These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[April] Battlecruiser Warp Speed and Warp Rig Tweaks

First post First post
Author
Mario Putzo
#81 - 2015-04-03 12:52:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
baltec1 wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

Oh it most certainly does to the vast vast vast majority of the player base....

If BCs were at all "useful" or "good" in this game, then they would be the most common ships flown just like they used to be when they were the best bang for the buck...because that is how this game works. Cruisers are the best bang for the buck currently, and it is why they are far and away the most used hull size.

Numbers don't lie, you can come up with any niche fits you want, none of them will break the mold because the mechanics don't allow it (see your cane vs caracal). Your Mega certainly didn't.

Cost means nothing because we no matter how expensive it is we can afford it. You are never going to get 5 times the performance for five times the cost.

Right now the single most dangerous ship in my book is the golem, yet you don't see lots of them flying around. The single most destructive anti-frig ship is the rattlesnake yet you never see it being used for such a role. BC are in good shape the problem is pilots such as yourself look at EFT and want to find excuses to not fly them. You refuse to take the time to learn to fly these ships and base your entire argument on EFT numbers rather than in game experience. The real problem here is that nobody tries anything anymore, you just give up and demand that CCP make everything the same.

Well opinions are like assholes, and everyone has one.

The only thing that matters is numbers...fact is Cruiser hulls are far and away the most popular ships in the game right now, because of the bang you get for your buck. Period. Just as it was when BC's were the most popular ships in the game.
Unfortunately this impact is most heavily felt on the BS end of things because their natural prey BC's are heavily underused, for several reason, most importantly cost inefficiency.

As I said outside of a few niche scenarios BCs just do not stack up against the price point of cruisers in ACTUAL usage. For someone who claims to not be "blinded" by EFT, your opinion is based outside of actual reality of usage, looking to paper instead of the mechanical interactions with the ships. (Case in point your 800 Paper DPS Cane whose real DPS against the 200DPS Caracal is going to be under 100DPS without Drones, and barely enough to bleed through the passive shield tank of the Caracal)

At the end of the day, there is almost no reason whatsoever to undock in a BC, because there are Cruisers that can accomplish the same functional goal, for a fraction of the price, and the only reason you would fly one is because you WANT to. This is a top down game, you should know this, and because of the nature of that BC's go unused because they simply are not effective at their price point by comparison.

3-4 years ago we had a nice game of rock>paper>scissors. With Cruisers>BCs>BS. For the past couple years one of those links has steadily been in decline, resulting in such great situations as Ishtars Online to which the communities response was "Please nerf CCP", instead of, let me get in the ship that is supposedly designed in being anti-cruiser hell some folks skipped BC's entirely and jumped to BS to deal with Cruisers.... Obviously CCP sees there is an issue with BC's or they wouldn't have made a tweak on them, if everything is fine and dandy as you say, then the guys with all the hard numbers wouldn't be tweaking them no?

Now whether this change actually impacts usage is another thing, I don't think it will but hey...i also have an *******.

(unrelated, I agree the Golem is bad ass, but you don't see them in numbers A) Its skill intensive, B) Its expensive for most folks, not everyone has mounds of passive moongoo backing them, or buys PLEX to whenever they want more ISK. That is the reality of the game)
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#82 - 2015-04-03 13:04:39 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Mario Putzo wrote:

As I said outside of a few niche scenarios BCs just do not stack up against the price point of cruisers in ACTUAL usage.

That just your personal choice. Again price is no barrier to most people, I myself fly a 2 billion isk ship in harpy fleet. Why? Because why not?
Mario Putzo wrote:

At the end of the day, there is almost no reason whatsoever to undock in a BC.

There is no reason to not undock them either. Again, this is your choice.

Mario Putzo wrote:

3-4 years ago we had a nice game of rock>paper>scissors.

Oh god no. Before teircide the vast bulk of ships were useless. We have never had as many options as we do today.

Mario Putzo wrote:

(unrelated, I agree the Golem is bad ass, but you don't see them in numbers A) Its skill intensive, B) Its expensive for most folks, not everyone has mounds of passive moongoo backing them, or buys PLEX to whenever they want more ISK. That is the reality of the game)

Skills are no barrier. This game is over a decade old, plenty of people can fly them.

Cost is no barrier. 2-3 bil is nothing these days and you do not need moon goo or plex to get it.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#83 - 2015-04-03 13:06:49 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Skills are no barrier. This game is over a decade old, plenty of people can fly them.

But it is. Blink Unless one enjoys a game where the same 7500 people shuffle around with no new blood coming in. vOv
Mario Putzo
#84 - 2015-04-03 13:13:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
baltec1 wrote:

Cost is no barrier. 2-3 bil is nothing these days and you do not need moon goo or plex to get it.

"Hey Guys i should be the measuring stick for balance, I generate a lot of ISK and have over a decades worth of SP, Nothing matters to me, so it shouldn't matter to you either!"

Get real guy.

The majority of EVE don't share these traits...if you believe otherwise take your pants off your head they may be cutting off blood flow.

Fact is, BCs are not worth the money in the vast majority of circumstances. You can spin it however you want but using your own personal situation as a measuring stick is a pretty weak argument.
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#85 - 2015-04-03 13:41:36 UTC
I might finally be able to make my talos keep up with the t3 fleet.

Slepnir, Yaaaaaay.

This helps address one of the battle cruisers biggest issues, keeping up with cruisers.

Battleships I get, but the bc really got smacked with the warp speed changes.

Can bring Em back for some more wormhole work

Yaay!!!!

1Robert McNamara1
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#86 - 2015-04-03 14:53:15 UTC
Good stuff, both of those needed some love.

I kind of don't like the signature penalty. But I can get over it.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#87 - 2015-04-03 14:53:56 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

"Hey Guys i should be the measuring stick for balance, I generate a lot of ISK and have over a decades worth of SP, Nothing matters to me, so it shouldn't matter to you either!"

Get real guy.

The majority of EVE don't share these traits...if you believe otherwise take your pants off your head they may be cutting off blood flow.

Fact is, BCs are not worth the money in the vast majority of circumstances. You can spin it however you want but using your own personal situation as a measuring stick is a pretty weak argument.

Have you never interacted with Baltec before? He dismisses every argument in this fashion. Hes a nullsec scrublord who claims lots of things, but very rarely actually flies what he posts. He seems to think unbonused acs project out to 30km and apply perfectly to anything. Just be prepared for a comeback of how he made the baltec mega and forced thousands of f1 warriors to use it.

However, one thing to point out is that BCs are on par (cost wise) with most t1 cruiser fits if you factor in insurance. My drake fits are about 30m after insurance. Most t1 cruisers fit up around 20-30m.

Ive been flying bcs a lot lately. The biggest reason is MMJD. That module alone, is the only thing keeping bcs viable in a solo/small gang role. It is the holy grail in countering the kite meta and offsetting bcs slow speed.

Id like to see CCP expand on the MMJD on bcs alil more. Cooldown reduction maybe. It would also be nice to see a minor HP buff across the board, but thats wishful thinking. Regardless, ill still fly bcs and get easy fights with cheap fits.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#88 - 2015-04-03 15:26:37 UTC
Phoenix Jones wrote:
I might finally be able to make my talos keep up with the t3 fleet.

Slepnir, Yaaaaaay.

This helps address one of the battle cruisers biggest issues, keeping up with cruisers.

Battleships I get, but the bc really got smacked with the warp speed changes.

Can bring Em back for some more wormhole work

Phoenix dear, there are more battlecruiser hulls than your 2000dps ubar-gank-boat with 5 x-large asbs.

I believe it would be best if CCP would increase the baseprice of battlecruisers and battleships by 100% and decrease the ehp a bit, let's say 200% to really make them worthwhile.

That way we can almost be sure that we never fly them ever again.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#89 - 2015-04-03 15:41:08 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:

So most eve players are less than a year old?

As for the isk, you can make 80mil/hr on level 3 missions in highsec at just 4 months old.
Mario Putzo
#90 - 2015-04-03 15:56:24 UTC
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

Id like to see CCP expand on the MMJD on bcs alil more. Cooldown reduction maybe. It would also be nice to see a minor HP buff across the board, but thats wishful thinking. Regardless, ill still fly bcs and get easy fights with cheap fits.

I like the idea of a MMJD role bonus on BC's. They definitely make the ships more enjoyable to use. I don't think HP bonus would be good, Id rather see a slight reduction in Sig Radius so they don't eat nearly full damage from Larges and Mediums. Something on the lines of 10-15% would be nice.

Heck Id say instead of a warp change they do the sig radius change...then if people want to warp faster they can use these new rigs and take a sig radius penalty essentially putting their sigs back where they are now.

Barring that maybe tweaking the tracking mod value for BC's...kind of ridiculous they eat damage like they do from 2 weapon tiers. If CCP wants to make the relationship like Frigs/Destroyers then BC's need to take less damage from ship sizes above them like Destroyer do from Mediums.
Mario Putzo
#91 - 2015-04-03 16:00:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

As for the isk, you can make 80mil/hr on level 3 missions in highsec at just 4 months old.

Goooooooo Hyperbole!

I made almost 8B yesterday and I didn't even have to log in. #winning.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2015-04-03 16:29:47 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
baltec1 wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

No, you can't. They won't have the skills nor the faction standing required for this. Sitting in the Ishtar isn't the same as actually being able to use it to an acceptable standard. T2 sentries are almost a month alone.

Plus it's been nerfed twice since those numbers.

He has a point - there are loads of people now who missed the dessie/BC split(!!!!) and a serious PvP golem pilot is a very intensive train down a pretty isolated path as far as PvP goes. 'Most' people aren't going to chase marauders V unless they're carebears. It's the kind of thing you do when there's not much more day to day stuff left.
Krell Kroenen
The Devil's Shadow
#93 - 2015-04-03 20:32:24 UTC
I don't see the warp speed changes to BC's increasing their use all that much if at all, but it will ease some of the discomfort of using them in the niches that they fill now for those that do use them.

If CCP intends to increase the use of BC and or BB's to a more common level then they are going to have to do more than these changes. But if they are happy with Cruisers online then they are on the right track I suppose.*shrugs*

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#94 - 2015-04-03 21:11:36 UTC
Battlecruisers still suck.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#95 - 2015-04-03 21:54:36 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Stitch Kaneland wrote:

I like the idea of a MMJD role bonus on BC's. They definitely make the ships more enjoyable to use. I don't think HP bonus would be good, Id rather see a slight reduction in Sig Radius so they don't eat nearly full damage from Larges and Mediums. Something on the lines of 10-15% would be nice.

Heck Id say instead of a warp change they do the sig radius change...then if people want to warp faster they can use these new rigs and take a sig radius penalty essentially putting their sigs back where they are now.

Barring that maybe tweaking the tracking mod value for BC's...kind of ridiculous they eat damage like they do from 2 weapon tiers. If CCP wants to make the relationship like Frigs/Destroyers then BC's need to take less damage from ship sizes above them like Destroyer do from Mediums.

all bc's do need a sig reduction, if they want the frig- dessie cruiser-bc relationship than a closer sig too cruisers is mandatory.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#96 - 2015-04-03 21:57:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

More News at 11.

The benefits BC give over cruiser equivalents, or BS over BC/cruisers is linear and negligible, while the price isn't.

Battleships at 200m is a joke. Awhile back, tier 1 and 2 at 60-110 mil was bearable by the market.

Nowadays? Cruisers Online.

Harvey James wrote:

all bc's do need a sig reduction

That alone won't help.

To become really BATTLEcruisers, effective turrets have to be raised to 12 at the very least, after bonuses. That's 30% damage increase from today's levels.

Then the new BC-BS gap would put a final nail in the BATTLEship coffin. vOv Since nothing will be done to either BC or BS, the solution is posted below.

TL;DR: Cruisers Online.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#97 - 2015-04-03 22:07:03 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

More News at 11.

The benefits BC give over cruiser equivalents, or BS over BC/cruisers is linear and negligible, while the price is isn't.

Battleships at 200m is a joke. Awhile back, tier 1 and 2 at 60-110 mil was bearable by the market.

I think we need at least double price tag for all t1 cruisers.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Mario Putzo
#98 - 2015-04-03 22:08:43 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

More News at 11.

The benefits BC give over cruiser equivalents, or BS over BC/cruisers is linear and negligible, while the price is isn't.

Harvey James wrote:

all bc's do need a sig reduction

That alone won't help.

To become really BATTLEcruisers, effective turrets have to be raised to 12 at the very least, after bonuses. That's 30% damage increase from today's levels.

Then the new BC-BS gap would put a final nail in the BATTLEship coffin. vOv Since nothing will be done to either BC or BS, the solution is posted below.

TL;DR: Cruisers Online.

Doesn't help BS are shite against cruisers either, Need the BCs to eat cruiser, so the BS can eat BCs and Cruiser can eat the BS...a healthy food chain.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#99 - 2015-04-03 22:11:29 UTC
Tiddle Jr wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

More News at 11.

I think we need at least double price tag for all t1 cruisers.

Price-fixing is not the most optimal solution, and there's a danger of breaking the market/people not doing PVP at all, or scaling down to frigs.

Ship use by (arch)type: http://i.imgur.com/z4ynWV9.png

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#100 - 2015-04-03 22:14:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Mario Putzo wrote:

Doesn't help BS are shite against cruisers either, Need the BCs to eat cruiser, so the BS can eat BCs and Cruiser can eat the BS...a healthy food chain.

Used to be that way.

Then many factors pushed battleships, primarily, to the rubbish bin. Carriers, Dreads, Bombers, Cost, T3, prevalence of T2-trained pilots, Ishtars specifically, now warp speed.

Etc.

Roll

Mein poast with a full list as to why it happened - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5629976#post5629976

Discussion should be continued in the above thread - "Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0" Smile