These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Character Customization (Clothes, Appearance, 2003 vs. Now...)

Author
Isis Dea
Vixxen Inc.
#1 - 2015-04-28 16:38:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Isis Dea
So there's still a small following that isn't sucking the [insert] for internet spaceships and actually still misses what we were promised within Incarna...

While the outcry from all of New Eden (during that time) was more about CCP's cash shop antics and potential to not cater to eve's loyal demographic (focused around internet spaceships) that was fixing to be left behind;

It's now 2015.

Incarna was 2011.

The fear of that narrative is gone and instead a different demographic is getting left behind.

When 2003's vision of EVE launched, it was a dark vast sci-fi blade-runneresque dystopia.

The kinds of characters we could create, the options we could give our characters; the vast culture that flaunted the difference between each race and reflected that kind of universe...

It's all gone.

It's been replaced (within the new character editor) with meh-fashioned (hardly even sci-fi themed) lacking racially-diverse people doing internet spaceships.

Incarna promised a return, one day, to that vision of EVE, the form of restoring all the diversity in options of the old editor with the technology of the new. After all, that's why the captain's quarters exists.

That has never happened. We've gotten a few dresses and jackets, prosthetic arms, and a monocle.

Minmatar hairstyles, tribal wear, Gallente exotic wear, masks, crests/crowns/gleaming golden Amarrian jewelry/iconry, implants (beyond the Solid Snake eye and Deus Ex arms), dynamic lights/lighting, all the criminal portrait backgrounds... Are we ever getting any of that back?

Not to mention the potential of things, within the universe of EVE, that could have come with the new character/portrait editor of EVE that's never made the cut:

Evidence of drug-use, monstrous implants (metal jaws/sharkteeth/menacing cybernetic eyes, etc.), pod gel wet effects (for those of us RPing recent deaths), ship interior backgrounds, capsule interior background, weapons, crew/baseliner backgrounds, holographic clothing/interfacing, and pretty much anything that would imply a character's previous profession before becoming a capsuleer... hell, even DUST gear for DUST characters. (DUST gear being an option for EVE Online players with linked accounts unless such characters breach the lore?)

Do we get to look forward to any of this potentially in the future?

More Character Customization :: Especially compared to what we had in 2003...

Isis Dea
Vixxen Inc.
#2 - 2015-04-29 13:04:43 UTC
(Edited for better wording and clarification)

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2015-04-29 13:08:45 UTC
Of course. For 10k AUR for a basic hair cut, 15k AUR for a fancy brooch and an extra cheap 50k AUR for a set of tribal wear.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Dots
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-04-30 02:48:23 UTC

Hi,

Please take a look at some ideas and work we did from a previous discussion with CCP.

Also, you can take this brief poll if you'd like. This data was used to facilitate discussion topics with CCP.

And finally here is the thread by CSM corbexx about the discussion he organized: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=391006

everything is better with ᵈᵒᵗˢ on it

New Player Opportunities: a gallery

Isis Dea
Vixxen Inc.
#5 - 2015-04-30 13:04:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Isis Dea
Dots wrote:

Hi,

Please take a look at some ideas and work we did from a previous discussion with CCP.

Also, you can take this brief poll if you'd like. This data was used to facilitate discussion topics with CCP.

And finally here is the thread by CSM corbexx about the discussion he organized: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=391006

Over half of the items mentioned in those docs are pretty trollish. Top hats and parrots... really? Whenever have the races ever had that integration? Even the flamboyant Gallente are more TRON than Victorian in their old clothing lineup.

There are many items from the old editor (stuff we once had) that's missing from that list.

Dots
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-04-30 15:31:10 UTC
I think you are misunderstanding.

I included all ideas from everyone in the document prior to the discussion with CCP (in order to be all inclusive). After CCP spoke to players, they put some additional constraints on the brainstorming, which can be found in my notes here:

Quote:

CCP design choices and technical limitations

In Karkur's words, "classy" and representative of EVE lore which is futuristic and dark. This excludes things such as bunny ears or pirate hats. CCP wants to protect the image of EVE.

The next step would be to pare down the list to meet this criteria. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it is something I've planned. If you'd like to take a crack at it, feel free and I can help you.

everything is better with ᵈᵒᵗˢ on it

New Player Opportunities: a gallery

Isis Dea
Vixxen Inc.
#7 - 2015-04-30 16:26:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Isis Dea
Dots wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding.

I included all ideas from everyone in the document prior to the discussion with CCP (in order to be all inclusive). After CCP spoke to players, they put some additional constraints on the brainstorming, which can be found in my notes here:

Quote:

CCP design choices and technical limitations

In Karkur's words, "classy" and representative of EVE lore which is futuristic and dark. This excludes things such as bunny ears or pirate hats. CCP wants to protect the image of EVE.

The next step would be to pare down the list to meet this criteria. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it is something I've planned. If you'd like to take a crack at it, feel free and I can help you.

My initial post contains quite a list, starting with what got left behind from the 2003 editor as well as what could be done going forward.

EDIT: Updating this post since the initial one is a bit cluttered...

What's missing from the old 2003 character editor:
  • Minmatar hairstyles.
  • Tribal wear.
  • Gallente exotic wear.
  • Rebreather Masks.
  • Crests/Crowns/Gleaming Golden Amarrian Jewelry/Iconry.
  • Implants (beyond the current Solid Snake eye and Deus Ex arms).
  • Dynamic Lights/Lighting.
  • The majority of criminal portrait backgrounds.

What would be delightful options going forward that amplify the lore and potential states of our characters:
  • Evidence of drug-use. (Should this be skin options or scarring.)
  • Monstrous/Menacing Implants. (metal jaws/sharkteeth/menacing cybernetic eyes, etc. - see chronicle link for lore ref)
  • Pod Gel Wet Effects. (for those of us RPing recent deaths).
  • Racial ship interior Portrait Backgrounds.
  • Capsule interior Portrait Background.
  • Personal Weapons. (From your Wiyrkomi Rifles to DUST weaponry.)
  • Crew/Baseliner/Crowd Portrait Backgrounds. (CSM might especially like these.)
  • Holographic Clothing/Interfacing.
  • Mining ORE Hazardsuits.
  • Slave Wear. (Especially Vitoc-Injector Collars.)
  • DUST 514/Valkyrie suits for helmless DUST characters and/or linked Accounts. (Unless that breaks the lore.)

And pretty much anything that implies a capsuleer's previous profession prior to becoming a capsuleer...

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#8 - 2015-06-18 10:30:38 UTC
All what you posted here deserve to be in the game.
Claud Tiberius
Siberian Squads
#9 - 2015-06-18 11:06:26 UTC
CCP have other priorities like, making the game more fun to play. Sorry.

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#10 - 2015-06-18 11:46:41 UTC
Isis Dea wrote:

• Minmatar hairstyles.
  • Tribal wear.
  • Gallente exotic wear.
  • Rebreather Masks.

What would be delightful options going forward that amplify the lore and potential states of our characters:
  • Evidence of drug-use. (Should this be skin options or scarring.)
  • Monstrous/Menacing Implants. (metal jaws/sharkteeth/menacing cybernetic eyes, etc. - see chronicle link for lore ref)
  • Pod Gel Wet Effects. (for those of us RPing recent deaths).
  • Racial ship interior Portrait Backgrounds.
  • Capsule interior Portrait Background.
  • Personal Weapons. (From your Wiyrkomi Rifles to DUST weaponry.)
  • Crew/Baseliner/Crowd Portrait Backgrounds. (CSM might especially like these.)
  • Holographic Clothing/Interfacing.
  • Mining ORE Hazardsuits.
  • Slave Wear. (Especially Vitoc-Injector Collars.)
  • DUST 514/Valkyrie suits for helmless DUST characters and/or linked Accounts. (Unless that breaks the lore.)

And pretty much anything that implies a capsuleer's previous profession prior to becoming a capsuleer...

Regarding some of those throwbacks, just because some of us are outlaws doesn't mean that third hand cyberwear (like that jaw) should be a given. Afterall, we're cloning to get back into a neat and fresh new body, I don't want mine pre-rustled like some tasteless vintage jeans.

The vitoc injecting collar might be outdated very soon if Scope news are on the spot.
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
Jayai Syndicate
#11 - 2015-06-18 14:25:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ashlar Vellum
That is nice and all Isis, but as long as there is no gameplay whatsoever it's all irrelevant.

Isis Dea wrote:

• Minmatar hairstyles.
  • Tribal wear.
  • Gallente exotic wear.
  • Rebreather Masks.

Also you forgot amarr veils, they were in old character creator but were never added to the new one for some reason.
vikari
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-06-18 15:55:00 UTC
All I want is a decent set of shoes! Also consider so shorts, and a couple lose fit casual T's....I'm more of a summer guy.