These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[New structures] Item safety mechanics on structure destruction

First post First post
Author
w1ndstrike
White Talon Holdings
#141 - 2015-03-26 05:27:58 UTC  |  Edited by: w1ndstrike
MicroNova wrote:
If you want your stuff to be 100% safe keep it in an NPC station.

If you need some equipment for a deployment, then take what you are willing to risk.

Never fly what you aren't willing to lose the second you undock.

Loot is necessary to help motivate structure destruction, loot fairy takes what she needs, victor gets the rest.

ok, what do you propose to do for the people on hiatus from the game that have no idea this change is coming?

that is the core of this issue. not the risks in the future, its the risks to past actions made under a completely different set of assumptions that there was no reason to second guess at the time that they might ever change.

whatever happens will need to be carefully considered, UNLESS the devs do a one-time move of assets currently in outposts to "clean slate" the board. at that point nearly any design works because you can present the new set of risks as a choice, instead of an imposition.
Anthar Thebess
#142 - 2015-03-26 10:28:42 UTC
Probably every region have 1-2 NPC made stations.
I assume that they will be still the only ones not destroyable at any point ( good for history and eve law, leaves many possibles open for the future).

When applicable structure is destroyed in region , assets are being transferred :
To nearest Alliance Owned NPC XL structure or to nearest NPC made station.

If it is not owned by your alliance - well you will need to take it over.
Tiberius StarGazer
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#143 - 2015-03-26 14:41:34 UTC
I'm all in favour of the simplest option. How about an insurance style rebate?

So at the moment, you fly ship, you can insure it, you lose ship, you get the hull back, but no fittings. So at least your going to be able to buy the hull back. So how about apply the same sort of thing to stations.

Station explodes and all items drop based on a loot table. The player docked in station will if they log in over the next 48 hours will appear in whatever ship they were in somewhere randomly in a safe. If longer they log back in in their usual home station back in highsec in whatever ship they were in.

A mail message pops up explaining the station was destroyed but pend insurance has kindly reimbursed them the insurance value of their ship hulls and (maybe) the war market value of all modules - a %.

As for the loot, it drops and people can salvage and collect as per normal. Maybe eve repurpose the noctus with an ability to specifically salvage items from destroyed stations? Which will then prompt massive salvage operations which will be good fun to fight over?
Tiberius StarGazer
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#144 - 2015-03-26 14:42:31 UTC
Duplicate post.
Wulfy Johnson
NorCorp Security
#145 - 2015-03-26 14:48:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Wulfy Johnson
There is another solution that could be done, but dont know if its viable..

Planetary storage vaults..

Name pretty much says what im thinking..
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#146 - 2015-03-26 15:55:22 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Why would people bring large amounts of wealth to a destructible station? Strikes me as a silly decision.

They want to make all stations destructable.
Inevitably they will back off from this, and keep NPC stations in lowsec and highsec. So guess where everybody's going to move their stuff.
oohthey ioh
Doomheim
#147 - 2015-03-26 15:58:54 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Why would people bring large amounts of wealth to a destructible station? Strikes me as a silly decision.

Inevitably they will back off from this, and keep NPC stations in lowsec and highsec. So guess where everybody's going to move their stuff.

I think they are leaving null sec stations as non destructible, just outpost and pos's.
Marseillefrog
Blueprint Mania
#148 - 2015-03-26 19:07:41 UTC
New hacking mini game on a structure can drop anyone? P
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#149 - 2015-03-26 20:17:55 UTC
oohthey ioh wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

I think they are leaving null sec stations as non destructible, just outpost and pos's.

"Outpost" means "Station" in the current EVE. They are talking about transforming them into destructible structures. They have hinted at wanting to do this in highsec and nullsec, too. (I think they'll back off from this, though.)
w1ndstrike
White Talon Holdings
#150 - 2015-03-26 22:11:42 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:
oohthey ioh wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

"Outpost" means "Station" in the current EVE. They are talking about transforming them into destructible structures. They have hinted at wanting to do this in highsec and nullsec, too. (I think they'll back off from this, though.)

there are two types of structures that most people in eve call stations right now, nullsec player-built outposts, and true stations that have existed since the game was created.

currently the development team have indicated they would like to make changes that would render the player-built outposts only destructible, along with the new structures that will replace both outposts and POSes

the big problem is that there are a LOT of old player assets in these outposts, because of previous game mechanics and CCP indications that these would remain 'safe havens' for player assets

a big part of the design challenge is either designing a system that allows emergent gameplay without causing massive harm to affected players, or doing a one-time "clean slate" of all assets in null outposts to allow for a better design that will then not have to account for unsubscribed accounts/legacy assets.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#151 - 2015-03-26 23:53:32 UTC
As a wh gal I find this whole discussion of the safety of ones assets after you get your poop pushed in kind of amusing. I'm seeing a couple of 1000 eve players that really haven't embraced the core concept of loss that is eve. Very amusing indeed.

I'm seeing folks feeling entitled to the rewards of living in null but also demanding the safety of empire stations. This dicotamy is quite interesting.
w1ndstrike
White Talon Holdings
#152 - 2015-03-27 01:06:02 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
As a wh gal I find this whole discussion of the safety of ones assets after you get your poop pushed in kind of amusing. I'm seeing a couple of 1000 eve players that really haven't embraced the core concept of loss that is eve. Very amusing indeed.

I'm seeing folks feeling entitled to the rewards of living in null but also demanding the safety of empire stations. This dichotomy is quite interesting.

as a wormholer you made a conscious choice with full knowledge of the risks/rewards and with a specific set of expectations. you are correct is saying that loss is a part of eve, however in nearly all cases you know the risks before you choose (or not) to take them.

choice vs imposition is a big deal. impositions cause massive changes in player psychology because they set a precedent of "even if you calculate your risks you can still get ****** by changes on a whim" which is bad for the continued health of the game.

loss in eve should be meaningful, and usually that's a result of choosing to take a calculated risk and succeeding or failing. getting screwed by something you had no way to expect or plan for is not meaningful, its just **** game design.

basic premise: outpost destruction is cool, loss of assets for those that put them there when a different set of assumptions was in play is not.
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#153 - 2015-03-27 15:31:41 UTC
w1ndstrike wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:
oohthey ioh wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

there are two types of structures that most people in eve call stations right now, nullsec player-built outposts, and true stations that have existed since the game was created.

currently the development team have indicated they would like to make changes that would render the player-built outposts only destructible, along with the new structures that will replace both outposts and POSes

YOU see a difference between "outposts" and "stations" but I don't see any indication that the developers see "stations" as sacred and untouchable while they're re-designing "outposts". I'm pretty sure that whatever changes they're proposing are intended to affect both of them alike.
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#154 - 2015-03-27 15:35:01 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
I'm seeing a couple of 1000 eve players that really haven't embraced the core concept of loss that is eve.

Another high school kid that doesn't grasp the concept that there is life outside of EVE. If the game demands a 24 hour commitment, it will lose most of its players. Permanent loss of assets is a great mechanic when you are actually playing the game, not when it means you can't log out for a family vacation.
w1ndstrike
White Talon Holdings
#155 - 2015-03-27 15:57:24 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:

YOU see a difference between "outposts" and "stations" but I don't see any indication that the developers see "stations" as sacred and untouchable while they're re-designing "outposts". I'm pretty sure that whatever changes they're proposing are intended to affect both of them alike.

go check out the fanfest stream, ytterbium was pretty clear they mean outposts only (the things XL structures are designed to replace)
Sarah Eginald
Git R Done Resources
#156 - 2015-03-27 16:43:51 UTC
I say clean slate works good to clean all outposts of members that have in inactive or let there subscription lapse. After CCP does then change to a new system.

Simple idea to make use of station vaults. Stuff in hanger gets dropped as loot however if you have things in a station vault is has and emergency broadcast system that SOE gathers all the stuff and ships it to your home station. So you can put your ships and any high priced items in your station vault. if you forget or don't think about it then you loose your stuff.
Metal Icarus
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#157 - 2015-03-27 18:22:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Metal Icarus
As a reminder before you say "If I go on vacation it will get blown up!"

Currently:
If you go on vacation and the POS runs out of fuel, you're SOL.
If someone reinforces your POS and you don't respond, you're SOL.
If you don't put stront in your POS, you're SOL when they attack.

Anyways,

I am all for that optional insurance to transfer non-dropped loot to the nearest CORP office station upon outpost destruction. To prevent exploitation, put it on lockdown in the office until the insurance contract is paid.

If you go on vacation without dealing with your assets in space, that's like leaving your car at an airport parking lot unlocked for your whole vacation. I hear that is not a very smart thing to do.

The insurance can be optional, but without it, you're risking 100% to destruction/loot. The value of the insurance can be a ratio of value of the loot, m3 and distance to corp office.

I am referring to post 29 in this thread.
Tessaline
Sharknado Generation
#158 - 2015-03-27 18:47:08 UTC
As far as how to transition from the old system to the new system, there is an additional consideration. There are people with automatic monthly subscription that are letting their characters train, but don't log in or read the patch notes.

I'm starting to lean heavily towards an optional clean-slate. (Dons flame-resistant gear...)

After Patch:
A list of items in destructible station(s) is saved server-side. Only these items are eligible for relocation, to prevent abuse post-patch. (This way corps can't continuously transfer items to old characters to abuse the system.) (Unfortunately, pre-patch preparations are hard to account for.)
On each login, for a week until a selection is made, a popup appears if you have stuff in destructible station(s) with a link to explain what is happening.
Players who got the popup and didn't choose anything within a week, have their stuff moved to a station automatically after the timer expires.
If a station is destroyed before a player has chosen an option, their stuff is moved to a safe station. (Maybe from all destructible stations.)

Popup choices (select one):
1) Move ALL personal items from ALL destructible stations to a single high or low security station. (Low sec would be the only option for those with capital sized ships.)
2) Leave all items in all destructible stations

Once a player's stuff was moved, and they are logged in, a popup explains that their items (that were in destructible stations) have been automatically moved to another station (specified).

CCP options for people who don't login for 1-2 months after patch:
A) All characters that aren't logged in within 1 month (maybe two) will have their items moved automatically.
B) Save list of items, possibly forever, until the character logs in next. (I'm pretty sure this is a really bad option from a maintainability perspective...)

Though this can be abused to an extent, it is fair to everyone.
oohthey ioh
Doomheim
#159 - 2015-03-27 19:36:14 UTC  |  Edited by: oohthey ioh
Phig Neutron wrote:

During the steam they made it clear you keep your items so people use the player made structures over stations and has CCP has been referring to outpost and stations separately. plus there are lores be hide some stations.
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#160 - 2015-03-27 20:37:52 UTC
oohthey ioh wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:

During the steam they made it clear you keep your items so people use the player made structures over stations and has CCP has been referring to outpost and stations separately. plus there are lores be hide some stations.

Quoting in order to boggle future grammarian-archaeologists.
Dev blog states:
Quote:
There are currently five different types of structures available in the game, each with a unique purpose, which we shall quickly review now.

And then enumerates them: deployables, POCO, POS, sov structures, and Outposts. No distinction is made between player-built or NPC-owned outposts.

Then under the heading "Keep Calm, Your Stuff is Safe" it says "Not removing existing structures without transition time." In other words, existing structures will be removed.

I don't know what some dev might have said at Fanfest while drunk, but this is what they've written down. There is every indication that they are thinking about removing all stations and going over to the new system, albeit gradually.