These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New industrial ship idea

Author
Throbbit
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-04-20 00:20:06 UTC
So ive been mining in a fleet for a while now and i had a revelation. There are a ton of miners that arent in range due to smaller ships or lack of skills. It makes it harder on the newer players who are trying to get into the game.

My idea is to make a tech 2 version of the orca that has a module much like the bastion module in the fact that you cant move and your stats are boosted by it but, it would create a gravity well that would pull all asteroids in the current belt within 10km of the ship, therefore allowing all miners to get to the roids.

The Shields of the ships mining would protect them from the gravity and when the module is turned off the roids would go back to their original position. now yes that means the tech 2 orca wouldnt be able to haul but with a big reward of not having to move fleet you need a downside of having to have haulers for the mining op.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2015-04-20 00:21:36 UTC
Is there some reason they can't move closer to the asteroids?
Throbbit
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-04-20 00:26:56 UTC
if the orca is sitting in one spot for the maximum benifit of the mining barges that have way better range then they would have to take it back to the orca or have the orca tractor it in. as far as i can tell most orca pilots dont want to have to put out effort other than boosts and hauling lol
Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#4 - 2015-04-20 00:32:18 UTC
This sounds like it's better suited to the Industrial mode of the Rorqual.

It'll get them in belts, and get them on lossmails, all while being useful to miners.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2015-04-20 00:36:44 UTC
Yeah Biatch, Magnets!

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2015-04-20 00:49:27 UTC
The orca does have a tractor beam bonus which can reach out to 84km though.

And rorqual already has a capital tractor beam that reaches out to 200-250km I think
Throbbit
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-04-20 00:51:38 UTC
Rowells wrote:

And rorqual already has a capital tractor beam that reaches out to 200-250km I think

This would be a tech 2 ship and module. requiring more training and a specialized use. 75% of ships have a tech 2 variant so why not give orca pilots something else since they have been in the same ship doing the same thing for years now
Lugh Crow-Slave
#8 - 2015-04-20 01:10:51 UTC
Throbbit wrote:
if the orca is sitting in one spot for the maximum benifit of the mining barges that have way better range then they would have to take it back to the orca or have the orca tractor it in. as far as i can tell most orca pilots dont want to have to put out effort other than boosts and hauling lol

... mtu?

these things can keep up with a fleet of over 15 hulks

on a side note +1 if the roids come in so fast the orca is smashed Twisted otherwise not needed
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-04-20 01:11:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiddle Jr
Throbbit wrote:
Rowells wrote:

This would be a tech 2 ship and module. requiring more training and a specialized use. 75% of ships have a tech 2 variant so why not give orca pilots something else since they have been in the same ship doing the same thing for years now

Orca has mining links bonus, mining links have T2 versions, small tractor beam has T2 version. There are also skills (Leadership category) which miximazing work of whole fleet and fleet booster members. Not to mention implants.

If your corpmates are cba to click in space and fly to the next roid then all of you i repeat ALL of you should burn in hell of raged fire of Revelation's lazor beams.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#10 - 2015-04-20 01:18:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Maldiro Selkurk
deleted

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2015-04-20 01:27:23 UTC
Tiddle Jr wrote:
Yeah Biatch, Magnets!

******* magnets, how do they work?
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-04-20 02:14:09 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Tiddle Jr wrote:
Yeah Biatch, Magnets!

******* magnets, how do they work?

Ore Magnets work perfectly well tbh. You have a module fitted on Orca and it's called let's say "Rockstion I".
What is all about this module you would ask. And i will answer. You would be able to fit mining crystals onto tractor beams. T1 version of crystal gives you 50km range and T2 version 75km. So when this module is activated your tractor beams are able to tow a roid with specific ore within above said range right to your Orca. Success! And those hungry guys in Hulk who are on a stand by they would immediatelly start grindidng those roids.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#13 - 2015-04-20 02:19:53 UTC
Throbbit wrote:
Rowells wrote:

Only 1 capital ship has a tech 2 variant, so the orca isn't out of line there. Tech 2 is meant for specialization into a certain area, whereas the orca and rorqual roles are general support.

Otherwise you're adding another ship for the sake of having another ship.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#14 - 2015-04-20 03:37:33 UTC
also wouldn't this make the orcas range boost pointless and the hulks range bonus nearly pointless
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#15 - 2015-04-20 04:24:34 UTC
Throbbit wrote:

Sounds like you need new Orca pilots.

There is no reason the Orca can't move with the rest of the mining barges. It HAS thrusters.
Granted, the Orca won't win any races... but mining is not exactly a "fast-paced" activity.

Also... the Mobile Tractor Unit is dirt cheap and takes up little space in the cargohold.
Cade Windstalker
#16 - 2015-04-20 05:48:03 UTC
So, for one you've clearly never been in Null. Some of the rocks out there are 10km wide. Moving them all that close to this theoretical ship would put rocks cleanly inside one another.

Next, if this is an issue, then why not simply give a range bonus. Which brings us to the last issue which is...

Why bother training range at all if you're just going to make the skill replaceable with a ship boost. The point of the range on mining is that it makes it more efficient. The newbies can either move back and forth between their rock and the Orca or you can all move the Orca a little closer to one part of the belt for the benefit of the newbies. Either one works.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#17 - 2015-04-20 08:00:25 UTC
Tiddle Jr wrote:
Yeah Biatch, Magnets!

Not magnets, silly, gravity.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-04-20 08:10:49 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Tiddle Jr wrote:
Yeah Biatch, Magnets!

Not magnets, silly, gravity.

He said gravity i'm proposing roid magnets.

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#19 - 2015-04-20 12:15:02 UTC
Moving slowly through a belt while barges consume it takes almost no effort at all, I advise you to get Orca pilots worth a damn instead of having CCP waste time and resources in order to compensate for their idleness.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#20 - 2015-04-20 16:37:56 UTC
although I like the idea, I don't think it's worth the dev time.....

bodge-fix for you:
ventures warp in (with AB/MWD fitted and online)
burn from the belt BM to the half way point of the 'roid crescent (I'll put up a picture if it's unclear)
make sure there are no rocks at 2 km or less (move back towards belt BM if need be)
warp the orca & barges to one of the warp in ventures (which start mining what's close to them)
orca parks, boosts, and goes semi-AFK
barges land, get themselves into their preferred positions, and start munching the belt from the ends in

sorted

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.