These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Does CCP advertise EVE Online anywhere?

Author
Rastafarian God
#21 - 2015-04-16 05:30:13 UTC
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
a simple googling of "the largest online battle" reveals the real advertisements.

Problem is that you have to google that. Proper marketing is forced upon you.

Dun'Gal
Myriad Contractors Inc.
#22 - 2015-04-16 06:06:22 UTC
I guess as one of the few people on the internets who doesn't use an adblocker I may be in the minority here, but I see ads for Eve all over, in fact I was introduced to Eve via the "Be a Pirate" Eve Online ad.
Rastafarian God
#23 - 2015-04-16 06:14:12 UTC
Dun'Gal wrote:
I guess as one of the few people on the internets who doesn't use an adblocker I may be in the minority here, but I see ads for Eve all over, in fact I was introduced to Eve via the "Be a Pirate" Eve Online ad.

To be fair... you have to be someone that doesn't use ad block to know for sure.

Although, there any TV ads?
Yun Kuai
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2015-04-16 08:34:09 UTC
Rastafarian God wrote:
Dun'Gal wrote:

To be fair... you have to be someone that doesn't use ad block to know for sure.

Although, there any TV ads?

I started playing at the end of '08. I remember sitting in my apartment eating some ice cream watching G4 when the advertisement came on. It was a pretty quick advertisement, and **** me I didn't have a pen to write down the name of the game. As you can imagine, I watched G4 for the next few days straight wating for that advertisement to come back on. Success! It came on again (******* late I might add) and I was ready with pen and paper.

So yeah, their TV ads did a good job if you can imagine 30secs got me wanting to see the ad again so I can go play the game. Granted, I never saw another advertisement again and like others I haven't seen an ad on the interwebs in a long time.

The "This is EvE" clip would make a perfect 30sec-1min ad. Place it on the syfy network and boom you're getting hundreds of people playing.

--------------------------------------------------------::::::::::::--:::-----:::---::::::::::::--------------:::----------:::----:::---:::----------------------:::::::-------:::---:::----::::::-------------------:::-----------:::--:::----:::---------------------::::::::::::----:::::::----:::::::::::::-------

Ro Fenrios
Armilies Corporation
Domain Research and Mining Inst.
#25 - 2015-04-16 14:47:22 UTC
Have not seen eve advertizing itself much. First time I learned about it was from a gaming magazine that had article about the complexity and player driven content in the game. That struck my curiosity back then. On silly note though, I work in online retail store and we do have several shops around. We have Eve trailer running in gaming section on big screen among other game trailers even when we do not sell EVE online.
Oraac Ensor
#26 - 2015-04-16 15:34:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Online adverts were how I discovered EVE.

Everywhere I went on the Web I kept seeing EVE ads, but I was a Homeworld 2 Complex Mod addict at the time so I didn't at first take much notice. Curiosity eventually got the better of me and I started to read up bits and pieces until I finally plucked up the courage to dive in.

[Edit] But, strangely, I don't remember seeing many ads since joining. A bit odd, that.
Luna Arindale
Caldari Independent Navy Reserve
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#27 - 2015-04-16 15:46:30 UTC
I think I hear about it my last year of middle school from a friend during a discussion of the biggest online scams, attempted to play it... Failed miserably because it auto set the graphics to highest and my computer at that time was not able to handle that, fast forward to like 2010, 2011 Got into another trial account or two, because of minecraft buddies. Trials ran out, fast forward to December 2012 actually got into eve. However I only ever got ads for eve and still get ads after I have already been subscribed for over 2 years on pretty much every website I go to. I half scream at the ads, I already spend money on this game! I don't want to spend more damnit!
Nalia White
Tencus
#28 - 2015-04-16 16:03:26 UTC
Rastafarian God wrote:
I used to see Banner ads for it AFTER i started playing. Never before. I cant recall ever seeing an EVE advertisement since then other then on there own sites and social media accounts.

If I knew about eve when it came out, I would have played it from the start but it took 6 years of the game existing to where I finally heard about it in an Off Topic post on a car forum I used to frequent. Word of mouth is why I'm here.

Ive always thought there marketing was a little sub par, but I run ad block on everything other then my phone now so.

my experience also. actualy i remember when rubicon hit i was always seeing banners on youtube for eve and i think even the trailer as an ad for a clicked video.

also all the eve banners on killboard sites Roll

Syndicate - K5-JRD

Home to few, graveyard for many

My biggest achievement

Mdram
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2015-04-16 16:11:13 UTC
used to have tv ads on during BSG on sci-fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QImCw7WHOc
Jenshae Chiroptera
#30 - 2015-04-16 16:11:55 UTC
Better question:

Does EVE target market? e.g. Universities, Linux people and such where they will find people who want a more challenging game.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

darmwand
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#31 - 2015-04-16 16:49:10 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Linux people

Targeting Linux people with a Windows game would appear to be a bit silly.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2015-04-16 18:05:10 UTC
Recognized EvE first time in the comparison threads of E:D and SC forums 2 years ago. But I was not frequenting forums of other games before that, and I don't remember any catching ad in Steam or elsewhere.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Jenshae Chiroptera
#33 - 2015-04-16 18:13:53 UTC
darmwand wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Linux people
Targeting Linux people with a Windows game would appear to be a bit silly.
EVE ran on Linux, it still does okay with some work arounds. I have run it a lot of Ubuntu 14 and it could be ported into the Ubuntu Software Centre, which would be constant advertising for EVE and reinforce Linux as a gaming operating system.

Valve ports Windows-based games to the Linux platform

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Mr RiXter
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-04-16 18:14:37 UTC
Rastafarian God wrote:
A friend of mine recently switched over to steam for EVE. (not sure how that works though)

Only reason he did it was for the automatic updates so he doesnt have to wait for the game to update when he goes to log in.

Only benifate I can think of.

Sorry to break it to your friend but steam updates the eve client once in a blue moon. He'll still have to update the client through the launcher.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#35 - 2015-04-16 18:26:42 UTC
i see eve ad's all over the place. the issue is, i see them due to cookies and google ads going 'oh he checked the eve website, lets him more eve ad's'

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#36 - 2015-04-16 19:26:06 UTC  |  Edited by: BoBoZoBo
I would say CCP does a horrible, terrible job at advertising, but I am not sure they are even trying. Seems like they are completely content on wasting money on web banner ads on long time players.

It is really a shame, the IP and Story is so strong and the recent videos are some of the most epic anywhere in gaming. it would be hard to mess up a campaign.

EVE could really use it.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

Juan Diolosa
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2015-04-16 20:20:19 UTC
This is all I saw in the entire thread.
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

1983 Camaro

Z28 w/305 and 4-speed manual tranny, plox thx bai.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#38 - 2015-04-17 05:45:42 UTC
Rastafarian God wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
a simple googling of "the largest online battle" reveals the real advertisements.

Problem is that you have to google that. Proper marketing is forced upon you.

and imo is usually ineffective for that reason.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Ocih
Space Mermaids
#39 - 2015-04-17 06:22:44 UTC
I see banners for EVE all the time. As well as several other games I already play.
Escobar Sr
Gang Bang You're Dead
Wrecktical Supremacy.
#40 - 2015-04-17 07:41:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Escobar Sr
Saw "The Butterfly effect" trailer on Steam and didn't pay much attention, but when "This is EvE" hit me, I just started playing EvE like a madman!