These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to fly a Marauder safely

Author
Dante Burke
Practical Applications
#21 - 2015-05-02 11:35:15 UTC
Anything one flies, by EVE's nature, is gank bait. If you're in high-sec, then there's a few things I'd keep in mind if you're banging out L4's.

Keep that safety set to Green. This will keep you from accidentally shooting some poor sod, and thus making CONCORD cranky.

If there's a ninja looter, or someone blaps your MTU, don't attack. Let them have that global flag. 9 (or more) times out of 10, people running missions who get ganked, seem to do so because they engaged someone who had some form of global/criminal status. There's a reason they're in a crappy frig and stealing your loot. Trade that 1M ISK ship for the however many hundreds of millions of yours (due to kill rights).

As long as you're in high-sec, and you don't engage anyone/get yourself flagged, then the only real way to get ganked (barring any kind of war dec/FW), is via suicide Tornado's (or whatever the flavor happens to be). Keeping to less populated areas will greatly mitigate this.

I solo warped into Asakai, and all I got was this stupid t-shirt. - Dante Burke

Elinarien
Doomheim
#22 - 2015-05-02 13:53:05 UTC
If someone pops into your mission and starts ninja looting or tries to get you to "test their tank" then align to a safe warp point, pull the room and gtfo fast. Always fun to see how quickly they too react.
I'm RickJames
Sexual Harassment Pandas
#23 - 2015-05-04 19:49:03 UTC  |  Edited by: I'm RickJames
What about fitting any kind of auto targeter? I am under the impression that even if you are passive targeted and scanned, the auto targeter will lock back, so if you see some frig targeted, it means you are being watched. I can't imagine a group of battlecruisers randomly picking a ship to gank, unlesss its for lulz.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#24 - 2015-05-04 23:44:06 UTC
I'm RickJames wrote:
What about fitting any kind of auto targeter? I am under the impression that even if you are passive targeted and scanned, the auto targeter will lock back, so if you see some frig targeted, it means you are being watched. I can't imagine a group of battlecruisers randomly picking a ship to gank, unlesss its for lulz.

I just tried it out, doesn't seem to do anything, although I didn't try to scan

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Devasha Detrasha
Doomheim
#25 - 2015-05-05 13:38:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Devasha Detrasha
I'm also about to start flying a Paladin soon :) But anyways you shouldn't have any trouble from gankers if you mission in high sec. If you're thinking about doing missions in low sec......DON'T DO IT IN A PALY. Instead use a Navy Apol fitted with T2 mods, bring a scanner/salvaging, falcon, logi alt etc etc............
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#26 - 2015-05-05 13:46:05 UTC
pvp fit it for bait and murder fleets

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#27 - 2015-05-05 13:49:41 UTC
Devasha Detrasha wrote:
I'm also about to start flying a Paladin soon :) But anyways you shouldn't have any trouble from gankers if you mission in high sec. If you're thinking about doing missions in low sec......DON'T DO IT IN A PALY. Instead use a Navy Apol fitted with T2 mods, bring a scanner/salvaging, falcon, logi alt etc etc............

^^^ Bad advice. I'm pretty sure the missioners running SoE mission in Apanake, Osmon, and Langissi will tell you different.

Rule of Thumb: If you have a expensive fit and the odds favor a good loot drop, they will try and gank you.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#28 - 2015-05-05 13:53:43 UTC
Devasha Detrasha wrote:

as someone who flys a paladin all the time and has also ganked paladins in high sec lulz Lol

and now I'm tempted to pvp fit a paladin and go to lowsec...

Devasha Detrasha
Doomheim
#29 - 2015-05-05 22:13:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Devasha Detrasha
Estella Osoka wrote:
Devasha Detrasha wrote:

^^^ Bad advice. I'm pretty sure the missioners running SoE mission in Apanake, Osmon, and Langissi will tell you different.

Rule of Thumb: If you have a expensive fit and the odds favor a good loot drop, they will try and gank you.

I forgot to mention to travel fit the Paly with triple 1600 steel plates, dc II, and 3 eanm II's. Sure it may take you a hour or two to get to your destination, but at least you'll be safe. While missioning just use one large faction repper and T2 everything else.
Devasha Detrasha
Doomheim
#30 - 2015-05-05 22:22:01 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
Devasha Detrasha wrote:

as someone who flys a paladin all the time and has also ganked paladins in high sec lulz Lol

and now I'm tempted to pvp fit a paladin and go to lowsec...

Ganking a Paly can't be done easily in high sec (unless the pilot was afk). Could you please tell me how you manage this? I'm curious
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#31 - 2015-05-06 02:33:13 UTC
Devasha Detrasha wrote:
I forgot to mention to travel fit the Paly with triple 1600 steel plates, dc II, and 3 eanm II's. Sure it may take you a hour or two to get to your destination, but at least you'll be safe. While missioning just use one large faction repper and T2 everything else.

with a 100mn ab align time will be ~8s

Devasha Detrasha wrote:
Ganking a Paly can't be done easily in high sec (unless the pilot was afk). Could you please tell me how you manage this? I'm curious

same way you gank anything, with overwhelming dps and/or alpha. a typical mission fit doesn't really have all that much EHP. If you catch them in mission their shields are down, if you catch them at a gate or station undock their hardeners/damage controls might be off, and they won't be in bastion. If they are coming back from a mission their shields might be down too. I always activate my DCII/hardeners when I session change because of this.

The paladin gank I took part in I did roughly 1/3 of the damage, if we only had 3 people we would have had a successful gank. we had 10 Pirate

I just looked on zkillboard for lulz, found a paladin taken out by 20 destroyers in highsec. Very next one has 30 parties involved, and is a pure t2 fit. This costs each pilot under 10mil (10m reference is a ~700 dps t2 fit catalyst in EFT). but using 20-30 people for the gank the cost can easily be half of that. Gankers in the SoE systems seem to like to gank a few marauders for lulz each day.

just go over to zkillboard and search for paladin and then click on the losses tab.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#32 - 2015-05-06 05:09:23 UTC
The only three things you need to know

1. Don't bling out the ship.
2. Never shoot anyone the starts looting your mission., even if the take the objective item.
3. Most importantly of all, use bastion as little as you can because if you DC you will come back to space junk and not a maurauder. Unlike most other ships that get flung to safety when you pve-DC a bastion mod will keep you pinned in place. GMs will give back your hull and any mods not destoryed but you can still be out hundreds of millions in mods that did get destroyed, even if you don't fly full shiny the losses can be substantial.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#33 - 2015-05-07 04:54:15 UTC
The only thing you need is the faction damage mods.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#34 - 2015-05-09 06:02:08 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
GMs will give back your hull and any mods not destoryed but you can still be out hundreds of millions in mods that did get destroyed, even if you don't fly full shiny the losses can be substantial.

with reimbursement claims they give you the mods that were destroyed, as the ones that dropped could be scooped by either you or another player and by reimbursing the dropped mods they could duplicate them. Sucks if you DC and can't get back in for a few hours to loot the items.

baltec1 wrote:
The only thing you need is the faction damage mods.

not even a need, just a nice bonus. but given the marauder bonuses and bastion mode, the damage mods are the things that make the most sense to throw some isk at.

Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2015-05-09 06:45:41 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
The only three things you need to know

1. Don't bling out the ship.
2. Never shoot anyone the starts looting your mission., even if the take the objective item.
3. Most importantly of all, use bastion as little as you can because if you DC you will come back to space junk and not a maurauder. Unlike most other ships that get flung to safety when you pve-DC a bastion mod will keep you pinned in place. GMs will give back your hull and any mods not destoryed but you can still be out hundreds of millions in mods that did get destroyed, even if you don't fly full shiny the losses can be substantial.

You missed one of the most important things. Don't sit at 0 on the warp-in/beacon.
Omar Alharazaad
Nefarious Porpoise
#36 - 2015-05-09 13:31:34 UTC
Dante Burke wrote:
Anything one flies, by EVE's nature, is gank bait. If you're in high-sec, then there's a few things I'd keep in mind if you're banging out L4's.

Keep that safety set to Green. This will keep you from accidentally shooting some poor sod, and thus making CONCORD cranky.

If there's a ninja looter, or someone blaps your MTU, don't attack. Let them have that global flag. 9 (or more) times out of 10, people running missions who get ganked, seem to do so because they engaged someone who had some form of global/criminal status. There's a reason they're in a crappy frig and stealing your loot. Trade that 1M ISK ship for the however many hundreds of millions of yours (due to kill rights).

As long as you're in high-sec, and you don't engage anyone/get yourself flagged, then the only real way to get ganked (barring any kind of war dec/FW), is via suicide Tornado's (or whatever the flavor happens to be). Keeping to less populated areas will greatly mitigate this.

misconception correction time.
A suspect who's humping your mtu is usually flying something worth between 11 and 50 million isk, depending and the whatnot.
If you engage them they cannot call in their superfriends to roflstomp you, but they can bring in neutral logi to help.
The moment neutral logi does help them, the logi goes suspect as well and becomes a valid target for destruction.
Suspect baiting does not generate killrights.
It's not a gank if you open fire on them and they kill you in response... it's holy pee vee pee. Depending on the ship they are flying and what you have fit they may be unable to break your tank, that's a risk that's up to you to decide whether or not to take.
If you have a working batphone then you can call buddies in to blap a flipper who's messing with you as well.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2015-05-09 17:01:30 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
Devasha Detrasha wrote:

with a 100mn ab align time will be ~8s

Devasha Detrasha wrote:

same way you gank anything, with overwhelming dps and/or alpha. a typical mission fit doesn't really have all that much EHP. If you catch them in mission their shields are down, if you catch them at a gate or station undock their hardeners/damage controls might be off, and they won't be in bastion. If they are coming back from a mission their shields might be down too. I always activate my DCII/hardeners when I session change because of this.

The paladin gank I took part in I did roughly 1/3 of the damage, if we only had 3 people we would have had a successful gank. we had 10 Pirate

I just looked on zkillboard for lulz, found a paladin taken out by 20 destroyers in highsec. Very next one has 30 parties involved, and is a pure t2 fit. This costs each pilot under 10mil (10m reference is a ~700 dps t2 fit catalyst in EFT). but using 20-30 people for the gank the cost can easily be half of that. Gankers in the SoE systems seem to like to gank a few marauders for lulz each day.

just go over to zkillboard and search for paladin and then click on the losses tab.

In apanake the meta is thrashers. Much cheaper and selectible damage. Lower raw dps is made up for with larger gangs.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#38 - 2015-05-09 17:14:31 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Dante Burke wrote:

A suspect who's humping your mtu is usually flying something worth between 11 and 50 million isk, depending and the whatnot.
If you engage them they cannot call in their superfriends to roflstomp you, but they can bring in neutral logi to help.
The moment neutral logi does help them, the logi goes suspect as well and becomes a valid target for destruction.
It's not a gank if you open fire on them and they kill you in response... it's holy pee vee pee. Depending on the ship they are flying and what you have fit they may be unable to break your tank, that's a risk that's up to you to decide whether or not to take.
If you have a working batphone then you can call buddies in to blap a flipper who's messing with you as well.
if they cant break your tank the general response is to just get help from a random person in minerbumping. Who will bring a mobile depot and neuts while the first guy has you pinned.
Triakis Cadelanne
Discount Damsels Deluxe
#39 - 2015-05-11 11:02:52 UTC
Annemarie Menis wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to get into a Paladin on my main for missions soon. With some imperial navy mods, heatsinks, faction equipment, and possibly a deadspace armor repairer, its going to be pretty blingy. At least, that's the plan.

This will be the juiciest gank target I've flown so far, so I'm not sure how to handle it. Is there a sure-fire way to keep away from gankers? I usually fly at a low-pop mission hub (no Dodixie for me) and minimize my time in transit.

I suppose I'm just looking for some good tips on avoiding and preventing ganks on my very expensive ship.

A Deadspace armor repairer, auxiliary nanopumps and 2 TII EANM are sufficient to easily tank any L4 mission. My Kronos cost me 1,4 B and is performing pretty well.

Ofc if you go faction Gyrostabilizers and faction TC, with Navy EANM you'll be ganked sooner or later.
Tarojan
Tarojan Corporation
#40 - 2015-05-12 07:10:27 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Dante Burke wrote:

if they cant break your tank the general response is to just get help from a random person in minerbumping. Who will bring a mobile depot and neuts while the first guy has you pinned.

Wonder if the best response is to be carrying a rack full of warp stabs and a jumpdrive in the cargo to refit too. No idea if it would save you.

Will gank for food