These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Will CCP be hiring Marmites ?

First post
Author
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#161 - 2015-03-26 03:32:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:

Yes ganking is a criminal act and sine they neglected to bribe concord they are dealt with by that entity. What's your point? However if you pay off concord like a good law abiding citizen then the non consensual PvP is legal not criminal. Your statement is wrong

Please highlight in the above quote what exactly that was a rebuttal against?

The part about neglecting to bribe concord, as if as long as you pay the fee highsec PvP is 100% allowed. Which is completely belied by the ability to be in an NPC corp, where no bribe to facilitate PvP is possible - the only way to engage in it is through criminal activity.
Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#162 - 2015-03-26 03:36:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Mobadder Thworst
Drez Arthie wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
The problem with Eve retention is the fact that new players drift into the game without any sense of direction or opportunity. No one leads them to incursions, L4s, manufacturing, etc... Their main experience is trying to make a mining corp, getting curbstomped by marmite, and quitting the game.

Except that the ones who get ganked and curb stomped by Marmite have the highest retention rates.

Which makes the rest of your statement an obvious lie.

Please show us your data. Here's my data .. sadly anecdotal .. every indy/carebear looking character I see in space belongs to a corp/alliance that is or was recently dec'ed by Marmite, Deadly Fingertips and the like. This might be a good lesson in the realities of EVE, but it might also be a lesson that they should just go back to WoW. After all the wimps go back to WoW,who will you fight? Not each other, there seems to be a rule against that.

First, I'm a little thrown off by the idea of anecdotal data. But as you are from the center for advanced studies, I'm going to assume that term is legit.

The data isn't mine, it's in a study published by CCP in which they reviewed 80,000 accounts and determined that getting destroyed (presumably by nonconsensual pvp) in the first 15 days of playing makes a newbro substantially more likely to stick with the game.

The discussion here is 2 parts:
1) why have we been changing all the rules to prevent something that is both fun for us and profitable for CCP.
2) what should be done about it?

I personally think Veers was on the right path about that collaborative highsec thing.

There is absolutely no way the Marmites can pop each noob in his first 15 days. Resource and time limitations are a very real problem.

I think we all need to pull together to make this happen. If I may be so bold, I would dub this program "no noob left behind".

If CCP rules catch up to times on this important issue, I hope we can all pull together and make this a reality.

We have to do this for the children...
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#163 - 2015-03-26 03:41:03 UTC
All Marmite are effective at doing is getting people to drop corp and stick to npc/1man corps. Stifling social interaction in highsec is not a victory, rather it the height of counterproductive behavior.
Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#164 - 2015-03-26 03:43:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Mobadder Thworst
Veers Belvar wrote:
All Marmite are effective at doing is getting people to drop corp and stick to npc/1man corps. Stifling social interaction in highsec is not a victory, rather it the height of counterproductive behavior.

Which is why we need can flipping too. There is no way to do it with wars, the cost would be staggering.

I absolutely agree with you, there is no way the Marmites can do it alone!

No noob left behind! Let's lead the collaboration, Veers!
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#165 - 2015-03-26 03:45:59 UTC
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Which is why we need can flipping too.

Yes, everyone knows about the old eve, where new players were exposed to nonstop griefing and curbstomping by bittervets. Guess what? It was bad for business, bad for new player retention, and got chucked out the window.
Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#166 - 2015-03-26 03:49:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Mobadder Thworst
Veers Belvar wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Which is why we need can flipping too.

Yes, everyone knows about the old eve, where new players were exposed to nonstop griefing and curbstomping by bittervets. Guess what? It was bad for business, bad for new player retention, and got chucked out the window.

Wait, what? Why did you change your mind? I thought you wanted to collaborate?

What about the 80,000 person study...? It said we need to do this for the children.

Don't you like children, Veers?
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#167 - 2015-03-26 04:29:24 UTC
Lets skip back a little here.
Veers Belvar wrote:

Go shoot up the newbie systems and let CCP know your opinions of the matter. Highsec is designed to be lawful, and nonconsensual PvP is a criminal act there.

To which I rebutted by saying

Yes ganking is a criminal act and sine they neglected to bribe concord they are dealt with by that entity. What's your point? However if you pay off concord like a good law abiding citizen then the non consensual PvP is legal not criminal. Your statement is wrong

Then suddenly 'Highsec' became Veers Belvar?

That about sums it up no?

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#168 - 2015-03-26 04:39:00 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

Go shoot up the newbie systems and let CCP know your opinions of the matter. Highsec is designed to be lawful, and nonconsensual PvP is a criminal act there.

The point is that the game is already designed to make it impossible to shoot at you in highsec without concord intervention UNLESS you voluntarily elect to join a player corp and not drop when wardecced. There is no general consequence free nonconsensual pvp by paying concord off.
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#169 - 2015-03-26 04:53:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Noragen Neirfallas
Veers Belvar wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

The point is that the game is already designed to make it impossible to shoot at you in highsec without concord intervention UNLESS you voluntarily elect to join a player corp and not drop when wardecced. There is no general consequence free nonconsensual pvp by paying concord off.

So what you really meant to say was in Highsec Concord will avenge you if and only if you are not agressed by someone at war with you, Not killed by somebody inside your corp (if that option is on), don't somehow enter into a 5 minute limited engagement timer making you legal to be shot at or are not already suspect yourself

Either that or it was NaNaNa you can't get me
or (and I think this the more likely option)
You were creating content for THIS

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Faylee Freir
Slavers Union
Something Really Pretentious
#170 - 2015-03-26 06:44:42 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

You aren't telling the whole truth here... People will hide in their own trash 1-man corps regardless if marmites or any other group sends wardecs their way. Let's be honest here: a LOT of people want to be left alone in their own little bubble and play their game as safe and tax free as possible. That is fine with me (to a certain degree) but at some point the sandbox kicks in and is going to remind that risk adverse loner that he is playing eve with other people weather he wants to face it or not. Sure the guy playing alone is making money for CCP, but what is he doing socially to make this game grow for the better? Veers, you need a dose of reality.
Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#171 - 2015-03-26 07:49:44 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
The part about neglecting to bribe concord, as if as long as you pay the fee highsec PvP is 100% allowed. Which is completely belied by the ability to be in an NPC corp, where no bribe to facilitate PvP is possible - the only way to engage in it is through criminal activity.
I agree with Veers, we should be able to war dec the NPC's too. Even if its at a higher rate than other normal alliances.

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Kaely Tanniss
Black Lotus Society.
#172 - 2015-03-26 08:02:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaely Tanniss
Veers Belvar wrote:

Completely untrue. You should be more specific in your assessment of the situation there Veers. I believe the correct way to say it is Marmite is effective at making YOU drop corp and stick to npc/1 man corps. But...let's be fair here...any corp that decs you will cause you to drop corp. I have tested this theory on more than one occasion..either by me, an alt, or a friend. THIS is what the problem is. CCP has allowed the risk averse to to dodge the inevitable in a game that is based around inevitable space conflicts.

There are ways to survive a war with a foe that is larger or better than you....and I mean more than just dropping corp, hiding in station, not logging on, or doing your business with an alt for the duration. I shouldn't have to spell it out for you. If you do not know what these things are, that is a problem..and exactly why the risk averse continuously have issues with wars and ganking. Step up and learn the game.

TBH, until you have stepped into the shoes of a PvPer and actually done something, you really don't have a right to complain about it imo. It does not make someone a "hero" to try to be an advocate for or speak against something they know nothing about. In fact, it makes one look foolish. It's easy to point fingers and blame others..but the real blame lies on yourself. The question is, will you keep running and blaming others...or will you take responsibility for your own mistakes and do something about it. hmmm? Roll

....and this isn't just directed at you...

If I had a nickel for every time someone said women don't play eve, I'd have a bag of nickels to whack the next person who said it..

Danalee
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#173 - 2015-03-26 08:03:28 UTC
Tora Bushido wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
I agree with Veers, we should be able to war dec the NPC's too. Even if its at a higher rate than other normal alliances.

See... I just had an eppi... epafi... fipanifi... GREAT IDEA thanks to you two!

Since all carebears are allowed to shoot NPC's all day, it's only logical that all players are allowed to shoot NPC's and people in NPC corps?! Only a player corp get's you CONCORD retribution unless someone bribed them, than you are on your own.

^^ It's maybe a bit rough but I think this is a diamond in the making.
I welcome the community's feedback.

D.

Bear

Proud member of the Somalian Coast Guard Authority

Member and Juror of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Faylee Freir
Slavers Union
Something Really Pretentious
#174 - 2015-03-26 08:10:26 UTC
Kaely Tanniss wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Completely untrue. You should be more specific in your assessment of the situation there Veers. I believe the correct way to say it is Marmite is effective at making YOU drop corp and stick to npc/1 man corps. But...let's be fair here...any corp that decs you will cause you to drop corp. I have tested this theory on more than one occasion..either by me, an alt, or a friend. THIS is what the problem is. CCP has allowed the risk averse to to dodge the inevitable in a game that is based around inevitable space conflicts.

There are ways to survive a war with a foe that is larger or better than you....and I mean more than just dropping corp, hiding in station, not logging on, or doing your business with an alt for the duration. I shouldn't have to spell it out for you. If you do not know what these things are, that is a problem..and exactly why the risk averse continuously have issues with wars and ganking. Step up and learn the game.

TBH, until you have stepped into the shoes of a PvPer and actually done something, you really don't have a right to complain about it imo. It does not make someone a "hero" to try to be an advocate for or speak against something they know nothing about. In fact, it makes one look foolish. It's easy to point fingers and blame others..but the real blame lies on yourself. The question is, will you keep running and blaming others...or will you take responsibility for your own mistakes and do something about it. hmmm? Roll

....and this isn't just directed at you...

Bingo! Why should anyone have a free exit out of a war when a group pays a minimum of 50m? I agree the defender should always have options, but folding your corp over is surrendering... Let's attach hefty fees to closing a corp during war.
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#175 - 2015-03-26 09:36:00 UTC
So to get us back on topic. I call a vote.

All those in favour of veers spearheading the 'No NewBro Left Behind' initiative?

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#176 - 2015-03-26 09:42:44 UTC
/me Raises Hand

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#177 - 2015-03-26 10:07:39 UTC
Let's not make this another Veers post. This griefer has derailed enough good posts.

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#178 - 2015-03-26 10:19:04 UTC
This is about the children tho tora. Fine fine. Either way if 'somebody' headed up this I would donate time and ammo towards it. I've killed many newbros then convoed replaced ship and given advise/guidance. It's quite rewarding I hope for both parties.

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#179 - 2015-03-26 11:49:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Mobadder Thworst
I think Veers flip-flops too much on important issues.

I think he was just telling me what I wanted to hear for my support. I feel a little betrayed, in a way.

Still, someone has to lead this. It's too important to fail.

NO NEWBRO LEFT BEHIND
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#180 - 2015-03-26 12:07:43 UTC
Well sir you have my albeit limited support. I'd volunteer but keeping all my alts in line is a full time job as is...

ISD Buldath favorite ISD