These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

When dx12 is out and our pc's dramatically improve graphics wise

Author
April Cross
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-05-13 16:09:40 UTC
Will the only setback in fleet battles be TIDI?
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-05-13 16:56:50 UTC
April Cross wrote:

You do realize TiDi is the only reason the fight actually happen instead of the node just shitting itself and giving the second side to join black screens?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2015-05-13 17:06:58 UTC
Also, isn't graphics already not much of a problem, even in fleet battles?
Solecist Project
#4 - 2015-05-13 17:07:25 UTC
Company: [The next thing] is the best thing ever !
People: YAY GIVE US [THE NEXT THING], IT'S THE BEST THING EVER !!

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Solecist Project
#5 - 2015-05-13 17:08:41 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Brackets.
Brackets everywhere....

DX12 will raise these brackets to a completely new level !

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Teinyhr
Ourumur
#6 - 2015-05-13 17:12:00 UTC
I'm amused that the OP thinks the majority of EVE players would have DX12 capable setups before 2022. Seriously I think something like 30% of EVE players were still using Windows XP a mere couple of years ago.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-05-13 17:23:41 UTC
Tippia wrote:

It can be if you are running an old POS computer. I'm pretty sure such computer would total out on CPU choking before graphic tho. A POS won't have the hardware to even try to run the new bells and whistle CCP added to the game like the lighting effect so you are stuck with your CPU having to handle all those brackets and other things before the graphic even has to display it.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-05-13 17:25:16 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Company: [The next thing] is the best thing ever !
People: YAY GIVE US [THE NEXT THING], IT'S THE BEST THING EVER !!

The fun fact is that they are ususally right about their own field. Dx 12 will be better than Dx 11. The real issue is when will we actually see the improvement it brings.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#9 - 2015-05-13 17:28:05 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
It can be if you are running an old POS computer. I'm pretty sure such computer would total out on CPU choking before graphic tho. A POS won't have the hardware to even try to run the new bells and whistle CCP added to the game like the lighting effect so you are stuck with your CPU having to handle all those brackets and other things before the graphic even has to display it.

Fair enough, but then again, that's not something a new DX version will fix since it's still old POS hardware that would just be confused by the optimisations.

And yeah, I suppose there's still the brackets. Then again, one the one hand, good bracket management is kind required anyway to not just be looking at a visual representation of Jackson Pollock's hangover, and on the other hand if there's anything DX12 will definitely not improve, it is hideously inefficiently written 2D overlays. P
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-05-13 17:36:03 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:

Fair enough, but then again, that's not something a new DX version will fix since it's still old POS hardware that would just be confused by the optimisations.

And yeah, I suppose there's still the brackets. Then again, one the one hand, good bracket management is kind required anyway to not just be looking at a visual representation of Jackson Pollock's hangover, and on the other hand if there's anything DX12 will definitely not improve, it is hideously inefficiently written 2D overlays. P

The POS hardware won't be confused by the Dx 12 optimisation. It will simply not run it because the code path contain command the hardware cannot resolve. Programs can't force hardware to run DX 11 code on a DX 9 graphic card for example. Either the devs also provided a DX 9 code path or you can't run the effect/program at all.

DX 9c was a big deal at some point because games were starting to no longer provide path for anything below so people who had bough high end board from DX 8 generation or DX 9 were getting dropped of support before low grade stuff for newer generation because even tho it could not push the pixels fast enough, it could at least run the code.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#11 - 2015-05-13 17:37:48 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
The POS hardware won't be confused by the Dx 12 optimisation. It will simply not run it because the code path contain command the hardware cannot resolve.

1. CCP programming.
2. Someone will post a “here's how to force the rendering path” hack.

You know it will happen. Blink
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-05-13 17:41:25 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
The POS hardware won't be confused by the Dx 12 optimisation. It will simply not run it because the code path contain command the hardware cannot resolve.

1. CCP programming.
2. Someone will post a “here's how to force the rendering path” hack.

You know it will happen. Blink

They have to re-write the code which mean modifying the client which mean a hammer swing from CCP. If someone does it, I hope we get tears from the resulting bans too feed off.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#13 - 2015-05-13 17:45:07 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
They have to re-write the code which mean modifying the client which mean a hammer swing from CCP. If someone does it, I hope we get tears from the resulting bans too feed off.

I think they'll be to knocked out from laughing at the bugs & workaround threads to have any time left over for bans, but sure.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-05-13 18:07:24 UTC
April Cross wrote:

Ah yes, because the reason the node crashes is because the server has to render the graphics for everyone in the system...

Please do your research before making stupid statements like this. Server side lag has absolutely nothing to do with graphics of any sort.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#15 - 2015-05-13 18:48:11 UTC
I went to go watch a fleet fight in b-r a while back, and my PC crapped itself. My settings are pretty much all on high with nearly everything turned on. if I turned a few things off, or down, or had any sort of proper bracket settings I wonder how much nicer it would have been?

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#16 - 2015-05-13 18:49:57 UTC
CCP, please remove TiDi for a few months and let us go back to the lagfest blackscreen battles of old so some people may realize just how good we have it now.

10/10, would full TiDi vs what we used to have even in a 100v100 fight anyday.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Jenshae Chiroptera
#17 - 2015-05-13 18:55:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
Teinyhr wrote:
I'm amused that the OP thinks the majority of EVE players would have DX12 capable setups before 2022. Seriously I think something like 30% of EVE players were still using Windows XP a mere couple of years ago.
Win XP is in the past?
This machine is using Win XP, the other Ubuntu ... though, I have decided to get away from Micro$h**. P

EVE manages to host the biggest PVP battles and people complain about a little TiDi.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Stacy Lone
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-05-13 19:07:09 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
The fun fact is that they are ususally right about their own field. Dx 12 will be better than Dx 11. The real issue is when will we actually see the improvement it brings.

Depends on what you mean by "better".

DX12 will make it easier to produce pretty graphics, and will even make some effects possible that were out of reach to do in realtime nowadays.

But, this doesn't mean that anything runs better on OLD hardware. In fact, it might even run worse on old hardware. Because drivers will be forced to emulate some things in software that new graphic cards can do on hardware, thus making some things very inefficient on old hardware.

So yeah, new isn't better for everything. If you get a new graphics card after DX12 comes out, it will be better. And if the application you are running takes advantage of it, it will be even better. But if you do neither, you'll likely end up with worse performance, or equal.

Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#19 - 2015-05-13 19:17:34 UTC
I didn't realize DX12 was going to offer server-side improvements to DirectX games. Holy moley, this is ground-breaking!

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Jenshae Chiroptera
#20 - 2015-05-13 19:21:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
On a tangent: Software and hardware are very interchangeable.
Hardware is much faster and can be more costly to produce / design.
Software is more adaptable.
It is possible to use a plug from a mother board directly to a screen and have a purely software "graphics" card, for example.

In an ideal word, pretty much every thing is hardware with only a minimal driver telling the card what to do. The more bloated Direct X becomes, the more useless.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

123Next page