These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[April] Battlecruiser Warp Speed and Warp Rig Tweaks

First post First post
Author
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#301 - 2015-04-22 19:15:49 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Though you can draw comparisons between ABCs being true battle cruisers, with cruiser weight armor and such on cruiser hulls upsized just enough to fit battleship caliber weapons on, without violating the rules on the number of capital vessels nations could have, and CBCs as "grand/heavy/armored cruisers" which thickened the decks, belt and hull but left them with between 6" and 9" guns, and sacrificed some speed relative to both cruisers and battleships IRL.

Sure, but just because we can draw the comparison back the other way doesn't mean the comparison works both ways or that Eve ships are currently or should try to in the future emulate the roles of real-life naval vessels.

It also means that much more studied and dedicated groups saw at least some reason to have both sides, and recognized that the two, while superficially similar, are two very different animals and can barely share a name.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Sissy Fuzz
Sissy Fuzz Communications
#302 - 2015-04-22 20:53:24 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

We are also making some tweaks to warp rig penalties. At the moment the two sets of warp rigs have -CPU penalties, which are among the most harsh penalties that rigs in EVE can have.

We are planning to change the penalty on Warp rigs into a Signature Radius increase (like the penalty on shield rigs). This penalty matters quite a bit for large nullsec fleets and small ships (two areas where we want to be cautious about the power level of warp speed rigs) but is much less important for smaller gang activities in large ships, as well as for mission runners. We hope that this change will open up some new interesting fitting options that people will enjoy.

Campers will love this, that's for sure. Have they been whining? Exactly what "power level" is it you are referring to when it comes to small ships? The power to throw 150 dps round real quick? Or the power to just warp the hell out of everyone and go scan the next system for relic signatures? What a nice word, "power level", btw... fluffy, vague... perfect.

I remember RSBs being nerfed because instalocking was a bit out of hand to a point where you could set a gate camp that nothing would be able to pass. Well, the sig penalty proposed here is one step back, right?

Yes, you can fit your interceptor for fast warping, in accordance with its intended use, but this will now only be an advantage as long as you stay in one system. Because you will be instalocked by any RSB-gang in all your bubble-imuneness glory if you try to go elsewhere.

Are we back to a situation where it is possible to set up a non-escapable camp?

CCP Fozzie wrote:

We hope that this change will open up some new interesting fitting options that people will enjoy.

Of course you do.

Cade Windstalker
#303 - 2015-04-22 22:06:43 UTC
Sissy Fuzz wrote:

No, Interceptors are immune to bubbles now and can get their align speed high enough that they align before the server registers that a player has a target lock.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#304 - 2015-04-23 06:37:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Well, this goes live on Tuesday and we've had almost zero feedback on our feedback so I guess we're sticking with the signature radius penalty instead of considering the capacitor need to warp penalty (which was a very good idea by Alexis Nightwish).

Maybe in time it will change again.
Kendarr
The Congregation
OnlyFleets.
#305 - 2015-04-23 07:53:31 UTC
The BC warp change sounds great. Hopefully it will bring them back a little.

I'm not sure about the Sig Radius penalty on the warp rig, I only really use them on my tackle Steilltio which in theory will be hit harder and easier not but I guess that's why we have rig skills to reduce the drawback. In terms of freeing CPU up I like it on paper and it gives me alot more fitting options.

I will be back to provide more feed back after the patch.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#306 - 2015-04-23 11:35:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
I am glad this change is come thing through.

There is a similar complaint with battleships but I would prefer they get a stronger tank, maybe a boost to the hull HP or a little to resists.

It is crazy that Tech 3 cruisers manage as much RAW tank as battleships then have sig + speed over them. They also seem to be a bit better than battlecruisers but no where near bridging the gap between battle cruisers and capitals.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#307 - 2015-04-24 09:50:33 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
Aiyshimin wrote:
Warp speed was the least of BC issues and improving it has absolutely no effect on the sad state of BCs.

Don't think you have flown a BC in ages. Part of the reason that roaming in frigs and cruisers is so much more preferable to BCs is the speed of getting around. While the warp speed change isn't huge, it does help close the gap and make BCs slightly more viable.

However, the penalty change from CPU to sig radius is incredibly disappointing. My ship fits with warp speed rigs (like my raptor) work fine around the cpu penalty, but are now punished worse by the sig radius change.

Yeah, BC's will only be 5 or 6 seconds behind support ships instead of the current 8 or 9 seconds.
That should certainly make them more appealing for roaming. Or not..

With the slower align times of BC's, giving them the same warp speed as a cruiser would make a difference. Simply increasing warp speed marginally is not going to change anything.
Yes align times can be increased - at the cost of DPS or tank.

CPU to SIG, WHY? Penalize shield doctrines, just a little more. Anything Caldari just got yet another kick in the nuts, big time.
Remove all penalties from warp speed rigs - Simply fitting them is penalty enough.
Less tank and or less DPS, is a penalty.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#308 - 2015-04-24 10:14:31 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Yeah, BC's will only be 5 or 6 seconds behind support ships instead of the current 8 or 9 seconds.

You're thinking too narrowly - over a roam of say 20 jumps covering a few hundred AU, that time really starts to adds up. Time the rest of the fleet is kicking its heels waiting on the fatboys.

It's not just about how long it takes to land in combat, it's the basic travel time as well. No-one likes to wait on the fat guy getting up the hill Blink
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#309 - 2015-04-24 10:32:38 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

You're thinking too narrowly - over a roam of say 20 jumps covering a few hundred AU, that time really starts to adds up. Time the rest of the fleet is kicking its heels waiting on the fatboys.

It's not just about how long it takes to land in combat, it's the basic travel time as well. No-one likes to wait on the fat guy getting up the hill Blink

I get that, which is why i suggested giving them the same warp speed as cruisers. The slower align time can be dealt with via fitting trade offs (and a mobile depot).
Overall the existing slower align time with cruiser warp speed would put them in a more favourable place for roaming.
8% increase to warp speed just isn't enough to change their current position.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#310 - 2015-04-24 10:42:01 UTC
Hrm, maybe. I already have a quick hurricane I use for cheap links. 6s align, already warps quicker than a cruiser.

Actually as I type this, a blanket reigning in of the cruisers combined with this existing change would make them more desirable to me.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#311 - 2015-04-24 11:49:05 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Hrm, maybe. I already have a quick hurricane I use for cheap links. 6s align, already warps quicker than a cruiser.

Actually as I type this, a blanket reigning in of the cruisers combined with this existing change would make them more desirable to me.

Took about 5 minutes to whip up a 4 link active, pick 5 to fit hurricane. for about 100m
It only gets better when the rig changes go live, and ends up almost fast enough to keep up with destroyers or frigates.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Cade Windstalker
#312 - 2015-04-24 19:35:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Sgt Ocker wrote:
I get that, which is why i suggested giving them the same warp speed as cruisers. The slower align time can be dealt with via fitting trade offs (and a mobile depot).
Overall the existing slower align time with cruiser warp speed would put them in a more favourable place for roaming.

The original reason for the overall change in warp speed as well as the changes in how warp speed affects warp time were meant to create a meaningful change in Eve, and they've obviously succeeded in doing that.

IMO if BCs aren't worth a very slight decrease in Cruiser warp speed then that's a problem with the class, not something that should be rectified by further homogenization. These changes make sense, because there really wasn't enough granular distinction between Cruisers, BCs, and Battleships. Just giving BCs the same warp speed as Cruisers though, is too much.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#313 - 2015-04-24 22:32:34 UTC
Sissy Fuzz wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

We are also making some tweaks to warp rig penalties. At the moment the two sets of warp rigs have -CPU penalties, which are among the most harsh penalties that rigs in EVE can have.

We are planning to change the penalty on Warp rigs into a Signature Radius increase (like the penalty on shield rigs). This penalty matters quite a bit for large nullsec fleets and small ships (two areas where we want to be cautious about the power level of warp speed rigs) but is much less important for smaller gang activities in large ships, as well as for mission runners. We hope that this change will open up some new interesting fitting options that people will enjoy.

Campers will love this, that's for sure. Have they been whining? Exactly what "power level" is it you are referring to when it comes to small ships? The power to throw 150 dps round real quick? Or the power to just warp the hell out of everyone and go scan the next system for relic signatures? What a nice word, "power level", btw... fluffy, vague... perfect.

I remember RSBs being nerfed because instalocking was a bit out of hand to a point where you could set a gate camp that nothing would be able to pass. Well, the sig penalty proposed here is one step back, right?

Yes, you can fit your interceptor for fast warping, in accordance with its intended use, but this will now only be an advantage as long as you stay in one system. Because you will be instalocked by any RSB-gang in all your bubble-imuneness glory if you try to go elsewhere.

CCP Fozzie wrote:

We hope that this change will open up some new interesting fitting options that people will enjoy.

Of course you do.

Interceptors intended central use is tackle. Not taxiing. Try to calm down.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#314 - 2015-04-24 22:37:06 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Sissy Fuzz wrote:

No, Interceptors are immune to bubbles now and can get their align speed high enough that they align before the server registers that a player has a target lock.

As before a euro player just needs good enough scan res roundtrip latency and reflexes. If all three are less than 2 seconds total he gets the lock. uncatchable align is a myth.
Cade Windstalker
#315 - 2015-04-25 08:22:44 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Sissy Fuzz wrote:

As before a euro player just needs good enough scan res roundtrip latency and reflexes. If all three are less than 2 seconds total he gets the lock. uncatchable align is a myth.

Nope, it's not, as someone else pointed out, the server operates in ticks and the lock mechanics are where this shows up. So one tick to lock, a second tick to confirm a lock, and at the start of the third tick the point goes active. So if you align and warp in less than 2 seconds you're uncatchable unless something bumps you or otherwise slows down your warp.
Wolfdun
Azure Insurgency
#316 - 2015-04-25 10:08:59 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Mizhir wrote:
GORSKI4CSMXI

Is kil2 running too? I'd vote for him. Smile

Lol kil2? Iirc he was employed by CCP as CCP Rise
Danyrd
Gone Krabbing
#317 - 2015-04-25 11:49:59 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

The original reason for the overall change in warp speed as well as the changes in how warp speed affects warp time were meant to create a meaningful change in Eve, and they've obviously succeeded in doing that.

IMO if BCs aren't worth a very slight decrease in Cruiser warp speed then that's a problem with the class, not something that should be rectified by further homogenization. These changes make sense, because there really wasn't enough granular distinction between Cruisers, BCs, and Battleships. Just giving BCs the same warp speed as Cruisers though, is too much.

They "Exceeded" "meaningful change", it removed so many ships from being suitable for roaming.

This pseudo buff to BC's is not going to make them any more suitable than they are now. It does not do anything to remedy the lack of "that something" that makes players want to fly a ship. BC's need to have a WOW (as in"that's great i want one") factor, they used to with T3 BC's but it has been lost with the cruiser buffs.
CCP did a great job buffing T1 cruisers - So good in fact they left BC's as the 2nd least viable option for gate to gate roaming, ahead only of Dreadnoughts.

Go roaming in a T1 cruiser gang, you can have all you need travelling together. Go roaming with a BC gang and logi, ewar etc all need to wait for the DPS to catch up. It is not only warp speed that creates the "wait" you need to add in align and warp acceleration as well, by the time those 2 kick in, support ships are holding on each gate for 15 to 20 seconds waiting for the main part of the fleet to catch up.
Fit the BC's so they can align and warp faster, you may as well just fly cruisers because any benefit you had with the BC is lost to fitting trade offs.
This change may reduce the "wait" to 10 12 to seconds, which when said quickly sounds ok but multiply that by 20 or 30 jumps and cruisers are still the way to go.

The duel drawback being introduced on warp rigs (sig radius + reduced tank) is especially harsh on shield doctrines, which are often preferred for roaming over longer distances. So they still won't get used.
Daerrol
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#318 - 2015-04-25 16:09:44 UTC
You guys do understand, the whole point of freuquent releases is to slowly change the game and not do it drastically. So you up BC Warp speed, wait 3 months (skip the next patch) and see how it went, then if it was not enough of a buff you up it again, or up something else entirely. So yeah, this patch SHOULD NOT totally fix BC, it should be one step of a gradual process that fixes them. I think it's a great start.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#319 - 2015-04-25 21:26:12 UTC
So which month is Ishtar fix month?

Probably offtopic. Sad
Danyrd
Gone Krabbing
#320 - 2015-04-25 23:24:31 UTC
Daerrol wrote:
You guys do understand, the whole point of freuquent releases is to slowly change the game and not do it drastically. So you up BC Warp speed, wait 3 months (skip the next patch) and see how it went, then if it was not enough of a buff you up it again, or up something else entirely. So yeah, this patch SHOULD NOT totally fix BC, it should be one step of a gradual process that fixes them. I think it's a great start.
Your right, this patch alone should not fix BC's, problem is, this patch has no meaning without knowing what comes next. It alone does not make BC's any better or worse to use than they are now.
I preferred the old way of updates and patching. At least with it, Devs posted information about what was coming and it was understandable because it tied into game change. Major changes to game play need to be put into the game together or at least communicated as a whole so players can make valid decisions
This method of rolling individual "patches" and the way CCP is now (not) communicating what is going on, leaves a lot to be desired.

For many years I tried to train characters and adjust game play in preparation for coming changes.. Yes they were major changes and often riddled with problems but at least you had plenty of warning about what was coming and could prepare.
Now, there is no point to planning skills and training based on what is happening in the next patch. There is a big chance, what you decide to train for when XXX update is released will become irrelevant in YYY patch.

Players old and new have made a commitment to the game, often a long term one and need to know what is happening in the game to be able to decide what to train, where to live, who to make enemies of and who you want for friends.
I'm not keeping subs active when I don't know from one month to the next whether it is worth it or not. I've invested a lot of time money and energy into my game and after 7 years, have no idea what to do next.

Right now it is hard to decide whether Eve is still worth playing as I have no idea what direction the game is taking.
People say, "wait and see" but how long do I keep "waiting", playing and paying for a game that has no direction, nothing I can base goals on?

- - - - - - - - -
NB: I have never seen so many good quality well skilled pilots for sale on the character bazaar. Players are dumping characters they have spent years training up, especially capital pilots. Many of them won't sell, unless literally dumped cheap because no-one knows if those pilots will have any use 6 weeks from now, let alone a year or two from now.
This character has made me a lot of isk over the years but is being sold as I just don't know if it will be useful to me anymore and I would rather just pass it on than sit on it and wait to see what happens, six weeks from now.