These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#521 - 2015-04-23 21:04:01 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Yes, but by outsourcing reps onto a cruiser, isn't the logi a priority target, which is softer than the ships it supports?

Do we want self sufficient throns to outfight an equal number of BS that rely on logi support?

What I want is to kick logi in the nuts in these large fights so we get much bloodier battles. Right now once you have a critical mass of logi then there is no amount of firepower that will break your fleet.

Seriously, go fight a super fleet with any subcap. It doesnt matter how many pilots you bring.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#522 - 2015-04-23 21:06:32 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Yes, but by outsourcing reps onto a cruiser, isn't the logi a priority target, which is softer than the ships it supports?

Do we want self sufficient throns to outfight an equal number of BS that rely on logi support?

What I want is to kick logi in the nuts in these large fights so we get much bloodier battles. Right now once you have a critical mass of logi then there is no amount of firepower that will break your fleet.

Seriously, go fight a super fleet with any subcap. It doesnt matter how many pilots you bring.

It could, but the number is so insanely high that the servers would melt, and CCP's staff would all be driving expensive sports cars and swinging gilded nerfbats from the sub fees.

Agreed in practical terms though.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Krystyn
Serenity Rising LLC
Controlled Chaos
#523 - 2015-04-29 16:25:51 UTC
So let's recap. Battleships are nearly useless outside of L4 Mission in High Sec and running Incursions and structure bashes and some other limited PVE aspects(ratting/anoms).
Although, they may not be the best choice for some of those activities, they are at least functional in those.
Did I miss any area where they are useful?

They suck because they are horribly slow. They cost way too much to build/buy in general and in comparison to cruisers they are much more expensive in price per effectiveness for pvp, thus they are very rarely used. They are easy to hit by Dreads and pretty much anything smaller. They can't really hit cruisers and below with their primary weapon systems and Battlecruisers are hardly used so one of the few things they can reliably hit is hardly ever seen. And the new T3 Destroyers can easily scan them down and eat them for lunch.

I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out, but that's mostly what I got out of reading this thread so far.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#524 - 2015-04-29 16:40:40 UTC  |  Edited by: James Baboli
Krystyn wrote:
So let's recap. Battleships are nearly useless outside of L4 Mission in High Sec and running Incursions and structure bashes and some other limited PVE aspects(ratting/anoms).
Although, they may not be the best choice for some of those activities, they are at least functional in those.
Did I miss any area where they are useful?

They suck because they are horribly slow. They cost way too much to build/buy in general and in comparison to cruisers they are much more expensive in price per effectiveness for pvp, thus they are very rarely used. They are easy to hit by Dreads and pretty much anything smaller. They can't really hit cruisers and below with their primary weapon systems and Battlecruisers are hardly used so one of the few things they can reliably hit is hardly ever seen. And the new T3 Destroyers can easily scan them down and eat them for lunch.

I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out, but that's mostly what I got out of reading this thread so far.

They are also good for station games, or for killing people doing suspect baiting on undocks.
but that is about it, as those fits end up using all of one or another rack to be usable in that way.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#525 - 2015-04-30 08:31:50 UTC  |  Edited by: James Baboli
Suggested stats for navy caldari and minmatar hulls are up in the working space.
Offcially supporting the changes contained in the OP of battlecruiser application bonus thread as the way to go to make CBCs worth flying, and part of a holistically balance sub-cap environment which includes all sizes of sub-caps.

May get other navy hulls done yet this morning.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#526 - 2015-04-30 09:57:44 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Suggested stats for navy caldari and minmatar hulls are up in the working space.
Offcially supporting the changes contained in the OP of battlecruiser application bonus thread as the way to go to make CBCs worth flying, and part of a holistically balance sub-cap environment which includes all sizes of sub-caps.

May get other navy hulls done yet this morning.

I said this before but you have been doing so much to keep this up that I must say thank you once more!

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#527 - 2015-05-03 15:48:01 UTC
So, to my casual and fanatical readers, I pose a question.

Should the navy domi double down on drones, as I dislike the current split bonuses (thinking drone speed increase in place of hybrid bonus) or turn into a total brick, similar to the SNI, by swapping the drone bonus for an armor resist bonus?

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#528 - 2015-05-03 17:09:50 UTC
James Baboli wrote:

Should the navy domi double down on drones, as I dislike the current split bonuses (thinking drone speed increase in place of hybrid bonus) or turn into a total brick, similar to the SNI, by swapping the drone bonus for an armor resist bonus?

Non sentry drone speed and tracking because armor resist is an amarr thing.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#529 - 2015-05-03 18:22:04 UTC
I actually like the split bonus on the Navy Dominix. It gives the younger Vexor pilots an idea on how this ship would be if they train for it.
And she will not be entirely useless once all the drones have been destroyed.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#530 - 2015-05-03 19:45:01 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Non sentry drone speed and tracking because armor resist is an amarr thing.

Thus speed, as the game needs more sentry platforms like I need a ballistic trepanation.
Maybe 20% to get heavies to catch slower cruisers Twisted

elitatwo wrote:

I actually like the split bonus on the Navy Dominix. It gives the younger Vexor pilots an idea on how this ship would be if they train for it.

An opinion I can respect, with reasoning that had not occured to me. I still dislike it, but it makes more sense now.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#531 - 2015-05-11 16:27:03 UTC
I posted a different battleship thread that focuses more on larger role and meta concepts, and the directions they should take. I'd like to keep it separate of yours since you're really getting down to the nuts and bolts of the issue, and I want to focus more on the forest of running Ents instead of the stampede of trees: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5736995#post5736995
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#532 - 2015-05-11 18:58:26 UTC
I think the phoon is in a good spot atm. Both the t1 and fleet versions. The pest is.... well i dont fly them because they have no role to speak of really. The fleet pest is a alittle better because the extra grid allows for some fun fits (triple repd, dual cap boosted or arty doctrine).

The big issue i have is with the fleet cane. The whole "its the old cane" irks me alil. There is no more "old cane" anymore, the old cane died with TE and speed nerf, now its just an overpriced husk of its former self. Every other faction BC has tracking/application bonuses, except the cane. Stuck with the same dmg/rof bonus as the t1 version. I would rather see the fleet cane look something like this:

Hurricane fleet issue
10% damage per level
7.5% tracking per level

And IF my projection changes go through, faction BCs will have a very strong role with application and range bonuses (like destroyers). This will seperate them from CS and the t1 variants. Since CS will have either range + tank or application + tank. The t1s will only have range, but less application and tank.

A couple faction bcs in a gang will definitely hurt the cruiser blobs with those bonuses. Unlike now, where faction bc barely see any use.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#533 - 2015-05-11 18:58:59 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

I also like the split bonus on the Navy Dominix.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#534 - 2015-05-12 14:11:00 UTC
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

*snipping the good stuff to smoke later*
The big issue i have is with the fleet cane. The whole "its the old cane" irks me alil. There is no more "old cane" anymore, the old cane died with TE and speed nerf, now its just an overpriced husk of its former self. Every other faction BC has tracking/application bonuses, except the cane. Stuck with the same dmg/rof bonus as the t1 version. I would rather see the fleet cane look something like this:
*more good stuff snipped to the stash*

So much love for this. I am still in absolute lust for what the hurricane was when I started. I made my first billion in one of the arty canes that were only possible because TEs, running c2 sites. It is sad to see so many integral parts of what made the ship viable changed and the ships which were built around them not nearly adapt to the changes.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#535 - 2015-05-12 14:48:28 UTC  |  Edited by: James Baboli
I was noodling about with some spreadsheets, and got some interesting results using the ratios of sizes currently extant to make up some XL buffer modules (spreadsheet working space in the link).

XL Shield Extender II 6563HP 879PG 63CPU 90Sig
And

3200MM plate II 9600HP 1438PG 39CPU 15000000 kg
6400MM plate II 19200HP 3594PG 46CPU 37500000 Kg

The high grid prevents them from being used on almost anything but battleships and BCs with otherwise seriously compromised fits, which would make something like these a partial solution to the "Battleships aren't tough enough relative to cruisers" but would create potential for significant HP creep.

*Ed: used the wrong ratio for the XL shield extender HP, new HP is the scaling between medium and large

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#536 - 2015-05-12 16:21:23 UTC
With special thanks to Iroquoiss Pliskin for converting or reposting the heavy math into easy to spreadsheet math, the working space for the battleships now includes peak shield and capacitor regen for current and proposed.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Strata Maslav
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#537 - 2015-05-15 09:38:29 UTC
If you look at the Machariel you can see an example of an effective battleship. Its bonus to warp speed and range allows it to dictate fights.

I do not think that all battleships should have their warp speed increased but I do think there need to be positive trade off for having a low warp speed. I would love to see an increase in tank for battleships and increase in the optimal range for all short range large guns.

This would turn them into more of the 'bullies' they ought to be.

I think CCP are waiting for the 'Fozzie Sov' changes to go into affect before they make their mind up about battleships.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#538 - 2015-05-15 10:23:21 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
I was noodling about with some spreadsheets, and got some interesting results using the ratios of sizes currently extant to make up some XL buffer modules (spreadsheet working space in the link).

XL Shield Extender II 5271HP 879PG 63CPU 90Sig
And

The high grid prevents them from being used on almost anything but battleships and BCs with otherwise seriously compromised fits, which would make something like these a partial solution to the "Battleships aren't tough enough relative to cruisers" but would create potential for significant HP creep.

Ratios hold the Truth and Beauty of Life. Smile

This needs to happen.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#539 - 2015-05-15 15:03:48 UTC  |  Edited by: James Baboli
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

XL Shield Extender II 6563HP 879PG 63CPU 90Sig
And

Ratios hold the Truth and Beauty of Life. Smile

This needs to happen.

Messed up the ratios. post quoted is now corrected, and corrected portion is bolded above

I am more than slightly worried about the growing disparity of the highest LSE being about 1/3 the HP of the largest plate though.

I think moving to the ratio between micro and small, and then small and medium would yield better results for a VL and then XL shield extender. This gives us a yield of 2 modules, to match armor, with
Very large 5,270HP 495PG 62CPU 50Sig
XL 21,040HP 5115PG 92CPU 175Sig

which means that a drake (famous for the heavy passive tanks they can mount) can just get a VL shield extender on, for a tad bit better than twice the shield HP, but the 5k grid of an XL requires sacrifices on even battleships. For example, of the t1 battleships the Rokh would undeniably benefit most from the XL shield extender, with the resist bonus and already bloated sig. However, to fit it with 425mm railgun IIs and a meta MWD, with perfect skills, would require a RCU II and an ACR I if these were implemented without any fitting changes to the hulls, or tweaks to the fitting requirements.

The extreme HP numbers for heavy for the size class fitting requirements also put them much more in line with the current meta of 800 and 1600 plates or LSEs on cruisers, which let most cruisers double their raw HP with a single heavy mod, rather than the double and triple plates which are required for fleet battleships, meaning that now fleet battleships can begin to mount more than just tank in their larger number of slots. This makes battleships more viable as a class, as they can now mount more damage mods for armor fits, or more tackle/ewar for shield fits, because they are running the same number of slots for buffer (1) as the cruisers they are competing against, for similar benefit (doubling or better their raw HP in their primary tank) at similar cost (massive fitting cost relative to fitting room)

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#540 - 2015-05-15 15:38:45 UTC
James dear,
I am not conviced that bigger plates or shield extenders are the way to go because that will end up with a thread like this in the not distant future.

Many threads like this one were made here which lead to the tiericide announcement in late 2011. With Crucible and Retribution came the cruisers and a very heavy nerf to the most popular ships of that time.

When they the devblog about the tiericide I had some reservations and made a long list of what could go wrong if they give too much.
Now here we are.

Except for most faction and pirate faction battleships the general tech one need a little something to make them worth undocking once more.
While being a huge success the attack and combat line of battleships just doesn't work in the nano ageā„¢ 2.0 and the main reason for asking for more tank is that battleships are prone to recieve more damage - 70-100% of all what cruisers have ready to throw at them.

The mjd was certainly a good idea but the module has too many downsides to have them as a mandatory everyday module. The mwd capacitor consumption was a very good and welcome mini-buff in overall mobility of battleships.

Movement is the single most important aspect of pvp and I think we should start there and give battleships some resiliance to propulsion systems like all battleships mjds and mwds can no longer be turned of by any scram and a 50% less effectiveness of stasis webbifiers on battleships.
And an overall gun signature reduction to 275mm instead of 400mm should help with tracking. (Then put it on SiSi and let us take an extended look)