These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Internet Data Usage Question

First post
Author
Tim Ashworth
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-04-23 05:25:01 UTC
Hi i just started playing tonight and i was wondering how much data the game uses while im playing... i have a data cap on my internet so i dont want to end up using too much and paying for it... anyone know how much data per hour EVE usually eats up?

Thanks
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#2 - 2015-04-23 05:37:13 UTC
almost nothing Lol

press ctrl+shift+alt+m (i think?) to bring up the monitor in game and it tells you all sorts of things. mostly just have to watch out for patches. a lot of the network code was written for 10+ years ago.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-04-23 06:36:59 UTC
Very, very little.

I play EVE 3-4 hours most days from a connection that has a 2GB/month cap and I don't come close to hitting it if I'm just playing EVE (the major releases have to be installed from somewhere else though)
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#4 - 2015-04-23 09:58:37 UTC
Long ago I asked this question to CCP

The answer was basically "not much but impossible to estimate" this is due to the tie between what you do ingame and the usage, the mosr you do etc the higher the use however EvE is not heavy use at all, even if you are online 23.5 hours a day in fleet battles.
Tim Ashworth
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-04-23 12:20:47 UTC
Thanks for the help guys. I downloaded it at my girlfriends house so i wouldnt use my data... ill just do that for updates and i should be good to go.

thanks again
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#6 - 2015-04-23 12:56:11 UTC
Tim Ashworth wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I downloaded it at my girlfriends house so i wouldnt use my data... ill just do that for updates and i should be good to go.

thanks again

Just make sure that you have download on demand set to download everything, while you're connected at your GF's house.

You may also want to set up a sisi client, using the same shared cache and update that there semi regularly. (as when things go live, they'll be using the same graphics as were used on sisi (mostly) and you've already downloaded them)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#7 - 2015-04-23 14:00:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Mac
Playing in EVE w/o downloads 5-7MB per hour

EDIT: without Voice Chat btw
Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#8 - 2015-04-23 14:02:14 UTC
Mr Mac wrote:

Might be bit more if flying in big fleet
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-04-23 14:22:56 UTC
Mr Mac wrote:

EDIT: without Voice Chat btw

That's similar to what I've seen when I've looked at my utilization. (Specifically, 6.3 MB/hr. And that's with EVE Voice.)
Which means, OP, if you play 8 hours a day for 30 days, you'll use up 1.2 to 1.8 GB of data.
Tim Ashworth
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-04-23 22:47:53 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Tim Ashworth wrote:

thanks again

Just make sure that you have download on demand set to download everything, while you're connected at your GF's house.

You may also want to set up a sisi client, using the same shared cache and update that there semi regularly. (as when things go live, they'll be using the same graphics as were used on sisi (mostly) and you've already downloaded them)

yea definetly need to go do that... i used half a gig last night in an hour and a half lol didnt know about the on demand download thing. ive got it all sorted out now though and all is good. i can totally deal with 5-10mb an hour no problem... so ill be seeing you all out there sometime im sure :)

thanks again for all the help guys
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#11 - 2015-04-24 00:43:52 UTC
Yeah the download on demand system will be a killer.

Basically there's an upfront ~8GB download then the ~10MB/hr rates mentioned before.

But download on demand will spread that 8GB over a considerable amount of time.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-04-24 04:38:45 UTC
On the plus side EVE does not distribute stuff by bit torrent so you will not be getting hit for uploads the way you can with games like WoW.