These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Shake my Citadel

First post First post
Author
Aryth
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#21 - 2015-05-12 15:35:37 UTC
Any thoughts on the deployment mechanics. Are these things going to have huge initial timers to construct?

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

CCP Ytterbium
C C P
C C P Alliance
#22 - 2015-05-12 15:35:54 UTC
EvilweaselSA wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
EvilweaselSA wrote:
Are these things intended to have offices and markets? I'm sort of puzzled by what looks like a deathstar pos replacement being in the 'old' office/market category and trying to wrap my head around what exactly this is going to do.


This will be the most easily defended structure, and have bonuses to office capacity and market functionality.

The intention is this is the best place to put all your stuff, hence it has the most fortress like appearance.

So is this sort of a cross between a pos and an outpost? Is there any feel for if you're going to be able to, say, set up a capital staging citidel without spending what you would on an outpost replacement?

I suppose a better question might be where is the main cost of this structure going to be: in the upgrades, or in the hull?


No definite price checks yet, but building an XL should have the same level of commitment as an outpost.

However, upgrading the thing with rigs is going to cost much more, since they're going to take over outpost upgrades / improvements.

Building and upgrading smaller structures will require far much less commitment and resources.
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2015-05-12 15:36:46 UTC
(AoE) defenses....

>:D yes please...

No Worries

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2015-05-12 15:36:47 UTC
Isengrimus wrote:
Two questions:

- How will "vulnerability" and "destructibility" interact? How would you protect a structure that you want to capture, rather than to destroy? Will you be able to do it at all? How will you avoid accidental killings?


Heh, it will need to be a very clear system given that, generally speaking, eve players are stupid.

"Don't shoot the can"
"Don't shoot the can"
"Don't shoot the can"
"Just to be clear, absolutely no-one shoot the can"
...
*sigh* "Who shot the can?"
Papa Django
Materials Harvesting Kombinat
#25 - 2015-05-12 15:38:13 UTC
Is there a limitation to the distance between 2 structures and the distance between a sov structure and theses new structures ?
CCP Ytterbium
C C P
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2015-05-12 15:40:45 UTC
Papa Django wrote:
Is there a limitation to the distance between 2 structures and the distance between a sov structure and theses new structures ?


There will be deployment restrictions, yes.

Mainly to avoid people to be insta-omg-BBQ-blapped when coming out of warp / stations, to avoid having space where structure defenses overlap or have them hidden inside landmarks or other anomaly sites.
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
Villore Accords
#27 - 2015-05-12 15:41:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Thanatos Marathon
First, I have to say I am super excited about the path structures are taking!

The impression I get is that the defenses will have the option to be managed by a player to operate? Is that correct? If a player does interact with the defenses will they take standings loss for shooting something like they would if they were in a normal ship?

Example: AoE weapon is activated by myself with a mix of enemy and friendly ships/drones nearby (friendlies forgot to ball up, undocked, etc). Will my standings be absolutely torched?
Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#28 - 2015-05-12 15:41:29 UTC
Quote:
They are going to require a new line of skills to operate, but most likely use existing gunnery and / or missile support skills. More details as we get them.

Will they also require the Starbase Defense Management skill in some form?
Isengrimus
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#29 - 2015-05-12 15:42:31 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Isengrimus wrote:
Two questions:

- How will "vulnerability" and "destructibility" interact? How would you protect a structure that you want to capture, rather than to destroy? Will you be able to do it at all? How will you avoid accidental killings?


Heh, it will need to be a very clear system given that, generally speaking, eve players are stupid.

"Don't shoot the can"
"Don't shoot the can"
"Don't shoot the can"
"Just to be clear, absolutely no-one shoot the can"
...
*sigh* "Who shot the can?"



Bah, given the AoE defences, I can perfectly imagine a situation where the Citadel kills itself with a well-aimed torpedo to a knee... I mean the nearest battleship or something. Lol
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2015-05-12 15:44:30 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

No definite price checks yet, but building an XL should have the same level of commitment as an outpost.

However, upgrading the thing with rigs is going to cost much more, since they're going to take over outpost upgrades / improvements.

Building and upgrading smaller structures will require far much less commitment and resources.

Gotcha, thanks. You mention that things like cloning/offices/market is an upgrade. Are those the rig sort of upgrades you mention? Or are they going to be balanced primarily by fitting, where the more outpost-like the less defenses it gets? Or will they sort of be default stuff that any normal XL has, once you've verified they work well enough to start taking them out of outposts?
Steven Hackett
Ehefkae
#31 - 2015-05-12 15:46:39 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Remember we have a lot more developer blogs to come regarding these structures, but early feedback on this will be much appreciated!

Only early feedback I am able to come with is that these structures seems like a nice idea for NS while they seem to completely and utterly ruin W-space. I hope these aren't the only kind of structures you are working on to replace POSes. (No bumping free zone, docking, personal storage - this is all stuff that will ruin at least my way of life in EVE Online.)

I do feel that all these dev blogs only focus on Null-sec gameplay. It would be nice if you would explain how these structures act in a sov free enviroment.
RainReaper
Bras-Tek Industries
Nefatari Union
#32 - 2015-05-12 15:47:44 UTC
Is there a possibility to get an ETA for when we get this thing on to the test server so we can start testing the damn thing?
Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#33 - 2015-05-12 15:49:26 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
When do we get some news on these new structures and how or if they will interact in wormhole space?


We want most of those structures to be available in W-space, but with some special restrictions if need be.



Please let me build all the structures. I have spent 2 years developing Origin and really want to be able to build it up into an awesome space civilisation. Do not kneecap wormhole space just for the sake of making it different, I beg of you.
Pestilen Ratte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-05-12 15:56:39 UTC
Looks like some really good work being done by this team.

Thanks!
Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#35 - 2015-05-12 15:57:42 UTC
Will freighters/jump freighters/Orcas/Rorquals be able to dock at Medium/Large structures?
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2015-05-12 15:59:19 UTC
I can anchor them just for me personally (not corp, alliance), correct?

Why you want to scrap the force fields? It's a cool SciFi element, at least keep the visuals.

I'm my own NPC alt.

CCP Ytterbium
C C P
C C P Alliance
#37 - 2015-05-12 15:59:24 UTC
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
First, I have to say I am super excited about the path structures are taking!

The impression I get is that the defenses will have the option to be managed by a player to operate? Is that correct? If a player does interact with the defenses will they take standings loss for shooting something like they would if they were in a normal ship?

Example: AoE weapon is activated by myself with a mix of enemy and friendly ships/drones nearby (friendlies forgot to ball up, undocked, etc). Will my standings be absolutely torched?


Unlike existing Starbases, you won't need multiple guys to operate the weapons. Those structures will be like ships, so you will only need one guy to control them all. The Starbase Defense Management skill will be reworked into something else or refunded when Starbases are removed.

Regarding standings, this would in essence be the same situatin than launching a bomb into a pack of friendlies Twisted. Those are AoE weapons, be careful where you shoot them.
Aeril Malkyre
Knights of the Ouroboros
#38 - 2015-05-12 15:59:37 UTC
No amount of details can ever be enough. But this all looks amazing.

Please keep W-space in your thoughts when designing these and the mechanics. When POSs retire, I still want to be able to live in a wormhole in maybe one of the mediums.

Also: Towers with drones is just... like the coolest thing. I want it now.
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
#39 - 2015-05-12 16:01:13 UTC
OMG DRONES! YES MORE DRONES! Can we have Valkyrie characters pilot those fighters!?!
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#40 - 2015-05-12 16:01:16 UTC
Can someone explain to me why Citadels start at 'Medium'? What happened to small Citadels?