These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cruiser, Battleship, Capital - Combined Discussion

Author
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-04-01 14:13:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Shaklu
There are several threads that all have narrow scopes, but in reality all are tied together, so I wanted to plop a discussion about them in one spot.

Cruiser (mostly Ishtar) thread:
[Scylla] Ishtars
Battleship thread:
Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0
Capital thread:
Let's talk about Capitals and Supercapitals

These 3 topics, while they could be fiddled with individually, are very tied into one another as far as overall game balance. They are the 3 ship classes at the top of the game, and they don't have the best relationship right now.

Summary:

Cruisers and Battleships are too close together as far as their role in combat, where capitals are so far ahead of all other ships that it almost feels like a different game when they are used.

Cruisers, especially the T2 and T3 variants, have evolved significantly over the years, and when you only look at the progression of T1 frigates up to T3 cruisers, there is a pretty decent scale as far as their power, and their cost. When you look at T2 cruisers through T2 battleships the line bottoms out, however. Then there is a huge gap of many different important statistics like HP, DPS, Cost from battleships to capitals, and again to supercapitals.

The progression from T1 frigates to T3 cruisers looks something like this as far as their power in combat and their price:
T1 frig < T2 frig = Destroyer < T2 Destroyer = T1 cruiser < T2 cruiser < / = T3 Cruiser

The progression for ships from cruisers to capitals effectively are just 3 groups with huge gaps between them:
-T2 Cruisers through T2 battleships are highly comparable* as far as DPS, EHP.. though the larger ships do still cost much more.
-Carriers and Dreadnaughts basically even, but the difference to Battleships and their cost is huge.
-Supercarriers and Titans at the apex, but generally useless against anything smaller than a planet and ludicrously expensive.

End Summary

So! What to do about this?

Well, structure grinding is going the way of the dinosaur, and most people couldn't be happier. This, however leaves the old capitals with nothing to shoot at. That is, unless you make something to shoot at.

The HUGE gap between battleships and capitals can simply be shrunk (in both directions). Primarily in a slash to the DPS capabilities of caps/supers, and the PRICE of caps/supers - so people will actually bring them to fights. Secondarily in a buff to Battleships to get them to be more like.. well, Battleships.

Battleships are, frankly, pathetic right now. They have weak tanks and huge signatures coupled with moving at turtle speeds means that they have a much worse effective tank than fast moving, small cruisers. At the moment the tank EHP numbers are basically the same as cruisers. They don't do much more damage then T2/T3 cruisers either, and they can't hit cruisers because they're frikkin tiny and super fast (especially the Ishtar, which is actually using Battleship weapons.. wtf). If, however, Battleships were buffed up in ONLY HP and DPS, then they would sit where actual battleships should. Cruisers would then have trouble killing them, but also.. it would be a great target for capitals!

Capitals are designed to do damage to stationary targets with looaadds of HP. Well those are going away, so now the dps numbers just look like bragging (Carriers not so much, we'll come back to them). So if Battleships are actually given a buff, then dreads/supers could be used against them effectively by lowering their dps to more realistic numbers and increasing their tracking to be able to hit something smaller than a stationary asteroid. Capitals would also need their scan resolution increased to compensate, and let's be honest.. if I had a mobile station, I think I'd splurge a bit on some sick computers and a few radar dishes.

Carriers are fleet support boats, much like.. well, Carriers. They could be the capital logistics, much like they protect actual battlegroups in real life with a protective umbrella of planes. This, however, leads us into another discussion: Logistics.

Right now you have a frigate logistic ship, a "cruiser" logistic ship, and the carrier. Frigates use small reppers, carriers use capital reppers, and let's stop kidding ourselves: T2 logistic cruisers are battleships. If cruiser logistic ships were designed to only use 800mm plate and medium reppers (you know.. the medium, cruiser size ones..) and you made an actual battleship a logistics ship, then there ya go: Frig logi, Cruiser logi, BS logi, and Capital logi.

So, in conclusion, you make a simple 1:1 scale ratio for base stats from T1 frigate all the way up to Titans, and have specialized ships with specialized roles that can be exceptions to that scale. This would create a nice foundation for the sandbox, with the tweaking of modules allowing differences, instead of simply one overpowered ship over another.

tl/dr quick list
  • Buff Battleships HP + DPS
  • Dreads, Supers, Titans: cheaper with more realistic damage
  • Keep logistics to proper ship size (cruisers, we're looking at you)
  • Keep Shield extenders/Armor Plates to proper ship size
  • Add logistic battleship (to replace those silly cruisers)
  • Design base stats of ships on a 1:1 scale on HP, DMG, Speed, Signature, PRICE

P.S. Frigates should only be able to use small drones, Cruisers medium, Battleships Heavy/sentry. Just like frigates can only use small guns, cruisers medium, and BS large. I think this is pretty self explanatory. (Ishtars shouldn't be smaller, faster Dominixes, duh)

*Edit
Juan Mileghere
The Corporate Raiders
#2 - 2015-04-01 14:41:10 UTC
Two things
Those three threads are there post in them, if you've been here once or twice, redundant posts aren't really the most well liked thing, as that clutters up the forum section and there's a nice little rule about that stuff

Look you're confusing me and I really have trouble beliving that you're smarter than I am when you say,
Quote:
T2 Cruisers through T2 battleships are basically identical as far as DPS, EHP.. though the larger ships do still cost much more.
or that
Quote:
Design base stats of ships on a 1:1 scale on HP, DMG, Speed, Signature, PRICE

Okay and I'm going to point one thing out to anyone wishing to say Battleships aren't worth a damn, see I used to think about that, then I played withh Attack BCs, flew in incursion fleets (Shiny and nice fleets as well as small ones cobbled together), played with BSes in low-sec and lost a few but still have came out on top with both my KB and in making ISK... Are some BSes a bit lacking, YES
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-04-01 14:44:30 UTC
Juan Mileghere wrote:
Those three threads are there post in them, if you've been here once or twice, redundant posts aren't really the most well liked thing, as that clutters up the forum section and there's a nice little rule about that stuff

Yes, I have read the posts, and commented in them This topic is designed to look at the broader picture instead of a microscope on those individual topics.

I can understand not wanting to clutter up posts.. so posting off-topic in those particular threads to talk about how the different ship types compare is what this thread is designed for.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-04-01 15:43:39 UTC
Shaklu wrote:

-T2 Cruisers through T2 battleships are basically identical as far as DPS, EHP.. though the larger ships do still cost much more.

P.S. Frigates should only be able to use small drones, Cruisers medium, Battleships Heavy/sentry. Just like frigates can only use small guns, cruisers medium, and BS large. I think this is pretty self explanatory. (Ishtars shouldn't be smaller, faster Dominixes, duh)

Aaannnddd... stopped reading.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#5 - 2015-04-01 16:18:59 UTC
I like all of it upto the PS part... I'll have you know i own a wolf fitted with medium autocannons...

It's not very good but it LOOKS AWESOME with those massive turrets...
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-04-01 16:49:47 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Shaklu wrote:

-T2 Cruisers through T2 battleships are basically identical as far as DPS, EHP.. though the larger ships do still cost much more.

Here's a graph!
Cruiser Weapon System Comparison

And some stats!
425mm Railgun II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 57.6km, falloff 24km (81.6), tracking .01 rad/s.
Tachyon Beam Laser II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 52.8km, falloff 20km (72.8), tracking .014rad/s.
1400mm Howitzer Artillery II: 400m signature radius, optimal 48km, falloff 35km (83), tracking .009 rad/s.

Bouncer II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 36km, falloff 54km (90km), tracking .019 rad/s.
(Thanks to Kosher Nostra from the Ishtar thread)

I'm not saying they should be restricted completely. Just very difficult to use them as a battleship would.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-04-01 17:03:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Shaklu wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
Shaklu wrote:

Here's a graph!
Cruiser Weapon System Comparison

And some stats!
425mm Railgun II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 57.6km, falloff 24km (81.6), tracking .01 rad/s.
Tachyon Beam Laser II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 52.8km, falloff 20km (72.8), tracking .014rad/s.
1400mm Howitzer Artillery II: 400m signature radius, optimal 48km, falloff 35km (83), tracking .009 rad/s.

Bouncer II: 400m signature resolution, optimal 36km, falloff 54km (90km), tracking .019 rad/s.
(Thanks to Kosher Nostra from the Ishtar thread)

I'm not saying they should be restricted completely. Just very difficult to use them as a battleship would.

You do realize those are all cruiser weapons, right? With the exception of the Sentries, which are variable sized weapons?

And that it's ONE weapon, on an UNBONUSED hull. And that BS's typically carry more raw weapon hardpoints than cruisers?

How the serious **** was that picture supposed to support the ridiculous statement "t2 Cruisers through t2 BS are basically the same in EHP and DPS"?

Any blanket statement that can look at a Eagle and a Paladin, and declare them "Basically the same" is not even remotely based in reality.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#8 - 2015-04-01 17:07:59 UTC
Oh dear, this isn't going well.... not well at all
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2015-04-01 17:12:51 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
You do realize those are all cruiser weapons, right? With the exception of the Sentries, which are variable sized weapons?

And that it's ONE weapon, on an UNBONUSED hull. And that BS's typically carry more raw weapon hardpoints than cruisers?

How the serious **** was that picture supposed to support the ridiculous statement "t2 Cruisers through t2 BS are basically the same in EHP and DPS"?

Any blanket statement that can look at a Eagle and a Paladin, and declare them "Basically the same" is not even remotely based in reality.

Err, the graph shows how crazy the idea of sentries being classified as medium weapons is.

All of those guns are large guns..

As far as unbonused, well duh. The whole point is making the foundation stats on hulls and weapons in the right place, then building upon that via ship bonuses etc.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2015-04-01 17:19:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
On a side note, pure numbers graphs like that can be incredibly misleading for a number of reasons, often because they do not take into account ship bonuses and leave an incomplete picture because of it.

Let's take a Ishtar for a sec.

7,5% heavy drone max velocity and Tracking ---- Not applicable to Sentries
10% bonus to light drone, medium drone, and heavy drone hitpoints and damage ---- not applicable to sentries.
5% bonus to sentry drones hitpoint and damage ----- Applicable to sentries

5000 m drone operation range ----- applicable to sentries, but would not show up on the graph
5% bonus to sentry drone optimal and tracking speed - applicable to sentries.

So out of the 5 bonuses of an Ishtar, only two would be displayed on the graph. It has a much lower gap between graph performance and actual in game performance.

Nw lets take a look at say the Muninn, which follows the same format as many of the other t2 gunboat cruisers.

5% to Medium Projectile Turret rate of fire per level.
5% to Medium Projectile Turret damage per level.

10% Medium Projectile Turret optimal range per level.
7.5% to Medium Projectile Turret tracking speed per level.

Muninn has four bonuses that directly apply the weapon system and would show up on the graph.

The gap between the graph performance of a Munnins weapons and the actual performance is far far greater than the difference between an Ishtars graph and actual weapon performance.

Remember, Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

And pure theoretical numbers don't touch upon the whole "drones as a limited and destroyable weapon system" bit either.
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-04-01 17:31:07 UTC
Right, I agree. I made that point in my monologue. The graph and stats are mostly saying "The Ishtar shouldn't be able to use sentry drones, they are battleship class weapons". The Ishtar is the most easily pointed to ship for my argument, while other ships aren't really applicable.

My point is to make the foundation curve of ships even, then have specialized ships break off from that graph, like the Muninn. It sacrifices a bit of tank for damage in it's bonuses.

And no, not all cruiser and battleship damage is super close together, but in cases of some T3 cruisers, and ships like the Ishtar they come out very close to BS. Some BS aren't even used anymore because they are just not very good, especially up against the powerful cruiser fleets.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-04-01 17:46:44 UTC
Shaklu wrote:
Some BS aren't even used anymore because they are just not very good, especially up against the powerful cruiser fleets.

Most BS fleets are not used because they get hazed by bombers. Either that or they get wrecked by AB armor cruisers like the zealot. Or both.

That being said, the BS meta for fleet fights is surprisingly healthy atm.

Ravens, Rattlesnakes, Tempest Fleet issue, Machariel, Dominix, Megathon, Scorpion, and Armageddon all see a good bit of use in large fleet fights.

Bhaalgorn, Vindicator, Nestor, Rohk are all used in more specialized roles.

The cruisers considered "powerful" Mainly Ishtar, Tengu, Proteus, Loki, Legion, all do mediocre at best against manyof those BS Fleets.

It's not the traditional power cruisers that hold down BS fleets, it's the threat of your largely immobile fleet being instantly wiped off the field by a fleet of 50 bombers.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#13 - 2015-04-01 18:16:18 UTC
This thread is not needed, because Ishtar thread got unstickied.

Problem solved. vOv
Shaklu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-04-01 18:21:48 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
This thread is not needed, because Ishtar thread got unstickied.

Problem solved. vOv

While the thread did get a little over-focused on the cruiser/BS issue, the main point is actually the gap between BS, caps, and supercaps. There are bits of issues with all 4 ship sizes, and I dabble a bit in them, but mostly it's talking about how to make capitals and battleships fit in again post-sov changes.

Battleships having more hp and dmg and then dreads being a step up from that, supers being a step further was the main idea.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#15 - 2015-04-01 21:50:07 UTC
Shaklu wrote:
-bla-...The progression from T1 frigates to T3 cruisers looks something like this as far as their power in combat and their price:
T1 frig < T2 frig = Destroyer < T2 Destroyer = T1 cruiser < T2 cruiser < / = T3 Cruiser

And here is where everyone should stop reading since the rest is now based on a false premise. The actual progression goes like this:

t1 general > empire faction > pirate faction

special frigate snowflake case or commonly known as tech2 boat between empire faction > pirate faction

t3 general (currently not but is going there) swiss-army knife all tech2 classes.For all subcapital ships.

What we can see here should make it clear that pirate faction is the top end line of performance and can be viewed as the best of all classes.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#16 - 2015-04-02 02:39:57 UTC
I can't say I agree with the changes as proposed here. As I'm the one running the battleship thread you linked, I'd like to think my opinion counts for something.

A couple thoughts on the overall state of the game.

(Supers and titans weren't intended to be mainstay combatants, so most of my thinking about fleets and cost vs. effectiveness ignores them until CCP releases whatever the role is post sov-changes and skynet removal.)

Battleships:
The biggest issues are bombers and cost vs. effectiveness on battleships.

On bomber problems:
1: The easiest solution to the first is to make them slightly more agile, so going nova will clear much of the fleet from a bomber wave.
2: The next easiest solution is to nerf bombers.
3: The final "easy" solution is to increase the avionics performance of battleships to the point that tracking fit battleships can clear most of a bomber wave before they get the bombs off.

I'm personally in favor of a combination of 1 and 3

For cost vs. effectiveness, 3 major avenues of solution exist that would fix them IMO.
1: Buff EHP and damage to about 1.3 and 1.25 current levels respectively to fit the curve relative to t1 frigates through HACs.
2: Reduce mineral cost to about 80% of current.
3: Buff other performace to make them more distinct from ABCs, such as the upgrades to make them less suspectable to bombers.

I'm personally in favor of a broad spectrum of the 3, to avoid any single major change cracking a meta on that single change.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Lienzo
Amanuensis
#17 - 2015-04-02 03:05:11 UTC
Cruisers are kinda flexible right now. I think they need to be making more choices between damage amount and damage application. It's the damage projection & application which should make them effective at anti-support. Some other tweaks to mechanics affecting small ships in web/neut range to increase viability would be welcome, and also serve to promote the role of retinues in fleets based around flagships rather than massed narrow doctrines. Most cruisers would be better differentiated in anti-support roles by tracking bonuses or explosion velocity/radius bonuses rather than range or damage bonuses. The advantages of damage application bonuses needs to be noticeable, and not overshadowed by webs, neuts, and target painters.

The use of battlecruisers can be improved by giving them the flexibility that cruisers enjoy. Allow them to beef up on damage output while also retaining damage projection. Mainly make them give up damage application to maintain tanking or high damage. Any changes, like nerfs to oversize prop mods, or extra range buffers would help them to counter basic and advanced cruisers. Abandoning damage application modules should be essential to going up against same sized hulls with equal efficacy.

The really heavy ships need better ways to take advantage of their bulk and high mass. For example, what if bomb damage were negatively affected by ship mass even as it is positively affected by ship size? MWDs might partially cancel out, but the main role of the bomber in effecting damage against blobs would remain intact. If need be, the damage resistance of bombs could be increased to make up to 10 bombs viable per wave, simplifying fleet management.

Other advantages of mass might be innate web resistance. Radical surgery to the web might include having it affect agility or base align time rather than base speed. That in turn would go back to the first point of making anti-support with high damage application even more needed in a fleet, or for anti-support roles.

Keeping small ships agile in a furball is much better than the current regime of oversized tanking. It allows them to dodge ships not suited for taking them, while allowing them to die quickly to ships that are properly setup for anti-support roles. To that end we need to increase the importance of modules that affect drones in this regard. There should be modules which turn drones into anti-support systems, and modules that make them do reasonable damage against larger targets. This essentially makes drone bays a fitting opportunity cost instead of just a swiss army knife.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-04-02 03:16:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Lienzo wrote:

Keeping small ships agile in a furball is much better than the current regime of oversized tanking. It allows them to dodge ships not suited for taking them, while allowing them to die quickly to ships that are properly setup for anti-support roles. To that end we need to increase the importance of modules that affect drones in this regard. There should be modules which turn drones into anti-support systems, and modules that make them do reasonable damage against larger targets. This essentially makes drone bays a fitting opportunity cost instead of just a swiss army knife.

You do realize that small ships are already used?

Harpy fleets, bomber fleets, Goku Fleets (cloak-less brawling stealth bombers), Svipuls, Confessors, ewar wings, interceptor fleets, the Brave Kitchen Sink Warehouse fleets....

There's certainly no lack of middle of the fight frigate brawling. It's quite frequent for large fights between BS's or cruisers to have several smaller auxiliary fleets running around in the middle of them killing each other off.

Lots of your ideas seem to be poorly anchored in reality, due to the actual gameplay being nowhere as sparse in terms of ship types, sizes, or actions as you seem to believe. People are using frigate and destroyers and BS's quite frequently. It's nowhere near a barren wasteland of cruisers only running around.

A quick look at Zkill for example shows only 3 cruisers in the top 10 most used ships. 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers, and 3 frigates.

But don't let me get in the way of your "cruisers are dominating everything" rhetoric. Keep on going!
Lienzo
Amanuensis
#19 - 2015-04-02 05:09:16 UTC
I'm well aware that svipuls, sabres and confessors are de rigueur. However, I am also aware of the high utility of T3 and AB HAC gangs.

All in all, I'm not sure I understand the aim of your critique. How do you see increased opportunity costs in role selection having an impact on relationships between hull sizes?

Personally, I have no stake in what ships people choose to fly, only in the manner in which they interact with other ships. I think it's important that chains of predation be robust, and that jumping links can be problematic for the chain links being jumped.