These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[April] Battlecruiser Warp Speed and Warp Rig Tweaks

First post First post
Author
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#261 - 2015-04-16 19:18:29 UTC
I'm bad at math... How many rigs you need to reach cruiser speed from a T1 BC with those numbers?
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#262 - 2015-04-16 19:29:18 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
I'm bad at math... How many rigs you need to reach cruiser speed from a T1 BC with those numbers?

1 of the spendy lowslots, or a t1 rig. Currently you get 3.0 au/s with a single t1 rig anyways. A WS-610 hardwiring gets you to 2.97au/s ( equivalent to a 3% hardwire), which is off by just a tiny fraction.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#263 - 2015-04-17 06:48:14 UTC
People should stop talking about modifications to the warp speed rigs as a solution to BSs and BCs. All they need to do is tweak them so that they don't benefit interceptors/frigates ridiculously more than Battleships as to essentially shift the meta even more in their favour.

Warp speed rigs are not a solution. If you make warp speed rigs so good that they "solve" the issue with BCs and BSs, then they essentially become a compulsory slot(s). In which case why not just apply the changes directly battleships and battlecruisers and nerf other stats?

Balancing battleships requires a revision of their role. Currently they're extremely niche and only effective in circumstances that are so favourable to the side that would field them most other ships could probably do just as nicely.
Cade Windstalker
#264 - 2015-04-18 00:56:06 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
People should stop talking about modifications to the warp speed rigs as a solution to BSs and BCs. All they need to do is tweak them so that they don't benefit interceptors/frigates ridiculously more than Battleships as to essentially shift the meta even more in their favour.

Warp speed rigs are not a solution. If you make warp speed rigs so good that they "solve" the issue with BCs and BSs, then they essentially become a compulsory slot(s). In which case why not just apply the changes directly battleships and battlecruisers and nerf other stats?

Balancing battleships requires a revision of their role. Currently they're extremely niche and only effective in circumstances that are so favourable to the side that would field them most other ships could probably do just as nicely.

I think the tweaks to warp rigs or even BC warp speed aren't meant to buff BCs and BSes back up to prominence. Really, from the stats we're seeing and the stuff the devs have said, I don't think BSes or BCs have really been brought down so much as everything else has been brought up.

For a long time BSes were the thing to bring because they brought an amazing combination of tank, damage, damage projection, and fitting versatility. Now T1 Cruisers are a tenth of the price of Battleships and are able to effectively engage them with numbers.

Honestly I think the game is healthier with Battleships and BCs not stomping all over everything. Players are more willing to PvP when the loss doesn't hurt so much and they know they won't get stomped on for bringing a cheaper ship. Given that I think it's more important to not have Battleships stomping all over everything (or any class stomping all over everything, really) than it is to bring back the reign of the Battleship in Eve PvP.
Delarian Rox
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#265 - 2015-04-18 06:42:57 UTC
Ocih wrote:

tl;dr - In Min/Max EVE the BC is a waste of minerals.

Not realy. Personaly i use them like havy tacking ships and more resilient ships for a FC in cruiser gangs. Of course they need some improvement, but i'm pretty sure that targeting range improvement (to a point where you can reach 100km lock range with only one rig) along with this warp speed change is enough to bring them to a very good position. And you always can buff their role of a cheap booster by just reducing time needed to learn t2 links.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#266 - 2015-04-18 06:58:31 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
...Honestly I think the game is healthier with Battleships and BCs not stomping all over everything. Players are more willing to PvP when the loss doesn't hurt so much and they know they won't get stomped on for bringing a cheaper ship. Given that I think it's more important to not have Battleships stomping all over everything (or any class stomping all over everything, really) than it is to bring back the reign of the Battleship in Eve PvP.

I believe you mean well but when you do go to the tradehubs and your mood feels like flying a battleship and you go and see the pricetag on a bare hull and insurace and fitting and lookt at you wallet again when you are about to undock, you may have a certain expectation of what you got.
Only to discover a few minutes later that your 300-400m in meta and tech 2 fittings just got you yolo-rofl-stomped over by an ishtar and some Navy Omens which you didn't even get a target lock on to begin with.

I also don't believe that warping around in my Brutix a few seconds less than before doesn't help that 5 firgates yolo-kite that Brutix into an explosion in 2 minutes or one svipul in 1 under gate-gun fire.

Look at it this way, that Brutix did cost 45m without fitting and a Thorax costs 10m without fitting but for 30m more isk I get 20% of the performance of that Thorax.

Is it too much to ask that I can fight 5 ishtars under gategun fire and may last long enough to bring down 3 of them?

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Cade Windstalker
#267 - 2015-04-18 07:09:20 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Is it too much to ask that I can fight 5 ishtars under gategun fire and may last long enough to bring down 3 of them?

Yes, for one each of those Ishtars costs as much as your BS hull and they outnumber you, and numbers trump pretty much everything in Eve.

elitatwo wrote:
I believe you mean well but when you do go to the tradehubs and your mood feels like flying a battleship and you go and see the pricetag on a bare hull and insurace and fitting and lookt at you wallet again when you are about to undock, you may have a certain expectation of what you got.
Only to discover a few minutes later that your 300-400m in meta and tech 2 fittings just got you yolo-rofl-stomped over by an ishtar and some Navy Omens which you didn't even get a target lock on to begin with.

I also don't believe that warping around in my Brutix a few seconds less than before doesn't help that 5 firgates yolo-kite that Brutix into an explosion in 2 minutes or one svipul in 1 under gate-gun fire.

Look at it this way, that Brutix did cost 45m without fitting and a Thorax costs 10m without fitting but for 30m more isk I get 20% of the performance of that Thorax.

Eve has always been a game of specialization and linear increases in power for exponential increases in cost more or less since its inception. The exception is where specialization comes in and trumps this in some way. In the past when this hasn't been the case CCP have (eventually) stepped in and corrected things.

Battleships have never been flat better than a well fitted HAC because the HAC had more flexibility, and this has been the case for about 8 years now.

The exception to this rule used to be Null fleet fights, but that's been shifting steadily over the last six or so years, ever since the original Sig-tanked A-HAC gangs. Nothing matches a Battleship for raw DPS but it's unrealistic and not in keeping with Eve's base principals that a single Battleship should be able to even remotely take on 5 Ishtars. Realistically it shouldn't be able to take on two without massive difficulty on the part of the pilot and more than a few big mistakes on the part of the Ishtars.

I certainly agree there's room for improvement in the Battleship class at present to allow them to better deal with Cruiser sized targets, but that shouldn't mean a Battleship hull can kill its hull cost in T1 Cruiser hulls.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#268 - 2015-04-18 10:54:49 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Eve has always been a game of specialization and linear increases in power for exponential increases in cost more or less since its inception. The exception is where specialization comes in and trumps this in some way. In the past when this hasn't been the case CCP have (eventually) stepped in and corrected things.

Stop repeating what others have said already, it is insulting and doesn't answer my question. I only need to read things once to have it inscripted in my mind.

Cade Windstalker wrote:

Battleships have never been flat better than a well fitted HAC because the HAC had more flexibility, and this has been the case for about 8 years now.

That is what you have been saying 10 times in two days, care you learn a new sentence? I didn't.

Since it is public record now, you can go ahead and read it again, sometimes our primitive human minds play tricks on us and we only read what we want to read instead of what is written.

Cade Windstalker wrote:
The exception to this rule used to be Null fleet fights, but that's been shifting steadily over the last six or so years, ever since the original Sig-tanked A-HAC gangs. Nothing matches a Battleship for raw DPS but it's unrealistic and not in keeping with Eve's base principals that a single Battleship should be able to even remotely take on 5 Ishtars. Realistically it shouldn't be able to take on two without massive difficulty on the part of the pilot and more than a few big mistakes on the part of the Ishtars..

I almost care what some lawyers do in drama-sec or better, well actually I don't. And I D I S A G R E E.

Ocih
Space Mermaids
#269 - 2015-04-18 13:45:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Ocih
Delarian Rox wrote:
Ocih wrote:

Not realy. Personaly i use them like havy tacking ships and more resilient ships for a FC in cruiser gangs. Of course they need some improvement, but i'm pretty sure that targeting range improvement (to a point where you can reach 100km lock range with only one rig) along with this warp speed change is enough to bring them to a very good position. And you always can buff their role of a cheap booster by just reducing time needed to learn t2 links.

Not really but pretty much the same thing I said?

Ocih wrote:

Something I see people say a lot. "Cost shouldn't dictate the effectiveness of the ship in a linear fashion. That's all fine, I won't bother debating it but BattleCruiser is an example of cost over run with disproportionate benefit. 100% bonus for 600% the cost. They can't very well give a Prophecy 6 times the tank of a Vexor but don't act surprised when people just build 6 Vexors instead of one Prophecy.

You use it in situations where cruisers outnumber BC 6:1 or more.

And don't get me wrong, I really don't care what they do. I've been nerf bat proof for years. Most of us are, it's why the the nerf bat fails to get results. We have trained out all the racial hulls and weapons platforms. Nerf this, buff that. It's all a dog ******* a football.
Atreides 47
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#270 - 2015-04-19 11:11:42 UTC
Sir Livingston wrote:
battlecruiser usage must be low

Because they are really damn slow and battleships moving like slowpokes its almost unbearable, all except Machariel, it have good bonus.

Long Live the Fighters !

CCP and nerfs - http://i.imgur.com/MejTGfL.jpg

Alia Ravenswing
DARK HAT
#271 - 2015-04-19 17:54:30 UTC
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Can you also boost their agility and speed?
Tornado/ naga fleet?

Not possible any more because of bombers and interceptors.
Those where very fun fleets.

Ability to counter bombs on those hulls can help bringing them back.
Can we get some decent anti bomber/ bomb weapon? Roll

Many fleet fights are won/lost depending on who first made good bomb run.

There already are. Medium Autocannons. There is a reason that bombers don't attack BC's
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#272 - 2015-04-19 17:56:10 UTC
Alia Ravenswing wrote:
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Tornado/ naga fleet?

There already are. Medium Autocannons. There is a reason that bombers don't attack BC's

And because finding enough BCs to be worth blopsing is hard.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Cade Windstalker
#273 - 2015-04-19 18:05:14 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Stop repeating what others have said already, it is insulting and doesn't answer my question. I only need to read things once to have it inscripted in my mind.

Well, it certainly didn't seem like you understood this from what you were saying.

elitatwo wrote:
I almost care what some lawyers do in drama-sec or better, well actually I don't. And I D I S A G R E E.

You can disagree all you want. If your idea of Battleship balance is Battleship > 5 HACs you're going to be nothing but disappointed with anything CCP do.
abrasive soap
Gape Deep Core Mining
#274 - 2015-04-19 18:05:19 UTC  |  Edited by: abrasive soap
James Baboli wrote:
Alia Ravenswing wrote:
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Tornado/ naga fleet?

And because finding enough BCs to be worth blopsing is hard.

Yeah I think this has to do more with a lack of BC's rather than BC's being scary... I am certain that torps have better range than medium ac's and that sb's can run circles around BC's including the hurricane

BC's and BS's: when nerfing goes too far

If they nerfed the damage output like they did and kept them as being fairly fast, maybe that would've been okay

If they merged the speed like they did and kept them doing respectable damage, maybe that would've been okay

Instead they did both things and we now have crappy 6 launcher drakes, 6 turret harbingers, 6 turret brutixes, etc. Not only is their damage weak compared to not just hac's but even t1 cruisers, they are unusably slow
Cade Windstalker
#275 - 2015-04-19 18:24:20 UTC
abrasive soap wrote:
Yeah I think this has to do more with a lack of BC's rather than BC's being scary... I am certain that torps have better range than medium ac's and that sb's can run circles around BC's including the hurricane

If they nerfed the damage output like they did and kept them as being fairly fast, maybe that would've been okay

If they merged the speed like they did and kept them doing respectable damage, maybe that would've been okay

Instead they did both things and we now have crappy 6 launcher drakes, 6 turret harbingers, 6 turret brutixes, etc. Not only is their damage weak compared to not just hac's but even t1 cruisers, they are unusably slow

A SB can only run circles around it if the SB drops its bomb and runs off. If you're fighting anything other than a completely homogeneous BC fleet you can't get under the tracking of long-range guns and stay outside the range of ACs. The point where ACs pretty much stop blowing your ship out from under you is pretty much the point where Railguns start, and if you're making a bombing run it's a moot point because you're dropping at ~30km anyways, which is in range of both.

Really, the BC nerf was entirely justified. They were stupidly good for the cost and they were still used and useful after the nerf, just not nearly to the extent that they used to be (because that was broken). Also the BC nerf included precisely zero changes to their speed and only tiny changes to align time and mass.

BCs still easily out-damage T1 Cruisers too, it's just that the T1 Cruiser is way faster. If the BC could catch the Cruiser then they'd simply trump cruisers flat out.

At the end of the day it hasn't really been nerfs that have done in BS and BC class ships in PvP, it's been successive and small buffs to other ship classes.
abrasive soap
Gape Deep Core Mining
#276 - 2015-04-19 18:57:56 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
abrasive soap wrote:

A SB can only run circles around it if the SB drops its bomb and runs off. If you're fighting anything other than a completely homogeneous BC fleet you can't get under the tracking of long-range guns and stay outside the range of ACs. The point where ACs pretty much stop blowing your ship out from under you is pretty much the point where Railguns start, and if you're making a bombing run it's a moot point because you're dropping at ~30km anyways, which is in range of both.

Really, the BC nerf was entirely justified. They were stupidly good for the cost and they were still used and useful after the nerf, just not nearly to the extent that they used to be (because that was broken). Also the BC nerf included precisely zero changes to their speed and only tiny changes to align time and mass.

BCs still easily out-damage T1 Cruisers too, it's just that the T1 Cruiser is way faster. If the BC could catch the Cruiser then they'd simply trump cruisers flat out.

At the end of the day it hasn't really been nerfs that have done in BS and BC class ships in PvP, it's been successive and small buffs to other ship classes.

Your hypothetical mixed range BC fleet doesn't make sense because a. No one flies bc's and b. What kind of fleet would have people using railguns and autocannons on their backbone ships

There are numerous bc's that are straight outdamaged by the Vexor for example

And adding mass is basically a speed nerf

They are garbage now and making it seem as if they have some niche is ridiculous, a HAC would be better in literally any situation. It used to be that BC's were the cheap option but with the change in insurance and the survivability of BC's being nil, I don't think that is the case anymore. A hac might be more expensive in simple terms, but the insurance changes brought them in line to a degree and you also are much less likely to get stuck and die because of poor mobility
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#277 - 2015-04-19 19:26:20 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
You can disagree all you want. If your idea of Battleship balance is Battleship > 5 HACs you're going to be nothing but disappointed with anything CCP do.

And yet, I didn't say that.

Cade Windstalker
#278 - 2015-04-19 19:37:15 UTC
abrasive soap wrote:
Your hypothetical mixed range BC fleet doesn't make sense because a. No one flies bc's and b. What kind of fleet would have people using railguns and autocannons on their backbone ships

They are garbage now and making it seem as if they have some niche is ridiculous, a HAC would be better in literally any situation. It used to be that BC's were the cheap option but with the change in insurance and the survivability of BC's being nil, I don't think that is the case anymore. A hac might be more expensive in simple terms, but the insurance changes brought them in line to a degree and you also are much less likely to get stuck and die because of poor mobility

We're discussing the balance between BCs and Cruisers, saying "well no one uses BCs" isn't a counter argument.

As to B, how about some hypothetical BC roam. Small gang and what-not, since null doctrines tend to run whatever scales best with number of players, cost, and various other factors which are rarely constant.

The Vexor also, in theory, out-damages every other T1 Cruiser, but can have its drones popped as well as needing to fit basically no tank for all that gank.

Adding mass is not a speed nerf, this is not how the speed mechanics work, it adjusts align time and acceleration but not overall speed. The changes in this case were *tiny* and generally offset by changes to agility, meaning in many cases the align time remained the same, the only thing that changed was performance with prop mods, which generally increased since with a prop mod agility matters more than base mass value.

I'm pointing out the advantages BCs have over T1 Cruisers, not HACs, and I'm not arguing that they have some major niche that isn't currently better filled by another ship for one reason or another, I'm just saying that in a straight fight they do have some advantages over a T1 Cruiser. HACs are generally 3-4 times more expensive for the base hull, are T2 combat focused ships, and require way better skills to fit and fly effectively than a T1 BC.

It's not even like these hulls aren't being used at all anywhere in Eve. Just check the stats on ZKillboard versus the various HACs. There are actually more people going out and getting popped in BCs than HACs, but T1 Cruisers beat both of them soundly. (I'd link you, but that's against forum rules)
Cade Windstalker
#279 - 2015-04-19 19:38:42 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:

And yet, I didn't say that.

Then I have no idea what you meant by "And I D I S A G R E E."

Soooo not my fault if you don't want to actually try and get your point across or communicate effectively.
abrasive soap
Gape Deep Core Mining
#280 - 2015-04-19 20:05:46 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
abrasive soap wrote:

We're discussing the balance between BCs and Cruisers, saying "well no one uses BCs" isn't a counter argument.

As to B, how about some hypothetical BC roam. Small gang and what-not, since null doctrines tend to run whatever scales best with number of players, cost, and various other factors which are rarely constant.

The Vexor also, in theory, out-damages every other T1 Cruiser, but can have its drones popped as well as needing to fit basically no tank for all that gank.

Adding mass is not a speed nerf, this is not how the speed mechanics work, it adjusts align time and acceleration but not overall speed. The changes in this case were *tiny* and generally offset by changes to agility, meaning in many cases the align time remained the same, the only thing that changed was performance with prop mods, which generally increased since with a prop mod agility matters more than base mass value.

I'm pointing out the advantages BCs have over T1 Cruisers, not HACs, and I'm not arguing that they have some major niche that isn't currently better filled by another ship for one reason or another, I'm just saying that in a straight fight they do have some advantages over a T1 Cruiser. HACs are generally 3-4 times more expensive for the base hull, are T2 combat focused ships, and require way better skills to fit and fly effectively than a T1 BC.

It's not even like these hulls aren't being used at all anywhere in Eve. Just check the stats on ZKillboard versus the various HACs. There are actually more people going out and getting popped in BCs than HACs, but T1 Cruisers beat both of them soundly. (I'd link you, but that's against forum rules)

This does 713 DPS, does it look like tank is sacrificed?

[Vexor, Vexor1]
Damage Control II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 150

Heavy Electron Blaster II, Void M

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Ogre II x2Hammerhead II x2Hobgoblin II x1

This does maybe 10 more DPS, probably not even that since it is with rage HAM's which never do full damage and plus basically no one would fit that HAM launcher over a small neut
[Hurricane, Hurricane 220]
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

Stasis Webifier II
Warp Disruptor II
Warp Scrambler II

220mm Vulcan AutoCannon II, Hail M
Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Inferno Rage Heavy Assault Missile

Hobgoblin II x5

This is doing 689 DPS but you do gain the medium neut (questionable usability because the harb is extremely cap hungry)[Harbinger, Harbinger focused]
Damage Control II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Adaptive Nano Plating II

Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Medium Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

Focused Medium Pulse Laser II, Conflagration M
Medium Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Hammerhead II x5Acolyte II x5

656 DPS but again this is using rage HAM's which do not do full damage basically ever (the turret t2 DPS ammo seems to be better in general and almost usable outside of benchmark comparisons)
[Drake, Drake]
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

10MN Microwarpdrive II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Scourge Rage Heavy Assault Missile