. Shocked

Bestower = Cargohold.
Sigil = Speed & tank.

if you're in a slower ship, you should have the tank to survive aligning out or burning to gate. If you're in a faster ship, you don't need tank.

Its like saying interceptors are too fragile and need more tank, vs assault frigs shouldn't have as much tank because they're slower and do more damage. Just dumb.

A DST, like a BR, has a number of advantages over a T1 hull, least of which is the high base resists on the hull, in addition to the other special effects and secondary skill bonuses. If you have to say "train for DSTs if you want some tank with your cargospace", when faced with the dilemma of using a sigil or committing suicide by hauling anything in a bestower, there's a severe problem with the bestower. It is useless. A ship shouldn't be useless.

No, you should not have to train for a DST to get some large cargospace that isn't killed by a stiff wind. The sigil simply outperforms the bestower in any area. It is a rule that if you ship things in space, you should have some tank, and that not having tank is being stupid.

At least that used to be a rule. Lets just say that a sigil set up for cargospace outdoes a bestower set up for tank, in both EHP AND cargospace. And then it still has superior warp speed and align time to boot. That is really, really stupid.

You shouldn't have to train for T2 to move hundreds and bilions in ISK in cargo around? Smile We heard this story before - T2 Transports were useless back then.

They aren't now. Blink
12Next page