These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The scanning interface from the viewpoint of a Dyspraxic person

First post
Author
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-05-08 16:21:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
It makes little to no sense.
The information being relayed is uninformative and makes the scanning process as a whole a futile exercise in frustration

Why it's problem:
Spatial Awareness - People with Dyspraxia don't have it.
Depth Perception - People with Dyspraxia don't have it.

Moving objects 3 dimensionally within a 2 dimensional interface simply adds a layer of obfuscation to the process and denies access to several areas of the game.

Is there a solution ?
I don't know...
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2015-05-08 16:49:03 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
The information being relayed is uninformative and makes the scanning process as a whole a futile exercise in frustration

Why it's problem:

Moving objects 3 dimensionally within a 2 dimensional interface simply adds a layer of obfuscation to the process and denies access to several areas of the game.

Is there a solution ?
I don't know...

On the off-chance that this is legit...

How the hell do you play EVE with no spacial awareness? I'm genuinely curious.
God's Apples
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#3 - 2015-05-08 17:02:45 UTC
Just like the rest of eve. Stare at broadcast window and mash f1 while orbiting an fc. No spatial awareness required.

"Hydra Reloaded are just jealous / butthurt on me / us because we can get tons of PVP action in empire while they aren't good enough to get that." - NightmareX

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-05-08 17:25:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
ShahFluffers wrote:

On the off-chance that this is legit...

How the hell do you play EVE with no spacial awareness? I'm genuinely curious.

Clicking icons on the overview isn't really a problem ...

for the most part eve can be played entirely just by interacting with the overview
visual things in the background are relegated to just eye-candy ..
selecting targets from the main view ... not going to happen

eve isn't an FPS style game and is therefore more accessible

[edit]
I'll give you a little background info.

Yes, I have completed the scanning tutorial offered by the career agent.
However, completing those assignments took a lot of time.

Considering the tutorial signatures are significantly easier to successfully scan, I still had to recall and re-launch the probes as the timer was below 5 minutes remaining on more than one occasion.

Now move that process to a inside a wormhole or hi/lo/nulsec, with a harder to scan for signature ....
I'm sure you get the picture.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#5 - 2015-05-08 17:44:00 UTC
Removed some off topic posts.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Iain Cariaba
#6 - 2015-05-08 18:31:11 UTC
Zoom in closer.

I've got a corpmate with full blown cerebral palsey, and he manages just fine.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#7 - 2015-05-08 18:46:59 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Zoom in closer.

I've got a corpmate with full blown cerebral palsey, and he manages just fine.

Cerebral palsey is more motor control issues. This is a spacial processing issue.

As far as I can tell, there is no good way to make exploration managable for someone with this issue and retain the intended flavor of the activity. And for once, it's not HTFU, but sorry to hear about the condition.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Leto Aramaus
Frog Team Four
Of Essence
#8 - 2015-05-08 19:26:39 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:

Why it's problem:

Is there a solution ?
I don't know...

I don't think there is a solution, unfortunately.

*Correction, I don't think there's a solution that doesn't involve the Devs building a completely separate 2D interface just for a tiny minority of handicapped players.

Sorry.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#9 - 2015-05-08 21:18:04 UTC
I used to know a guy who had something like this,

Sports field ---------->The House for a quick sammich -----------> forest with nothing in it

was not unlike his normal route for running from the sports field to the house to get a sandwitch before going back to the field (and yes they were litterally 180 degrees distant, he just couldnt work it right...

Now I also dont much like the 3d in 2d thing the scanner has you do but the way i do my "work around" is to scroll it in 2d until it is over the target zone, then turn the camera ~90 degrees and scroll and repeat as often as it takes... Protip DO NOT SELECT THE CUBE, select the ARROW then you are locked into a "move this in 1 dimention" at a time.

Is it ideal, no, but it works. Well it works for me, and maybe it works for you too...

As for "how to fix it" well i dont think we even can at this point. I mean i dont ask my 100% colorblind uncle to play games that involve colors that he cant differentiate in "shades of grey o vision".
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#10 - 2015-05-09 18:38:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
A good friend of mine in RL has this same issue, watching him struggle with the scan interface (especially the new one) hen he visits here I applaud your desire and your determination to even try.

I have heard talk that you can disable the new scan interface returning you to the old style if that is possible and someone else here can tell you how, or you can discover how that may help. I wil continue to try and discover how and post bask here if I can find it.

Given the state of the scan interface my only suggestion echos that offered by FireFrenzy above.
By interacting with the interface from as close to a 2 dimensional object as possible it might make it easier.
So to repeat what was posted by FireFrenzy and from my frineds experiences here we go.

Working from the top of the screen rotate it as far downward as you can, this will give you a top down view of your probes.
Rotate left/right until the control arrows on the probes are pointing straight up/down and left/right. By doing this and by using the arrow keys as mentioned by FireFrenzy this will give you control of the probes location in the x / y axis only and eliminate any possibility of moving them along the z axis.

Now starting from the bottom of the screen rotate the view upwards by 90 degrees so you are looking at your probes from the side, again rotate until the arrows are pointing left/ right. At this point you should be looking at the probes from a side view and again using up / down arrows only you can now move the probes on the z axis only.

I hope this will help you even to some small degree and I want to thank FireFrenzy for posting the basic bones of this idea allowing me to elaborate a little more on the procedure.