These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What if cynos couldn't be lit within 10 kilometers of a station?

First post
Author
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#161 - 2015-05-14 19:56:53 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
13kr1d1 wrote:
**** bestower

Train for an Impel, nub. P

My sigil works twice as well and much cheaper, thanks nub.

Was about to suggest that alternatively, but oh 62.5k m3. Blink
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#162 - 2015-05-14 20:50:08 UTC
The covert is valid when you said a blockade runner/DST is at risk using it. When youre attempting to lecture people about risk particularly around those ships in order to be taken seriously it helps if you know what you're talking about.

The very fact you think a blops cyno would happen on station, or that a DST can use one....leaves me wondering just how much experience of the logistics game you really have as well as leaving me questioning your evaluation of risk levels/logistic cost increase/likely player actions when you don't really know the mechanics involved. It's rather like arguing with Dr Nick Riveria Blink
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#163 - 2015-05-14 20:59:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
afkalt wrote:
The covert is valid when you said a blockade runner/DST is at risk using it.

DSTs can't bridge to covert cynos. Did you know that there exists a whole world of gate to gate travel outside of -> Jump?

Some facerollers apparently didn't - look where that got them. Smile

Quote:
When youre attempting to lecture people about risk particularly around those ships in order to be taken seriously it helps if you know what you're talking about.

You will be free to substitute your JF with 34 BR bridges, if you think putting your jump freighter for 26 seconds at "risk" with not one Soul in local is too much for you to handle. Blink

Quote:
The very fact you think a blops cyno would happen on station, or that a DST can use one....leaves me wondering just how much experience of the logistics game you really have as well as leaving me questioning your evaluation of risk levels/logistic cost increase/likely player actions when you don't really know the mechanics involved.

Yes, keep up with your fantasy and redirection, all the while the topic remains about normal cynos and the issue of JFs. Smile
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#164 - 2015-05-15 04:04:35 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
You have just described a pretty straightforward and natural progression. The first people to the frontier are the ones who want quick riches and don't mind getting killed by the natives. A few years later, you have civilization and government control from sea to shining sea.

Do you really expect any system to remain in the "gold rush" "stake claiming" and "slaughtering natives" stage forever?

Making the game more painful to play will not bring back the frontier. Game mechanics did not bring the empires - with all their bureaucracy and organization - to Eve. Players did. Players organized and imposed order on the universe - because those who could not organize effectively did not survive. If you make the game more painful to play, the best organized groups will still find ways around it. What groups do you think can best organize 1000 players to conduct weekly or monthly freighter move operations? The same ones who can currently control enough space to move their ships in relative safely today.

Honestly, you sound like someone bitching about the pernicious effects of the Transcontinental Railroad in the Internet Age.

I do not envy CCP as they attempt to balance between fighting stagnation in Eve and trying to keep their current players happy. If you can figure out a way to roll back Eve's clock 10 years without killing Eve, I'm sure there is a job for you in Iceland.

I think the big trick is to impose a system where 500 guys working together is fun, 5000 working together is just too much effort and/or not fun, and there is no way to get two or more groups of 5000 to ever work together. Right now to go to SOV null the options are join a big guy, rent from a big guy or get your dreams crushed. That's just not cool.

My take is there is a large difference in what 5000 cfc pilots want to do for fun and what the 8 guys leading it want to do for fun. Take jump fatigue. Those 8 guys put up a massive wall of 'this will end eve', 'subs will be pulled', and so on. What is really happening? Eve stagnation is breaking up a bit. Not everyone is listening to 8 guys give orders. There are rumors of actual meaningful pvp.

I think at the end of the day, if CCP brought back the wild west then 8 angry businessmen would rage quite and 5000 other dudes would quick enough figure what to do next. I really believe that and I really believe they would only be risking 8 subs not 5000 when they do it. We could get philisophical about passive moon isk, SRP being equivalent to eve corprate wellfare and a whole bunch of stuff. How to herd cats AND have fun 301 should be a required course for alliance leaders.

JF cynos moving off the station probably won't change much of anything. As always, the smart and cautious will survive... they'll just have to do a little work to get there. The careless and cocky will get what they deserve. What personally irks me is the free ride JF pilots currently have. No risk is BS. The fact that folks actually argue that it NEEDS to be easy AND risk free to allow others to play the game just rubs my fur wrong on a couple of levels (the entitlement thing).

Final note - a group of 100 men don't need a leader, a group of 100 men creates a leader. Eve and on a grand scale humanity doesn't need any SPECIFIC leader - the group always provides the leadership it needs in due time.

Ahh, another example of, "You're not sandboxing right."

Spare us. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#165 - 2015-05-15 04:10:59 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Here's an odd question that could use some explaining.

How in the sweet bejesus did eve even function before jump freighters???

Apparently EvE was dead before jump freighters were introduced... for about 5+ years it was just a theory game with 50k accounts.

Actually people used carriers stuffed to the gills with haulers in the ship maintenance array. You'd fit the haulers for max cargo, stuff them full of stuff, put them in the carrier and jump to wherever.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Ciba Lexlulu
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#166 - 2015-05-15 05:19:37 UTC
Whle at it, lets change the game mechanic so all freighter cannot warp to zero but to 10km instead. Roll
Arctic Estidal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#167 - 2015-05-15 05:45:36 UTC
This has to be a troll post. It is seriously stupid to be a real suggestion. Only reason it has a lot of people reading it is because Fozzie posted an angry face.

You must not fly a $7b jump freighter if you want to make them easy to get ganked, before you load it up with billions of items.

For everyone in alliances who move items which are not their own, you have now made the jump freighter pilot risk his $7b ship plus all the billions in collateral that he has to put up for the items he is carrying.

So for all the risk, what is the reward? So you can have easier targets because you find PVP to difficult. You now want to fight ships which have no offensive or defensive capabilities. LOL.

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#168 - 2015-05-15 07:30:56 UTC  |  Edited by: 13kr1d1
Arctic Estidal wrote:
This has to be a troll post. It is seriously stupid to be a real suggestion. Only reason it has a lot of people reading it is because Fozzie posted an angry face.

You must not fly a $7b jump freighter if you want to make them easy to get ganked, before you load it up with billions of items.

For everyone in alliances who move items which are not their own, you have now made the jump freighter pilot risk his $7b ship plus all the billions in collateral that he has to put up for the items he is carrying.

So for all the risk, what is the reward? So you can have easier targets because you find PVP to difficult. You now want to fight ships which have no offensive or defensive capabilities. LOL.

All PvP in EvE is consentual. Its far too easy to dock or simply get away if you know when and where to avoid it. There's a million tools to prevent PvP in EvE, there are few tools to ensure it, barring gatecamps. JFs right on top of stations avoid gatecamps.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#169 - 2015-05-15 07:41:26 UTC
Madeleine Brioche wrote:
POST 10K:

1. wait to be alone in system.
2. get bored to wait for hours.
3. sell JF.

Plus add: 1) never happens because with a JF you move goods to trading stations and there is always someone online.

Yesterday my cynoalt was bubbled with an interdiction sphere 12 secs after the cyno went up and I only had 12 ppl in the system at the moment. Good luck in moving goods if such a change is implemented and people start specializing in hunting you. Then the 12 secs are more or less common and no longer an exception.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#170 - 2015-05-15 08:02:30 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Arctic Estidal wrote:

All PvP in EvE is consentual. Its far too easy to dock or simply get away if you know when and where to avoid it. There's a million tools to prevent PvP in EvE, there are few tools to ensure it, barring gatecamps. JFs right on top of stations avoid gatecamps.

And yet a casual glance over killboards reveals 5 JF kills in the last few days. All out of HS empire. In fact more are dying outside HS empire than in.

Evidence suggests that these still die with regularity.
Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#171 - 2015-05-15 08:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Dustpuppy
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:

Are we talking about the NEED or the ABILITY to move large volumes of material? Clearly some people think there is a NEED, that it is important, and that we should have a powerful ABILITY to do that.

We are talking about both. There are structures ingame which exceed the cargo volume of a BR (battle cruiser), you need something bigger to move them. And even if the cargo fits you don't want to go into NS and back again with three frigs stored in a BR when you earn only maybe 6 million isk doing this.

Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Dustpuppy wrote:
Moving high volume goods between low/nullsec and Highsec and within lowsec and nullsec can only be done in a more or less safe way using Jump freighters and their only defense is this cyno/docking game

That's just flat out wrong. Moving high volume goods can be done with a regular freighter and safely. It just can't be done in as manhour and manpower efficient a way, but seeing as how this is a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game . . . that's actually a good thing.

Stop thinking in Goons when you think about corp sizes and the amount of pilots they can assign to move goods. If you don't have 50-100 pilots to protect your stuff you will loose it to any gatecamp in Nullsec. You know how ******* easy it is to point the freighter and focus fire on it and how hard it is for your protection fleet to do something against this? Just kick in a bunch of talos which are also used in HS ganking and alpha them away faster than your protectors can kill the attackers. With a 1 billion isk ship (plus multi billion cargo) it's worth it and you will be able to grab the loot because the others don't have a spare freighter to pick up the remains of the wreck

But instead of talking about theory, let's prove us that you are wrong. I will set up a a contract for you which requires a freighter or a similar ship and you move the goods from Jita to a NPC nullsec station to ensure you can dock. Nothing special, nothing expensive - four station vaults so you can't use a JF. No collateral, just your freighter you might loose

Show me that you can seed a market without a JF, move something for me to D87E-A in Curse.

Let's see if you can moonwalk your freighter through the Gatecamps of Khabi and 7Q and drift through GW. Only 47 jumps to do. Man that's easy according to your suggestion. You just need some protection, I heard Ebola is very active in this region and can even bring some carriers and dreads if needed.

You can also choose the shortest way through HED-GP in Catch. Shorter, less jumps, however I heard in HED you require some more ships to protect stuff.

Or come down the road from Derelik over Doril and VOL-MI. Very attractive. You know PL is around in this area and sometimes you can find up to 250 pilots online in one sys? Good luck.

If anyone else wants to prove me wrong, send an ingame email to Dustpuppy. As said, it's too easy how it is at the moment and some risks have to be added. Show me that you are right.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#172 - 2015-05-15 08:38:53 UTC
Dustpuppy wrote:
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:

Are we talking about the NEED or the ABILITY to move large volumes of material? Clearly some people think there is a NEED, that it is important, and that we should have a powerful ABILITY to do that.

We are talking about both. There are structures ingame which exceed the cargo volume of a BR (battle cruiser), you need something bigger to move them. And even if the cargo fits you don't want to go into NS and back again with three frigs stored in a BR when you earn only maybe 6 million isk doing this.

Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Dustpuppy wrote:
Moving high volume goods between low/nullsec and Highsec and within lowsec and nullsec can only be done in a more or less safe way using Jump freighters and their only defense is this cyno/docking game

That's just flat out wrong. Moving high volume goods can be done with a regular freighter and safely. It just can't be done in as manhour and manpower efficient a way, but seeing as how this is a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game . . . that's actually a good thing.

Stop thinking in Goons when you think about corp sizes and the amount of pilots they can assign to move goods. If you don't have 50-100 pilots to protect your stuff you will loose it to any gatecamp in Nullsec. You know how ******* easy it is to point the freighter and focus fire on it and how hard it is for your protection fleet to do something against this? Just kick in a bunch of talos which are also used in HS ganking and alpha them away faster than your protectors can kill the attackers. With a 1 billion isk ship (plus multi billion cargo) it's worth it and you will be able to grab the loot because the others don't have a spare freighter to pick up the remains of the wreck

But instead of talking about theory, let's prove us that you are wrong. I will set up a a contract for you which requires a freighter or a similar ship and you move the goods from Jita to a NPC nullsec station to ensure you can dock. Nothing special, nothing expensive - four station vaults so you can't use a JF. No collateral, just your freighter you might loose

Show me that you can seed a market without a JF, move something for me to D87E-A in Curse.

Let's see if you can moonwalk your freighter through the Gatecamps of Khabi and 7Q and drift through GW. Only 47 jumps to do. Man that's easy according to your suggestion. You just need some protection, I heard Ebola is very active in this region and can even bring some carriers and dreads if needed.

You can also choose the shortest way through HED-GP in Catch. Shorter, less jumps, however I heard in HED you require some more ships to protect stuff.

Or come down the road from Derelik over Doril and VOL-MI. Very attractive. You know PL is around in this area and sometimes you can find up to 250 pilots online in one sys? Good luck.

If anyone else wants to prove me wrong, send an ingame email to Dustpuppy. As said, it's too easy how it is at the moment and some risks have to be added. Show me that you are right.

This post should be enshrined in a sticky.

I know that area of space fairly well, the locals would be over you like piranhas. They'd even set aside local differences for the fight too.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#173 - 2015-05-15 09:18:06 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Arctic Estidal wrote:

Don't mind them.

Twenty five seconds vulnerability on a trip that would otherwise involve putting your freighter at RISK each time you go through a new system times the number of systems - that is unfathomable.

Broken mechanic will be fixed soon enough, just as SKYNET was. Blink
Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#174 - 2015-05-15 09:48:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Dustpuppy
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:

Twenty five seconds vulnerability on a trip that would otherwise involve putting your freighter at RISK each time you go through a new system times the number of systems - that is unfathomable.

I am pretty sure you don't fly capitals because otherwise you wouldn't call 25 seconds in space "low risk". As I have mentioned, there are many places which aren't under SOV control and aren't quiet and empty. Any NPC area falls into this category.

But because you like maths, do me a favor and calculate me the risk of loosing a ship when the following rules apply:

The cyno is light and becomes visible. Now the clock is running...
You switch to the JF pilot or tell your colleague to jump over TS. Jumping to the cyno requires the same amount of seconds like using a gate - 5 seconds. After arrival your ship (without webber) requires 26 seconds to enter warp. This sums up to 31 seconds plus some additional reaction time for moving your ship away from the cyno.

Your cyno is bubbled with an interdiction probe 12 seconds after you have light it. An interdiction sphere has a range of 20km while you land 5km off the cyno so you are 100% warp scrambled after that point. Launching a probe can done without a lock, no delays here while your webber needs a lock after your JF became visible.

Based on what I have found in reality you have less than 7 seconds time after you appeared in the target system with the JF to dock until the first enemy is on grid. Now the calculation: How many webbers do you need to reduce the required time so your JF can enter warp? It must go down from 26 seconds to less than at least 5 seconds.

And please don't come up with "quiet space" where the above procedure isn't required or I will also assign a contract to you to bring in goods into a NPC station of my choice.
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#175 - 2015-05-15 09:54:48 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Apparently EvE was dead before jump freighters were introduced... for about 5+ years it was just a theory game with 50k accounts.

Before JFs, people used carriers as pseudo JFs. Before that, nullsec had no functioning economy and almost no PvE occurred there, it was simply too high risk and little reward. Belt ratting was half the isk/hr of highsec level fours and had considerable risk as well.

Today, nullsec has tons of PvE content and thus people need ships to do that content. Back then, the only PvE content in nullsec worth doing was the static complexes, all of which were claimed by an alliance and farmed regularly. The real draw of nullsec was the R64s, and alliances formed to hold them. Nullsec had no economy, most corps used a Communist system with a high tax rate to keep people out of highsec and had a doctrine of 2 or 3 ships that would get bought in Jita and freighter oped down, ops that were so ****** corp members had to be dragged on them kicking and screaming. The game was very boring when scheduled PvP ops for which you were provided ships weren't going on, most people had out of corp alts based in highsec to run level fours and/or PvP in lowsec.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#176 - 2015-05-15 10:00:25 UTC
Dustpuppy wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:

you wouldn't call 25 seconds in space "low risk".

Yes. Call it just risk.

Quote:
The cyno is light and becomes visible. Now the clock is running...
You switch to the JF pilot or tell your colleague to jump over TS. Jumping to the cyno requires the same amount of seconds like using a gate - 5 seconds. After arrival your ship (without webber) requires 26 seconds to enter warp. This sums up to 31 seconds plus some additional reaction time for moving your ship away from the cyno.

Your cyno is bubbled with an interdiction probe 12 seconds after you have light it. An interdiction sphere has a range of 20km while you land 5km off the cyno so you are 100% warp scrambled after that point. Launching a probe can done without a lock, no delays here while your webber needs a lock after your JF became visible.

Get some proper scouts. Smile

And then a webber. Smile

And then an escort. Smile

High stakes, high-er rewards.

Invulnerability -> Jump -> Invulnerability -> Jump -> Invulnerability -> Jump -> Invulnerability -> Jump ->

Quote:
Please don't come up with "quiet space" or I will also assign a contract to you to bring in goods into a NPC station of my choice.

There's going to be a lot of quiet space with the new Citadels coming out. Smile
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#177 - 2015-05-15 10:14:35 UTC
All this "invulnerability", perhaps you can explain the JF deaths this week alone?
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#178 - 2015-05-15 10:15:35 UTC
afkalt wrote:
All this "invulnerability", perhaps you can explain the JF deaths this week alone?

Convo the pilots, get their stories.

Should be fascinating. Smile
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#179 - 2015-05-15 10:17:21 UTC
Xequecal wrote:
13kr1d1 wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Before JFs, people used carriers as pseudo JFs. Before that, nullsec had no functioning economy and almost no PvE occurred there, it was simply too high risk and little reward. Belt ratting was half the isk/hr of highsec level fours and had considerable risk as well.

Today, nullsec has tons of PvE content and thus people need ships to do that content. Back then, the only PvE content in nullsec worth doing was the static complexes, all of which were claimed by an alliance and farmed regularly. The real draw of nullsec was the R64s, and alliances formed to hold them. Nullsec had no economy, most corps used a Communist system with a high tax rate to keep people out of highsec and had a doctrine of 2 or 3 ships that would get bought in Jita and freighter oped down, ops that were so ****** corp members had to be dragged on them kicking and screaming. The game was very boring when scheduled PvP ops for which you were provided ships weren't going on, most people had out of corp alts based in highsec to run level fours and/or PvP in lowsec.

No no no. History isn't right. It's all about perception and the politics of envy.

Also babysitting is FUN don't you know, especially when the ENTIRE REGION will come dogpile on you.

Apparently the reward of facilitating content for thousands of people needs more risk so people can get cheap kills Roll
Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#180 - 2015-05-15 10:37:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Dustpuppy
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:

Yes. Call it just risk.

Simple request: can you please answer a single question instead of using obscure messages which only show that you cannot answer them?

So here again is a concrete question:
How many webbers are required to bring down the align time from 26 seconds to 5 seconds?

Without being able to do this you are unable to jump into any system where someone else is there. This makes restocking any NPC lowsec/nullsec station impossible because the goods you move there attract buyers. Buyers mean pilots in space making restocking impossible. So in the end this idea will kill any NPC lowsec/nullsec region. As soon a the local trade hubs are gone people will leave.

Your idea with escort/scout is bullshit. PL alphas Jump freighters with drive by titans. You don't spot a cyno alt and when the light goes up it's too late. Even when you don't bring in big guns a single point is enough to pin the freighter to the place and then bring in ships to kill.

So again: how many webbers? Without webbers it's not a risk, it's suicide.