These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Question: Will EVE ever die?

First post
Author
White Tree
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2011-12-25 07:03:38 UTC
I think the game hasn't even peaked yet. There's still too much raw potential. One day I hope there'll be some sort of golden change that will magically unjumble the UI and the newbie experience and make the game much easier to play.

Former member of CSM6.

Xander Yavorsky
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2011-12-25 07:06:55 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Cheer up for on this day 2000 years ago a savior was born, we shouldnt be talking about death.

You do know he wasn't born in 11 AD right? Or even actually in December. Look it up, he was born in they think March. The church voted to celebrate it on the same day as Sol Invictus and Bruma in the 300 ADs. And don't be off topic! You're making me be off topic! Enough talking about religion, on this day, in 2011, a game name EVE is still played.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#23 - 2011-12-25 07:14:45 UTC
Xander Yavorsky wrote:
rodyas wrote:
Cheer up for on this day 2000 years ago a savior was born, we shouldnt be talking about death.

You do know he wasn't born in 11 AD right? Or even actually in December. Look it up, he was born in they think March. The church voted to celebrate it on the same day as Sol Invictus and Bruma in the 300 ADs. And don't be off topic! You're making me be off topic! Enough talking about religion, on this day, in 2011, a game name EVE is still played.

Jesus isnt a historian he doesnt care about all that. He only cares that we keep consumerism high on the holidays. <- he was a carpenter so he likes the extra business the holidays brings. How do you think Joseph could afford to take his family to egypt if it wasnt for black friday and cyber monday.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Nyx Na'gorg
Doomheim
#24 - 2011-12-25 07:24:48 UTC
White Tree wrote:
I think the game hasn't even peaked yet. There's still too much raw potential. One day I hope there'll be some sort of golden change that will magically unjumble the UI and the newbie experience and make the game much easier to play.

I would have to agree, we haven't even reached the original vision of EvE from when they first started it in their garage.
Bane Loppknow
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2011-12-25 07:39:15 UTC
It might. If it does, it will be a long time from now. I think that EVE, due to its nature, has an extended lifespan. One that can be further extended, given proper TLC.
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#26 - 2011-12-25 07:46:47 UTC
Anything that has a beginning has an end. All it takes is one bad move and poor leadership, we'll see if the turn around is a close call. On another note while mining I press Ctrl F9 and marvel at the new back drop, well done CCP.Big smile

Empire, the next new world order.

White Tree
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2011-12-25 07:58:01 UTC
I also think Crucible is what happens when the playerbase freaks CCP out a bit. Crucible owned and if the next year is as good as Crucible, well, I think there's a bright future ahead.

Former member of CSM6.

Skorpynekomimi
#28 - 2011-12-25 08:08:01 UTC
If people keep paying, it will keep going. If they don't pull another incarna and get complacent, people will pay.

Economic PVP

Ezekiel DeSangre
#29 - 2011-12-25 08:16:20 UTC
Xander Yavorsky wrote:
rodyas wrote:

The Church couldn't stop people from celebrating the pagan holiday(s) of Yule (Yultide) so they superimposed Jesus's birthday over it.

Meh..

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#30 - 2011-12-25 09:00:31 UTC
NickyYo wrote:
The game has been alive same amount of time as WoW and that game is starting to die.
My question is will EVE be here for another 10 years what do you think?

A year ago I would have answered that EVE will be definitely around in 10 years. But now, after the spring expansion, it depends, in my opinion - if CCP is able to get their act togehter. So next few years will determine the answer to your question in my opinion.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#31 - 2011-12-25 09:27:39 UTC
EVE can't die Shocked
It's in our heads...

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Dr Karsun
Coffee Lovers Brewing Club
#32 - 2011-12-25 10:22:10 UTC
I just have one question - why do you think wow is starting to die? They AGAIN had more subscriptions at the end of the year than at the beginning... They are growing, not dieing...

And eve is improving all the time, with graphics, new content and fixes, while wow is basically just getting new maps, new gear and the engine stays the same and in fact, that engine starts to hurt my eyes badly.

"Have you had your morning coffee?" -> the Coffee Lovers Brewing Club is recruiting! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=363976#post363976

Laken Starr
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2011-12-25 10:36:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Laken Starr
If they push occasional A/V updates, I'm fairly certain that Eve will last another 12+ years. Unlike many other MMORPGs, in Eve it is the players who make the content. This focus, coupled with the pvp nature of the game and interesting gameplay systems give it far more longevity than your standard 1234 fantasy button masher.

Dr Karsun wrote:
I just have one question - why do you think wow is starting to die? They AGAIN had more subscriptions at the end of the year than at the beginning... They are growing, not dieing...

And eve is improving all the time, with graphics, new content and fixes, while wow is basically just getting new maps, new gear and the engine stays the same and in fact, that engine starts to hurt my eyes badly.

There were some articles about a month ago stating that WoW had lost nearly 1m subs during the third quarter.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#34 - 2011-12-25 12:02:00 UTC
White Tree wrote:
I also think Crucible is what happens when the playerbase freaks CCP out a bit. Crucible owned and if the next year is as good as Crucible, well, I think there's a bright future ahead.

Maybe. In the process of fixing what was broken, they are breaking stuff again. WiS is reeking and certainly nobody is gonna wait a year before jumping on CCP's throat for flipping the bird to some of their customers.

Certainly if i was Unifex I would find a spot to go the WiS thread and ease the mood a bit with some PR fluff. 60 days, 1,687 posts, and CCP still ignores the thread = trouble.
SmegB
Almost Dangerous
Wolves Amongst Strangers
#35 - 2011-12-25 13:34:21 UTC
NickyYo wrote:
The game has been alive same amount of time as WoW and that game is starting to die.

If wow is dieing explain how they keep increasing their numbers. they are at over 10mil players. eve 300k maybe
Jeveriah Zhuchowski
Doomheim
#36 - 2011-12-25 13:45:22 UTC
There are still people out there playing Ultima Online, both on the official servers and on third party shards. Apparently, Everquest also still exists. I don't believe Eve will ever truly die... though if something else comes along that fills its unique niche (there aren't many sandbox MMOs quite so professionally produced as Eve), it could well fade, as have others before.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#37 - 2011-12-25 14:13:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
White Tree wrote:

Maybe. In the process of fixing what was broken, they are breaking stuff again. WiS is reeking and certainly nobody is gonna wait a year before jumping on CCP's throat for flipping the bird to some of their customers.

Certainly if i was Unifex I would find a spot to go the WiS thread and ease the mood a bit with some PR fluff. 60 days, 1,687 posts, and CCP still ignores the thread = trouble.

PR fluff caused this summer's threadnarok (edit, forums hated the link ... let's see if this works -- http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1536065&page=1 ). 13,000+ posts in seven days (admittedly, a fair number are probably trolling or useless ... even if only 15% were useful, that's still 1900 posts).

I get it, some people (presumably, you included) joined after hearing about WiS, and thought it was a "good enough" feature to sign up for. And yes, many of the older players like the idea (me included) as well -- but CCP blew it with 2 years of "just wait guys, we have ~awesome~ coming for you" leading up to the terribad release that was Incarna.

Let them CCP fix a lot of the things that people have been complaining about being absolutely ******* broken for the last number of years before trying to get them to ram another **** expansion down our throats. Seriously, CCP probably won't be able to handle another expansion that flops like Incarna. Let them get back on track, iterate on things that have been needing it for ages.

CCP is on thin ice with the playerbase right now. I'm pretty sure they've calculated the risks and are willing to see a few players leave because "hey, WiS is still a prison cell", rather than the mass exodus that "guess Crucible and the new direction was just bullshit from CCP" would likely cause. Alternatively, they may not have calculated the risks, and still think we're just a cash cow, but realised that FiS keeps the cash cow happier overall.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Jenshae Chiroptera
#38 - 2011-12-25 14:18:08 UTC
rodyas wrote:

Lies! P

Happy Yule to you all. Smile

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Roscojameson
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2011-12-25 14:22:55 UTC
SmegB wrote:
NickyYo wrote:

If wow is dieing explain how they keep increasing their numbers. they are at over 10mil players. eve 300k maybe

The numbers don't really have the much to do with dieing. Yes, 0 subscribers = dead, but with a niche game(i.e. EvE) the players base tends to be a lot more loyal. A lot of wow's player base is there because everyone else is there. It also has the best "hardcore" end game content for a game of its type. As soon as another game takes a good chunk of the players and another game starts to be considered the new head honcho, the rest will follow. It's human nature. It almost happened with Rift, but then they got to the end game and everyone realized the end game sucked.
Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#40 - 2011-12-25 14:44:22 UTC
Ezekiel DeSangre wrote:
Xander Yavorsky wrote:
rodyas wrote:

The Church couldn't stop people from celebrating the pagan holiday(s) of Yule (Yultide) so they superimposed Jesus's birthday over it.

The Church actually encouraged the appropriation of local festivals into church dogma to encourage people to convert. In the Church's beginning it was actually worthy of being called Catholic, i.e. "Universal", because it was willing to appropriate much. The reasoning behind this being that people accepting Christ as their savior was more important the cultural supremacy. That was the early days though. Later on after it had been geographically and politically established it was in the Church's best interests to assert cultural dominance.

By the way, since we're already talking, do you want to buy a rifter? I've got the cheapest rifters in Metropolis. If you can find a cheaper rifter, buy it!

Previous page123Next page