These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Curious about future updates involving gatecamps

First post
Author
Annemarie Menis
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-05-06 01:54:10 UTC
Hi,

I'm somewhat new to pvp. My partner and I have been trying lowsec roams to try and get into it. However, we've encountered some gatecamps in our travels and it seems that they're very hard or impossible to defend against or avoid while flying a standard combat ship.

I'm just curious to know how the community at large feels about gate camps, such as how fun they are for either party (relevant? no?) or how much interesting and engaging gameplay they add to EVE. In addition, I'm curious as to whether CCP plans to remove or modify gatecamps so that there's more interactive gameplay involved.

Keep in mind I'm not looking for ship fits, tips, or help avoiding/defending against gatecamps.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-05-06 02:31:21 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:

Keep in mind I'm not looking for ship fits, tips, or help avoiding/defending against gatecamps.

Then you will be met with a resounding NO from pretty much everyone on this idea. Gatecamps are here to stay like it or not, the fact that you are here signifies that they have created interesting gameplay for you and rather than figure out how to handle them or ask for help on handling them you question if they should exist.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Annemarie Menis
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2015-05-06 02:34:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Annemarie Menis
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Annemarie Menis wrote:

Then you will be met with a resounding NO from pretty much everyone on this idea. Gatecamps are here to stay like it or not, the fact that you are here signifies that they have created interesting gameplay for you and rather than figure out how to handle them or ask for help on handling them you question if they should exist.

The reason I'm not here for help is twofold.

1). EVE forums are not helpful.

2). I've already read extensive literature on avoiding and defending from gatecamps.

I know that gatecamps are occasionally preventable, depending on ship, fittings, and one's own actions, but my question pertains to the portion of them that are unpreventable.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#4 - 2015-05-06 02:50:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Shocked

The only thing they could change here without completely breaking the (eco-)system, is to increase the random distance that you appear in relation to the stargate.

I've given you weapon. Now you fight forum PvP battle. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Annemarie Menis
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-05-06 02:54:21 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Shocked

The only thing they could change here without completely breaking the (eco-)system, is to increase the random distance that you appear in relation to the stargate.

I was hesitant to suggest a change in my OP, for fear of appearing agenda-driven. But my suggestion was either an increase in distance, or a decrease of distance down to 2500m, within range to jump back.
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#6 - 2015-05-06 03:51:17 UTC
Gatecamps are fine as it is. I've lived in lowsec for 2+ years now exclusively as a full pirate (engageable by anyone on gate) and I roam almost everyday in mostly frigates + cruisers with no scout and have never found gatecamps to be a huge concern. Yes I die to them occasionally but TBH it's really not that common because gatecamps are a huge invitation for anyone to form up and break them up so alot of entities won't do it and the ones that do will usually run at the sight of anything remotely resembling a fight.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#7 - 2015-05-06 04:04:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Annemarie Menis wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Shocked

or a decrease of distance down to 2500m, within range to jump back.

Oh, hell no. Not with no delay to stargate activation on jumping into a new system. Used to be, when you entered a system, you couldn't burn it back to the gate straight from decloaking and jump back thru. The same type of timer still remains for re-docking straight away, but it's negligible.

Farther distance could work™, though. It would be harder for fleets to establish RR chains, and I'd love to see logi squirm. So yes. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#8 - 2015-05-06 05:08:48 UTC
I'm also a low-sec dweller. Been living there for 4+ years.

If you are complaining about how there is no way to directly fight against an organized gatecamp without putting in the same amount of time, effort, and/or manpower that the gatecampers do... well... what do you expect?
The game is not going to hold your hand against other players who have learned to take advantage of intentional chokepoints.

If you are complaining about how you can't fly the ship you want, the way you want, to, whenever you want to... tough. You adapt to the situation in the game. Not ask the game to change the situation for you.

Moreover, there are many ways and tools to get past gatecamps.
You say none of them worked... well... they work for me. They work for my corporation. They have worked for some of the people I have helped and trained.
Methinks you just need more practice. And to not take the shortest route to your destination.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-05-06 09:11:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
-1 everyone knows tama is permacamped, avoid systems by looking at the map, using a scout, a travel ceptor, not hard really and doesnt warrant removal because you died

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tian Toralen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-05-06 10:37:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tian Toralen
Annemarie Menis wrote:

2). I've already read extensive literature on avoiding and defending from gatecamps.

I know that gatecamps are occasionally preventable, depending on ship, fittings, and one's own actions, but my question pertains to the portion of them that are unpreventable.

Use a scout. I myself don't play with 2 accounts on principle (I know 90% of EVE has at least 2), so I cannot move any valuable ship without help. That's why we are encouraged to form corporations. For less valuable ships I can take a risk and use the map and intel channel to move them myself.

If you are in a fleet - get someone to scout ahead, in an interceptor. Ares with less than 2 sec align time and 2 warp core stabs is almost invulnerable. Except smart bombs nothing can catch it.

I was also annoyed by gate camps, and the impossibility of doing anything alone (anyone with 2 accounts is invulnerable to gate camps). But that's the game. I don't know why CCP does not allow us to play with one account, with 2 paid characters, and 2 open screens. Many people including myself would use that feature.
Solecist Project
#11 - 2015-05-06 10:38:40 UTC
If people spawned close enough to jump back immediately ...
... gatecamps would cease to exist.

Completely removing a playstyle that hasn't been an issue for years ...
... doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#12 - 2015-05-06 12:50:59 UTC
the fact that you are here signifies that they have created interesting gameplay

Is it really interesting game play to jump into a gate camp and die? Maybe "you" think it is but that does not mean that it is true for all people. And the fact of posting here about s situation in game surely does not mean that the OP finds it interesting when there are at least a dozen or more other reasons they may choose to ppost about it.

I am fine with the gate camp situation as it currently is in the game but that does not mean that it is "interesting" game play for everyone that is involved in them by choice or by chance. My son is part of a low sec corp / alliance and even they hate gate camps often spending hours sitting at a gate waiting for something that usually never happens. Sounds absolutely thrilling to me, and people complain about the boredom of running missions. To each their own I guess.
Athryn Bellee
No Assets
#13 - 2015-05-06 13:23:09 UTC
Post with your main, like they told you in C&P. If you do that, I'm sure people will be more than willing to help you.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#14 - 2015-05-06 14:59:39 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Quote:
Is it really interesting game play to jump into a gate camp and die? Maybe "you" think it is but that does not mean that it is true for all people.

Here's an interesting thought for you to chew on;

In a conflict-centric game like EVE... can you make ANY mechanic or gameplay that won't, at best, annoy or, at worst, cause people to gnash their teeth over?

Examples; you are mining in an asteroid belt. Alone. Then a small gang of barges warp in on top of you with an Orca and freighter for support. They consume the entire belt that you have been working on for the last hour before you finish your fourth cycle and then move on.
You go to another belt to find that they have already hit it. There is nothing left.
You move a few systems over and you see the same thing happening.
This is not interesting gameplay for the solo player. In fact, it is VERY frustrating for the solo player. That solo player just can't compete in the area of expertiese that he/she likes.

Now , the game CAN be modified so that there is always ore for everyone to mine... but this reduces scarcity and results in an increase in ore supply on the market... resulting in lower prices and thus lower profit for the solo miner (but not forthe groups who make their margins on bulk orders).
You can artifically restrict fleets from doing this... but now you are penalizing social gameplay and teamwork.

The point I am trying to make here is that in a competitive environment... one person's "bad gameplay" is another person's "content."
There is no two ways about it.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2015-05-06 15:11:57 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:

Use map statistics - players in space, ships/pods destroyed in the last hour. Check killboards for the aggressing fleet make up (does it look like two fleets rumbling over a POS, or is it all dictors/inty/webs/high alpha ships?).

95% of surviving a camp is not hitting it in the first place.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#16 - 2015-05-06 16:06:12 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:
Hi,

I'm somewhat new to pvp. My partner and I have been trying lowsec roams to try and get into it. However, we've encountered some gatecamps in our travels and it seems that they're very hard or impossible to defend against or avoid while flying a standard combat ship.

I'm just curious to know how the community at large feels about gate camps, such as how fun they are for either party (relevant? no?) or how much interesting and engaging gameplay they add to EVE. In addition, I'm curious as to whether CCP plans to remove or modify gatecamps so that there's more interactive gameplay involved.

How would removing or modifying them, create more interactive game play?

Gate camps have been around almost from day one, but with slight variations. At one time you would all spawn at a set location in space in the system, which tended to be camped also.

The ting is camps are so easily avoidable and tend to be risky to partake in, that balance and interaction is already a big part of their existence. Leaving me wondering, what your point actually is?

Oh and reported for cross posting.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#17 - 2015-05-06 16:09:47 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
the fact that you are here signifies that they have created interesting gameplay

Is it really interesting game play to jump into a gate camp and die?
I've not seen any evidence that says otherwise, other than other view points. Which mean diddly squat, to be quite honest.

My first loss in Eve was to a gate camp in low sec. I remember it to this day and it still makes me smile. Blink

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#18 - 2015-05-06 16:19:22 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Shocked

I was hesitant to suggest a change in my OP, for fear of appearing agenda-driven. But my suggestion was either an increase in distance, or a decrease of distance down to 2500m, within range to jump back.

You came to the agenda-driven subsection of the forums, m8.
Features and Ideas is mostly about wanting to change things, or yell at people wanting to change the wrong thing and with that they will DETROY EBE OMGWTFLGBTBBQ OH NOES.

If you want a discussion and opinions of the populace at large, you might try GD or Assembly if you wanted, specifically a CSM response.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Lyra Gerie
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-05-06 16:21:06 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Shocked

What you need isn't something new it's just advice. If you hit a gatecamp there are a few ways to survive.

1. Crash the gate, turn back, overheat your prop mod and hope you hit the gate before they pop your ship.
2. MWD cloak. Align hitting your MWD then immediately turn on cloak. It will cloak you while finishing the last cycle of MWD allowing you a much better chance of survival.
3. You got caught. Check your overview, sometimes camps are poorly done and they only have one tackle. If you break that tackle your free. Try to break away so that it's just you and their tackle.
4. ECM drones and pray.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#20 - 2015-05-06 17:42:44 UTC
As this is neither a proposal for a new feature or a new idea, this thread gets a lock.

Besides that, you already have an open thread on the same topic.

The Rules:
17. Redundant and re-posted threads will be locked.

As a courtesy to other forum users, please search to see if there is a thread already open on the topic you wish to discuss.
If so, please place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forums needlessly, causing good feedback and ideas to be lost.
Please keep discussion regarding a topic to a single thread.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)