These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any skin on any ship - bug on SiSi - yes we could have skins on ships

First post First post First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#61 - 2015-05-01 20:55:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Lucas Kell wrote:
I disagree. They simply didn't have the same ideas as some of the overly entitled players.

No. They simply had no direction. You see this in the excuses being made after the Incarna fiasco becomes apparent; in the repeated failures to turn ambulation/WiS into something that offers anything to EVE; in the numerous reports of the unguided and directionless development of that entire branch of CARBON, from both the perspective of CSM and of the actual devs involved. If you want to disagree with what the devs say about what happened, then that's fine, but you're going to need to find a more realistic and sensible scapegoat for your fantastical narrative than “entitled players”.

At no point after 2008 could they offer any idea or vision of what WiS was supposed to do, and the ideas they had before that were all scuttled in one of the many many restarts of the project. There was one attempt at thinking something up — the out-of-pod exploration stuff — but that happened after Incarna, once it had become clear that a directionless WiS was also pointless (and it was also an attempt that, like all WiS before it, was abandoned… once again demonstrating the lack of direction).

Quote:
I too was playing at the time and had no problems with what they were doing. I didn't feel the sudden desire to start shooting monuments and stamping my feet.

And your lack of investment in the game and apathy over the lack of direction in everything CCP has done with WiS does not make other players entitled, nor does it suddenly imbue WiS with anything resembling a direction. You're somehow confusing your not caring with there being something to care about.

At the end of the day, CCP spent a year and a half doing nothing with EVE. This ended up losing them customers — lots of 'em. Not because those customers were “overly entitled” but because CCP effed up and failed to deliver a compelling product. There is nothing entitled about customers wanting a compelling product — it's simply the thing you offer to get the customer's money.
Memphis Baas
#62 - 2015-05-01 21:04:21 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
That's pure guesstimation at the sub numbers. That said, I never said people don't leave EVE, more that the people complaining and screaming "I'LL QUIT I WILL!" tend to not actually quit. If they are passionate enough about the game that making the CQ and $1000 pants is enough for them to lose their freakin minds, then they are probably addicted to the game and unlikely to leave any time soon.

In addition, your 18% is the potential decrease in subs following CCP buckling to the public pressure of players shooting the monument. Who's to say that if they actually stood up for what they believed was the right direction for EVE that it wouldn't be in a better position now. They certainly spend too much time trying to appease the loudest whiners these days, that's for sure.

At least I'm quoting numbers and at least somewhat educated guesses. You're just sticking to and repeating your "I still believe" theory and not offering any support or proof of it. We'll have to agree to disagree; I'm convinced that you're incorrect and I have some supporting numbers, you're convinced that you're right and you have some unwavering faith. Let's move on.

Regarding the whole SKINs marketing, CCP, first you put out a universal product that everyone wants (universal skin system), and THEN you cash out big on the pretty colors: (elegant) pink + black, red + black, blue + black, yellow + black, white + black, silver + black, black + black, dark green + lime green, purple + yellow, sky-blue and silver, white + red, white + blue, etc.

You have 40,000 Goons just dying to get the yellow + black color combo for their fleets, you have white + red SOE exploration ships that prove the concept of white-and-red, you have the Quafe sky blue and silver skins that they even had that titan show up in the news wearing blue... the COLORS are where you can go "rare and valuable". You don't nit-pick the underlying "how to skin your ships" system.

I want some of these color combinations, but I want them for ALL my ships. I have the skills to fly a lot of ships; I want them to all be blue with a single skin, dammit. Or white+red. I want to pay my money, set the damn color like I set the user interface color, ONCE, and then go play the stupid game, mine, PVP, whatever. This game isn't about managing a shopping cart full of skins, FFS. Every time I log in, I have to load up the cart and figure out what ship goes with what skin, WTF is this?!?!

Also, **** "Guristas" "Sanshas" "Interbus" "Mordus" etc. colors. We never got into the lore THAT much, CCP, we don't care. Cut it out with the greys and the browns, this isn't Dungeons and Dragons Online. Give us red (255,0,0) and call it "red."
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#63 - 2015-05-01 21:10:41 UTC
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2015-05-01 21:12:52 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Also, **** "Guristas" "Sanshas" "Interbus" "Mordus" etc. colors. We never got into the lore THAT much, CCP, we don't care. Cut it out with the greys and the browns, this isn't Dungeons and Dragons Online. Give us red (255,0,0) and call it "red."

The SKIN's system will not be a true success until I can fly a PINK Panther.
Draco Askiras
Doomheim
#65 - 2015-05-01 21:14:05 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:

Regarding the whole SKINs marketing, CCP, first you put out a universal product that everyone wants (universal skin system), and THEN you cash out big on the pretty colors: (elegant) pink + black, red + black, blue + black, yellow + black, white + black, silver + black, black + black, dark green + lime green, purple + yellow, sky-blue and silver, white + red, white + blue, etc.

You have 40,000 Goons just dying to get the yellow + black color combo for their fleets, you have white + red SOE exploration ships that prove the concept of white-and-red, you have the Quafe sky blue and silver skins that they even had that titan show up in the news wearing blue... the COLORS are where you can go "rare and valuable". You don't nit-pick the underlying "how to skin your ships" system.

I want some of these color combinations, but I want them for ALL my ships. I have the skills to fly a lot of ships; I want them to all be blue with a single skin, dammit. Or white+red. I want to pay my money, set the damn color like I set the user interface color, ONCE, and then go play the stupid game, mine, PVP, whatever. This game isn't about managing a shopping cart full of skins, FFS. Every time I log in, I have to load up the cart and figure out what ship goes with what skin, WTF is this?!?!

+1
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#66 - 2015-05-01 21:16:58 UTC
A) Don't be too scared to call a feature a feature Blink

B) Falcon went into a little better detail in this comment on Reddit. There are other replies there worth reading

C) I love Eve lore. Lore is a remarkably stupid excuse to restrict anything about this system (same with the alliance logos)

D) I understand the need for caution because SKINs are uncharted territory for the server. But, the excitement over this bug shows that more skin options are wanted by a large number of players. Don't drag ass too much Big smile

E) Also, people seem a bit more jazzed about the idea of using a single skin over multiple ships. Your wallets would probably benefit from that being made a thing.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2015-05-01 21:17:17 UTC
I can appreciate CCP's game vision and that Quafe skins for example don't fit on an Amarr ship from a lore perspective. On the other hand, some of these 'mis-matched' skins look amazing on certain ships and it would really be a shame to not have them just because of lore. Because let's face it, no-body cares about lore, certainly not when it comes to SKINs.

A golden Stratios just looks badass, as does a black one. Please don't keep these awesome combinations from us just for lore!

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#68 - 2015-05-01 21:32:09 UTC
Tippia wrote:
No. They simply had no direction.
That's your opinion, and I disagree. It's really that simple. You can keep rationalising your opinion is you want, but it's not something I will suddenly agree with.

Memphis Baas wrote:
At least I'm quoting numbers and at least somewhat educated guesses. You're just sticking to and repeating your "I still believe" theory and not offering any support or proof of it. We'll have to agree to disagree; I'm convinced that you're incorrect and I have some supporting numbers, you're convinced that you're right and you have some unwavering faith. Let's move on.
Actually what I have is experience. I've been here a while and seen countless players doing the "I'm gonna quit, I SWEAR" and yet still being there years later. What you've got may e numbers, but it's primarily just guesswork, there's simply not enough data to be sure of even being in the right area. That said, I don;t disagree that the population has gone down. The way I see it is CCP caved to the loudest players and the population still went down, that hardly tells me that was the right choice to make.

Memphis Baas wrote:
I believe the idea is to make money, which isn't likely to happen if you only need to buy a couple of skins an all your ships are sorted for eternity.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#69 - 2015-05-01 21:35:17 UTC
Lucas and Tippia up in a tree
Getting a thread lock in 1...2...3

Missed you Tipps.

Mr Epeen Cool
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#70 - 2015-05-01 21:51:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
http://i.imgur.com/Tc0CD31.jpg pirate blingmobile Cool

BEHOLD! http://i.imgur.com/bU6nehJ.jpg Police Golem to protect and destroy, mostly destroy. Lol
His worthy adversary, Gurista Golem! http://i.imgur.com/vHGTL4K.jpg Twisted
Entity
X-Factor Industries
Synthetic Existence
#71 - 2015-05-01 22:04:41 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/vNRVIlP.png

Quafe stratios best stratios.

╦......║...╔╗.║.║.╔╗.╦║.╔╗╔╦╗╔╗

║.╔╗╔╗╔╣.╔╗╠..╠ ╠╗╠╝.║╠ ╠╝║║║╚╗

╩═╚╝║.╚╝.╚╝║..╚╝║║╚╝.╩╚╝╚╝║.║╚╝

Got Item?

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#72 - 2015-05-01 23:09:03 UTC
Mane Frehm wrote:
CCPs goal as a company is to maximize value for their owners/shareholders.

Citation needed
Kerena Alabel
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2015-05-01 23:13:43 UTC
Ravcharas wrote:
Mane Frehm wrote:
CCPs goal as a company is to maximize value for their owners/shareholders.

Citation needed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2015-05-01 23:16:52 UTC
Entity wrote:

See? How f*cking badass is that?!

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Kerena Alabel
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2015-05-01 23:23:31 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Entity wrote:

See? How f*cking badass is that?!

That is pretty sweet
Memphis Baas
#76 - 2015-05-01 23:31:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Lucas Kell wrote:
Actually what I have is experience. I've been here a while and seen countless players doing the "I'm gonna quit, I SWEAR" and yet still being there years later.
Again, agree to disagree. I too have a 2003 character WITH the Employment History bug where the list is blank, and have participated in the end-of-beta Armageddon FFA event. I have quit this game, for years, stopped subscription, and typically reactivate if the set of features they're announcing sounds good. What they announced last year in November sounded good; revamped stations, mooring, the hype they had for FozzieSov before Fozzie actually gave his details, the idea of a ship painting and logo system.

Lucas Kell wrote:
I believe the idea is to make money, which isn't likely to happen if you only need to buy a couple of skins an all your ships are sorted for eternity.
Yes the idea is to make money, but you have to have a desirable appealing product first. Microsoft made money with the first couple Windows versions, but don't tell me that the idiocy they pulled with Vista and Win8.0 attracted customers. Their crappy Win8 doesn't appeal to corporate users who just want a workstation so they can focus on their MS Office, AutoCAD, Maya, or what have you, and everyone is still buying Windows 7 because 8 sucks and 10 possibly will suck.

We can agree to disagree on this topic too, shrug. You say the aim is to make money, and I say they are NOT making (SKIN / Aurum) money from me with the current system. I may well be in the minority, and that's fine, I play EVE to pewpew and that'll work just fine with the default ships. It works just fine with the default avatar clothes, too (their outfit preview system doesn't let me assemble a whole outfit to preview if colors match, and they have mismatched crap like a top (dress) that goes to the knees, but forces me to wear pants because the (quite tasteful) pantyhose doesn't count as "bottoms" for the character customization UI).

I will buy universal skins, at PLEX prices, if the colors are nice, per character. I may like blue this month, white-red next month, fuchsia the month after that, it depends on how the colors look, pretty sure I will have more than one color. All they have to do is introduce new colors periodically. I had 41 cartel outfits in SWTOR, about 12 speeders, only 5 pet droids and ships; they kept introducing good-looking combos, and I kept making new alts.
Jennifer Maxwell
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#77 - 2015-05-01 23:42:50 UTC

If you could pass along a message to whoever thought this "bug" up, please do.
Ahem:

"You are brilliant, and your plan is amazing. Not only have people been more hyped for skins, the markets, both isk and the NES store, are I'm sure cashing in crazily for this. Keep up the good work :) "

Also, I kinda broke the Algos http://imgur.com/trSlHAx
sorry I'll pay for it just send me the bill.
Memphis Baas
#78 - 2015-05-01 23:55:21 UTC
Even more brilliant idea:

CCP releases a bunch of images of new colors they're going to release. We pre-pay PLEX for the guarantee that WHEN CCP releases the colors, we'll get a skin of that color. Obviously it's hard work to come up with new colors, and even harder work to ensure they pass QA and "fit within the gritty theme of the EVE universe" - it'll take months or even years to make sure the browns and greys are just the perfect shade before they can be released.

But in any case, they can release their plans now and we'll prepay become "backers" and at the same time help fund the development process. "Team Space Matters" Industries, EVE Citizen backer program.
Dradis Aulmais
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2015-05-02 00:51:56 UTC
CCP,
Your Lore argument doesnt hold water with me. For the following reasons (TM).

We can assume that SCOPE Videos are Cannon.

There fore using this Video we establish that there is the capability to make a ship look like another. We also established that his technology can be reversed engineered. In fact that's what was happening when a raid occurred and the UNFINISHED TECH was stolen. Tech that was not completed and not tested. Isnt it possible that this unfinished unsecured tech could be minipluated by some smart capselers to change a paint color on their ship? Especially since we now can project our MINDS INTO COMPUTER SYSTEMS?

Or is it more likely that this tech was able to withstand the combined might of the Space Pirate Millionaire Rambos?

Dradis Aulmais, Federal Attorney Number 54896

Free The Scope Three

Jennifer Maxwell
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#80 - 2015-05-02 01:20:04 UTC
Here's an idea:

Make the non-lore skins bought on the NES store, and make the lore skins (like Sukuuvestaa, Kalaakiota, Sebiestor ect), bought through the LP stores of the factions they belong to, but instead of charging isk, you can charge LP and AUR.