These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wardec matters once again

First post First post
Author
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#301 - 2015-04-08 10:16:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Nevyn Auscent
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Quote:
I am willing to bet quite a number of people quit because of the combat pvp in one form or another.

1% or less, according to CCP themselves.

No, that's an outright lie, since we have no statistics on how many people quit because of ganking.
The only statistics we have are that 1% of players under the age of 15 days get suicide ganked..... Which involves said player having something worth suicide ganking in their first 15 days for a start.
And that 'some' of them then quit.
There was also a much larger group that had 'consensual PvP' which implied they either accepted a duel under possibly false circumstances, went suspect, or went into low sec. And we also know some of those quit.
So even in the first 15 days we have a much larger group who quit because of PvP than 1% according to CCP.

We have no idea how many players a bit older quit because they personally got ganked, and how many quit because their friend got ganked and they couldn't do a thing to stop it.

So.... don't peddle lies. Much as some people need to get over the fact ganking happens, you rampantly lie about things surrounding ganking constantly trying to push the pro ganking agenda to make it even easier for you to gank and make a profit doing so.

On the topic of wardecs, Wardecs are extremely powerful already and don't need a buff.
What does need a buff is reasons to be in a player corp, and that needs a buff on the carrot side, nerfs on the NPC side will just make some people quit.
And reasons to not remake a corp to avoid a wardec. It should always remain possible because all the proposed 'solutions' actually allow for real grief decs to exist and to force people out of the game for weeks on end. So again, it needs to happen as a carrot, there need to be advantages to a corp staying intact for a long time, and those advantages need to be visible and affect the daily life of it's members.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#302 - 2015-04-08 10:18:58 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
WarDec mechanics could be changed to disallow WarDecs against smaller corporations or alliances. Smaller corporations or alliances would still be free to WarDec larger alliances or corporations.

That would just increase the probem of everyoen goign into their own bubble of single man corps.

Anyway very small corps are already effectively immuent o war dec, we for example would never waste isk war deccing a 2 man corp.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#303 - 2015-04-08 12:00:09 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

On the topic of wardecs, Wardecs are extremely powerful already and don't need a buff.

100% voluntary is not "extremely powerful".

In fact it's extremely weak.

Quote:

What does need a buff is reasons to be in a player corp, and that needs a buff on the carrot side, nerfs on the NPC side will just make some people quit.

LOL.

First you go after me for using actual data, then you spout this bullshit?

Back that up right now, or admit that you lied. You have absolutely no basis to suggest that finally giving NPC corps the nerf they so richly deserve will negatively effect retention.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#304 - 2015-04-08 12:35:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Nevyn Auscent
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

LOL.

First you go after me for using actual data, then you spout this bullshit?

Back that up right now, or admit that you lied. You have absolutely no basis to suggest that finally giving NPC corps the nerf they so richly deserve will negatively effect retention.

Basic logic. You are attempting to use a large stick and no carrot on a group that feels targeted. All that will do is show them they are right, and some will quit because of the direction of movement. How many, I don't know, but you should never take actions which are entirely designed as punitive without first proving with real data that there is an issue. And your 'Data' saying NPC corps need a Nerf is not 'Data' at all, just your opinion.

As for wardecs being 100% voluntary, you are right, they are. And they should always stay voluntary. Otherwise it is possible to actually grief dec people for real.
What should happen is if you chose to Dec dodge you lose real measurable benefits to your day to day play that a corp that stays together for a certain time gets. At that point even if you are making a new player corp or bouncing between two, there is a real loss that you are taking.

Right now Wardecs only seem so weak because there is so little benefit to being a highsec corp.
Once there are actual benefits of note to everyone, then wardecs are actually a highly powerful tool in their current form.

Edit; Also you didn't use actual data. You took CCP, quoted them utterly out of context and omitted a large portion of the data. That's known as falsifying your results in science.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#305 - 2015-04-08 12:41:13 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Basic logic. You are attempting to use a large stick and no carrot on a group that feels targeted.

Proving once more that you guys just don't read what I post at all. I guess "basic logic" doesn't include basic reading skills.

Quote:

As for wardecs being 100% voluntary, you are right, they are. And they should always stay voluntary. Otherwise it is possible to actually grief dec people for real.

Of course you think this, because you think all non consensual PvP is griefing.

In reality, PvP conflict is the intended state of this game, not farming red crosses and chewing on rocks. One is interesting and improves player retention, the other is a glorified Facebook game that people can't justify subscribing for.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#306 - 2015-04-08 12:45:01 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Of course you think this, because you think all non consensual PvP is griefing.

In reality, PvP conflict is the intended state of this game, not farming red crosses and chewing on rocks. One is interesting and improves player retention, the other is a glorified Facebook game that people can't justify subscribing for.

If I thought all non consensual PvP was griefing, then I wouldn't be saying that it would make actual grief deccing possible if you made it impossible to leave a wardec.....
Because it would already be possible currently, so couldn't become possible.
Jeez, reading comprehension much.

For you in real simple words since you failed to understand every single time I've posted.

I do not believe ganking is always griefing, but if you force people to be gankable it can become a tool for griefing.

Simply labelling anyone who posts a contrary opinion and argument to your opinions as a carebear etc, does not make it the truth, and also shows how weak your own position is when you constantly instantly resort to insults and labels.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#307 - 2015-04-08 12:46:13 UTC
You already said chewing rocks and farming red crosses is PvP. Make your mind up.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#308 - 2015-04-08 12:49:23 UTC
afkalt wrote:
You already said chewing rocks and farming red crosses is PvP. Make your mind up.

It effects the market, certainly.

But it's not engaging gameplay, and it's been proven that pushing people into doing it negatively effects their likelihood of subscribing.

That's all I need to condemn it and the people who advocate for it, that it makes player subs die of boredom.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#309 - 2015-04-08 12:59:50 UTC
The biggest issue with HS wardecs atm is that there's no incentive for the defender to actually put up any kind of fight..... coz if they win, then the aggressors just dock up and present a pretty huge risk to making any serious money, if they lose, they lose

I think there need to be consequences for the aggressor in a war to discourage wardeccing for troll-kills, before war-decs can be addressed, but if you fix that issue, you might find wardecs don't need fixing

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#310 - 2015-04-08 13:00:09 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

It effects the market, certainly.

But it's not engaging gameplay, and it's been proven that pushing people into doing it negatively effects their likelihood of subscribing.

That's all I need to condemn it and the people who advocate for it, that it makes player subs die of boredom.

Again, no it hasn't.
It's been shown that there is a relationship between things in the first 15 days. That's ALL.
You keep trying to use CCP's 15 day snapshot which was not an in depth analysis of each individual factor to claim that it 'proves' things.

We have no idea if 50% of those 'People who only mined and then quit' only did so because they only got to 4/10 on the industrial tutorial and never logged in again. We have no idea about how many hours each type of player invested in their first 15 days. Those who got ganked but stayed could have been because by that stage they already had 100 hours in EVE. A lot of the quits may never get past hour 2.
We simply have no idea at all. It was an interesting snapshot, and the difference they saw in the NPE between those who got the old tutorials and those who got 'Opportunities' is certainly worth following up more on, and some more in depth study based on hours played in game might also be very interesting to see if there is a threshold at which subscribing becomes vastly more likely. But it simply didn't isolate enough factors for anyone on any side of an argument to claim it 'proves' anything.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#311 - 2015-04-08 13:30:24 UTC
More on topic, I'm hoping that the new structures will allow easily for switching between offensive and defensive abilities and that a pilot will be able to dock as if it was a huge imobile ship to command it as a battlestation. This might encourage people to leave their towers up in conflict.

Failing this there could be a 24 hour cooldown timer on base operations before the station can be unanchored. This would present a real risk to standing one up but would then need the benefits of the tower to match those in losec/null as you are equally exposed to risk but with much smaller ships and resources available for defence against a large aggressor.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#312 - 2015-04-08 14:53:56 UTC
My favourite part of the presentation being waved about like some sort of childs flag was that the of that "40%" are sole, are generally mission runners, isolated, stay to themselves, don't trade much, do not engage in a diverse range of activities.

Yet here people are, pouring scorn on industrial groups... a player GROUP who do not mission, who do engage in the diverse opportunities the game offers and who do trade. These guys don't REMOTELY fit the description posed by CCP Rise.

It's almost as if people in here absolutely no idea what they are talking about, or indeed how their extrapolation to the levels done here are wholly unsound and frankly borderline ludicrous.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#313 - 2015-04-08 14:58:41 UTC
Here, for Nevyn and the rest who still insist on using the tired old narrative that "griefing" makes people quit.

CCP disagrees.

Best Meltdown Ever.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#314 - 2015-04-08 17:59:00 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Indeed, as am I, and I'm so are many who post here. Hilariously so are the all the industrial corps Lol

Quite frankly the only thing "poisonous" around eve I see with any semblance of regularity, are peoples forum attitudes.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#315 - 2015-04-08 19:08:42 UTC
Removed some off topic posts. Keep it on topic and civil. Thank you.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#316 - 2015-04-08 19:49:17 UTC
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Removed some off topic posts. Keep it on topic and civil. Thank you.

must have kept you busy for a while :D
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#317 - 2015-04-08 19:53:38 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Here, for Nevyn and the rest who still insist on using the tired old narrative that "griefing" makes people quit.

CCP disagrees.

So direct CCP Rise quote: The strongest indicators for a new player staying with EVE are associated with social activity: joining corps, using market and contract systems, pvping, etc.

Note that PvE players tend to do the first 4 of that 5, thay also tend to engage in invention and exploration. That's somewhat more than the narrow PvP Combat field. All elements are required pure and simple.

If you want people to be more social then propose ways to actually improve the wardec system rather than simply force it on people as this absolutely will not engage them.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#318 - 2015-04-08 20:00:35 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:

If you want people to be more social then propose ways to actually improve the wardec system rather than simply force it on people as this absolutely will not engage them.

And once again, we just are not listening to what I'm saying, are we.

Do you lot have anything except that tired old strawman, or is just your favorite?

Best Meltdown Ever.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#319 - 2015-04-08 20:10:24 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

And once again, we just are not listening to what I'm saying, are we.

Do you lot have anything except that tired old strawman, or is just your favorite?

Once again you aren't offering anything constructive here, give ideas on how to engage people in the process as they will simply find more ways to avoid the issue or make it very expensive for the aggressors for no gain at all. It isn't a strawman it is simple fact that people playing a game will not do something they fo not wish to, they will avoid it or quit the game. If what you do isn't fun then you simply won't do it one way or another.

As the direct quote from CCP Rise that you so kindly provided points out all aspects of EvE are required for a healthy game, not just PvP. Simply because you don't like them for not liking PvP is not a valid reason to force them to partake in it.

Look at it from both sides, forcing people to PvP for any viable way to play the game is akin to forcing PvP players to mine all required minerals and build avery ship and module they wish to fly before they can do so. To get people to try something different you need to give them a fun reason to, and that's fun to them, not fun to yo as a PvP player.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#320 - 2015-04-08 20:27:43 UTC

Once again you aren't offering anything constructive here, give ideas on how to engage people in the process as they will simply find more ways to avoid the issue or make it very expensive for the aggressors for no gain at all.

There are entire pages of my thoughts on the matter in this very thread.

And still you bring out the tired old "you just want to force people to PvP!" nonsense.

Quote:

As the direct quote from CCP Rise that you so kindly provided points out all aspects of EvE are required for a healthy game, not just PvP. Simply because you don't like them for not liking PvP is not a valid reason to force them to partake in it.

And you seem to have missed the first part of that quote, and the reason why I linked it.

The people who don't want to fight are not relevant. "griefing" does not have an impact of player retention, according to CCP themselves.

Quote:

Look at it from both sides, forcing people to PvP for any viable way to play the game is akin to forcing PvP players to mine all required minerals and build avery ship and module they wish to fly before they can do so.

Actually, it's akin to forcing us to shoot red crosses to grind back security status points.

Which none of you have any problem with, as we've been over before. You have no problem forcing people to do odious PvE content, but you damn sure better not to have to do even the slightest thing outside your wishes, oh hell no. Hypocrisy in its purest form.

Quote:

To get people to try something different you need to give them a fun reason to, and that's fun to them, not fun to yo as a PvP player.

Still haven't been paying attention. I've offered a wide variety of economic incentives for being in a player corp and dealing with wars. But in the end, it just doesn't matter. If they don't want to do anything different and they're standing in the way of improving the mechanic, they will be swept aside just like the ISBoxers.

It's time that highsec gets an attitude adjustment, whether some people want to follow or not.

Best Meltdown Ever.