These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

A new ship to encourage life in nulsec.

First post
Author
Loteaus Seaven
#1 - 2015-04-08 00:21:51 UTC
Throughout the time I have been playing EVE I have noticed the difficulty of getting people into areas of nulsec, without being manhandled by bigger alliances etc.. What I am suggesting here would be a possible solution to this deadlock that seems to exist.

A ship you can live in.

1) I see this ship as the size of an Orca.
2) It has the ability to cloak.
3) It needs to be manned by an alt or character to operate.
4) It can J using a cyno.
5) One other character can dock at any time and change into different ships or refit an existing ship.
6) The ship could be fitted for a specific role only: mining, manufacturing, research etc...

The idea is to be able to maintain a presence in a hostile environment for a prolong period of time and benefit from the materials or encounters found in these areas..

Hopefully this will get CCP involved.

d0cTeR9
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-04-08 00:24:56 UTC
You mean... like a carrier and rorqual put together?

Why not... use a carrier and a rorqual and EARN (ie fight) for the space to put up a POS?

Or you know... NPC low sec space.

Been around since the beginning.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#3 - 2015-04-08 00:26:34 UTC
Thread has been moved to Features & Ideas Discussion.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Loteaus Seaven
#4 - 2015-04-08 00:29:42 UTC
It might be a solution for re-tasking a Titan, or creation of a new Titan, (maybe produced by SOE?)
Jenshae Chiroptera
#5 - 2015-04-08 00:33:24 UTC
When I lived in worm holes, I actually saw people living out of an Orca, they would destabilise the connections defensively with it with combat and scouts ready.

(An Orca can cloak)

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2015-04-08 00:34:49 UTC
Loteaus Seaven wrote:
It might be a solution for re-tasking a Titan, or creation of a new Titan, (maybe produced by SOE?)

But you need to hold SOV to build a titan in the first place, and a blockade runner alt, a t3 and a mobile depot would serve you better.
Conrad Makbure
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-04-08 00:35:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Conrad Makbure
I wanted to post an idea similar to this, but I was thinking a large ship that deploys into a base that would be comparable to a small pos. It would be multi-role, but have to be properly fit for the various roles, i.e., R&D, manufacture, listening post etc.

For balance reasons it would consume the required fuel a small pos would need to run and it would not be able to switch back and fourth from ship to base and back again, there would be a CD or a long cycle or so. But still usable in any space in the game.
Loteaus Seaven
#8 - 2015-04-08 00:36:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Loteaus Seaven
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
When I lived in worm holes, I actually saw people living out of an Orca, they would destabilise the connections defensively with it with combat and scouts ready.

(An Orca can cloak)

Not so much of a leap then.

The J-ing concept would allow ships to move without encountering hostilities via gates and maximise survivability in these environments.
Loteaus Seaven
#9 - 2015-04-08 00:41:26 UTC
Conrad Makbure wrote:
I wanted to post an idea similar to this, but I was thinking a large ship that deploys into a base that would be comparable to a small pos. It would be multi-role, but have to be properly fit for the various roles, i.e., R&D, manufacture, listening post etc.

For balance reasons it would consume the required fuel a small pos would need to run and it would not be able to switch back and fourth from ship to base and back again, there would be a CD or a long cycle or so. But still usable in any space in the game.

That sounds like what I'm talking about.
Loteaus Seaven
#10 - 2015-04-08 00:48:11 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Loteaus Seaven wrote:

But you need to hold SOV to build a titan in the first place, and a blockade runner alt, a t3 and a mobile depot would serve you better.

It would be interesting using a Titan as a mobile base of ops. This would create a more Nomadic lifestyle.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2015-04-08 00:50:45 UTC
Loteaus Seaven wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Loteaus Seaven wrote:

It would be interesting using a Titan as a mobile base of ops. This would create a more Nomadic lifestyle.

What, compared with just using a POS?

How do you figure that?

What advantages does your entire idea give ovr a small pos packed up in a blockade runner, or a T3 with a mobile depot in the hold?
Loteaus Seaven
#12 - 2015-04-08 00:55:11 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Loteaus Seaven wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Loteaus Seaven wrote:

What, compared with just using a POS?

How do you figure that?

What advantages does your entire idea give ovr a small pos packed up in a blockade runner, or a T3 with a mobile depot in the hold?

mobility.. Not being committed to one location, being able to move without it being too much of a burden, Not attracting POS bashing strategies.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2015-04-08 00:59:53 UTC
Doesn't take any real effort to pack your POS back up when you're done with it. Or to just not care if it dies, they're not exactly expensive compared with capitals.

Nor is a T3 with a depot immobile.

Hell, compared with either option, something orca sized is considerably less mobile, and something titan sized is just lol.
Loteaus Seaven
#14 - 2015-04-08 01:10:38 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Doesn't take any real effort to pack your POS back up when you're done with it. Or to just not care if it dies, they're not exactly expensive compared with capitals.

Nor is a T3 with a depot immobile.

Hell, compared with either option, something orca sized is considerably less mobile, and something titan sized is just lol.

A titan for a small operation might be overkill, agreed; for a mobile corp, maybe not.

An Orca can be cloaked, therefore protecting assets; a POS is visible to undesirables. An Orca sized ship would allow you to collect and store what you collect and then remove it from a region without repeatedly going back and forth. Maybe even become self reliant on an individual level in Nulsec?

What you are suggesting sounds a bit busy to me. Simplifying would increase interest.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#15 - 2015-04-08 02:31:15 UTC
d0cTeR9 wrote:
You mean... like a carrier and rorqual put together?

Why not... use a carrier and a rorqual and EARN (ie fight) for the space to put up a POS?

Or you know... NPC low sec space.

no he seems to want a rorq you can dock inside of and rather than doing a bit of research to find out how that doesn't work he chose to just make a redundant post
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#16 - 2015-04-08 03:09:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
OP.....ninjya pve ops in 0.0 are a very old tradition. Lots of people have made it work pretty good.

Hint 1: Easy way to do it is follow the war scene. If crew A is having a road trip party in crew b's space....ninjya pve crew A's space. barring this...find null bear heavy space. They will dock in fear of the potential for pvp. "afk" cloak tactics optional really. they scatter like roaches when you turn the light on. This should get a day if not more of fun.

Hint 2: have friends or make a second account. Second accounts the transport. Cloak the transport. Ninjya ratter, gas harvester, etc dumps off to the transport. You obviously uncloak the transport for dump runs. Gets you some cargo space that won't die as easy on the way out.

Hint 3: Ninjya pve in the space of the corp in the blob not very active in your tz. If corp A of blueball B is oceanic/asia tz heavy and you are US tz....you see less of them at 2000. If any. Many of us heading to work/school at this time. Work out the rest of the TZ maths. Or google meeting worldwide times if lazy lol.

HInt 4: learn wh's. One of the best ways to get in and get out. Skips gates and you can clear out when it gets hot safer...usually. If lucky no one in the roam saying hi has scanned the system for wh entrances. They see you. Go gate lock down camp mode And out you go through the backdoor.
Loteaus Seaven
#17 - 2015-04-08 03:10:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Loteaus Seaven
I can appreciate viewpoints from people who have a certain perspective or ulterior motive to not encourage this topic; I don't think the opportunity to explore this concept is a bad one.

My idea is to stay there, not having to be dictated to by a large alliance, but being able to survive there.

Love the Ninja hints. This is like sneaking in under the giants eyes and out again.
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#18 - 2015-04-08 05:20:12 UTC
1. Find WH system with Nullsec static.
2. Place POS in that system.
3. ????
4. Profit

Brutus Utama
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-04-08 11:33:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Brutus Utama
So you mean like a carrier? sarcasm aside i thought of an idea for the rorqual... give it a new module which allows it to enter a seige/triage/bastian style mode which say increases its mining ability by 300-400% (will require stripminers) but durin this 5-10 minute cycle the rorqual is stuck in postition... it cannot warp recieve reps jump etc...

would be like a capital mining ship mines huge amounts of ores but very vulnerable whilst doing so...
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2015-04-08 13:11:00 UTC
Well OP, your bright idea not the uniqe and there are still few threads related to similar scenario. A mobile base like titan where you could live and move it arround switch it to the staging mode where you could do some science production etc. etc.

So basicaly as Danika said it is a mobile POS the only diffetence you don not move it by ships cause it is a ship with pos functionality. Titan sounds great cause it's big and scary and cool. And with current titans layout and unseen future it's not the best choice.

In this case we should closer look at Rorqual. This ship lost it's glory and collecting dust in most of the cases at current time. This ship has some uniqness which might be turned into something new similar what you proposed but with different bonuses and slots layout.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

12Next page