These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

download on demand

First post First post
Author
Eon Xero
Victory or Whatever
Pen Is Out
#81 - 2015-03-25 17:39:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Eon Xero
Bienator II wrote:
telling the launcher to download everything does not help with the fps drops. We all already had everything in the cache anyway after the migration. So the checkbox wouldn't do anything anyway - its already downloaded. It must have something to do with the asset loading process itself when you land on grid.

Seems like CCP may have made a bad move here and I hope they fix the stutters. Adding new "features" that no one really cares about that impacts performance negatively is something F2P devs do.
Wolf Kruol
Suicide Squad Gamma
#82 - 2015-03-25 17:58:46 UTC
Yup this stuttering hiccups are a pain. I had some interesting things happen with this new lag issue. CCP please fix it.

“If you're very very stupid? How can you possibly realize you're very very stupid?

You have to be relatively intelligent to realize how stupid you really are!”

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#83 - 2015-03-25 18:01:07 UTC
You know, you can literally delete your entire install (not recommending because it kills your overview settings and saved fittings iirc) and the client will simply retrieve them as required. It'll take a few minutes to dl and install the basic client. After that there will be a slight delay on start up as the minimum required files are retrieved, a short delay upon first undocking to load the exterior station environment, grid models, and backgrounds, and an almost unnoticeable delay on first system change. But after that, its pretty much seamless.

To test all this I literally erased my entire Duality client and started from scratch. As soon as I got in game, I set my all my graphics settings to maximum, and then flew from Vale of the Silent in the north all the way to Stain. It works perfectly and is only noticeable at the very beginning when the client has to download things for the first time. Everything after the first jump gate worked just as it always has.

Personally, I feel that this is an excellent method of dealing with a slow internet connection. Why would you want to dl 13GB of data on a dial-up-speed connection? There should only ever be a delay the first time the client needs to fetch new data. After that, it has it and doesn't need to get it again. If you disagree, then the option is there to get everything just as before.

I imagine that when changes are made to the game, if you never use that content your client may never even need to download it.

If you already have a full install, you should not notice any changes. The launcher should update itself, shuffle some files around, retrieve the new client, and then be happy. In the future, you should almost never notice anything happening while playing, and expansion/update time should be radically reduced because you're no longer required to download hundreds of MB of files, until and unless you actually need them.

If you are starting up eve for the first time from a clean install and your very first act after this update is to set everything to maximum and undock from Jita 4-4 or Amarr at 22:00 GMT, no ****, you're gonna get a huge delay as the client retrieves all that data. But after that, it should never happen again for those models. My recommendation in that case is to undock in a noob ship, let the client retrieve everything, then go about your business. Otherwise, you shouldn't even notice anything has changed.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Celestia Via
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#84 - 2015-03-25 20:33:41 UTC
I have unacceptable game startup times (3-4minutes) since this feature was implemented. And before any smartass suggests to defragment my hardrive, dont.

Anyone else?

"We marched for days and nights, under sun, in the rain. Our minds and bodies ached for rest, but in our hearts there was nothing but the fight."

Shiva Darksun
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2015-03-25 22:26:41 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
I have unacceptable game startup times (3-4minutes) since this feature was implemented. And before any smartass suggests to defragment my hardrive, dont.

Anyone else?

Yes, me. And I have a SSD, defragmenting ain't even a thing. Yes, TRIM is enabled.
Also it looks like some game files were removed while patching, e.g. some item icons I already had loaded were missing and had to be re-downloaded (Mobile Depot, Mobile Tractor Unit and some BPOs so far).
Tony Prazol
Perkone
Caldari State
#86 - 2015-04-18 22:23:33 UTC
Ever since they implemented the download on demand feature my game has had serious stuttering issues and fps drops. Had no problems before the patch, even after downloading a ton of my thumbnails for items were gone, as well as my combat modules wouldnt display when they were active or inactive. Broken as hell.
I re-installed and it fixed the missing icons but the game is still stuttering badly in combat.
Also yes, I ticked the option to download all the files and it didn't make any change.
"Patch" was fail.
Jesho
Swedish Aerospace Inc
#87 - 2015-04-19 08:45:53 UTC
Tony Prazol wrote:
Ever since they implemented the download on demand feature my game has had serious stuttering issues and fps drops. Had no problems before the patch, even after downloading a ton of my thumbnails for items were gone, as well as my combat modules wouldnt display when they were active or inactive. Broken as hell.
I re-installed and it fixed the missing icons but the game is still stuttering badly in combat.
Also yes, I ticked the option to download all the files and it didn't make any change.
"Patch" was fail.
i bet antivirus programs might be an issue now with the shared resource cache.

any half-decent antivirus program will do scanning every time a program opens a file.
in the past we had several large files, now we have loads of many small files and it is reasonable to assume that the eve client will need to open a lot more files now than before, each causing antivirus program to scan the file before eve can access the file.

i wonder what would happen if those with performance problems adjusted their antivirus program temporarily to exclude the shared resource cache folder.
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#88 - 2015-04-19 09:16:17 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
telling the launcher to download everything does not help with the fps drops. We all already had everything in the cache anyway after the migration. So the checkbox wouldn't do anything anyway - its already downloaded. It must have something to do with the asset loading process itself when you land on grid.

Something is definitely wrong with the way the ressource loading is handled after this feature was implemented. I too have "download everything" ticked, but I still get massive stutter due to the load process when I land on busy grids, much more so than before the patch.

It feels like you've removed all and any form for pre-loading, and that now you only load assets when the clients need them. This will naturally create massive stutter in busy systems, especially for guys like me with the shared cache and EVE installation on a non-SSD disk (HDD).

Pre-loading is essential for performance. Really, it is.
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#89 - 2015-04-19 09:20:25 UTC
Soldarius wrote:
You know, you can literally delete your entire install (not recommending because it kills your overview settings and saved fittings iirc) and the client will simply retrieve them as required. It'll take a few minutes to dl and install the basic client. After that there will be a slight delay on start up as the minimum required files are retrieved, a short delay upon first undocking to load the exterior station environment, grid models, and backgrounds, and an almost unnoticeable delay on first system change. But after that, its pretty much seamless.

To test all this I literally erased my entire Duality client and started from scratch. As soon as I got in game, I set my all my graphics settings to maximum, and then flew from Vale of the Silent in the north all the way to Stain. It works perfectly and is only noticeable at the very beginning when the client has to download things for the first time. Everything after the first jump gate worked just as it always has.

Personally, I feel that this is an excellent method of dealing with a slow internet connection. Why would you want to dl 13GB of data on a dial-up-speed connection? There should only ever be a delay the first time the client needs to fetch new data. After that, it has it and doesn't need to get it again. If you disagree, then the option is there to get everything just as before.

I imagine that when changes are made to the game, if you never use that content your client may never even need to download it.

If you already have a full install, you should not notice any changes. The launcher should update itself, shuffle some files around, retrieve the new client, and then be happy. In the future, you should almost never notice anything happening while playing, and expansion/update time should be radically reduced because you're no longer required to download hundreds of MB of files, until and unless you actually need them.

If you are starting up eve for the first time from a clean install and your very first act after this update is to set everything to maximum and undock from Jita 4-4 or Amarr at 22:00 GMT, no ****, you're gonna get a huge delay as the client retrieves all that data. But after that, it should never happen again for those models. My recommendation in that case is to undock in a noob ship, let the client retrieve everything, then go about your business. Otherwise, you shouldn't even notice anything has changed.

A lot of shoulds in this post, also a lot of assuming that if it works perfectly for you, then it does so for everyone else as well. Too bad neither of these reflect our current reality.

My bet is that there is an ineffecient asset load protocol from disk→RAM, which causes people's stutter when loading assets, even though they have "download everything" ticked in the launcher.
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2015-04-25 22:18:48 UTC
Anyone else still wish we could opt out of this new "feature"?
Also i tried to find it but cant, can someone post link to where this new "feature" was EVER requested?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#91 - 2015-04-25 23:15:45 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Anyone else still wish we could opt out of this new "feature"?
Also i tried to find it but cant, can someone post link to where this new "feature" was EVER requested?

It's pretty much a requirement for High Resolution Textures. (so you can replace them, as needed.)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter