These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bombers and Battleships

First post
Author
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#21 - 2015-04-22 20:22:54 UTC
Tusker Crazinski wrote:
Honestly I think removing stealth would tone them down a bit, a bombing run would be much more difficult however no less effective.

But would ruin them for ambush play with torps.

The mechanics are all good mechanics. The issue is the numbers inside the mechanics are skewed in certain directions.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#22 - 2015-04-22 20:44:52 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Tusker Crazinski wrote:
Honestly I think removing stealth would tone them down a bit, a bombing run would be much more difficult however no less effective.

The mechanics are all good mechanics. The issue is the numbers inside the mechanics are skewed in certain directions.

also.. they wouldn't be stealth bombers anymore..

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#23 - 2015-04-22 22:59:56 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
That is only a tiny portion of why battleships don't work. You know you can't throw bombs in empire space, right?

this really. It be warp speed I'd be looking at off the top of my head.

Assuming OP had half the stuff in place he asked for they'd still have this problem. BS's slow boating, emphasis on slow, this bomber wing would have a decent amount of time to stage themselves to not decloak each other.

Also kind of wondering why fc made the call to jump when scouts reported 8 non blues that weren't showing up on d-scan. If no scouts...well that was a bad call to start with. even on cruiser roams you should leave some room for frigs really imo.
Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2015-04-22 23:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Tusker Crazinski
James Baboli wrote:
Tusker Crazinski wrote:

yeah that's fine and all, I'm just not sure why the hulls that can bring the most destructive power in the game to baer also gets invulnerability through invisibility.

I simply think bombing runs and fighting bombing runs would be cooler if you actually had to dodge lead on your way in.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#25 - 2015-04-23 00:06:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Tusker Crazinski wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Tusker Crazinski wrote:

yeah that's fine and all, I'm just not sure why the hulls that can bring the most destructive power in the game to baer also gets invulnerability through invisibility.

I simply think bombing runs and fighting bombing runs would be cooler if you actually had to dodge lead on your way in.

cloaked ships can't do anything.....invincibility at the cost being a paperweight.

barring ninjya hot drop a good scout and the scouted can work out potential problems if they think really hard about the situation. 8 targets you can't find. 8 targets not decloaking to jump the lone scout. Spidey sense should be tripping hard. I know from cloaked camping...I do not decloak for scouts. I want to see and potentially kill what scout is scouting. So does the camp as a whole. Jump the gun, kill the scout, what it is scouting finds any other gate to use...except the one you are on the other side of.

Soooo....scout lives. When not cloak camping I remember this. Someone taught me this...I am guessing many know this too lol.

Bombs are los weapons, you have them going from op (maybe...we can leave open to debate really) to useless. frigate that flies in straight lines to set up the bomb run for seconds is a dead frigate. Especially when the most common fit for these is MSE fit. Straight-line flgiht, fatter sig radius....boom. Frigate dropping bombs while keeping traversal is basically playing darts drunk....and blind folded to use an analogy.
Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#26 - 2015-04-23 01:02:40 UTC
Killboards suggest that battleships are dying to cruiser size ships with battleship DPS in the form of sentries, and not bombs.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#27 - 2015-04-23 02:30:35 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
Killboards suggest that battleships are dying to cruiser size ships with battleship DPS in the form of sentries, and not bombs.

Time to make a thread about

cruiser size ships with battleship dps in the form of sentires and battleships

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#28 - 2015-04-23 03:47:31 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

wouldn't be an eve thread with a tie in to a ship whose name we don't even need to mention.

what's funny is besides no decloak in groups no changes to bombers was ever made really (well the nice makeover but that was cosmetic). It was just one day some peeps started a trend and it took off. Even before this change to group flight.

I call this sour grapes after looking at eve history tbh. Bombers weren't a problem until the days of Titan AOE ended. Mainly because with titan AOE fleet wiping power was in the hands of the larger/richer crews. Of course they didn't mind fleet stomping AOE in this format...only they could afford it.

My tin foil moment idea anyway. It was all fun and games to bring massive AOE...until it was switched to ships the "scrubs" could afford.

Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2015-04-23 05:02:50 UTC
Acel Tokalov wrote:
Can we please hurry and get the nerf to either bombs or bombers? Back in November CCP was considering making cloaked ships able to decloak each other again, then went back on that because people complained. The biggest factor in making battleships nearly non-existent in null sec is bombs, as much as people may complain about the 2au/s warp speed (and it does suck). Bombs are a completely broken mechanic because it is possible for 7-8 bombers to land cloaked on grid, decloak, fire, then warp off and in less than 13 seconds be able to wipe out an equal or greater number of ships. Of all the ships in EVE they are the only ones capable of doing this, and it is specifically against battleships, and to a slightly lesser extent battlecruisers.

In their other role as small torpedo boats there is no issue with bombers, typically for hot drops or to a lesser extent roams and structure bashing. They are small, inexpensive ships that are relatively easy to train into and do good damage to large targets. Also in their role as torpedo boats they may or may not fit a cloak as it is not used in an offensive manner like with bombing runs.

Over the weekend I got a few other people together to do a battleship roam because I miss the old days before bombs when I actually got to use my Tempest, and despite the relatively short notice I actually got a significant number of people who were also excited about going out and shooting stuff with slow lumbering battleships instead of the typical null sec meta of only cruisers, destroyers, and frigates. Shortly after we set out, people on intel channels heard that we had battleships in the area they quickly formed an 8 man bomber fleet and ambushed us. Thankfully we were sitting on a gate and most of us jumped out in time so we only had 1 loss, but it speaks to how overpowered bombs are against battleships when a 40 man fleet with about 25 battleships and battlecruisers has to be concerned about being wiped out by 8 guys in ships that are at best 1/10th the value of the opposing fleet.

There are a number of things that could be implemented to reduce the effectiveness of specifically bombs while not nerfing bombers in their other roles.

• Actually go through with the plan to make cloaked ships decloak each other so that there is some additional warning either with active D-scan vigilance while they are in warp or seeing a cluster of bombers land on grid in your overview to give you a few extra seconds to have anti-bomber ships try and knock out some of them or give battleships extra reaction time to spread out and avoid damage. Proximity decloaking would 90% of the time only affect bombers that are clustered and preparing to do a bombing run and it would only be a minor hindrance to other ships that fit cloaks.

• Make bombs do less damage as it radiates out from the center of the impact zone. This would make it so that bombs aren't the current 30km AOE nuke that can wipe out every subcap of a large enough sig radius in the entire blast zone. Doing decreasing damage as the blast radiates outward from the impact zone would also make accuracy important for doing maximum damage against a specific target.

• Make it so that there is a firing delay after decloaking of some type, either bombers have to have a target locked to fire, or a flat delay after decloaking.

• Making defender missiles a point defense tool to counter bombs/ allowing small ships to target bombs and shoot them.

Let us asume that all enemy bombers have the Cov-Op´s skill to 5 so you had to handel an volley of 64k. If you can´t get that amount of ehp on a battleship you deserve to die. I mean really most BS i have are 150 k or more. For that you would need about 3 bombing runs.

To prevent bombing you can :

- Use am MJD (7.5 sec activation time)
- Burn out of the area with an MWD (tricky)
- Warp out

And if bombing would be that easy like you tell, just use the bomber next time. You should be fine.

-1 for a whine thread
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#30 - 2015-04-23 06:02:24 UTC
Now we might be "whining" as you call it but there are some of us who just LIKE flying battleships more then we light flying 2 jumped up cruisers with shield tanks...

I used to fly spidertanked geddons in wormholes, best fights i have ever been in and that was specifically because wormholers assumed we were idiots with their shiny t3 boats... Always hilarious when they assume you're Heptastabbed closing geddons and you Up cap chain and start spreading points;) "by the way pointed and your logi is getting heavily neuted and is out of cap.... Wait for it... NOW"

Double doomsday tanking was ALSO ridiculous, I lived in Wicked Creek during the great war for the south and it was ridiculous the kind of things you needed to your fitting if the fc called "DD tanked please".
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#31 - 2015-04-23 07:59:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarisen Gream
Here's an idea.
Remove stealth and make them d-scan immune

I think this falls into some comments above.
It would also effect them in the cloaky camper side as they could not land on grid and sneak up on an active player.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Madd Adda
#32 - 2015-04-23 09:14:18 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
Here's an idea.
Remove stealth and make them d-scan immune

I think this falls into some comments above.
It would also effect them in the cloaky camper side as they could not land on grid and sneak up on an active player.

they wouldn't be stealth bombers without stealth....

Carebear extraordinaire

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2015-04-23 09:22:58 UTC
If you alter them, what else stops a huge (dominix) fleet from roflstomping EVERYTHING?
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#34 - 2015-04-23 09:54:50 UTC
Bombs are working as intended, dont blob and you are fine.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#35 - 2015-04-23 13:57:52 UTC
they willl probably reduce the damage of bombs.. simplest solution, would be nice if they combined it with the point of impact and shockwave damage mechanic though.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2015-04-23 14:16:14 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

I tried that the other day, thread got closed down.

It's not permitted to discuss Ishtards, haven't you heard?

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2015-04-23 14:44:35 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
they willl probably reduce the damage of bombs.. simplest solution, would be nice if they combined it with the point of impact and shockwave damage mechanic though.

It would be better to make the bombs have less HP or lower their resists so that a bomber blob wastes their own bombs a little easier effectively capping the number of bombers per run.

Whilst people could do multiple runs, it gives the targets slightly more time to escape/much greater chance of the bombers screwing up.
To mare
Advanced Technology
#38 - 2015-04-23 15:07:11 UTC
i would tone down the damage of a full bomb wave, and increase the dps they can do with torps.
the torp dps was impressive when they was just rebalanced but now after all the frigs and cruisers tiericide ist still good but nothing really worth using especially with the terribad application.

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#39 - 2015-04-23 16:09:58 UTC
The reason we sorta frown on ishtar discussion is that everyone knows they need to be hit in the head with a nerfbat and that all the common solutions have been discussed TO DEATH "make sentries battleship only" "remove sentry bonusses" "do something to make shield ishtars less good" etc ad naseum have all been mentioned and done...

And yes, that idea you think is original, its probably either broken, stupid, not original or all 3
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2015-04-23 17:11:25 UTC
FireFrenzy wrote:
The reason we sorta frown on ishtar discussion is that everyone knows they need to be hit in the head with a nerfbat and that all the common solutions have been discussed TO DEATH "make sentries battleship only" "remove sentry bonusses" "do something to make shield ishtars less good" etc ad naseum have all been mentioned and done...

And yes, that idea you think is original, its probably either broken, stupid, not original or all 3

There is also a shitload of people who trained into the ship we cannot talk about and seem to be unwilling to train into something else.