These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wardec matters once again

First post First post
Author
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#321 - 2015-04-08 20:44:46 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

There are entire pages of my thoughts on the matter in this very thread.

And still you bring out the tired old "you just want to force people to PvP!" nonsense.

Then condense them here as they are obscured by the anti PvE rhetoric. Then we can actually discuss the ideas constructively.

You stated that you want killrights against anyone who leaves a corp during a wardec. The leaves them two options, log out for the week or engage in PvP.

Quote:

As the direct quote from CCP Rise that you so kindly provided points out all aspects of EvE are required for a healthy game, not just PvP. Simply because you don't like them for not liking PvP is not a valid reason to force them to partake in it.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

And you seem to have missed the first part of that quote, and the reason why I linked it.

The people who don't want to fight are not relevant. "griefing" does not have an impact of player retention, according to CCP themselves.

The people who don't want to fight pay subs just the same as those who do, they are equally relevant. I also never mentioned griefing once in the entire thread as far as I can remember.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Actually, it's akin to forcing us to shoot red crosses to grind back security status points.

I thought they introduced tags you can buy to fix that?

Which none of you have any problem with, as we've been over before. You have no problem forcing people to do odious PvE content, but you damn sure better not to have to do even the slightest thing outside your wishes, oh hell no. Hypocrisy in its purest form.
[/quote]
I thought they introduced tags you can buy to fix that? Oh and I don't force anyone to do anything, I let people get on with their game whilst i get on with mine.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Still haven't been paying attention. I've offered a wide variety of economic incentives for being in a player corp and dealing with wars. But in the end, it just doesn't matter. If they don't want to do anything different and they're standing in the way of improving the mechanic, they will be swept aside just like the ISBoxers.

It's time that highsec gets an attitude adjustment, whether some people want to follow or not.

You have offered no fun reason for people to engage in wars. You also haven't offered incentives at all but requested heavy nerfs to NPC to force people to use POS for any reasonable profit. As for standing in the way of improving the mechanic nobody is doing so , people are actually mostly asking for it to be improved.

Attitude adjustment - thanks for the chuckle.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#322 - 2015-04-08 20:57:15 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:

Then condense them here as they are obscured by the anti PvE rhetoric.

You stated that you want killrights against anyone who leaves a corp during a wardec. The leaves them two options, log out for the week or engage in PvP.

Nope. The third option is to just play the game. I used to mission in a faction battleship under a wardec all the time, and I have yet to lose that Navy Apoc.

It can be done, it just requires playing the game with your whole ass.

Quote:

The people who don't want to fight pay subs just the same as those who do, they are equally relevant. I also never mentioned griefing once in the entire thread as far as I can remember.

The post you quoted was directed at Nevyn anyway, who always cringes in a corner screaming "griefing!" whenever anyone suggests that conflict be buffed in highsec in any way.

Quote:

I thought they introduced tags you can buy to fix that?

*facepalm*

Do you know how you get the tags? You don't just buy them up from nowhere, you realize.

Quote:

You have offered no fun reason for people to engage in wars.

Well, PvP itself is fun, obviously. That's not up for debate, either, considering that we know that people exposed to PvP early on in their game time have a vastly better retention rate.

And, as mentioned, their access to various content would be vastly improved by their decision to accept more risk in their gameplay.

Quote:

You also haven't offered incentives at all but requested heavy nerfs to NPC to force people to use POS for any reasonable profit.

Yeah, you know, that group play and social dynamic that Rise told us is so important? And yes, that comes at the expense of the mechanic that has heretofore been enabling anti social and solo play. Sucks to be them, but then we already knew that.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#323 - 2015-04-08 21:28:53 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Nope. The third option is to just play the game. I used to mission in a faction battleship under a wardec all the time, and I have yet to lose that Navy Apoc.

As long as you only PvP of course

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

The post you quoted was directed at Nevyn anyway, who always cringes in a corner screaming "griefing!" whenever anyone suggests that conflict be buffed in highsec in any way.

I missed that it was directed elsewhere but the point is the same, every who pays has as much right to pay the game how they see fit.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

*facepalm*

Do you know how you get the tags? You don't just buy them up from nowhere, you realize.

Do it harder :D

I know where the tags come from but can't you also buy them by simply engaging with the market? I've seen gankers complaining about the cost of them before so thought they must be available to simply purchase.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Well, PvP itself is fun, obviously. That's not up for debate, either, considering that we know that people exposed to PvP early on in their game time have a vastly better retention rate.

And, as mentioned, their access to various content would be vastly improved by their decision to accept more risk in their gameplay.

PvP is fun if you enjoy it. Many players do not. you cannot tell anyone else what is and isn't their fun. It is entirely subjective. I was exposed to PvP within 3 days of joining by going on a roam. Bored me shitless so I learnt every other aspect of the game available to me. I'm pretty sure I engage in more aspects of the game than many players and yet I never shoot anyone else either. I compete with them, co-operate with them, chat with them and race them, much of what I do is PvP in nature but not that much is PvP combat and when it is it is me avoiding it with the approproiate ship, fit and tactics.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Yeah, you know, that group play and social dynamic that Rise told us is so important? And yes, that comes at the expense of the mechanic that has heretofore been enabling anti social and solo play. Sucks to be them, but then we already knew that.

Some people like the challenge of playing solo, some people are anti-socail because they've been burnt before by awoxing, scamming, being tricked into a gank etc etc. This again falls under not being able to tell others how they play in a sandbox. You can affect them with your game but you cannot force them to play in any way other than they choose. how can it 'suck to be them' if they are enjoying what they do?
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#324 - 2015-04-08 21:54:18 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
considering that we know that people exposed to PvP early on in their game time have a vastly better retention rate.

Citation required.

you cannot tell anyone else what is and isn't their fun. It is entirely subjective.

Oh but he's not only convinced he has the right, he's utterly sold he can dictate to people what "fun" is.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#325 - 2015-04-08 22:40:23 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

As long as you only PvP of course

This the part where I accuse you yet again of ignoring me.

No, you don't have to PvP during a wardec, as I just said. I missioned with a faction battleship, meaning a big old target, and I got it done without getting myself killed.

None of you actually want to discuss this, you just want to march on with your narrative as though it hasn't been proved completely false already. Apparently there is nothing wrong with wardecs being totally voluntary, because PvP existing is "griefing" to the small minority of people who insist on playing an MMO incorrectly. And we should absolutely let those people hold the development of the game hostage, too.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Madd Adda
#326 - 2015-04-08 22:43:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Madd Adda
why are we still arguing with Kaarous? he's as bias to his way of play as we are to ours. There will always be problems in EVE, nothing will change if we're forced to war. At best people will try to war while others will just log off for a week/ start another character. Nothing Kaarous says can make a player play his way, nor is it a sure fire way to increase player retention, regardless of what CCP says.

Carebear extraordinaire

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#327 - 2015-04-08 22:47:31 UTC
Madd Adda wrote:
why are we still arguing with Kaarous? he's as bias to his way of play as we are to ours. There will always be problems in EVE, nothing will change if we're forced to war. At best people will try to war while others will just log off for a week/ start another character. Nothing Kaarous says can make a player play his way, nor is it a sure fire way to increase player retention, regardless of what CCP says.

H.o.l.y. H.e.l.l.

The same, tired, old, incessant strawman.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Madd Adda
#328 - 2015-04-08 22:48:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Madd Adda
Here's a lesser idea: how about when war is declared, future WTs in local have a yellow star (by default) indicating that they are a future WT. Of course the color will go red at the time of war start (or more charitably on session change)

this isn't the most useful thing, given we can just mass add to watchlists/contacts but not everyone uses it (like newbs)

Carebear extraordinaire

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#329 - 2015-04-08 22:50:58 UTC
Madd Adda wrote:
He's as bias to his way of play as we are to ours.

My only bias is towards balance, nothing more, nothing less. I'm as often shooting down stupid ideas from "gankers™" as I do from "carebears™".
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#330 - 2015-04-08 22:52:34 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Madd Adda wrote:
He's as bias to his way of play as we are to ours.

My only bias is towards balance, nothing more, nothing less. I'm as often shooting down stupid ideas from "gankers™" as I do from "carebears™".

Your post history disagrees with that assessment. I'd venture to say that you don't give a Fedo for balance.

Best Meltdown Ever.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#331 - 2015-04-08 22:56:53 UTC
Only because I've been contending with you in this one, and your spamming the **** out of it with utter lies (exploit eh?), mis-truths (indy corps are "poison") and general failure to comprehend basic statistical analysis as well as completely disregarding any points which dare to question your narrative.

I spent every post in the observatory arrays attacking carebearing, but of course you will ignore this, as you've ignored everything which doesn't suit.

It is like arguing with a child whose only recourse is "NO U!!!!"
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#332 - 2015-04-08 23:04:15 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

This the part where I accuse you yet again of ignoring me.

No, you don't have to PvP during a wardec, as I just said. I missioned with a faction battleship, meaning a big old target, and I got it done without getting myself killed.

Which is PvP as you deny your war targets/aggressors kills by playing in such a way as to avoid them.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

None of you actually want to discuss this, you just want to march on with your narrative as though it hasn't been proved completely false already. Apparently there is nothing wrong with wardecs being totally voluntary, because PvP existing is "griefing" to the small minority of people who insist on playing an MMO incorrectly. And we should absolutely let those people hold the development of the game hostage, too.

This is where i point out that you are clearly ignoring the several suggestions I've made to at least attempt to get the topic back on track discussing *how* to try to get those people involved in wardecs who would normally not want to. Those that do not want to will always avoid it so you have to aim to get the small percentage who will try something new to give it a go. Most people *are* asking for some development on the whole wardec system rather than its removal.

Also you can't play a sandbox 'incorrectly', you can play it your own way and not someone elses. Your way may align with others way of playing but they cannot force you into that playstyle.

I'm still waiting on that breakdown of the stat(singular) you keep quoting to show all the reasons people do and don't quit, do and don't PvP/PvE etc etc. Please do post it as soon as you get chance as I'd love to see them.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#333 - 2015-04-09 00:15:46 UTC
afkalt wrote:

Absolutely - but equally complaining that wardecs are not the panacea to any and all highsec conflict is equally foolish.

This is an exaggeration of mine and kaarous points.

The core premise is simply: If you get benefits of a player corp, you must be vulnerable to war decs, not shed them like flakes of skin.

Getting around this in such a way that you benefit from player corps and are not vulnerable to decs is as much a circumvention of intended mechanics as gankers avoiding concord.

Several members of CCP have expressed that war decs are not strict enough, and there was even a period where avoiding decs and rejoining corps after decs was considered an exploit (later pulled back because it was considered counter intuitive to corp interface, NOT because it was deemed hunky-dory Donna. As far as where CCP stands, i agree with them, not them disagreeing with me)

I dont agree with kaarous on everything, but wardecs are intended to be an option to violence the space ships of other players in corps. The fact that there are other ways of PvP'ing (market etc) allowing us a choice on how we PvP other player corps is nice, but the denial of direct PvP against those that are meant to be vulnerable to this exact type of PvP is **** for gameplay and contradictory to core mechanics.

I dont mind a player dropping corp (because they forgo all benefits), i just dont want a player corp hopping.

The argument that some people dont like PvP and we cant force them to PvP is mute when entering a player corp, and thus war dec vulnerability, is entirely optional. Not to mention this entire game is PvP centric, and no one forces PvP averse players into subscribing.

Everyone, in every dec ever, signed up for the risk of getting shot at. That is an absolute fact.

I missed that it was directed elsewhere but the point is the same, every who pays has as much right to pay the game how they see fit.

every who pays has as much privilege to play the game how CCP make it for them.

That is to say, if they want they can pay a subscription for what the the creators call 'A PVP game at its core'

I think this is an important difference to your words.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#334 - 2015-04-09 00:23:42 UTC
Those that do not want to will always avoid it so you have to aim to get the small percentage who will try something new to give it a go.

And that won't happen as long as it's toothless. The sole reason for it to remain toothless like it is right now is for the benefit of the same bloated carebears who are abusing it right now to get the benefit of NPC corps and PC corps at the same time, the same people whose playstyle, and demanding that the game revolve around it, is killing the game.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#335 - 2015-04-09 00:40:25 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Those that do not want to will always avoid it so you have to aim to get the small percentage who will try something new to give it a go.

And that won't happen as long as it's toothless. The sole reason for it to remain toothless like it is right now is for the benefit of the same bloated carebears who are abusing it right now to get the benefit of NPC corps and PC corps at the same time, the same people whose playstyle, and demanding that the game revolve around it, is killing the game.

Your game. Killing your game. Don't lump together your and the rest of the playerbases ways of playing.

That being said, I would support some more effecive wardec mechanisms under a few circumstances.

1: It doesn't cause major collateral problems for people who might be completely not effected by the war otherwise.

Say I'm a nullsec dweller who never leaves null, in a nullsec alliance under wardec and I move to another corp in a different alliance. If a proposed wardec change prevents me from leaving my first corp, or prevents me from joining another corp for an extended period of time once I do, then that's a problem. However the system works, it should not impose harsh penalties on peoples normal movement from corp to corp.

Leaving a failing corp to join another corp should not be penalized. People who are unhappy with the game and their corp, but (For example) are not allowed to join another corp for a week or more are highly likely to just quit.

2: Wardecs cannot be to contagious.

If a character drops corp to noobcorp, they should be able to escape a wardec. Most people agree on this part. But if we make it so any corp they then join inherits their previous war, large groups like BNI or TEST with high character turnover would probably be inhereting a dozen surprise wardecs every day. And anyone who leaves them would then carry said dozens of wardecs to their new home.

Recruiting would seriously get a kick in the nuts if accepting a new recruit who came from a recently wardecced corp would bring with it many wardecs.

And to avoid this, people would need to have a near mandatory quarantine period between corp changes. This is a bad idea.

What possible mechanics could give the wardec system a bit more teeth without causing massively more problem than it solves?

Disclose: I live in null, and have a JF alt so I never have to enter highsec during war. **** actually being involved in your highsec squabbling.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#336 - 2015-04-09 01:13:19 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:

The core premise is simply: If you get benefits of a player corp, you must be vulnerable to war decs, not shed them like flakes of skin.

Getting around this in such a way that you benefit from player corps and are not vulnerable to decs is as much a circumvention of intended mechanics as gankers avoiding concord.

Several members of CCP have expressed that war decs are not strict enough, and there was even a period where avoiding decs and rejoining corps after decs was considered an exploit (later pulled back because it was considered counter intuitive to corp interface, NOT because it was deemed hunky-dory Donna. As far as where CCP stands, i agree with them, not them disagreeing with me)

There in lies the issue.
War Decs actually are strict enough..... If the target Corp has any incentive to actually stay as a corp.
The issue is there is no reason to stay as a corp under a wardec normally, so people just corp hop.

Now as Anhenka says you can't make leaving the corp stricter, or you shut down legit movement, end up forcing people to stay in NPC corps artificially rather than join another corp, or cause massive wardec contagion which again will shut down recruitment and force people to stay in NPC corps. Try adding in costs, and again, people who aren't in a place to effectively fight back will just dock up and not play for a week, and that's not good for anyone in EVE.

So, you need to solve it on the carrot side, especially for high sec corps who currently have pretty much no reason to even bother existing other than a tax bypass. You need to give them more incentives to be a long term corp. And you need to do it in such a way that also encourages long term membership in a corp. And these incentives need to not be abusable or direct power buffs or they in turn break balance. So it needs to be sideways benefits, like corp fittings, corp contracts, etc. That are useful but not directly required, and the corp has to be a certain age to get them, AND members must have been in the corp a certain time. So someone always corp hoping doesn't get such things.

Will it catch everyone, absolutely not, but those one man corps that only exist to bypass tax who mission run, you can probably catalyst gank them for the same price as a wardec.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#337 - 2015-04-09 02:24:32 UTC
Anhenka wrote:

1: It doesn't cause major collateral problems for people who might be completely not effected by the war otherwise.

2: Wardecs cannot be to contagious.

Quote:

What possible mechanics could give the wardec system a bit more teeth without causing massively more problem than it solves?

As mentioned before, killrights generated when someone leaves a corp during an active war. No one is literally forced out of switching a corp if they don't want to, but it keeps people from ducking in and out without consequence.

Corp creation itself also needs a hefty overhaul, so that it is neither instant nor basically free. It should not be a trivial matter to roll through different corporations one after another. Probably put a cooldown on it as well. When a corp is closed during an active war, the corp with the oldest standing wardec on the defender gets their corp name and ticker as a trophy. (that, or we can once again start banning people who use this exploit, but then half the incursion runners in the game would disappear overnight. Not that that's a bad thing)

Quote:
Your game. Killing your game. Don't lump together your and the rest of the playerbases ways of playing.

No, killing the game. That's the point of all of this, to change the mechanics to proliferate conflict and player interaction in highsec instead of smothering it, so as to encourage new player retention. Because making them chew on rocks damn sure isn't helping.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#338 - 2015-04-09 02:28:11 UTC
Bwahahaa, Kill rights.... Yea right.
because no-one would ever use that to grief individual people deliberately.

Get real, stop thinking only of how you want to be able to gank people and start thinking big picture. All your idea would do is make even more people stay in NPC corps. You just keep trying to force people to do things your way with more stick.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#339 - 2015-04-09 02:33:56 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Bwahahaa, Kill rights.... Yea right.
because no-one would ever use that to grief individual people deliberately.

Being blown up once is not griefing. I know you think it is, but you're completely wrong.

Quote:

Get real, stop thinking only of how you want to be able to gank people and start thinking big picture.

I am thinking big picture. I'm not the one sitting here defending the toxic status quo, that's you. You might not care if new players are being bored to death en masse so long as you benefit from it, but it's something that will be addressed eventually.

Quote:

All your idea would do is make even more people stay in NPC corps. You just keep trying to force people to do things your way with more stick.

No, they wouldn't stay in NPC corps if NPC corps were wholly sub optimal. Making NPC corps not competitive in terms of individual income automatically makes player corps something worth fighting for.

You know, risk vs reward? The people who accept more risk should have the better opportunities for reward. Instead of now, where they're basically the same because *reasons*.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#340 - 2015-04-09 02:40:00 UTC
So, after adding even more stick, you plan to add even more stick and give people even more penalties?
Like I said, you keep wanting to force people to play your way, not encourage people to take risks and play socially.

I'm not defending the status quo if you bother reading (which you never do).
I'm saying people need more positive reasons to be in High Sec corps, not negative reasons for NPC corps.
At which point you get the same effect without all the negative punishment you are determined to inflict on people because you believe they get too much. Which is really what you're all about here, you just want to nerf people who don't do what you want.