These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New player help

Author
Alric Grimes
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-03-26 00:05:55 UTC
Hi guys, so let me give you an idea to how far ive gotten.

So ive started with the gallente faction and ive made it as far to buy a cruiser class ship. I love PvE (specifically fighting enemy nps and engaging in space battles). I almost never PvP. Ive done missions but just random ones. My net worth is like 4 million ISK. I want to continue to do PvE. Can someone kinda just point me in a good direction to earn more ISK doing the PvE that i like (fighting) in order to buy better ships and earn more money and just basically progress in the game?

Big smile thanks alot
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2015-03-26 00:15:04 UTC
Okay well for one you;re in the militia unless I'm mistaken.

That is a primarily PVP based part of the game. You essentially joined the Gallente military to help them take over and defend space in lowsec from the other factions who have players doing the same.

There is SOME PVE involved but all of it is in the interest of eventually doing PVP.

For PVE I'd say you have 3 main routes:
- Missions - work for combat agents up to level 4
- Exploration sites - finding anoms and complexes to fight the pirate bases
- A branch of this you can try is going into WHs to kill sleepers
- Incursions - helping fight back against the sansha invasions. These are all fleet based and generally require some decent skills with a battleship or T2 logi cruiser before even starting.

Keep in mind though that PVE is largely a means to an end, it usually isn't the end itself. The PVE can get boring and tedious when left to itself... unless that's your thing.

The Drake is a Lie

Paranoid Loyd
#3 - 2015-03-26 00:57:46 UTC
If you are going to be sticking around you don't necessarily need to actively seek PVP, but you do need to understand that you can't avoid it.

That being said, you should learn survival and evasion tactics, doing the faction warfare PVE will help you learn these things.

It will also provide you decent isk and discounted access to faction ships.

Read this

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#4 - 2015-03-26 01:42:19 UTC
If the OP is into PvE primarily is being in a fac war corp a really good idea?
Or might he be better served by finding a non- fac war corp tp join?
L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#5 - 2015-03-26 03:53:26 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
If the OP is into PvE primarily is being in a fac war corp a really good idea?
Or might he be better served by finding a non- fac war corp tp join?

That really depends on the OP.
If he is ok with learning evasion tactics in low sec, there is quite a bit of PVE ISK out there.

- belts ( modus and tag spawns )
- FW missions
- group lvl 5 missions
- missions in general
- exploration goodies
- salvage

If the idea of having to react to other folk ( even if not actually fighting ) doesn't appeal, then yes, a single character tax evasion account would be best for the few months before he statistically quits out of boredom :)
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2015-03-26 04:02:38 UTC
Mission running is a good starting place for PvE depending on how PvP averse you are there are other things you can do but mission running and incursions are probably the biggest PvE earning potential in high sec. Incursions while in theory early on you could run them you'd need to make some friends as they can't be soloed and most of the groups that run them regularly will want you in usually a BS with decent skills or a logi with highish skills.

You can make good isk in null sec running anomalies or through exploration and if you pick the right situation it can be with very little contact with players that are looking to shoot at you.

Wormholes can be good isk for PvE as well but it is much harder to avoid PvP in wormholes. Not impossible just takes more effort.

Null sec belt ratting can be decent isk as well but it's more of an RNG thing than anoms as you are counting on getting some lucky drops from faction spawns.

I'm not sure if minning is considered PvE but it does not involve much shooting at NPC ships more shooting at defenseless asteroids.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Riel Saigo
Facta.Non.Verba
#7 - 2015-03-26 04:49:45 UTC
Or you could fit a warp core stabbed Venture and farm Faction Warfare complexes for loyalty points to convert to ISK.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-03-26 05:27:03 UTC
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Or, he could pay attention and use a ship that's, you know, effective.

Grrr.

Riel Saigo
Facta.Non.Verba
#9 - 2015-03-26 06:22:45 UTC
Oh, it was mostly a tongue and cheek jab at one of the farming tactics that I know used to really tick off FW players.

For all I know, the game mechanics don't even support it anymore, since I never actually tried faction warfare.

:P
Null Infinity
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2015-03-26 09:03:40 UTC
FW, as the rest of low sec is to get PvP fun, not ISK. At least from the beginning.

Go to Simela and run security missions for SoE. You will have to drop Gal mil for this. You can run L1 and L2 SoE missions in minmatar space as well, but for L3 SoE security missions you will have to go to Simela any way. After you get to +5 standing, you can go to Lanngisi and join Gal militia again. SoE LP store (you get LP for missions) is one of the best since you can always sell sisters core probe lauchners for insane money.

Or you can work for Astral mining inc. and sell nexus chips. Less money but you can stay in Gallente space all the time.

There is also possibility to work for Minmatar corps in sothern Sinq Laison (even better LP, than SoE sometimes), but it will require to accept each and every mission against amarr to utilise their LP. Your standings vs empire will be -10 in no time...

Your friends here are
dotlan map
How to run missions (what to tank, what to shot in what order, what kind of damage to apply)
LP Store (what to convert your LP)

New mining menthods: interactive mining and comet mining

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2015-03-26 09:19:48 UTC
Riel Saigo wrote:
Oh, it was mostly a tongue and cheek jab at one of the farming tactics that I know used to really tick off FW players.

For all I know, the game mechanics don't even support it anymore, since I never actually tried faction warfare.

:P

Ohh. Gotcha. Yeah, having lived in FW space for some months, stabbed farmers were definitely annoying. Might want to keep the tongue in cheek advice elsewhere though, don't want our newbros getting into bad habits now do we Blink.

Grrr.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-03-26 10:30:27 UTC
Question to OP, what are you going to do with all the ISK piling up in your wallet while doing PvE?

I'm my own NPC alt.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#13 - 2015-03-26 11:35:11 UTC
Alric Grimes wrote:
Hi guys, so let me give you an idea to how far ive gotten.

So ive started with the gallente faction and ive made it as far to buy a cruiser class ship. I love PvE (specifically fighting enemy nps and engaging in space battles). I almost never PvP. Ive done missions but just random ones. My net worth is like 4 million ISK. I want to continue to do PvE. Can someone kinda just point me in a good direction to earn more ISK doing the PvE that i like (fighting) in order to buy better ships and earn more money and just basically progress in the game?

Big smile thanks alot

when you get bored of "levelling your raven" come play with the rest of us, then you will progress.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#14 - 2015-03-26 12:12:36 UTC
Exploration in low-sec will let you earn isk with about the same risk of PvP as FW, without actually forcing you to stay in the FW areas. Many exploration sites are reasonably combat-heavy for the usual ship sizes and layouts as well if you like beating on the NPCs.

As far as 'more of the same, but escalating the difficulty gradually' like a normal MMO, though, higher-level missions are about it.

I guess if you want LESS risk of PvP than high sec you could sign on with one of the deep null-sec corporations, they're mostly just stationary NPC respawn farmers.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-03-26 13:13:14 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Uhm, technically Riel is entirely correct using your logic.

To effectively farm LP, you want a ship that can orbit a beacon (any ship will do) and doesn't get caught (Venture with it's stab bonus + low slots filled is a touch ship to catch).

Then again, at that point, you are a farmer and should just leave EVE. But that last part, is just personal opinion.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#16 - 2015-03-26 13:18:06 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

To effectively farm LP, you want a ship that can orbit a beacon (any ship will do) and doesn't get caught (Venture with it's stab bonus + low slots filled is a touch ship to catch).

Then again, at that point, you are a farmer and should just leave EVE. But that last part, is just personal opinion.

You don't need to point a venture, just lock and pop it.

True sansa will do it though if needs be.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2015-03-26 13:47:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

True, but you shouldn't be getting caught in a FW plex if you're not looking for a fight anyway. Minimum range 360 degree d-scan, anything pops up? GTFO. The warp stabs and using a Venture can work of course, but isn't optimal. It provides a player with a large margin for error of course (didn't alt tab back to EVE in time), so "farmer" type playing as you put it. I'm assuming the OP wants to play the game though, not afk farm LP, in which case a stabbed Venture is suboptimal.

TL;DR: I agree, the OPs activity level will dictate whether it's a valid choice or not. Assuming the OP wants to actually play the game, I find it's a suboptimal choice.

Grrr.

Syrilian
Doomheim
#18 - 2015-03-26 13:56:41 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Aww, J'Poll I thought you liked me :P. Seriously though, I am mostly a farmer at this point unless I am in a fleet. I simply do not have the skills to engage in solo PVP at this point.

So till then, I farm.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#19 - 2015-03-26 14:01:32 UTC
Syrilian wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

Aww, J'Poll I thought you liked me :P. Seriously though, I am mostly a farmer at this point unless I am in a fleet. I simply do not have the skills to engage in solo PVP at this point.

So till then, I farm.

Well you're never going to learn farming now are you.
Syrilian
Doomheim
#20 - 2015-03-26 14:07:23 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Syrilian wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Azda Ja wrote:
Riel Saigo wrote:
warp core stabbed

So till then, I farm.

Well you're never going to learn farming now are you.

Oh I have learned plenty. And its not that I am adverse to getting into fights. If I am in a fleet, I am all for fighting. But one of the things I have learned about PVP is part of it is knowing when to fight and right now that is not often.
12Next page