These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Ship for Running missions?

Author
Elseerian Lynks
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-04-06 22:28:39 UTC
Hey.

What's a good ship for running missions around level 2-3? ATM im using a Thorax for level 2 and I did one mission were I basicly got smashed and had to jump in and out about 3-4 times to finish it. Is this normal or do I suck?
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2015-04-06 22:58:24 UTC
Thorax should run level 2s well, level 3s not so much.

How is your ship fit and which mission is giving you trouble?

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Elseerian Lynks
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-04-06 23:27:07 UTC
I cant remember all the fit exactly and im at work, but I have a large shield extender, hybrid rail guns, capacitor recharger, drone damage mod, small armor repairer and strengthener, Omnidirectional mod. and some damage reduction one.
Garmyne Atavuli
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-04-07 00:05:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Garmyne Atavuli
Elseerian Lynks wrote:
I cant remember all the fit exactly and im at work, but I have a large shield extender, hybrid rail guns, capacitor recharger, drone damage mod, small armor repairer and strengthener, Omnidirectional mod. and some damage reduction one.

You are dual tanking, this is bad.
Either fit a dedicated shield tank or a dedicated armor tank, your HP (hitpoints) maybe lower but your EHP (effective hitpoints) will be much higher, right now your ship is wearing a bullet-proof vest made out of tissue paper.

Train up drones and get a Vexor anyway.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-04-07 07:12:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Thorax should be fine, but it needs to be fit to its bonuses (all ships in general should), and definitely not dual-tanked. If you try to add armour, shield and drone damage to what is mostly a hybrid gunship, you're both working against its bonuses and gimping your entire tank.

Try something like:
High: Medium Railguns, try the 150mm or 200mm, I don't think the Thorax can fit an entire rack of 250's and besides the larger guns don't track well

Med: Afterburner, Cap rechargers (or cap booster), tracking computer if you still have space and fitting free for it.

Low: Medium armour repairer (small is for frigates), armour hardeners to match the rats you fight, a damage control and fill the rest of the slots with Magnetic Field Stabalisers.
GordonO
BURN EDEN
#6 - 2015-04-08 00:33:13 UTC
Just get a battle cruiser for lvl3's.

... What next ??

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-04-08 01:28:24 UTC
bc work fine for l1-3. get bs or a bling ship (Gila) for l4.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Auduin Samson
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-04-08 07:55:08 UTC
Thorax is easy mode in L2s if you fit it right. Elena's fit is a great suggestion. Once you get to Level 3s, you'll want to step up to a battlecruiser. With good skills a cruiser will work, but if you're asking I'm going to guess you're rather new to eve :) Without having maxed out your gun and tank skills, a cruiser would get eaten alive in L3s.

When you do get to L3 missions, use a Brutix if you want to stick with guns or a Myrmidon if you want to use drones. Myrms are a bit easier, because with your DPS in drones you can divert most of your fitting to a nigh-unbreakable tank.
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#9 - 2015-04-08 14:07:20 UTC
Svipul works good.

[Svipul, L1-3]

Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1MN Afterburner II
Pithi C-Type Small Shield Booster
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
[Empty High slot]

Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Projectile Burst Aerator I

This is a tight fit. People with low skills may need to use some faction mods to reduce CPU.
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#10 - 2015-04-08 17:33:57 UTC
thorax can work fine even with 250mm rails. very tight on fitting.

for missions I prefer an afterburner and due to slots an armor tank.

you will need a tracking computer with both scan res and opti scripts and try to control the ranges you need to blap stuff before its close, crusers etc are fine but frigs if they get close set drones on them

Medium armor repper too. its been years since i used a thorax for missions so im not going to link a fit, ill let EFT warriors do that, but a thorax with 250's is certainly possible, just not on a shield tank perhaps
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#11 - 2015-04-09 02:50:56 UTC
I agree with the suggestions so far and I have a few thoughts.

Character skills play a huge role in all oif this. You have trouble with level 3's in a Thorax and I run them all the time in a T2 fit Tristan, but then this character is all level 5 skills for that ship and fit. I do not say this to brag only to point out that your characters skill level and especially the specific skills you have or do not have trained can and often are a major part of resolving these type of problems.

Since you are having trouble with lvl 3's I am gong to presume that you are a newer player with a lower skills character and as such I agree with the battle cruiser as a viable option for your level 3's.
If you like drones and have decent drones skills the Myrmidon is an excellent choice.
I am sure the Brutix can be made to work well but I will freely admit that I do not think it is particularly well suited to the demands placed on a mission ship. If there are others around that disagree please step up and offer a fit he might try.

If you can fly ships from other races there are excellent level 3 ships in the Caldari, Amarr and Minmatar line as well.
Daerrol
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-04-09 15:39:13 UTC
What the others said. Fit your tank specific to the rats you will be fighting. NPC Damage types can be found here: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Damage_types

So for instance, against Sansha you would want to fit EM and Thermic hardeners on your Thorax and ignore Explosive and Kinetic hardeners.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#13 - 2015-04-09 19:51:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
It looks like you are focused on Gallente gun ships. So normal progression would be Thorax for lvl 2, Brutix for level 3, and Hyperion for lvl 4. It is not the easiest missioning choice. ATM selectable damage type sentry drone ships are better adapted to general missioning, Vexor-Myrm-Domi. However, the active armor repping line of hybrid gunships can run them too.

Read up EVE-survival site mission guides. And train for a MMJD and then a LMJD. Sniping missions will be much easier than brawling them, even with the rep bonus.

edit- and no you do not suck. It simply takes a while to get good support skills, good weapon skills, and to learn and understand what you are doing. Dual tanking is a common newb mistake.

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-04-09 20:47:59 UTC
there is one level 2 mission that is super hard for no reason
Lil' Brudder Too
Pistols for Pandas
#15 - 2015-04-09 22:04:27 UTC
The trouble you start getting into with 3's and using regular cruisers is the range...frequently lvl 3's will have spawns farther than 100k.

I recomend a good snipy T2 cruisers or T3 to keep the times-frames acceptable.
Atomeon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-04-09 22:18:41 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
there is one level 2 mission that is super hard for no reason

I think you mean this one Mission of Mercy
You must take distance from start. Short range weapons are a sure death.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#17 - 2015-04-10 01:14:36 UTC
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:
The trouble you start getting into with 3's and using regular cruisers is the range...frequently lvl 3's will have spawns farther than 100k.

OK no problem with a snipy T2 cruiser, but I questions the wisdom of recommending a T3 to what appears to be a newer player struggling to get through. Not that a T3 is a bad choice overall, just may not be the best choice or recommendation in this specific situation. Because skills and ISK.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-04-11 05:27:57 UTC
I was running level 3s in a Brutix within a month of starting the game. A full rack of 250mm rails (meta 4 - prototype gauss guns) with a couple of EANM's or rat specific hardeners and a medium repper, propmod and cap rechargers in mid slots with maybe a tracking computer for extra range. As I recall you can get a rail Brutix up above 450 DPS pretty quickly. Use long range ammo for to snipe the frigs and destroyers and then take the tougher targets at 20-30k with antimatter.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-04-11 05:29:19 UTC
Alternatively you could join faction warfare and go clear 40M an hour offensive plexing in a frigate.
Defarge
Outfit 418
Blue Loot Not Included
#20 - 2015-04-11 10:44:43 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:

OK no problem with a snipy T2 cruiser, but I questions the wisdom of recommending a T3 to what appears to be a newer player struggling to get through. Not that a T3 is a bad choice overall, just may not be the best choice or recommendation in this specific situation. Because skills and ISK.

But training to cruiser 5 for t2 cruisers is a good idea? :P
12Next page