These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Influencing the Cost Index?

Author
Shakuul
Infinitus Sapientia
#1 - 2015-05-13 19:15:54 UTC
Are there any estimates out there of how much adding say 20 slots running continuously to a system will increase the cost index? I thought cost index was supposed to be a function of your system's share of global EVE manufacturing, so I wouldn't think that adding a few slots would influence it that much, but recently it seems like I have bumped the cost index up in my own system up from ~2% to ~3%. Does this make sense or is it just coincidental?

If cost indices are calculated daily, does it make sense to dance back and forth between 2 systems running multi-day jobs to minimize costs?
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#2 - 2015-05-14 22:44:11 UTC
Yes, the bump in index is normal.

You could spread the load, but it's doubtful that it's a worthwhile use of your time. Probably better to consider it a cost of doing business.

Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#3 - 2015-05-15 03:58:55 UTC
Shakuul wrote:
I thought cost index was supposed to be a function of your system's share of global EVE manufacturing, so I wouldn't think that adding a few slots would influence it that much, but recently it seems like I have bumped the cost index up in my own system up from ~2% to ~3%. Does this make sense or is it just coincidental?

It's pretty easy to bump the index. I bump my build system from ~1.5% to ~8% each time I start a build cycle.

Shakuul wrote:
If cost indices are calculated daily,

They are not calculated daily.

I believe it happens approximately once per hour. So I wait until just after it updates before quickly ramming all my jobs in.

Shakuul wrote:
does it make sense to dance back and forth between 2 systems running multi-day jobs to minimize costs?

It can do, but if you do 30+ day jobs and then wait a few days for the index to fall back before starting the next batch of 30+ day jobs you can keep the index down without adopting a migration pattern.

It really depends how significant the job cost is to your particular operation. Sometimes job cost savings are your entire margin, sometimes they are a drop in the ocean and you can just start your jobs in Jita 4-4 at ~10.5% and laugh.
PyroSinus
Void.Technical Academy
#4 - 2015-05-21 23:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: PyroSinus
Assuming a zero index system; if I were to put in 60 jobs, each taking roughly 20 hours to complete then rinse and repeat daily for a couple weeks, what would the index jump to? How long would it take to decay assuming I was the only one building there.

Is there an algorithm published to predict the costing?
Vibiana
Frontier Trading Company
#5 - 2015-05-22 13:51:52 UTC
Try and report it? Isn't it the not boring part of manufacturing?

Also you can find your competitor's system and bump their index :D
Abadayos
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2015-05-22 21:34:00 UTC
For what I produce across several maxed out characters for RnD and Manufacturing, the index seems to spike up a few 0.1% points during 'prime time' and drops down to a low around roughly down-time, thus I plan out my jobs around that. Granted the savings I make are small and the percentage of profits spent on the fees isn't worth worrying about, it is something to consider if, as stated above, the profit margins ARE that few percent. However saying that, it may be better to look into producing a more profitable product rather than system dancing as the time lost in doing so is lost potential profit earning.
Adriana Nolen
Sama Guild
#7 - 2015-05-28 04:55:55 UTC
Step 1: Move to system w/o manufacturing stations.
Step 2: Wardecs & Jihads on every pos.