These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Anthropological research in EVE, all pilots please read!

Author
Scarlett-Rose
Kador Defence Initiative
#81 - 2015-03-29 15:23:26 UTC
Also, where Downtime was still closer to an hour, it was synonymous with "Shave, Sh*t and Shower" for the more addicted. Lol
Mallory Crendraven
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2015-03-31 15:20:58 UTC
Dmitry Vitus wrote:
I agree that the example was chosen poorly, this however does not diminish the point I'm making Blink

Wait... are you making a point or asking a question? If you are asking a question you'll need to try again because I failed to understand it.
Dmitry Vitus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#83 - 2015-03-31 18:41:44 UTC
Mallory Crendraven wrote:
Dmitry Vitus wrote:
I agree that the example was chosen poorly, this however does not diminish the point I'm making Blink

Wait... are you making a point or asking a question? If you are asking a question you'll need to try again because I failed to understand it.

I have an assumption or a point, which I'm planning to check, using the question I asked.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#84 - 2015-04-01 13:35:28 UTC
knowsitall wrote:
SOON tm
Should be tm in superscript for trade mark
As with Leet, this orignates from Anarchy Online.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Alexei Stryker
Council of Stellar Erections
#85 - 2015-04-01 13:51:28 UTC
Chribba, Veldspar, Carebear, Bittervet, Concorded, Quafe, Hulltank, null null, blap, bubbles, points, scramed
Alexei Stryker
#86 - 2015-04-01 13:53:15 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:
I have earned BILLIONS of ISK as a market trader and now I'm giving it all away. Send me 100mil ISK and I will send you back DOUBLE the amount.

Sounds legit
Alexei Stryker
#87 - 2015-04-01 14:01:20 UTC
Chribba wrote:
As I've noticed that a number of you have mentioned my name as a word for research, I would like to say thank you, I feel honored to have made such a mark that I would be considered a word to come up like that.

/bows/ Thank you all, things like this do make me feel very good Smile

/c

Well... Eve without Chribba is like belts without Veldspar
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#88 - 2015-04-01 14:02:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Dmitry Vitus wrote:
Fellow pilots!

I'm currently writing an anthropological research paper at my uni about common community consciousness.

Let's assume that if a European person hears about an event "Invasion of Normandy" he/she will identify it with WWII, therefore it is possible to say that different communities have different community consciousness. I'm studying the same in EVE. If possible could you list phrases/dates/names/etc. (for example 'Ha*l H*tler'/ 9/11 / ******) which are understandable by the majority of the population in EVE. Game terms similar to DPS/DEBUFF/etc. are not to be listed.

Thank you for reading this post. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Here's what you do.

Go to any huge gathering of nerds, like Comic-con. Stand on a chair. Shout "GRRRRRR". The ones that stop and reflexively shout "GOONS" are EVE players.

Go to another such gathering with a boom box. Start Playing this song. Those who take out a lighter and raise it in the air while taking a knee and bowing their heads as if in prayer are Goons.

Go to a third such gathering. Play this sound from your boom box. The people who stop dead in their tracks and look for a computer monitor are EVE players.

Go to yet a fourth gathering and bump into people at random. Those who get bumped who immediately run to the event organizers in an attempt to get you nerfed kicked out while screaming that you are the member of some terrorist group they've never heard of named CODE are people who have mined ore in EVE's high security space.

Study complete.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#89 - 2015-04-01 17:29:18 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Go to any huge gathering of nerds, like Comic-con. Stand on a chair. Shout "GRRRRRR". ..
I have never been to a Comic-Con and if you did that I would call for the men in white jackets. P

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#90 - 2015-04-01 17:41:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
"No no, that's not it at all, make it more ......Psssssshhhhhhh"

"the logs show nothing"

"eve has sound?!"

"Soon™ " (seriously guys ,alt-0153)

"Thats a Templar, the amarr fighter. Its a combat drone used by carriers."

"Can i bring my Drake?"
Steijn
Quay Industries
#91 - 2015-04-01 17:43:50 UTC
Somergate
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#92 - 2015-04-01 17:47:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Phig Neutron
Jenn aSide wrote:
Here's what you do.

Go to any huge gathering of nerds, like Comic-con. Stand on a chair. Shout "GRRRRRR". The ones that stop and reflexively shout "GOONS" are EVE players.

Go to another such gathering with a boom box. Start Playing this song. Those who take out a lighter and raise it in the air while taking a knee and bowing their heads as if in prayer are Goons.

Go to a third such gathering. Play this sound from your boom box. The people who stop dead in their tracks and look for a computer monitor are EVE players.

Go to yet a fourth gathering and bump into people at random. Those who get bumped who immediately run to the event organizers in an attempt to get you nerfed kicked out while screaming that you are the member of some terrorist group they've never heard of named CODE are people who have mined ore in EVE's high security space.

Study complete.

Here's a simpler idea. Get a bunch of friends at Comic-Con and stand hidden on one side of a doorway. When people come through, pelt them with cabbages or shoot them with Nerf guns. The unsuspecting conference attendees who take the brunt of your attack are not EVE players. The people who anticipate the attacks and come through every door ducking, or at a full sprint, are the EVE players. The ones who bring non-EVE-playing friends and send them through every door first, are the really pro EVE players.
Dmitry Vitus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#93 - 2015-04-01 19:42:10 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dmitry Vitus wrote:
Fellow pilots!

I'm currently writing an anthropological research paper at my uni about common community consciousness.

Let's assume that if a European person hears about an event "Invasion of Normandy" he/she will identify it with WWII, therefore it is possible to say that different communities have different community consciousness. I'm studying the same in EVE. If possible could you list phrases/dates/names/etc. (for example 'Ha*l H*tler'/ 9/11 / ******) which are understandable by the majority of the population in EVE. Game terms similar to DPS/DEBUFF/etc. are not to be listed.

Thank you for reading this post. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Here's what you do.

Study complete.

Sounds like an excellent plan! xD
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#94 - 2015-04-01 19:44:43 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Here's what you do.

Study complete.

Here's a simpler idea. Get a bunch of friends at Comic-Con and stand hidden on one side of a doorway. When people come through, pelt them with cabbages or shoot them with Nerf guns. The unsuspecting conference attendees who take the brunt of your attack are not EVE players. The people who anticipate the attacks and come through every door ducking, or at a full sprint, are the EVE players. The ones who bring non-EVE-playing friends and send him through every door first, are the really pro EVE players.

Hell yea.
Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#95 - 2015-04-01 19:56:49 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Go to any huge gathering of nerds, like Comic-con. Stand on a chair. Shout "GRRRRRR". ..
I have never been to a Comic-Con and if you did that I would call for the men in white jackets. P

As a frequent comic con attendee I can confirm that Jenn has correctly described the appropriate way to locate Eve Players.
Scarlett-Rose
Kador Defence Initiative
#96 - 2015-04-01 20:02:39 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Not sure how I haven't heard this before, it's awesome. Makes me want to apply to Karmafleet. Shocked
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#97 - 2015-04-02 15:05:16 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
knowsitall wrote:
SOON tm
Should be tm in superscript for trade mark
As with Leet, this orignates from Anarchy Online.

leet far predates AO, leet as a mob was a gaming joke added by the devs for giggle value.
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#98 - 2015-04-02 15:06:11 UTC
Scarlett-Rose wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Not sure how I haven't heard this before, it's awesome. Makes me want to apply to Karmafleet. Shocked

He really should have linked the youtube version with the stop motion bees by Poluketes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#99 - 2015-04-02 15:22:56 UTC
Crusader....

Some think of an amarr ship.
Some think of a knight in armor.

Me... 65 tons of heavy mech with LRMs, SRMs, medium lasers and MGs that looks surprisingly like an armored Veritech or Stinger.

Go figure.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#100 - 2015-04-02 15:32:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Crusader....

Some think of an amarr ship.
Some think of a knight in armor.

Me... 65 tons of heavy mech with LRMs, SRMs, medium lasers and MGs that looks surprisingly like an armored Veritech or Stinger.

Go figure.

Everytime I watch Game of Thrones and someone talks about a 'Direwolf' I expect a 100 ton Clan omnimech to show up and kill everyone lol.