These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Ultimate Mini-ITX Build Project (Dark Nova)

Author
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#21 - 2015-02-08 20:39:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
Quote:
If i get an M.2 SSD that i can use directly on the motherboard, then i don't even need the SSD under the GPU.

I would go for this option and keep area under GPU clear

if you decide to slot HDD there anyway that linked one is ok but for more size and cache id go w this i use it for over half year now and it works great it is sata III in laptop.

it is basically Western Digital http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-7200RPM-Mobile/dp/B0097LG9U8

Edit:

Size comparison.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

NightmareX
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#22 - 2015-02-11 11:11:54 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Well, it has been revealed that my motherboard have one little defect that comes from the fabric. The defect isn't affecting me at current time though, but for future upgrades, it will most likely affect me.

Take a look at this picture that is of the motherboard (not mine): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7309753/Bilder/New%20Computer/asusmaximuxviiimpact.jpg

Then take a look at the left bottom side where you have the slot called 'MPCIE_COMBO_IV'. Here you can see that every holes are open.

Now, look at the same holes on my motherboard: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7309753/Bilder/New%20Computer/2015-02-04%2004.48.12.jpg (this picture is now deleted from my Dropbox account).

And here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7309753/Bilder/New%20Computer/2015-02-04%2004.49.32.jpg (this picture is now deleted from my Dropbox account).

Look at the 5 holes to the left side there. They seems to be filled with something. Because of that, i can't get the 'MPCIE Combo IV' card to be properly fitted in that slot.

This means that i have to send the motherboard back to those i was buying it from. It's a warranty case and it has been accepted to be returned. That's all fine.

What's not fine is that i'm gonna be without my computer for 5-7 days now Ugh. Oh well, i'll rather do that and have a perfect working motherboard and wait those days.

Let's hope my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will save my days thoughBig smile.

Here is a list of my current EVE / PVP videos:

1: Asteroid Madness

2: Clash of the Empires

3: Suddenly Spaceships fighting in Tama

NightmareX
#23 - 2015-02-19 15:18:39 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
I will be sending my motherboard back on the warranty on monday next week.

However, i have changed my mind about what keyboard, mouse and mousepad i'm gonna get. As i'm going small sized computer, i'm kinda gonna go small on the keyboard and the mouse to. The new update on this are in my first post to.

So here is the keyboard, mouse and mousepad i'm gonna get.

Keyboard: Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810.

Mouse: Logitech Anywhere MX Wireless Mouse. This mouse is really good and good enough my my type of gaming. How do i know that?

Because i had the same mouse to my Samsung laptop that i sold. Yes i sold the mouse with the laptop.

Mousepad: Corsair Gaming MM600.

I'm also gonna buy 2 of this fan to place it on the front and the back of my Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler radiator. And because i also want some lights inside my computer as i have a plexi window on my computer case, i'm also gonna buy this white LED light.

That's the update so far.

NightmareX
#24 - 2015-02-20 15:16:58 UTC
I have also made an article about my new computer on my blog (which is also about volcanoes). There you can see 12 new pictures of my new computer on how it looks and so on.

http://volcanoparadise.blogspot.no/2015/02/darknova.html

NightmareX
#25 - 2015-03-11 18:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Here is an update.

1 week ago i bought the 'Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810' that was the planned update to my keyboard.

But today i bought 3 new things that is also a part of my update. The first thing i bought was the 'Logitech Anywhere MX Wireless Mouse'

The 2nd thing i bought was the 'Western Digital Black 3 TB 64 MB Cache S-ATA III' harddrive that's gonna replace my 2x 1TB harddrives.

As i will place this harddrive on the front on the inside of the computer case, i will free up the space under the GPU to allow it to get more air to the GPU. And i will also free up some weight to as one harddrive have lesser weight than two Big smile.

The last thing i bought was this.

The reason i bought this now is because i did sell my old computer to a friend of me.

So my next update after that is to buy me 16 GB of RAM, the 256 GB M.2 SSD from Samsung and a new Corsair mousepad i linked to in my first post.

Mehrune Khan
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2015-03-12 01:10:16 UTC
Tell us if you like that new mouse or not. It looks like it has one of those new frictionless scroll wheels on it. I had a Logitech mouse with one and I threw it away because it would turn just by bumping the mouse, which caused me problems in games that used the scroll wheel for zoom or weapon switching. I thought my games were bugging out at first - it took me a while to figure out it was the mouse wheel.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#27 - 2015-03-12 01:26:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
OP seems to be going for a mid range machine but maybe this will help someone.

Using this motherboard with this processor you can then pick this chip up in a few years at a knock off second hand price and have it compatible.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

NightmareX
#28 - 2015-03-12 06:14:48 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
OP seems to be going for a mid range machine but maybe this will help someone.

Using this motherboard with this processor you can then pick this chip up in a few years at a knock off second hand price and have it compatible.

Well, there is a limit on what you can put inside a Mini-ITX computer case.

The GPU and the motherboard is basicly the best you can get for a Mini-ITX rig at this size. I could ofc have gone for an Intel Core i7-4790k, but i don't see the need for it as i'm not a guy who does number crushing.

I play games and do some video editing and encoding. As for the video encoding, the CUDA cores in the GTX 970 card i have is way more powerfull for that than an Intel Core i7-4790k would be anyways.

Jenshae Chiroptera
#29 - 2015-03-12 12:14:28 UTC
NightmareX wrote:
Well, there is a limit on what you can put inside a Mini-ITX computer case.
Not critising, I tend to hold onto computers too long as it is a hassle to setup a new one just the way I want it so I end up spending more on legacy repairs and upgrades.

I also have friends who has spent more time and money on weird projects, like one guy use a Rasberry Pi to build a computerised screen complete with remote and video codecs. It works really well but he could have bought a pre-programmed TV for a fraction of the price and without all the effort. (TVs generally have less pixels, which is why they can be huge and cost less than a computer screen. Like my 1920x1080 screen that is 24" is roughly as many pixels as a TV that is six feet wide and four feet high.)

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#30 - 2015-03-12 17:17:49 UTC
I'm really impressed with the smaller high end motherboards that starts to pop up now. And there's some really good small cases for them that still can fit a larger graphic card. Only problem is that I think some of the cases have less than optimal cooling. With a large graphic card and cpu the old "put everything on top of each other" design may make some parts hotter than they need to be.

Here's my goto place when it comes to case reviews http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

NightmareX
#31 - 2015-03-12 17:54:20 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Mr M wrote:
I'm really impressed with the smaller high end motherboards that starts to pop up now. And there's some really good small cases for them that still can fit a larger graphic card. Only problem is that I think some of the cases have less than optimal cooling. With a large graphic card and cpu the old "put everything on top of each other" design may make some parts hotter than they need to be.

Here's my goto place when it comes to case reviews http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Luckily, the GTX 970 is using very little power (in watt) compared to AMD's card in the same performance segment.

So the GPU isn't getting that hot, so it's kinda a trade-off for having a small computer case. Here you can see some graphs on how much wattage the GTX 970 is using: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/23.html

NightmareX
#32 - 2015-03-15 22:04:38 UTC
It's also decided that my new main computer screen that will be stationary at home will be this one (or a newer version of it later): http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426456933&sr=8-1&keywords=Dell+UltraSharp+U3415W

I have the 21.5 inch Dell screen now as a travel screen and i'm really really happy with it, so i know i will be happy with the new 34 inch Dell screen when i will buy that one later one time when i have the money for it.

NightmareX
#33 - 2015-04-02 19:24:14 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Last tuesday i did send my motherboard back to where i bought it from on my warranty (finally). And i haven't got it back yet as it takes around 2 weeks to handle my case. However, they had to first get my motherboard down in Oslo and then they had to send it to Stockholm in Sweden and it's in Sweden the case takes 2 weeks.

So hopefully by the end of next week i should have my motherboard back, or a new one as the one i had had this defect.

Luckily, i have my father's laptop i can use in the meantime and ofc my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 that i can just use on my TV via my MHL to HDMI adapter Big smile. So i'm all fine so far.

NightmareX
#34 - 2015-04-06 01:22:20 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
By reading this, i have changed my mind about the RAM again: http://www.overclock.net/t/1223738/which-is-faster-cas-10-ddr3-2400mhz-or-cas-9-ddr3-2133mhz/20#post_22654996

I will go for this RAM when i'm buying a new RAM later: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-DOMINATOR-Platinum-2400MHz-CMD16GX3M2A2400C10/dp/B0090UEASE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428282703&sr=8-1&keywords=CMD16GX3M2A2400C10

And as for the M.2 SSD, i have changed the Samsung XP941 256 GB one out for the newest Samsung SM951 256 GB which have some insane read and write speeds.

NightmareX
#35 - 2015-04-09 14:15:08 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Update time. And there is one bad and one good news.

I called the webshop i bought the motherboard from today where i had sent it in for a repair on my warranty. And they have refused my warranty case for one simple reason.

They found out that i had bent some CPU pins on the CPU socket, so they couldn't repair the motherboard for that reason. But the thing here isn't that there is any issues that way with the CPU pins as my motherboard and CPU was working perfectly fine before i did send the motherboard back to them. So it wont be any issues when i get the motherboard back either.

The only thing that might be somewhat weird is that i might have to bend the CPU pins back to their original positions. By reading on the internet about the same issues, like here for example, it seems to be a problem for someone that the pins gets bent way to easy.

The thing here is that this bending issue on the CPU pins must be very easy to bend as i haven't used any forces or have had any other stuffs close to the CPU socket that could have damaged it while i have assembled it.

That's the bad news. The good news however is that i still have some rights on me when it comes to warranty as there already was one defect from the production of the motherboard that was the main issue for sending the motherboard back on the warranty in the first place. So the webshop i bought it from might just give me a new motherboard (the same one as i have now) on goodwill. They just have to look at the picture of how much the CPU pins are bent before they can go any further.

It's a complex case to solve. To take one example on where i would be totally out of luck. If i for example had been complaining about issues with the CPU or the RAM (as the CPU communicates with the RAM) and then had sent it in to them because it wasn't working like it should, then i would see their reasons for denying my warranty case if the CPU pins are bent, because if not all pins have connection with the CPU, then there might be several issues that way anyways.

But in my case, the motherboard was working 100% perfect. So the bended pins on the CPU socket isn't causing any issues for me. It didn't cause any issues for me before i did send it in. So even though that might stop the warranty, they still have to continue the warranty case as there is a manufacturing defect on the motherboard that was the main issue for sending the motherboard back on the warranty.

Because of that, they can't simply just refuse to repair it or give me a new one. They have to give me something in compensation for the defect anyways.

Have anyone of you here experienced something similar?

NightmareX
#36 - 2015-04-13 10:25:57 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
New update.

Today I have been talking with the webshop i bought the motherboard from and they say the same thing as i said in my earlier post that my warranty is out, unfortunately. But because of the defect that was on the motherboard before i even opened the motherboard box, then they can't really refuse me to get a new motherboard or a refund.

So the guy i was talking with was in Sweden where the motherboard was sent to, so he was going to check on the motherboard later today or tomorrow just to confirm the defect with the motherboard (not the bent CPU pins). After that, he will send me a completely new motherboard (the same one as i did send in) on goodwill Blink.

So that defect kinda saved my ass a bit there Big smile.

I will have the new motherboard within friday this week if everything goes after the plan now.

NightmareX
#37 - 2015-04-17 08:36:03 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
Final update about my motherboard case.

Today the case got resolved. It got resolved by getting confirmed by the webshop i bought the motherboard from that the blocked pins (defect from the factory) i had the issues with was infact blocked, so they are sending me a new motherboard even though they couldn't fix the motherboard via the warranty.

So in the middle of next week i will have the new motherboard (the same ASUS motherboard). I will update my post here later when i have got the motherboard back and started to build the computer up again.

NightmareX
#38 - 2015-04-24 03:32:45 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
I got the motherboard yesterday. And now my computer is up and running again Big smile.

Only issue i have so far is that the Wi-Fi chip on the 'MPCIE Combo IV' card isn't working properly yet. Windows says it needs some drivers, but i have installed the driver for it and still no luck.

I'll guess i have to troubleshoot that a bit more :-).

EDIT: The Wi-Fi driver is now installed and is working.

NightmareX
#39 - 2015-04-30 12:48:48 UTC  |  Edited by: NightmareX
I will soon update my article on my blog with new pictures of my computer. But i made a post about my computer with the new pictures on the TechPowerUp forum here earlier today: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/your-pc-atm.65012/page-1091#post-3275946

However. As i'm kinda going wireless on my computer, i'm thinking on going wireless for my headphones to. Does anyone have any good Bluetooth (with Apt-X) headphones with REALLY great soundquality to recommend?

I don't want those HUUUGE gaming headsets that makes you looks weird. I'm thinking about the same size as the current headphones i have now that is this one.

And i need a new microphone to. Anyone have a very good microphone to recommend?

Mehrune Khan
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2015-04-30 16:00:19 UTC
I have this and I hate it. It cuts out on my all the time and I have to keep re-attaching the usb dongle to my laptop until the sound comes back.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapoo-Wireless-Microphone-H1030-Silver/dp/B0074CQUHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430407976&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+headphones+rapoo

The Logitech H800 headset looks fairly small, but it's not quite as small as the Bowers & Wilkins headset you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Headset-Tablets-Smartphones/dp/B005GTNZUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430409379&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+headset

I wish I had a big, honking pair of wireless sennheisers myself. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money until my crappy rapoo headset bites the dust.
Previous page123Next page