These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unopened Standard Sleeper Cache Already Blown?

Author
Fudd Muckrucker
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-04-25 04:26:42 UTC
Went looking for Sleeper Caches today and found an unopened Standard Sleeper Cache in Knophtikoo, Domain. Upon entering I found the whole place flooded with corrosive gas and got the following message:

"Warning! Massive amounts of corrosive mateials have been relased in the area. making it extremely hazardous to operate in!" [sic]

Never had this happen in an unopened cache site before (though I see it frequently in sites that have already been hacked open). I wonder if it is new or a bug or maybe just some random occurance? The typical "malfunction" on the middle unit didn't happen either, so there didn't seem to be any managable way to approach the cans. Does anyone know what is going on with this? Hated to leave all those cans unopened!
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-04-25 22:22:49 UTC
If by unopened you mean the entry gate has not been hacked open then it could be a bug, but if the entry gate has been opened then somebody already screwed it up.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Fudd Muckrucker
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2015-04-26 04:22:27 UTC
Yes, that is what I meant. The entry gate had not been hacked.

One other funny thing was that two "double-triangle" icons (marking the rift entry) appeared in the overview while only one was marked in space (or, at least only one was visible in the space in front of me). I entered the site by clicking on the top triangle on the overview, but something like that has happened to me before so I didn't think much of it.

Once inside, another funny thing was that none of the cans had been opened or, apparently, tampered with at all. To be clear, none of the coordinate cans, loot cans, special function cans (tractor beam) or defense cans had been hacked and all were surrounded by the three corrosive green gas clouds. I did think to take a screenshot of the site before leaving, but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Finally, there was one last curious thing about the site. The rift gate that normally appears only after the "malfunction" was visible and apparently usable even though the second defensive gas thing-a-ma-whatzit was still present and oozing its bilious green filth. It looked like it was surrounded by the corrosive gas cloud (and it was getting late and I was tired/running out of time) so I didn't try to enter it, though maybe it was near enough to the edge of the cloud to get through without taking too much damage. Now I wonder if this was just a buggy site or if I should have tried to get through that rift...

Maybe next time if it happens again...
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-04-26 12:48:45 UTC
How soon after downtime did this happen?

Fudd Muckrucker
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2015-04-26 18:56:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Fudd Muckrucker
The time stamp on the screenshot is 04:29 Eve time, but I've had another encounter that makes me pretty sure this is a bug now.

This time it was a standard sleeper cache in Jesoyeh, Domain today at 17:00 Eve time. The starting gate can was hacked and open already (once again showing two "double triangle" entry icons in the overview), but when I went in it sent me to the usual "unopened site" starting position in the vicinity of the coordinate plotting device. The thing was, I found my ship completely surrounded by the corrosive green gas! I immediately turned to nearest edge of the cloud and hit the microwarp drive. It didn't take long to notice that my ship wasn't taking any damage from the cloud though.

On closer inspection, it became clear once again that none of the cans in the site had been hacked yet. Further, the "defense alarm unit" was already present next to its spawning container (but without any "bonus" container) and the rift to the hidden room was present and open. Even the coordinate plotting device rift was apparently open, though where it would have sent me had I gone through is anyone's guess.

This time I was more curious and less apprehensive -- especially after apparently not taking any damage from the clouds -- so I decided to scan the cans and try to get some loot. Everything worked with no problems and I took no damage from any of the gas clouds. The only thing I forgot to try was the defense alarm unit. Don't know if it would have spawned the bonus container or not, but I think it is pretty clear that it would have. I also did not deliberately fail any cans to see what would happen if I attempted to "re-trigger" the corrosive gas defense units.

So... it seems clear that there is something buggy going on with the Standard Sleeper Cache sites. Is there a way to move this thread to the "bug reporting" section or should I make a new post there?
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-04-26 21:08:41 UTC
You can flag your thread next to the post number and and ask for it to be moved there.

When we were testing the sleeper cache sites there was a bug that caused them to not despawn properly and there would be a second cache site over an existing one, but this only happened after DT.

Aearis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-04-30 15:48:47 UTC
Standard sleeper cache is buged in a way as described but its not broken. Mechanics of this site are still in place. Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/p2TmA
Everything was on grid from the start and I hacked it all (ignored one defense grid unit).