These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bombers and Battleships

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#41 - 2015-04-23 17:19:51 UTC
Bombers are not much of an issue with armour battleship fleets. The issue isnt with battleships but with all sheild tanking ships. A good bombing run will rip the heart out of any shield doctrine you care to bring.
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#42 - 2015-04-23 18:17:25 UTC
As has been pointed out, there are lots of reasons larger subcaps are unpopular, bombers being one portion, but surely not the only portion.

I think everyone can agree that outside of massive bomb waves, bombers aren't particularly powerful. They're slow and fragile, basically dead in the water against anything with small or medium weapons.

Even single bombs are not particularly strong. But waves and waves of bombs are perhaps another story?

I would caution against any change that is completely binary (say defender missiles are either good enough to render bombs pointless, or bad enough to not be worth equipping). Perhaps a more nuanced solution would be tweaking bomb damage, resists, etc to lower their efficacy in enormous waves?

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#43 - 2015-04-23 20:29:16 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:
As has been pointed out, there are lots of reasons larger subcaps are unpopular, bombers being one portion, but surely not the only portion.

I think everyone can agree that outside of massive bomb waves, bombers aren't particularly powerful. They're slow and fragile, basically dead in the water against anything with small or medium weapons.

Even single bombs are not particularly strong. But waves and waves of bombs are perhaps another story?

I would caution against any change that is completely binary (say defender missiles are either good enough to render bombs pointless, or bad enough to not be worth equipping). Perhaps a more nuanced solution would be tweaking bomb damage, resists, etc to lower their efficacy in enormous waves?

Proposal 1:
Halve the current damage and HP of bombs, while leaving other mechanics in place.
Foreseen consequences:
Now, you need to either make multiple runs to hurt a well tanked fleet, or accept that the bombs are there to identify the squishier ships in the fleet at the start of a conventional engagement, and make it a scramble to rep up bomb damage.
Does not include any strong counters to bombs, but makes them less relevent as a single strike AOE kill button.

Proposal 2:
12s reactivation timer on cloak after launching a bomb and bombs don't go off if the bomber isn't on grid, because telemetry and *lore*
Foreseen consequences:
Bomber die much more often, and some bombers end up dead before their bombs go off, taking those bombs out of the way.
Does not strong counter bombs other than fast-locking alpha ships (Hi Mr. Loki.....)

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#44 - 2015-04-24 02:12:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
James Baboli wrote:

Proposal 2:
12s reactivation timer on cloak after launching a bomb and bombs don't go off if the bomber isn't on grid, because telemetry and *lore*
Foreseen consequences:
Bomber die much more often, and some bombers end up dead before their bombs go off, taking those bombs out of the way.
Does not strong counter bombs other than fast-locking alpha ships (Hi Mr. Loki.....)

12s is in no way "fast-locking" and you know it.

Are you just unhappy that your aoe-warp-unenablers are not good enough?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#45 - 2015-04-24 08:18:39 UTC  |  Edited by: James Baboli
Alavaria Fera wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Proposal 2:
Foreseen consequences:

12s is in no way "fast-locking" and you know it.

Are you just unhappy that your aoe-warp-unenablers are not good enough?

12s to lock, and kill a target?
Especially as this change is intended to limit their effectiveness against battleships, who might get them locked and 2 cycles of short-range guns off at them?

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#46 - 2015-04-24 08:37:39 UTC
James Baboli wrote:

Especially as this change is intended to limit their effectiveness against battleships, who might get them locked and 2 cycles of short-range guns off at them?

Battleship fleets always have anti-support so your idea means no bombing run would ever work.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#47 - 2015-04-24 08:44:34 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Battleship fleets always have anti-support so your idea means no bombing run would ever work.

I have seen some without.
I'm firmly in the "a bombing run should be HARD, and rely on the other side screwing up to be particularly effective" camp, so forgive me if I give suggestions based on this belief.
Also, haven't been in null fleets much in the last year and change, so I've only seen it from the bomber's point of view.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#48 - 2015-04-24 08:56:08 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

I have seen some without.
I'm firmly in the "a bombing run should be HARD, and rely on the other side screwing up to be particularly effective" camp, so forgive me if I give suggestions based on this belief.
Also, haven't been in null fleets much in the last year and change, so I've only seen it from the bomber's point of view.

And i have seen titans without a support fleet, if your dumb enough you can do anything.

Do you even tryed to bomb a fleet ? It´s not that simple as you said.

And is btw one of the few option to counter a bigger blob. And i think we would need more of those options not less.

still -1
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#49 - 2015-04-24 09:06:03 UTC
Tabyll Altol wrote:

And i have seen titans without a support fleet, if your dumb enough you can do anything.

Do you even tryed to bomb a fleet ? It´s not that simple as you said.

And is btw one of the few option to counter a bigger blob. And i think we would need more of those options not less.

still -1

I've helped bomb some larger gangs, but never a full fleet.

I realize that this is one of the few effective forms of asymetric warfare, and respect it for that, but would prefer that such things be more reliant on inventiveness and novel approaches than stealth bomber runs hitting almost everything in a fleet if you get lucky enough and your enemy obliges.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2015-04-24 09:07:32 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Todays batshit insane idea.

Reverse bombs damage equation. Have them hit smaller targets harder.

i.e. bomb the logi off field, not the battleships. A blob without logi is a fat series of killmails waiting to happen.

I'm sure there are a million reasons why this is terrible but tbh...the thread kinda is too so....when in Rome....

edit: Or make the bombs lower resists//apply WH effects to targets for 30 seconds. Plenty ways to keep them a right PITA without going down the dps route.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#51 - 2015-04-24 09:22:09 UTC
afkalt wrote:

i.e. bomb the logi off field, not the battleships. A blob without logi is a fat series of killmails waiting to happen.

I'm sure there are a million reasons why this is terrible but tbh...the thread kinda is too so....when in Rome....

edit: Or make the bombs lower resists//apply WH effects to targets for 30 seconds. Plenty ways to keep them a right PITA without going down the dps route.

hmmm.

Remove sig entirely from the equation, and drop damage per bomb by 25%

Now bombers are scary to everyone who isn't already moving fast.

keep moving, keep living.....

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2015-04-24 23:35:19 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
afkalt wrote:

hmmm.

I actually like this a lot +1
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#53 - 2015-04-25 01:03:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
James Baboli wrote:

slippery slope effect. Sig radius is universal to missiles as a whole. And ccp in many fixes has made all missiles the same. GMP,rigs, etc that exempted unguided now work for them as an example.

CCP removes this for bombs....they would have to remove it for all. And I can think of many cases where I'd happily give up 25% of my theoretical damage to lose sig radius dependency. As even a target slammed with web if sig low enough is still not getting premium returns on missile damage. edit: Vice guns. I don't ponder long and hard as to why if I know I will have web support out the wazoo why I'd favor bringing a blasterthron over a torp BS.

But thats me...applied damage > theoretical.

I'd also kindly request my TP and sig radius related skills SP invested back. As would many. "Well TP helps turrets" would be a line of crap to sell to the tourists really.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2015-04-25 01:14:24 UTC
Tusker Crazinski wrote:
Honestly I think removing stealth would tone them down a bit, a bombing run would be much more difficult however no less effective.

They can get the spiffy new dscan immunity that combat recons got.
13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2015-04-25 01:21:28 UTC  |  Edited by: 13kr1d1
So essentially what you're saying is that you're being punished for fielding pure battleship fleets and not using a mix of all ship classes.

And the problem is with the bombers being too strong?

Why don't you try frigs and destroyers supporting your stuff.

Tusker Crazinski wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
afkalt wrote:

hmmm.

I actually like this a lot +1

Then you shouldn't have a say. Its a terrible idea, and anyone who likes it doesn't understand EvE.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2015-04-25 01:26:03 UTC
Zan Shiro wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

slippery slope effect. Sig radius is universal to missiles as a whole. And ccp in many fixes has made all missiles the same. GMP,rigs, etc that exempted unguided now work for them as an example.

CCP removes this for bombs....they would have to remove it for all. And I can think of many cases where I'd happily give up 25% of my theoretical damage to lose sig radius dependency. As even a target slammed with web if sig low enough is still not getting premium returns on missile damage. edit: Vice guns. I don't ponder long and hard as to why if I know I will have web support out the wazoo why I'd favor bringing a blasterthron over a torp BS.

But thats me...applied damage > theoretical.

I'd also kindly request my TP and sig radius related skills SP invested back. As would many. "Well TP helps turrets" would be a line of crap to sell to the tourists really.

There is a core difference between bombs and missiles, one requires a brian.
13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#57 - 2015-04-25 01:31:19 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
they need too make battleships the go to class for high dps high tank sub capital fights.. at the moment other classess can achieve this

Cruisers
- HAC's, pirate cruisers, T3's
gila - can do 900dps and with plenty of buffer + lower sig, much more mobility
T3's- high resists and big buffer setups + lower sig, much more mobility.

BC's
-command ships
in a dps and tank setup anyway + lower sig, maybe not as much dps with a 2 or 3 link setup.more mobility, higher resists.
- Attack bc's - can do out dps some battleships have more mobility + lower sig.
- Faction bc's - can compete with most battleships in both areas, more mobility + lower sig

Can you rephrase this, as right now it comes out as bafflegab to me?

point being there are plenty of ships smaller than battleships that can do just as much dps and/or tank just aswell but with the advantages of a smaller hull.

I completely agree not only with you but with your sig. Unfortunately, you have to have power creep in ishtars and T3s to appease bored players who want ultimate power with all their isk, because they seem unwillingly to stay equal in power to everyone else unless fielding a cap ship.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2015-04-25 01:34:29 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
they need too make battleships the go to class for high dps high tank sub capital fights.. at the moment other classess can achieve this

Cruisers

BC's
-command ships
in a dps and tank setup anyway + lower sig, maybe not as much dps with a 2 or 3 link setup.more mobility, higher resists.
- Faction bc's - can compete with most battleships in both areas, more mobility + lower sig

point being there are plenty of ships smaller than battleships that can do just as much dps and/or tank just aswell but with the advantages of a smaller hull.

okay, now I get it, and agree to a point. No cruiser can match the raw DPS of a similarly fit battleship, but they can apply much more of that DPS to anything other than battleships on up. But, t3s are unmatched in subcaps for EHP when brick fit, and have stellar non-resist mitigation to boot. HACs can't manage the same EHP, but still have that stellar mitigation

which is why I quit eve for a long time the first time. They didn't listen to Sirlin. Gameplay with power creep becomes stale and uninteresting, and like I said in an FW thread, people have to come to an unspoken agreement to field T1 hulls, otherwise one side just quits playing and no one gets and fights, therefoer everyone gets bored and the game ends.

They should've listend to sirlin.

Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#59 - 2015-04-25 02:03:22 UTC
afkalt wrote:

I can't really imagine the consequences but I toyed with a similar idea for some time. People in small fast ships who are actually playing the game won't be hit by a slow-moving bomb. Battleships will tank the damage easily. It really primarily punishes people for lack of situational awareness instead of all this other stuff.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#60 - 2015-04-25 02:45:02 UTC
13kr1d1 wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Harvey James wrote:

Cruisers

BC's
-command ships

I completely agree not only with you but with your sig. Unfortunately, you have to have power creep in ishtars and T3s to appease bored players who want ultimate power with all their isk, because they seem unwillingly to stay equal in power to everyone else unless fielding a cap ship.

Oh my god ... someone actually agrees with me fully.. this never happens ShockedBig smile

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using