These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

If Dust/Legion were MMORTS instead of FPS

Author
Noriko Mai
#21 - 2015-04-06 00:52:24 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:
Noriko Mai wrote:
I'm playing FPS on PC since Q3A and I'm just waiting for Project Legion. I couldn't care less about FPS on potatos.

That's too bad. Cause Legion's never coming out.

it will, eventually, cause dust will only lasst so long on ps3. but as dust is now turning a profit, why kill it

How do you know that it's profitable?

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Serene Repose
#22 - 2015-04-06 01:31:34 UTC
If pigs flew out my butt I'd insist CCP design a ship just like them! Big smile

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#23 - 2015-04-06 04:13:14 UTC
Haven't played any of the recent "battlefield" games, but they had an interesting commander character role that had a top down interface like an rts, that combined the intense fps pvp and rts aspects.

You could call down artillary fire, parachute in supplies, mark targets and do recon for the pvp players.

imo this type of rts interaction would be the closest to combining both of Eve's realtime pvp to an rts.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln

Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#24 - 2015-04-06 10:48:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
Noriko Mai wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:
Noriko Mai wrote:
I'm playing FPS on PC since Q3A and I'm just waiting for Project Legion. I couldn't care less about FPS on potatos.

it will, eventually, cause dust will only lasst so long on ps3. but as dust is now turning a profit, why kill it

Because Hilmar himself said it was. He also said that Dust is a train with no plans to stop, and that eventually it would need to upgrade platforms to maintain its userbase (which is a console audience, therefore PS4). He also and that PROJECT Legion still hadn't found a purpose yet (which is PR talk for its vaporware, kinda like WoD was).

So the long and short of it is, last year Dust was dead and Legion was the logical next step for someone at CCP to take, except for some reason this year Rattati has managed to make it a profitable self-sustaining game. And like CCP usually does, rather than simply port Dust to PC they tried to remake the entire game as something else and ran into the traditional CCP problem of having no idea how the hell to design a new game.

Dust is alive as a Frankenstein creation, and Legion is a headless hydra pulling in several directions and bleeding out. Dust will go to PS4, and Legion will be cancelled just like WoD was -- any assets worth using will likely be moved to PS4 Dust when the hammer officially falls on that decision.
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#25 - 2015-04-06 15:43:31 UTC
Actually they said that last year,
but that's nitpicking.

• All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Ortus Maleficus
Lambent Enterprises
#26 - 2015-04-06 15:47:18 UTC
Tweek Etimua wrote:
Gorongo Frostfyr wrote:
would you/would it:
prefer it?
collide with EVE's design philosophy?
be again too niche?

I wonder if CCP ever considered making a RTS or even a turn-based game connected to the worlds of New Eden.

Not really.

You are like everyone I work with...

Send multiple questions.

Get 1 answer back.

Infuriating.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#27 - 2015-04-06 15:50:27 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:
Noriko Mai wrote:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8263823/playstation-3-exclusive-dust-514-is-now-a-profitable-game-for-ccp

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#28 - 2015-04-06 15:51:12 UTC
I really want legion and the unified eve universe on pc. But if dust is making money, then good for ccp.

Eve For life.

Noriko Mai
#29 - 2015-04-06 16:18:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
DaReaper wrote:
I really want legion and the unified eve universe on pc. But if dust is making money, then good for ccp.

Same here. I was really excited after the presentation last year where they showed one account/character that can be used in multiple games. One universe. Playing valkyrie/dust/legion with your EVE char.

DaReaper wrote:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8263823/playstation-3-exclusive-dust-514-is-now-a-profitable-game-for-ccp[/url]
Quote:
[..]I also asked about Project Legion, the sort of announced game from last year that CCP said may or may not become a product. I was told there was nothing to announce.[..]

*sad panda*
I would play the hell out of a good PC FPS. On the other hand it may become just a BF/CoD clone with microtransactions everywhere and a gameplay for 3 year olds... So maybe it's better that way instead of releasing a shity game.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#30 - 2015-04-06 17:22:09 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
DaReaper wrote:

Same here. I was really excited after the presentation last year where they showed one account/character that can be used in multiple games. One universe. Playing valkyrie/dust/legion with your EVE char.

DaReaper wrote:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8263823/playstation-3-exclusive-dust-514-is-now-a-profitable-game-for-ccp[/url]
Quote:
[..]I also asked about Project Legion, the sort of announced game from last year that CCP said may or may not become a product. I was told there was nothing to announce.[..]

*sad panda*
I would play the hell out of a good PC FPS. On the other hand it may become just a BF/CoD clone with microtransactions everywhere and a gameplay for 3 year olds... So maybe it's better that way instead of releasing a ***** game.

well we will see. never know, they might do it still. but dust will have to go someplace eventually

Eve For life.

Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#31 - 2015-04-07 12:09:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
Noriko its better off this way.

Sure if you don't have a PS4 then getting one would be a minor inconvenience (though not as much as getting any respectable PC rig honestly). But there is nothing stopping them from proper KB/M support other than priorities being ass backwards. It could play pretty much the same exact way, and with the added benefit of virtually no hacking as thats a lot more difficult on a console FPS.

This is probably the ideal scenario, all things considered.

The only real benefit of putting it on PC would be a higher-end graphical experience, and let's be serious here. CCP blueballs us on graphics all the time as it is because they are worried about the low end user being left behind. This would be no different.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#32 - 2015-04-07 12:20:53 UTC
Kalen Pavle wrote:
Mizhir wrote:
Gorongo Frostfyr wrote:

I wonder if CCP ever considered making a RTS or even a turn-based game connected to the worlds of New Eden.

There is already a RTS version of EVE. It is called FCing.

Except your units don't always follow orders.

I dunno, a pathing error causing a lone unit or two to blunder past the entire enemy base, and a couple of larger units getting wedged in a gap and causing a whole group of units to get stuck away from the fight is not too different to some of the more silly antics of inattentive fleet-members. And don't get me started about focus-firing.
Noriko Mai
#33 - 2015-04-07 14:29:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
Kuronaga wrote:
Noriko its better off this way.

Sure if you don't have a PS4 then getting one would be a minor inconvenience (though not as much as getting any respectable PC rig honestly). But there is nothing stopping them from proper KB/M support other than priorities being ass backwards. It could play pretty much the same exact way, and with the added benefit of virtually no hacking as thats a lot more difficult on a console FPS.

This is probably the ideal scenario, all things considered.

Controllers need autoaim to make the game (FPS) fun, because it's impossible to play on even slightly the same level as someone with KB/M. Dust hast KB/M support. But I won't buy a console for one game. I don't even have a freakin TV... You can buy a PC at lower cost as the ps4 and have better performace (see The Potato Masher).
I don't play on my couch eating doritos. I freak the _fuck out if I buy a game, play multiplayer and then have to compete with money spend and not with skill. I don't play f2p because of microtransaction hell and constant assrape if you don't pay. It's just a totaly different audience. To each his own, I guess.

Kuronaga wrote:

The only real benefit of putting it on PC would be a higher-end graphical experience, and let's be serious here. CCP blueballs us on graphics all the time as it is because they are worried about the low end user being left behind. This would be no different.

The cheating argument is kinda poor. Every freakin console game with online mode is full of cheaters.

Graphics are important if they want to become the next BF/CoD clone that fails. Gameplay is important if they want to survive. And I just don't get it what is so hard go the way UT4 does or even cooperate with them to create a side project with EVE connection. That engine and ambitious vision connected to EVE planetary/station/whatever combat. Imagine fighting over your station just by jumping in your Soldier Clone. No need to rely on someone somewhere on a console with no actual connection to EVE. Fight in space, fight on ground, the choice is yours! You and your friends (EVE player or not doesn't matter) fight together for your _shit. How awesome would that be?!?!

Imagine the potential, imagine the possibilities... dream with me Smile

Lux Jinks
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-04-07 16:45:53 UTC

I def do not understand why they didnt bother to put DUST on PC. i would have played the hell out of that game too.. but alas.
MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#35 - 2015-04-07 16:54:56 UTC  |  Edited by: MidnightWyvern
Kalen Pavle wrote:
Mizhir wrote:
Gorongo Frostfyr wrote:

There is already a RTS version of EVE. It is called FCing.

Except your units don't always follow orders.

Also Dust wouldn't have failed so horribly if they'd have just put it on PC.

That would have been completely counter to the point of the project.

Also, myself and around 2500-3000 others (average PCU) are still playing the game. Right now I'm trying to organize all the streamers to broadcast the game during the Faction Warfare LP event going on from the 9th to the 16th, and myself and some friends will be streaming Dust while we also stream an Orbital Strike support fleet in EVE so you can see the interaction in real time.

So while the game is hardly what CCP wanted it to be, it's not quite dead yet. The life support is still going strong. Blink

This is my thread, for refence:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=417264&find=unread

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#36 - 2015-04-07 16:59:37 UTC
Lux Jinks wrote:

I def do not understand why they didnt bother to put DUST on PC. i would have played the hell out of that game too.. but alas.

because they say it as a chance to make more money and do soemthing no one else had done. and Reasons.

it doesn't matter, dust is now profitable, ccp will do whatever they want. Either play dust or don;t.

Eve For life.

MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#37 - 2015-04-07 17:08:48 UTC  |  Edited by: MidnightWyvern
DaReaper wrote:
Lux Jinks wrote:

because they say it as a chance to make more money and do soemthing no one else had done. and Reasons.

it doesn't matter, dust is now profitable, ccp will do whatever they want. Either play dust or don;t.

They wanted to bring a group of players into New Eden that would normally never be able to experience it, and if it weren't for the criminal level of mismanagement it suffered under the old Executive Producer CCP Jian - who no longer works for CCP Shanghai - it would have been far more of a success.

It was further hurt last year by the "Dust 514 Keynote" being an announcement of the game being dropped in favor of a PC title, which is all anyone who watched the stream could see because the Roundtables where topics such as character progress transfer were discussed were not streamed.

I watched many of the well-established Dust Corporations dissolve and vanish overnight. The one I was a part of, composed primarily of players of the old PS3 title M.A.G., was disbanded. My CEO sold all the Districts we owned and all the assets, paid each of us 300 million ISK, and then left the game.

In what seems like a rather cruel twist of fate, rather than some new game coming out and stealing Dust's thunder, it was CCP repeatedly trying to drive the nail into the coffin.

Now CCP Rattati is leading a very small team of developers and releasing regular fixes to the game, and it has actually been improving over the last few months. I recently got back into it and have been having quite a bit of fun.

CCP Hilmar's statement at the start of FanFest 2015 has instilled a sense of hope back into those of us who remain, and you can see it and hear it when you go on the forums or just hop into squads via the Squad Finder. That's part of why I want to organize the dual-stream I mentioned to show people that we're still here and we aren't leaving anytime soon.

Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#38 - 2015-04-07 17:13:03 UTC
I don't play DUST (would love to but not worth the money)
but I feel happy that the story evolved this way and you all
can shoot eachother happily in the face.

With a smile ...
... while it explodes ...
... and brain spread around everywhere. :)

Well ... maybe. ^_^

*snickers xD*
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Noriko Mai
#39 - 2015-04-07 17:20:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
Lux Jinks wrote:

Back then they had a "EVE Everywehere" strategie. Trying to not touch the PC segment in fear of loosing EVE subs to thier new products. Then they realised it's bullshit and have the new "EVE United" strategie.

https://youtu.be/JKafw3dUT4Y?list=PLldrBIEnJ5hMIXwk_e8-VZb0EldJqXmg_&t=3579
This is actually a really interesting talk from Hilmar!

MidnightWyvern wrote:

It was further hurt last year by the "Dust 514 Keynote" being an announcement of the game being dropped in favor of a PC title, which is all anyone who watched the stream could see because the Roundtables where topics such as character progress transfer were discussed were not streamed.

Oh I remember that Big smileGreat times
Sadly the ISDs censored my scientific analysis of the dust community. Here's a small hint: A LOT of death threats. Threats to shoot everyone in CCP office. etc...

MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#40 - 2015-04-07 17:24:33 UTC  |  Edited by: MidnightWyvern
Noriko Mai wrote:
Lux Jinks wrote:

Back then they had a "EVE Everywehere" strategie. Trying to not touch the PC segment in fear of loosing EVE subs to thier new products. Then they realised it's bullshit and have the new "EVE United" strategie.

https://youtu.be/JKafw3dUT4Y?list=PLldrBIEnJ5hMIXwk_e8-VZb0EldJqXmg_&t=3579

However, you noticed there was no mention of that this year, and in fact that announcement was referred to as "premature", and part of why CCP had a totally different tone this year.

At this year's FanFest they stuck with the near future instead of far-off ideas. There's also CCP Hilmar stating that there was nothing new to say about Project Legion, and the company announcing that Dust 514 is now profitable on its own.

I believe that trying to bring console players into New Eden was an inspired move that was messed up by gross mismanagement. I personally believe that having the two games on two different platforms with the ability to work together across them is an excellent step toward stuffing this "PC Master Race" nonsense.

We all play games because we like games so let's just play games and stop acting superior.
Eve Solecist wrote:
I don't play DUST (would love to but not worth the money)
but I feel happy that the story evolved this way and you all
can shoot eachother happily in the face.

With a smile ...
... while it explodes ...
... and brain spread around everywhere. :)

Well ... maybe. ^_^

*snickers xD*

Being able to do that while having an influence on EVE is one of the best parts of the game to me. Big smile

I just wish Planetary Conquest was in Regions other than Molden Heath so that the POS bonuses that Dust Districts give and that hardly anyone in EVE knows about could be better utilized without risk of getting knocked over by Gangster's Paradise and others who frequent that area.

Previous page123Next page