These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wardec matters once again

First post First post
Author
Kaldi Tsukaya
Deveron Shipyards and Technology
Citizen's Star Republic
#201 - 2015-04-03 08:35:57 UTC
I hear "risk vs reward" constantly referred to. You have to also factor "time vs reward" into any proper argument.
Bonuses quite commonly decrease time. Disrupting your opponents can increase their time. Investing your time can bring greater rewards (by researching blueprints for example). Devoting time to your skills is obvious. You can spend time to either increase your rewards, or to reduce you risks.

Time is inherently valuable, yet never seems to make it into the debate...
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2015-04-03 08:58:24 UTC
Kaldi Tsukaya wrote:
I hear "risk vs reward" constantly referred to. You have to also factor "time vs reward" into any proper argument.
Bonuses quite commonly decrease time. Disrupting your opponents can increase their time. Investing your time can bring greater rewards (by researching blueprints for example). Devoting time to your skills is obvious. You can spend time to either increase your rewards, or to reduce you risks.

Agree entirely on this point. It is not just risk-reward but rather effort-risk-reward balance that matters

Hisec requires high effort and good co-ordination or higher player skills to make lots of isk. In null you just need a good moon rented in a secured sov area to make billions. The equivalent isk takes much more effort (in general) in hisec. If any activity returns too much reward then the effort required should be increased rather than potential income reduced. Then the total effort required means more players required for the task or a talented multi boxer (which I have no problem with). Hisec structures should reduce the effort required by a hisec player in return fo higher risk from war.

Askilled player who puts in the effort should always be able to do well in hisec but nowhere near as easily or well as a focused group or someone operating in lower sec areas.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#203 - 2015-04-03 09:11:06 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Does this apply to those CODE members who only ever undock their gank alt from an NPC station for long enough to warp to a target, gank it and then dock up before switching back to their neutral scanning alt?

No, and I'll explain why.

If you are neg ten, the game basically forces you to use an alt for that, since any scanning ship you could use would be destroyed by facpo before you could get a lock.

Playing in a way literally necessitated by the game? No, I don't think that qualifies as an exploit, nor asking too much.

The second point of consideration for this is that you are talking about two separate characters, whereas I am discussing merely one. For two characters to have two characters worth of consideration is rather normal, but for one to have both at once is not.

They honestly don't even compare.

So you have to use an alt to scan because your brave pirate has to be safely docked for minimal exposure. Yet nothing in the game 'forces'gankers to have those alts in NPC corps yet they use this 'cake' and then pas it to their pirate alt (safely docked in an NPC station of course) to eat it too.

If the changes you propose came into effect I would also suggest that pilots with lower than -4.9 should only be able to dock in player built and owned stations (thus wardeccable). Similarly a pilot should only be able to use a ship scanning module if they are in a player corp (thus wardeccable) and should be made suspect by scanning a ship (because they shouldn't be able to gather intel without risk right?).

If you want every indy player to be wardeccable if they want ti make real money then the exact same argument should apply to gankers too. I exclude wardec corps intentionally there as they are specifically putting themselves up for fight.
Madd Adda
#204 - 2015-04-03 09:19:51 UTC
Kaldi Tsukaya wrote:

very good point here, bravo. High sec is generally a lot of time invested for little to show for.

just today I took about an hour or so to do a high sec DED site (4/10) and got 3-4 mill total for the rats, and 3 mill for the Corelum C-Type Energized Thermic Membrane. Do you think the lack of risk was worth the reward?

Carebear extraordinaire

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#205 - 2015-04-03 10:18:09 UTC

So you have to use an alt to scan because your brave pirate has to be safely docked for minimal exposure.

That's putting it mildly.

Quote:

Yet nothing in the game 'forces'gankers to have those alts in NPC corps yet they use this 'cake' and then pas it to their pirate alt (safely docked in an NPC station of course) to eat it too.

And it's two different characters with different situations, not one with both. Your refusal to recognize the difference just shows that you know you're wrong on this one, you just don't want to admit it.

If had done this with two different people, you'd have nothing to say.

Quote:
Similarly a pilot should only be able to use a ship scanning module if they are in a player corp (thus wardeccable) and should be made suspect by scanning a ship (because they shouldn't be able to gather intel without risk right?).

This is the part where you get laughed at for suggesting absurdities that would harm non gankers more than gankers.

Furthermore, you're still utterly failing at understanding the distinction between an income generating activity and one that is inherently neutral.

If you want to make use probes of any kind a suspect act, be my guest, I'll harvest people doing the exploration sites all day long for free kills.

Quote:

If you want every indy player to be wardeccable if they want ti make real money then the exact same argument should apply to gankers too. I exclude wardec corps intentionally there as they are specifically putting themselves up for fight.

The exact same argument does apply to gankers already, they are free targets even without a war. Are you just rambling at this point, desperately searching for something resembling an argument?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#206 - 2015-04-03 10:19:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Does this apply to those CODE members who only ever undock their gank alt from an NPC station for long enough to warp to a target, gank it and then dock up before switching back to their neutral scanning alt?

No, and I'll explain why.

If you are neg ten, the game basically forces you to use an alt for that, since any scanning ship you could use would be destroyed by facpo before you could get a lock.

Playing in a way literally necessitated by the game? No, I don't think that qualifies as an exploit, nor asking too much.

The second point of consideration for this is that you are talking about two separate characters, whereas I am discussing merely one. For two characters to have two characters worth of consideration is rather normal, but for one to have both at once is not.

They honestly don't even compare.

So you have to use an alt to scan because your brave pirate has to be safely docked for minimal exposure. Yet nothing in the game 'forces'gankers to have those alts in NPC corps yet they use this 'cake' and then pas it to their pirate alt (safely docked in an NPC station of course) to eat it too.

If the changes you propose came into effect I would also suggest that pilots with lower than -4.9 should only be able to dock in player built and owned stations (thus wardeccable). Similarly a pilot should only be able to use a ship scanning module if they are in a player corp (thus wardeccable) and should be made suspect by scanning a ship (because they shouldn't be able to gather intel without risk right?).

See also - neutral bumping pirate battleships.

Re: -10: Apparently warping around looking for victims is not an option.

This was why I had nothing but time for solstice project when he was doing his -10 thing a couple of years back - no neutral warp ins, just gadding about flashy red old school style, no hiding, no cowardice.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#207 - 2015-04-03 10:25:50 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

See also - neutral bumping pirate battleships.

If you want to make bumping into another player a suspect act, by all means, do so.

It would be hilarious.

Quote:

Re: -10: Apparently warping around looking for victims is not an option.

Not if you want to pick someone off in a mission pocket or a deadspace site, obviously. That's what we were talking about in the first place,.

Quote:

This was why I had nothing but time for solstice project when he was doing his -10 thing a couple of years back - no neutral warp ins, just gadding about flashy red old school style, no hiding, no cowardice.

Solstice Project used off grid boosts and neutral scouts.

If you carebears really want to go on a "alts shouldn't exist" crusade, take it somewhere else, this thread is about wardecs.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#208 - 2015-04-03 10:30:58 UTC
Carebear....haha, ok champ.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#209 - 2015-04-03 10:32:38 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Carebear....haha, ok champ.

*shrugs*

If the boot fits. You're taking their side on the issue, which is also flagrantly off topic.

The point still stands, if you want to go on a crusade to get rid of alts, go do it elsewhere.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#210 - 2015-04-03 10:41:42 UTC
You're the one that said the game "forces" you to use an alt at -10. It doesn't. You use them to avoid the consequences of your actions/without the risk or difficulty associated with your status, something you seem quite passionate about not being healthy for the game.

/shrug. I don't take sides, I just call it as I see it and you appear to be contradicting yourself.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#211 - 2015-04-03 10:44:57 UTC

What is wrong with playing the game as a cowardly pirate who runs from the first sign of opposition and uses the protection of the NPC corp to increase his safety? Such a villain adds depth to the game and give "good" players something to fight against (AKA content). Besides, you don't seem to be calling the carebears who do the exact same thing (neutral haulers, scouts, etc.) as "not brave" or are calling them out for having it both ways.

While the scanning thing is inane - there are plenty of uses for scanners outside of ganking and it is no where close to a hostile act - I am not totally adverse to the first suggestion. It might generate more content, but the problem is that it will negatively impact on a large swath of players who participate in more "traditional" piracy in lowsec. Perhaps these "pirate POSes" could give a bonus to the gankers (shorter Criminal timer?) so that they would voluntarily use them and expose themselves to "white knights" seeking retribution. But ultimately, the -10 restrictions are currently so harsh that no outlaw can give a "gudfight" to a white knight even if they wanted to as the faction police will get involved. It's probably best to leave gankers as rats that scurry out from the darkness and strike the odd unsuspecting target than to elevate them to "supervillain" status with bases and the ability to defend themselves.

As was said, wardecs are irrelevant to gankers as they are already freely shootable to all. They operate under war conditions all the time, and I might add, lose ships to white knights regularly. What more do you want other than preventing them from operating at all in the first place?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#212 - 2015-04-03 12:51:59 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
If you want to make bumping into another player a suspect act, by all means, do so.
It would be hilarious.

Yes, as everyone dies on the Jita undock...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#213 - 2015-04-03 12:55:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
It would be hilarious.

Yes, as everyone dies on the Jita undock...

It's an example of why everything they claim to want, they should not get.

Much like the "no one with negative sec status should be able to dock" idiocy. Congratulations, you just killed lowsec deader than it already was. (and you basically deleted every entity in NPC nullsec, what's more)

They're not here to do anything but ruin the game for anyone who actually plays it, in favor of turning this once wonderful MMO into a glorified Facebook game.

And Apartheid up there is front and center about trying to ruin the game.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#214 - 2015-04-03 13:01:41 UTC
No-one said you don't belong in high sec, you do seem to like making things up though.

What I was hinting at was when you make your bed, don't cry like a little girl when someone suggests you have to lie in it.

It amuses me no end when people say "I need to be an alt at -10", "It's impossible to be -10 on a main" or "I need an alts service at -10" when what they actually mean is "I need to use an alt to live as an outlaw in highsec in order to mitigate almost all the consequences of my actions". Then proceed to lecture other people about consequences.

Politicians are more genuine and honest individuals Lol
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#215 - 2015-04-03 13:04:36 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
No-one said you don't belong in high sec, you do seem to like making things up though.

What I was hinting at was when you make your bed, don't cry like a little girl when someone suggests you have to lie in it.

You say, while defending dec dodging.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.

Quote:

It amuses me no end when people say "I need to be an alt at -10", "It's impossible to be -10 on a main" or "I need an alts service at -10" when what they actually mean is "I need to use an alt to live as an outlaw in highsec in order to mitigate almost all the consequences of my actions". Then proceed to lecture other people about consequences.

It doesn't surprise me that you're ignoring the obvious differences there, or the order of magnitude in difference between the mechanical consequences of the two actions.

But hey, no need to have an internally consistent viewpoint! Gotta advance that narrative, facts be damned.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#216 - 2015-04-03 13:29:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Getting the topic back on-track... There needs to be a mechanism in place to prevent abuse on both sides of a WarDec. Here are a few suggestions for consideration:

• When a corporation is WarDec'd, is is unable to disband
• In addition to the WarDec fee, the attacking corporation pays an additional fee based on the respective difference in size, up to a maximum of 400%. We'll call this the WarDec Premium.
• The Defending corporation has 24 hours to prepare. Once war has taken effect, the defending corporation is unable to do anything for a period of 48 hours. After that time, the defending corporation has the option to end the war by matching the initial WarDec fee (not the premium). The war continues for another 24 hours and then ends.

What this solves:
• Large corporations pay a premium to wage war on smaller ones
• Defending corporations can't dodge an initial WarDec, but they do have the option to end it earlier
• Corporate wars are guaranteed for a minimum of 3-7 days as opposed to a fixed 7 days
• It reduces the amount of time players unwilling to participate in combat would be forced to dock up

Comments welcome.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#217 - 2015-04-03 13:33:16 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Getting the topic back on-track... There needs to be a mechanism in place to prevent abuse on both sides of a WarDec. Here are a few suggestions for consideration:

• When a corporation is WarDec'd, is is unable to disband and its members are unable to quite or leave the corporation.

Doesnt work, means pilots joining RvB is a one way ticket to never leaving.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#218 - 2015-04-03 13:37:31 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Doesnt work, means pilots joining RvB is a one way ticket to never leaving.

That's a valid point. Revised it to simply preventing the corporation from disbanding.

Black Pedro
Mine.
#219 - 2015-04-03 13:40:45 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
• In addition to the WarDec fee, the attacking corporation pays an additional fee based on the respective difference in size, up to a maximum of 400%. We'll call this the WarDec Premium.
• The Defending corporation has 24 hours to prepare. Once war has taken effect, the defending corporation is unable to do anything for a period of 48 hours. After that time, the defending corporation has the option to end the war by matching the initial WarDec fee (not the premium). The war continues for another 24 hours and then ends.

The second point will have the consequence of pushing wardecs from larger, established corporations that can afford the counter-bribe onto poorer, new corporations that cannot. That is the opposite of what the system should encourage.

Further, wars should not be able to be ended by the defending corporation without the consent of the attacker, or you no longer have a non-consensual PvP mechanism you can use to disrupt your competitors.

The scaling idea is good though. There should be a fee incentive to discourage larger corps from going after smaller corps, and for professional wardeccers to go after larger entities that can defend themselves. Right now the big corps most able to defend themselves are the most expensive to wardec. Still, it can't be too expensive so that even one-man corps can be wardecced if they annoy someone enough.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#220 - 2015-04-03 13:43:11 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)