These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Lowsec Pipebombing

Author
Mr Deleted
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-05-07 06:26:59 UTC
So it's not so much a new citizen question but a rather interesting question nonetheless

If I set up a safe in between two gates with a smartbombing battleship lets say, can I blow someone up if they just happen to magically be warping past me as I use my smartbombs or are they invulnerable in warp?

Yes I know it might be astronomically impossible to do this, but it is a question, and I wonder if it can be done
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#2 - 2015-05-07 06:53:13 UTC
Ships coming out of warp, sure.

Ships actually in warp at their 1au/sec plus? No. The way server synch cycles are timed, you wouldn't even appear as a blip on grid. Have to have a bubble.
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#3 - 2015-05-07 11:09:22 UTC
You are invulnerable in warp. The server treats you special like.

But smart bombing gates works fine. Most in lowsec won't bother as much with pings since they are not scared of bubbles. Getting the smartbomb timing right however is quite hard.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Rammel Kas
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2015-05-07 11:36:10 UTC
You can usually bet on a fair bit of this happening whenever a large bloc ships house. Recent examples in low sec Aridia.

The smart bomber doesn't always get it though. Like another post said... timing is difficult to get right.
Memphis Baas
#5 - 2015-05-07 11:51:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
You probably won't be able to do much with just 1 pilot: the gate itself has to be just outside the smartbomb range, and with no bubbles to drag victims into the perfect position, you need to cover the volume around the gate with your bubbles of death. You could just cover the most common approaches (from the other stargates), but being lowsec, people will be smarter / more wary, and will probably use tactical bookmark approaches, or at the very least, bounce to planets first.

And yes, timing. It may help to get a feel for how many seconds it takes a frigate, industrial, cruiser, battleship to arrive, once the scouts observe them warping away in your direction.

EDIT: Guide. Can't find the one with the pictures showing how your smartbomb bubbles should be positioned around the gate.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-05-07 12:30:17 UTC
Just sit 10km off the gate in line with another gate and cloak up. When you see a pod on short scan decloak and start your smart bombs.

See this guy's killboard for reference (if you go back far enough you'll find yours truly Big smile).

Memphis Baas wrote:
but being lowsec, people will be smarter / more wary, and will probably use tactical bookmark approaches, or at the very least, bounce to planets first.

In my experience, not really. Smart bombers in lowsec are fairly rare and since bubbles don't exist in low people are very lax about using tacticals. People just passing through will warp gate-to-gate 99% of the time. Of course unless they are in a pod or a lightly tanked frigate a single smartbomber isn't going to harm them anyway. That's why notorious smart bombers like the one I linked tend to operate in Faction Warfare space where there are plenty of pods warping about to reship after frigate fights.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Solecist Project
#7 - 2015-05-07 13:17:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Ships coming out of warp, sure.

Ships actually in warp at their 1au/sec plus? No. The way server synch cycles are timed, you wouldn't even appear as a blip on grid. Have to have a bubble.

Not correct.
You can see ships on your overview when you pass them by in warp.

Oh and I went a few times now through Rancer,
taking the Hek-Jita shortcut.

In my pod.

Nothing happened. :/

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Memphis Baas
#8 - 2015-05-07 14:24:02 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
In my experience, not really. Smart bombers in lowsec are fairly rare and since bubbles don't exist in low people are very lax about using tacticals.

Well, they're blinking in the Local list from the aggression flags, so it's somewhat of a giveaway that something's going on. That said, yeah people may be very lax anyway (I was, heh).
Degnar Oskold
Moira.
#9 - 2015-05-07 14:52:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Degnar Oskold
Lowsec dwellers rely on knowing with toons smartbomb in order to decide whether to warp directly gate to gate or not.

For example, if Santo Traficante or Catelyn Stoneheart are in local, no smart person would ever warp straight to any celestial. If none of the people in system are confirmed smartbombers, lowsec dwellers will almost always warp straight to a gate.

This gives an opportunity for new or infrequent smartbombers to have short periods of massive success, until they become known.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#10 - 2015-05-08 04:36:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Mr Deleted wrote:
So it's not so much a new citizen question but a rather interesting question nonetheless

If I set up a safe in between two gates with a smartbombing battleship lets say, can I blow someone up if they just happen to magically be warping past me as I use my smartbombs or are they invulnerable in warp?

Yes I know it might be astronomically impossible to do this, but it is a question, and I wonder if it can be done

Invulnerable in warp, but have you ever heard of Rancer?

Probably the smartbomb capital of lowsec, with battleships sitting on gates. [Because of EVE geometry, the larger the ship, the larger the effective radius of a smatbomb.]

https://zkillboard.com/system/30002718/

I don't have have many systems on my "avoid" list, but Rancer was the first I added.
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#11 - 2015-05-08 12:18:18 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Mr Deleted wrote:

Invulnerable in warp, but have you ever heard of Rancer?

Probably the smartbomb capital of lowsec, with battleships sitting on gates. [Because of EVE geometry, the larger the ship, the larger the effective radius of a smatbomb.]

https://zkillboard.com/system/30002718/

I don't have have many systems on my "avoid" list, but Rancer was the first I added.

Ever since united left rancer it's rather dead.
Being able to several times fly the Hek-Jita route in a pod is frustrating.
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -