These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Question: Will EVE ever die?

First post
Author
NickyYo
modro
Northern Coalition.
#1 - 2011-12-24 23:48:46 UTC
The game has been alive same amount of time as WoW and that game is starting to die.
My question is will EVE be here for another 10 years what do you think?

T' Elk
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2011-12-24 23:54:54 UTC
Probably not. But if it ever comes to dying, all the good players will have been long gone.

~Badposter since FOOOOREEEEEVAAAAAR~ I come back after 2 years to THIS? ~Now 4 years apparently

IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69
Crouching Woman Hidden Cucumber
#3 - 2011-12-24 23:55:10 UTC
Not at the way the economy is inflating atm.

If they add some hefty ISK sinks and SP sinks it could probably last a long time as its so player driven.

If not 10 years more maybe, but once everyone can easily afford all but the best equipment and have almost all relevant skills to 5 there will be a lot less appeal in the game.
Eladanus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2011-12-24 23:57:17 UTC
Hard to compare them really. WoW has so many more players than EVE, so even if people say it's starting to die it still has many many times more players than EVE.

From what I gather the EVE player base goes up and down, but unless CCP messes something big up again soon I can't see things changing for a while. Plenty of new players seem to be joining EVE anyway, judging by the help channel at least.

10 years on.. who knows? Perhaps even WoW wont be around in 10 years.
Roh Voleto
Doomheim
#5 - 2011-12-24 23:58:43 UTC
Yes, EVE will die. Everything dies.

No, the game we are playing now will not be around in ten years. But, I hope there will still be a product called EVE Online, and I also hope that it will be something most of us will still be able to enjoy.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#6 - 2011-12-25 00:01:18 UTC
Games can hemorrhage a lot before they die.

You will know for certain when EVE is dying when Chribba leaves.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Roh Voleto
Doomheim
#7 - 2011-12-25 00:05:36 UTC
I hope Chribba's obsession with EVE will die long before the game. Both, for his, and for EVE's sake.

Of course, this is just my own obsession talking.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#8 - 2011-12-25 01:13:33 UTC
Cheer up for on this day 2000 years ago a savior was born, we shouldnt be talking about death.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Red Teufel
Calamitous-Intent
#9 - 2011-12-25 01:20:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Red Teufel
depends on CCPs actions. if they don't keep adapting keep improving or making a whole new eve game. EvE will eventually die. so far they have been ahead of their time. when dust comes out and it's a huge hit you will see EvE in its prime. Let us hope they keep up their creative ideas to keep this game going for years to come.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#10 - 2011-12-25 01:21:28 UTC
NickyYo wrote:
The game has been alive same amount of time as WoW and that game is starting to die.
My question is will EVE be here for another 10 years what do you think?

Not sure how its starting to die, as its profits are up (and astronomical).

Eve will be here as long as it can.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#11 - 2011-12-25 01:28:23 UTC
Yep, it will.

When it is no longer profitable, it will die.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

NickyYo
modro
Northern Coalition.
#12 - 2011-12-25 01:48:31 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Cheer up for on this day 2000 years ago a savior was born, we shouldnt be talking about death.

I'm an atheist, i see Christmas differently.

Dirk Magnum
Spearhead Endeavors
#13 - 2011-12-25 01:54:07 UTC
Eve will never die, but it will kill the players involved with it. That happened to me once. Sad

"LIVE FAST DIE." - traditional Minmatar ethos [citation needed]

mkint
#14 - 2011-12-25 06:14:05 UTC
EVE will die when it becomes self evident that EVE is for RMTers. EVE is only ever 6 months from dying, as that's the average turnover rate for new players. When CCP can learn how to upgrade "6 months" to "lifetime" then it can be said EVE will never die. Of course, the CCPers who have the power to extend the life of EVE seem intent on driving it into the ground, but I'm not in the mood to bash the dev decisions that prioritize the profitability of RMTing mega-alliances over the good of the game, but just that there has been zero indication from above that the RMT-loving devs will ever change.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Jonathan Ferguson
JC Ferguson and Son Ltd
Ferguson Alliance
#15 - 2011-12-25 06:24:35 UTC
T' Elk wrote:
Probably not. But if it ever comes to dying, all the good players will have been long gone.

Actually, they all left and are waiting for me to join them. I'm the ghost of EVE past.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#16 - 2011-12-25 06:27:49 UTC
Only if they pull a incarna sized screw up 2.0 followed by 3.0 and 4.0.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Marduk Nibiru
Chaos Delivery Systems
#17 - 2011-12-25 06:43:17 UTC
NickyYo wrote:
rodyas wrote:

I'm an atheist, i see Christmas differently.

Then you should be able to appreciate this: entropy is universal.

BTW, pretty sure EvE existed first. ;)
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2011-12-25 06:50:58 UTC
rodyas wrote:

Yes! We shouldn't be talking about death on the day that the Buddha was born

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Valei Khurelem
#19 - 2011-12-25 06:54:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
As long as CCP don't take the SWG route and say, put something like the Nex Store in permanently, EVE Online will as much as I'm in a love/hate thing with the game, continue to thrive, that's the way of sandboxes, even if the devs stop development ( Which I doubt they will considering how it's sustained them for so long ) there are still people who simply enjoy messing around in the universe they created.

Just looked at Morrowind and Oblivion, still quite a few people playing it because of all the mods that have been put out and how even exploring can be just fun by itself, speaking of which I like exploring in EVE, I just need to develop some patience for it and get used to the damn interface.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Nyx Na'gorg
Doomheim
#20 - 2011-12-25 06:59:28 UTC
123Next page