These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[April] Battlecruiser Warp Speed and Warp Rig Tweaks

First post First post
Author
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#161 - 2015-04-07 00:34:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitch Kaneland
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Interesting idea, but out of curiosity which other rigs don't have any sort of drawback? I can't recall any right off the top of my head despite also recalling that they exist. Would be useful for comparison in power level.

It's clear from this thread and the amount of debate over Battleship warp speed that warp speed is very much a powerful thing to have so many it is appropriate for these rigs to have a drawback?

PG/CPU rigs don't have any drawbacks.

I wouldn't call it "powerful". Its more about being able to move with your group that you're supporting, and not slowing them down, or being too fast. Which is kind of the point of a "battlecruiser", it should be able to keep up with its cruiser fleet. Or not outrun its battleship brethren.

Sig increase isn't much of an issue, so i think that will be more favorable. Especially when BC/BS already have the sig of a moon. Not to mention, this is a "tiny" interceptor nerf. All these travel fit ceptors with i-stabs might actually be caught by the sensor boosted loki's that keep crying on the forums.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#162 - 2015-04-07 00:48:53 UTC
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

Sig increase isn't much of an issue, so i think that will be more favorable. Especially when BC/BS already have the sig of a moon. Not to mention, this is a "tiny" interceptor nerf. All these travel fit ceptors with i-stabs might actually be caught by the sensor boosted loki's that keep crying on the forums.

Done right, travel-ceptors should not be catchable due to the <2 tick aligns, as it takes a tick to start the lock, and a tick to confirm the lock, and scram/point lands the next tick

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#163 - 2015-04-07 02:02:10 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

Done right, travel-ceptors should not be catchable due to the <2 tick aligns, as it takes a tick to start the lock, and a tick to confirm the lock, and scram/point lands the next tick

Oh, well then, i guess let the sensor boosted tears continue.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#164 - 2015-04-07 08:07:19 UTC
lots and lots of talk in this thread about how useless CBCs are.

The simple solution is to remove OGB's.

Once OGB's are gone, have a look at how popular CBC's become.

Yes, CBC's have other failings but these would only be stats tweaks (lock range is one of them).
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#165 - 2015-04-07 08:17:19 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
afkalt wrote:
You know, it wouldn't kill just to ditch the drawback completely. There are other rigs like this and reducing tank/gank for a non combat benefit is arguably enough of a trade.

Interesting idea, but out of curiosity which other rigs don't have any sort of drawback? I can't recall any right off the top of my head despite also recalling that they exist. Would be useful for comparison in power level.

It's clear from this thread and the amount of debate over Battleship warp speed that warp speed is very much a powerful thing to have so many it is appropriate for these rigs to have a drawback?

The fitting ones, in fact I'm 99% sure all the "core" ones do not, including the egress ones which are very powerful for spider tanks.

I'm wholly convinced it's a powerful thing so much as a horrible handicap/straight up not fun to spend most of the evening in a warp tunnel/have the entire fleet waiting on you. Were battleships the final word in subcap power, demolishing everything smaller (I do not think the should be, for clarity) the yes the warp speed would absolutely factor in keeping them in check. As it is though...not so much. They take ages to arrive and are fairly lacklustre in the current meta (ironically, if BC had a strong presence, there would be a greater call for BS Ugh)

@Spugg Galdon: People would just use command ships, no point in doing it half arsed and an OGB can sit in a command ship out the gate.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#166 - 2015-04-07 09:37:52 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
lots and lots of talk in this thread about how useless CBCs are.

The simple solution is to remove OGB's.

Once OGB's are gone, have a look at how popular CBC's become.

Yes, CBC's have other failings but these would only be stats tweaks (lock range is one of them).

uh? Completely unrelated to each other.

The problem with CBC is simply that they are not powerful enough to justify a drop in speed of a group moving, and if the groups decide they can spare to go slower, they skip BC and go directly to Battleship level.

At the individual scale the main problem with BC is their LACK of mobility, specially because non oversized prop mods are quite worse on them than on cruisers.

You could fix that with a bonus to prop mod amount and or tweaks on mass and agility. Let BC e less agile than cruisers but make them able to reach same speeds. Otherwise they are simply unable to fight against cruisers on small scale warfare.

When the scale grows up and logistic and damage projection means everything, that is when BC collapse completely. T2 and t3 ships of cruiser sized hulls are UTTERLY superior. That is a scale of warfare where I do not see BC being relevant again with only small changes.

Eve is simple, contrary to the beliefs of many. Combat efficiency depends if you are a force multiplier/tackle or fighting material. if you are fighting material the important aspects are mobility, projection, damage and staying power. BC are BAD.. at mobility, projection and staying power and on same level as hacs for damage. No reason to use them.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#167 - 2015-04-07 09:41:48 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Real eve is not like that. The MASSIVE acceleration advantage of gallente means they outpace minmatar EASILY at the start of the combat, and they can get tackle (and in tackle range they win, purely and simple).

Also the Bonus do overheating MWD DENIES any racial speed advantage. No other overheat bonus is SEVERAL TIMES larger than the bonus a module modifier gives ( nanos for example). That means that It does not matter that you have 10% higher max speed. The other ship that is more agile just need to Overheat at some point and you wil NOT have time to react, because the speed boost is too massive.

Someone that cannot catch a minmatar ship , while using a gallente ship of same class is just a horrible player, or stuck in a very very singular scenario ( for example, battleships react slowly enough that the acceleration means less).

The end result is that minmatar is NOT good on what they were supposed to be good (with very rare exceptions).

Check the agility numbers again (align time) the difference between Minmatar and Gallente ships is *tiny* and the faster speed of the Minmatar ships easily compensates in most cases, putting them at a higher speed faster than the equivalent Gallente ship. In the few cases where this isn't the case the difference is so tiny as to not matter.

For example, this is a graph of the velocity of the Claw and Ares over time as they accelerate from zero. Note that at every point in the graph the Claw is moving faster than the Ares. Also because the Minmatar ships are generally more agile than the Gallente ones they respond better to a propulsion module as well since propulsion modules add a mass penalty as part of their activation to mitigate the speed increase and reduce agility. This means that an Ares and a Claw fitted with a T2 MWD align in almost exactly the same amount of time.

I'll see about editing in the source data for the graph to my original spreadsheet so other people can make their own tests and comparisons.

Sorry but GRAPHS and eve when a pilot is present are VERY different scenarions.

And minamtar ships are NOT more agile. They are less agile. The minamtar speed advatage means nothing (with a very few exceptions), because to be combat efficient you need to stay not much outside close range tackle from your enemy (bad dps requires that).. so if you keep your prop mod overheated... you will burn and die. Ifyou wait to react with overheat, you WILLGET CAUGHT, because gallente ships gain speed MUCH MUCH faster when you overheat and by the time you react ( at LEAST 2 seconds later... it is too late.

Real combat in eve (at least on small scale warfare where mobility of this type is relevant) is not like graphs. You need to take into account reaction time by players, server ticks, overheating, the need to kill thigns before they get to gate ... etc...

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#168 - 2015-04-07 10:14:39 UTC
The last time I flew a CBC in anger was a little while ago (when I was still able to play a lot more than now..... RL is far more important). In that situation I flew (the only BC in the fleet) a Prophecy with HAMs and an armour link. It was very beneficial to the fleet and because I had a 15% warp speed implant fitted I kept up with the T1 gang easily.

Eve is heading in a direction where getting assets on grid and doing their job very quickly will be key. Trying to setup an offgrid booster on the fly will be time consuming and will probably lose you the capture point. Also, if OGB's got deleted then people wouldn't simply just switch to command ships. They're an absolute SP sink and very expensive. They would use CBC's most of the time and switch to command ships when the need was required.
I see the future of EvE combat being very bloody with Entosis Sov so people won't be that willing to throw very expensive ships into the furnace constantly but, hey, a CBC, sure why not.

I just feel that making gang links simply have a 250-500km bubble of effectiveness would solve a hell of a lot of issues in the game and give CBC's an actual purpose.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#169 - 2015-04-07 10:47:32 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

The problem with CBC is simply that they are not powerful enough to justify a drop in speed of a group moving, and if the groups decide they can spare to go slower, they skip BC and go directly to Battleship level.

At the individual scale the main problem with BC is their LACK of mobility, specially because non oversized prop mods are quite worse on them than on cruisers.

You could fix that with a bonus to prop mod amount and or tweaks on mass and agility. Let BC e less agile than cruisers but make them able to reach same speeds. Otherwise they are simply unable to fight against cruisers on small scale warfare.

Which means they either need more fitting space, to make the oversized props slightly more viable as a standard, or a mass reduction and agility modifier tweak. As the mass reduction (with a corresponding agility modifier tweak to keep align similar) also makes nanos and i-stabs much more effective but the MWD bonus mass hurt more, I am also in favor of this. It means that without a base speed increase, a BC could outdo a CA in a straight line sprint, but that the cruiser can use agility and piloting wiles to shake the faster but clumsy BC until it can disengage the MWD and re-approach. Although this could lead to bad things, like BCs with lower mass than cruisers (another place I would like to see a similar change, so prop mods hurt agility more but move things faster)

Kagura Nikon wrote:

When the scale grows up and logistic and damage projection means everything, that is when BC collapse completely. T2 and t3 ships of cruiser sized hulls are UTTERLY superior. That is a scale of warfare where I do not see BC being relevant again with only small changes.

Eve is simple, contrary to the beliefs of many. Combat efficiency depends if you are a force multiplier/tackle or fighting material. if you are fighting material the important aspects are mobility, projection, damage and staying power. BC are BAD.. at mobility, projection and staying power and on same level as hacs for damage. No reason to use them.

BCs currently have 2 major advantages over HACs. They are T1, with BPOs in easy reach of a dedicated newbie, and they get good insurance payouts compared to t2/faction hulls. so,

While they have more native tank than a cruiser, the lower agility and high sig mean that they take way more damage before resists. While BCs can get higher resists due to more slots.....

Buuuut while they have more slots, but need more support slots as they can be outrun if not nano-fit, damped hard if without sebo, TD'd to death if it doesn't have a TC, etc. Most cruisers are more able to fly in a way which reduces the ability of their opponent to negate their damage, because

They have lowish agility and speed, so you better be pointed in the right direction when you hit the prop. You better not run into a scram with a micro as your main prop, or boom, you hit zero speed in no time flat, which sucks because:

You have ~20% more DPS, but have trouble applying it to many common cruiser hulls, so if they aren't running a weapon with a near identical profile, good luck. Kiting cruiser beats brawling BC by kiting it to death. Brawling cruiser is almost as fast and much more agile than most kiting BCs, with more DPS. Generalist cruiser gets it's choice due to the huge role positioning plays in solo, or the better mitigation from sig/speed tank than any BC.

Now, how do we make them distinct and competative, without erasing all of these differences.....

For this, we should probably take a look at what fueled the age of battlecruisers online. This was a time when drakes were the major fleet ship, canes were the biggest solo boat, and it wasn't uncommon to see brutix or harbies flying around in groups. These lovely ships weren't the quick and fragile frigates, nor the medium lumbering battleships. They were able to grind cruisers to dust by doing almost everything a cruiser could, and more, with some small tradeoffs that could be fit around. In short, like the pike or musket in their time, or the modern assault rifle, they were versatile medium weight weapons that could be gotten into action as a reaction or used offensively even with only mediocre training.

The first thing that kicked them hard was the loss of much of the performance in the BC tieracide/nerf combo, which meant the gap between them and cruisers was much reduced, and the versatility that they were most prized for mostly went away.

Then warp speed changes hit, and they became too slow to be used effectively as a heavier defensive tool if not pre-positioned or when fighting on the ends of one's space. While this wasn't too much more of a nerf, these lovely ships were already falling out of favor for BSes as the blobs got bigger, solo got less common and the platforms themselves were hit in almost every vulnerability, falling especially prey to the loss of fitting room which had let them be very easily adapted to almost any purpose on the fly, without double and triple checking that everyone could fly the ship properly.

The real kicker was the cruiser tieracide, which brought up almost every cruiser's performance and closed the gap between almost every cruiser and battle cruiser, some particularly nasty t1 cruisers ending up with performance like the former battlecruisers.

So, this helps with giving them back some of the ability to be used in a versatile manner. Now if we could just get the room to make versatile fits with them.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#170 - 2015-04-07 10:56:35 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
The last time I flew a CBC in anger was a little while ago (when I was still able to play a lot more than now..... RL is far more important). In that situation I flew (the only BC in the fleet) a Prophecy with HAMs and an armour link. It was very beneficial to the fleet and because I had a 15% warp speed implant fitted I kept up with the T1 gang easily.

Eve is heading in a direction where getting assets on grid and doing their job very quickly will be key. Trying to setup an offgrid booster on the fly will be time consuming and will probably lose you the capture point. Also, if OGB's got deleted then people wouldn't simply just switch to command ships. They're an absolute SP sink and very expensive. They would use CBC's most of the time and switch to command ships when the need was required.
I see the future of EvE combat being very bloody with Entosis Sov so people won't be that willing to throw very expensive ships into the furnace constantly but, hey, a CBC, sure why not.

I just feel that making gang links simply have a 250-500km bubble of effectiveness would solve a hell of a lot of issues in the game and give CBC's an actual purpose.

They're an SP sink for newbies but an OGB toon will, at worst, be there after BC V. All the LD skills are what kills it the access for most these days. Plus mindlinks are pricey - you're going to want to park that in something super tanky or accept degraded performance.

I get what you're saying, we've used T1 BC with a single link to bolster roams before but in a land of no OGB, people will sink into command ships, it is the logical step and those things tank like monsters whilst retaining decent firepower. At least for anything more than half serious.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#171 - 2015-04-07 11:08:22 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
things I agree on general terms....

Another thing that may help a LOT BC and battleships is a reevaluation of buffer modules sizes. What that means?

Right now the only plates used are 1600 on everything larger than a cruiser and on MOST t2 and t3 cruisers... extenders the same (large ones). That means 3/4 of the content in game on that area is wasted.

Myy view. Increase the fittings AND HP bonus of ALL plates and extenders. Enough that 1600 plates are unfittable with realistic fits on cruiser sized hulls... but giving more HP for the ships that canfit them ( that is a HELP for battleships and BC).

Most cruisers would drop to 800 plates and some to 400 plates (but these as well would add MORE EHP and use more PG). At the end cruiser sized hulls would drop to a place where most use 400 plates ( giving much more EHP than now, closer to what 800 do now) some would use 800 plates ( t2 and t3 ones) giving something between current 800 and 1600 plates. And 1600 plates would be territory of battleships and BC that decide to go heavy on tank. The penalties of mass and signature radius need to be bumped a bit as well.

Same logic applies to shield exnteders, with the addendum that extenders need a modifier to recharge rate.

The end result is that Battleships get a real advantage on EHP when they focus on it, and BC as well. Cruisers sized hulls will lose a BIT of EHP, but not that much since they will move a bit faster than now. That solves a LOT of the Battlecruiser combat capability, because they will be able to go 1600/large and heave good ehp, or go 800/medium and have a lot of spare fittings and more mobility. Battleships on other hand can go dual Large/dual 1600 and get a LOT of EHP.

And MORE CONTENT IN THE GAME BECOMES ONCE AGAIN RELEVANT!

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#172 - 2015-04-07 11:17:23 UTC
My fast warping colaky scout tengu just got doubly ******... Thanks Fozzie!

I hope T3 get some serious love and the design attention they need instead of this disappointing piecemeal development approach Sad
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2015-04-07 11:25:16 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Stuff about tanking modules and an overuse of capital letters

I agree with you here. Module balance is incredibly skewed, especially when it comes to tanking modules. Your suggestion is the most logical ,one caveat, XL-Shield Extenders Please and these can be created by shifting everything to the right and removing micro shield extenders (why do they even exist?).

I also have an issue with the naming of shield extenders and shield boosters/armour reps (in general, I have an inssue with any module in game that has a small/medium/large prefix).
I'd far prefer that they were called something more like:
Small Shield Extender -> 250 GJ Shield Extender
Medium Shield Extender -> 1000 GJ Shield Extender

Similar to armour plates being sized by their thickness not by an arbitrary "Small/Medium/Large".
Xain deSleena
420 Enterprises.
#174 - 2015-04-07 11:31:29 UTC
I was pleased to hear how Gorski Car had put this change to CCP and that you have embraced his idea. With these changes do you mind doing some tests on the differences in align time and warp out with the Drake compared to other T1 battlecruisers. It seems to me that my poor old Drake could never align and warp out quick enough no matter how much I trained my skills up to level 5 for navigation or changed fits to get inertia levels lower. Over the years it just seemed to react the same. Anything that can help my Drake get away quicker will surely make me dust off the cobwebs and roll them out again.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#175 - 2015-04-07 12:12:08 UTC
Xain deSleena wrote:
I was pleased to hear how Gorski Car had put this change to CCP and that you have embraced his idea. With these changes do you mind doing some tests on the differences in align time and warp out with the Drake compared to other T1 battlecruisers. It seems to me that my poor old Drake could never align and warp out quick enough no matter how much I trained my skills up to level 5 for navigation or changed fits to get inertia levels lower. Over the years it just seemed to react the same. Anything that can help my Drake get away quicker will surely make me dust off the cobwebs and roll them out again.

If you suspect bad things coming your way, pre-align. If you absolutely must align quicker, fit a nano/polycarb/aux thruster. Ive found the best way to navigate in a BC is mmjd. Longpointed while aligning to next gate? No problem, just jump out of it.

For me, my drake is setup to kill dedicated scram tackle. Once they die, i moonwalk away from all their longpoints. So even though BCs are not the fastest aligning ships, they can still surprise most small gangs if you fit correctly. At this point, they almost require a MMJD to survive.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#176 - 2015-04-07 12:14:39 UTC
Stitch Kaneland wrote:
At this point, they almost require a MMJD to survive.

It's a good point. I wonder what slashing (and I do mean slashing...or role bonus slashing) the fitting requirements for the MMJD would do.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#177 - 2015-04-07 12:25:57 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Stitch Kaneland wrote:
At this point, they almost require a MMJD to survive.

It's a good point. I wonder what slashing (and I do mean slashing...or role bonus slashing) the fitting requirements for the MMJD would do.

The problem is they still require a slot even if you slash the fitting requirements.
And most BC struggle to give up 2 slots for prop mods. If the MJD/MMJD had some normal prop mod function AND a Jump function, they would be much better mods, even if the AB/MWD were better mods for pure normal drive function.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#178 - 2015-04-07 12:44:42 UTC
I'm not sure, can get some seriously beefy things if one drops gun size.

Harby can sport 70-odd k ehp, 650ish DPS before heat, neut, scram,web, AB and MJD.

Lightening the MJD fitting costs would allow bigger guns (eep!)/MWD possibility/more tank.

Tbh, even getting a MWD on that ship would make it borderline - once it catches a hold of something it WILL kill it and the MMJD forces them to come fight in that range.

One can do similar things with hurricanes.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#179 - 2015-04-07 13:38:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
afkalt wrote:
I'm not sure, can get some seriously beefy things if one drops gun size.

Harby can sport 70-odd k ehp, 650ish DPS before heat, neut, scram,web, AB and MJD.

Lightening the MJD fitting costs would allow bigger guns (eep!)/MWD possibility/more tank.

Tbh, even getting a MWD on that ship would make it borderline - once it catches a hold of something it WILL kill it and the MMJD forces them to come fight in that range.

One can do similar things with hurricanes.

.....and this is my problem with BC's... they do look like very good ships on paper. I will link some of my fits for ridicule but the stats are very good and when you consider that people need to get a scram on you to hold you down they're very scary in that extreme close range.

Quote:

[Prophecy, Brawler HAM]
Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

10MN Microwarpdrive II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Medium Micro Jump Drive

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Assault Missile
[empty high slot]

Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Ogre II x2
Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Garde II x3
Vespa EC-600 x5
Warrior II x5

69k eHP + AAR
600 dps

[Harbinger, Pulse Brawler]
Damage Control II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
Tracking Enhancer II
Heat Sink II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Medium Micro Jump Drive
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II

Focused Medium Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency M
Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I

Medium Energy Burst Aerator II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hammerhead II x5

65k eHP
620 DPS

The main issues I find are trying to use that MJD offensively. To do that you need to be able to lock a target at 100km to have them pre-locked to instantly surprise sex them on landing. To do that requires a large sacrifice of a slot and the minmatar ships simply can't do it.

Shield ships also find it obscenely difficult to fit two prop mods, tackle and tank.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#180 - 2015-04-07 13:50:06 UTC
I've mentioned before I like them in this role (though not all can manage it). The trouble is getting that fight in the first place and that this doesn't scale up into gang war that well at all. A couple of BCs wont turn a fight* because in the current meta they're either ignored and the compatriots killed or the fight just doesn't ever happen, unless you're reinforcing/bridging in/fighting in the home systems or 1J out.

*situations where they would, almost anything else would too.

I'm going back to my earlier point (well...questions) from this thread:

The question is - what role are they supposed to have, are they failing to deliver in it and if so, why?

Just what the hell is a battlecruisers role to be? Booster? Heavy cruiser? Cruiser hunter? Big fat pinyata? Other?