These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

New player help

Author
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2015-03-26 15:38:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
If you really don't want to PVP I suggest you leave faction warfare (quit the militia). Being in the militia makes it so that other players can attack you without consequence, even in high-sec.

As for stabbed LP farming, it is hardly riveting gameplay and is usually not done as a "main" activity, but rather on a tabbed alt for some free cash. It's basically on par with afk mining or killright farming. IE if you do it you are the worst kind of human and will be treated as such by everyone.

You should check out the Sisters of Eve epic arc, if you like missions. You can get started by talking to Sister Alitura in the system called Arnon. There are also plenty of combat exploration sites to do which can be quite lucrative, even in highsec. Try scanning for DED sites and do some of the easier rated ones (google the names for details).

Some of the highest level PVE can only be done in fleets (upper class wormhole sites, incursions, level 5 misisons). I would suggest you work toward that goal if PVE is your thing. EVE is a social game and the people are the content. Most people playing on their own never make it past the first few months. So get out there and make some friends doing the things you want to do. You may even find your goals shift over time as they introduce you to new things. When I started I wasn't much interested in PVP. Now it's accounts for the vast majority of my game time.

Edit:

Syrilian wrote:
Seriously though, I am mostly a farmer at this point unless I am in a fleet. I simply do not have the skills to engage in solo PVP at this point.

You'd be surprised what a low-SP character can accomplish with some creativity. Find a ship, google it, see how it is usually fit. Ask yourself what types of ships would be comfortable engaging it. Then determine if you could change the fit in a way to win that specific engagement and go seek it out.

Example:

Breachers have excellent tank, with moderate DPS. Having tank is great, but if your DPS is too low you can still lose a fight against a high DPS target. So what did I do? Something crazy. I took a rocket launcher off and fit a neut instead. Now my DPS is abysmal!

Logic:

-I can last a while with my good tank but I don't quite have enough time to apply my DPS
-By fitting a neut I can shut down cap-intensive ships (lasers, blasters) before they work through my tank
-Even though my DPS is very low now, their DPS is 0 since they ran out of capacitor

Sure it's a strange fit. No, it's not suited for every engagement (fighting anything cap independent or sporting a cap booster would be a sure loss). But was it effective? Yes. I killed a Daredevil worth 167 mil in my 10-15 mil t1 frig. And by winning this way, I made it about tactics instead of about skill points - you can too.

Don't be constrained by fitting stuff the "right way". Get creative and figure out how to abuse you ship's strengths.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#22 - 2015-03-26 16:00:18 UTC
Syrilian wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Syrilian wrote:

So till then, I farm.

Well you're never going to learn farming now are you.

Oh I have learned plenty. And its not that I am adverse to getting into fights. If I am in a fleet, I am all for fighting. But one of the things I have learned about PVP is part of it is knowing when to fight and right now that is not often.

thats fair, suppose ill take you off my "to do" list then Blink

(old war in case anyone was wondering)
Gimme Sake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#23 - 2015-03-26 16:08:19 UTC

@OP there's nothing too complicated, Just repeat after me:

YARRRRR!!! Pirate

"Never not blob!" ~ Plato

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#24 - 2015-03-26 20:28:33 UTC
Syrilian wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Or, he could pay attention and use a ship that's, you know, effective.

Uhm, technically Riel is entirely correct using your logic.

To effectively farm LP, you want a ship that can orbit a beacon (any ship will do) and doesn't get caught (Venture with it's stab bonus + low slots filled is a touch ship to catch).

Then again, at that point, you are a farmer and should just leave EVE. But that last part, is just personal opinion.

Aww, J'Poll I thought you liked me :P. Seriously though, I am mostly a farmer at this point unless I am in a fleet. I simply do not have the skills to engage in solo PVP at this point.

So till then, I farm.

And with that attitude you will never be ready.

Amount of SP does not make you a good solo PvP player, experience does.

A new player can be VERY good at solo PvP if he wants it and puts effort into it.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Syrilian
Doomheim
#25 - 2015-03-31 19:10:39 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Syrilian wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Or, he could pay attention and use a ship that's, you know, effective.

Uhm, technically Riel is entirely correct using your logic.

To effectively farm LP, you want a ship that can orbit a beacon (any ship will do) and doesn't get caught (Venture with it's stab bonus + low slots filled is a touch ship to catch).

Then again, at that point, you are a farmer and should just leave EVE. But that last part, is just personal opinion.

Aww, J'Poll I thought you liked me :P. Seriously though, I am mostly a farmer at this point unless I am in a fleet. I simply do not have the skills to engage in solo PVP at this point.

So till then, I farm.

And with that attitude you will never be ready.

Amount of SP does not make you a good solo PvP player, experience does.

A new player can be VERY good at solo PvP if he wants it and puts effort into it.

I think I have a different definition of what a farmer is than most people do. What I meant is that right now I pick and choose my battles, which with the skills I have now I flight more than I fight. I am not afraid of fighting, I just don't want to engage in a fight I know I am going to lose.

As an aside, got my first solo kill last night.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2015-03-31 19:28:59 UTC
Syrilian wrote:

This explains your thread in GD Blink.

Congratulations!

o7

Grrr.

L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#27 - 2015-03-31 19:47:38 UTC
Syrilian wrote:

.... As an aside, got my first solo kill last night. ....

Congratulations!

I hope you got the same feeling of triumph that others get when it finally all clicks for the first time P
Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2015-03-31 20:13:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Bastion Arzi
Sometimes when there's nothing much going on I foray into low to find some pew pew.

After spending time liking for a decent target nothing pisses me off more than to find out he's stabbed.

It truly makes me sad.

One day I'll fit like 3 scrams just for these special snowflakes.

Gz on ur kill op
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#29 - 2015-03-31 22:13:38 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
If the OP is into PvE primarily is being in a fac war corp a really good idea?
Or might he be better served by finding a non- fac war corp tp join?

I'm not so sure! I do PVE in lowsec and 0.0, and I think it makes it a lot more interesting (not to mention lucrative -- love those LP rewards). The OP is probably getting really good at moving fast, doing the sites fast, and getting away slippery.
Syrilian
Doomheim
#30 - 2015-03-31 22:51:11 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Syrilian wrote:

This explains your thread in GD Blink.

Congratulations!

o7

Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised honestly and how it happened was kind of weird which is why I was looking for it on killboard to be honest. But I digress from this post, I will stop arguing with you guys about farmers because like I said previously I think I have a different definition of what a farmer that yall do. I don't equip stabs or anything like that, just my fight or flight response is tilted toward flight when doing solo.
Previous page12