These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Game too grindy

Author
Ka'Narlist
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#61 - 2015-03-25 12:24:49 UTC
Legion Masser wrote:
Im a freshie , what the hell is a Renter?

Someone who rents space in null sec from someone else. So you have to pay several billion isk each month to your landlord to carebear in null sec instead of high sec.
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#62 - 2015-03-25 13:17:07 UTC
Artax Deschaine wrote:
Another observation i've made since starting EVE back in august of 2014 is this game is extremely grindy, requiring extensive training and requiring alot of play time to succeed in anything. MMO's have shifted towards a more casual play. The thing i have hated about the old style MMO's of the late 1990's and earlier millenial years, and a big factor on how long i played any game at a given time is how much of a grind it became and the lack of end game content.

I've played MMO's since the 1990's and i can tell you gaming has evolved and come a long way, but i have begun to find that this game is too much of a grind for me too play much at any given time, especially since i'm the dad of a 2 year old boy now. It's just hard for me to get involved in and really enjoy, being a lover of many things sci-fi. It has been a pleasure to switch over from swords and sorcery however.

I know this is an old game, but i would love to see this game shift over to more casual play style. I know the hearts, and bodies of gamers all over the world would be greatful to not have to sit here and get blood clots in their legs, and get closer to heart disease trying to make it in the EVE world!

I looked at the name of your alliance and laughed out loud. if you want to have fun playing this game join RvB, CODE. or BRAVE or anybody else but a renter alliance ffs.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#63 - 2015-03-25 13:46:54 UTC
please tell me a game that doesn't require grinding for massive amounts of money or experience?

the eve skill system is the best thing ever, while I may have to train 1-2 months for some of my lvl 5 skills, I can have skills that let me do other things that other people cant do.
ive ticked off greifers that depended on EW by my ability to switch between ship types and races.
the skill system should allow you to take care of your kids and train your skills so you can do more advanced things, want to make fast isk so you don't have to grind, go to wormholes, incursions, or anoms and you can spend the rest of your time floating around in space, even killing people gets old and becomes a "Grind", which is why CCP constantly has to change things instead of fixing things because so many players QQ of something is boring to them.

One of the most boring activities to people like mining is enjoyable to me, I spend my time crunching the numbers on various items, looking at potential profit, scanning the markets and contracts to determine the supply and demand.

Grinding isn't even directly related to MMOs but RPGs in general, which does apply to every MMO as ive not seen an MMO that you can play and beat in under 6 hours and retain players that would continue paying to play.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Hipqo
Tyde8
#64 - 2015-03-25 14:57:10 UTC
You litterely dont have to play, to get progress (skillpoints), making ISK is easy, even in hisec.

The words you are looking for arent "Game too grindy" but "Game requires alot of persistence", as in you need to dedicate yourself to the game, learn mechanics and spend a long time training, to be able to do what you wanna do.
This is not an insta-gratification game, and will most likely never be one.

Nothing in EVE is grindy, unless you decide to make it grindy, for some weird reason.
If you dont like doing what you are doing, do something else. Plenty to pick from.

A life is best lived, to not step into your grave in a well preserved body. Instead, to slide in side ways, all battered and bruised, screamming, "Holy SH**! What a ride!"

Syrilian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2015-03-25 15:50:11 UTC
The game is only grindy if you decide you have to have all the best skills at V before you attempt to do something.
bonkerss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2015-03-25 15:57:58 UTC
eve is not grind as long as you keep clear of pve! as soon as you try to make isk with shooting npc's i you are doomed to boredom. i would say eve is probably the game with the worst pve i have ever played. but then it makes up for the probably best pvp i have ever done:)

anyway as stated before: if you can afford it sell a plex get in a inty/frig/destroyer/bomber and go pvp for months without having to worry about your wallet!:)
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#67 - 2015-03-25 16:10:16 UTC
This reads like you think it's a feature that games give you quick fixes of satisfaction.
It's not. It's this way, because they want to turn you into an addict.

The MMO industry DEvolved into creating games that make you want to play
by specifically targetting your lower instincts.

You, sir, are a victim of this.
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Desimus Maximus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#68 - 2015-03-25 16:20:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Desimus Maximus
Ha, CFC member whining about the state of the game. That's rich.

1-year-old child : "Mom, i just crapped in my pants.... I don't like sitting in my crap"
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#69 - 2015-03-25 16:38:56 UTC
Artax Deschaine wrote:
Another observation i've made since starting EVE back in august of 2014 is this game is extremely grindy, requiring extensive training and requiring alot of play time to succeed in anything.

That's because this game requires a modicum of effort, some attempt at thought before pushing a button and, well, let's just say the much-lamented "learning cliff" still keeps a fair number of morons safe in the natural habitats of console games where they belong.

Perhaps you should just quit now ?

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#70 - 2015-03-25 17:57:48 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
Artax Deschaine wrote:
Another observation i've made since starting EVE back in august of 2014 is this game is extremely grindy, requiring extensive training and requiring alot of play time to succeed in anything.

That's because this game requires a modicum of effort, some attempt at thought before pushing a button and, well, let's just say the much-lamented "learning cliff" still keeps a fair number of morons safe in the natural habitats of console games where they belong.

Perhaps you should just quit now ?

I have a corp mate that needs to do this, he just came back into the game, a guy I knew in the military and I have to put EVERYTHING im doing on hold to hold his hand as he can not think, the wheels spinning but the hamster is dead

it took me 12 hrs to convince him you need more ammo in your ship then whats in your guns for a mission, he was running to the market during every mission, he then goes and buys 300k of ammo and says "umm..it doesn't fit in my ship" at which point I did a double facepalm

he told me he was going to go eat during the middle of a mission, I figured he would warp off....noo he stayed in the mission while we went and took an hour to eat dinner...its like wtf over.

Even killing other players can be grindy and boring between looking for targets or just killing so many. I play long enough to get my plex and go about flying around doing what I want in eve that I feel like doing that very moment

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#71 - 2015-03-25 18:08:48 UTC
OP, you're in a renter alliance. There is literally no other reason for them to exist other than to grind isk for the landlord. If you want content with a low barrier of entry, go join RvB or BNI. Word on the street is that BNI is in need of new bodies to throw to PL the dogs.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#72 - 2015-03-25 18:15:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Baaldor
Grind? yeah ok when it took a week or two just to get enough cash/resources together just get a decent cruiser. Now of course this was in 05' and your peak night was maybe 2500-3000 peeps.

It is no longer a grind, the ISK faucet has been left wide open, and if you can't rat up a Battle ship in a couple hours...you are doing it wrong.
Torviak Sandman
Doomheim
#73 - 2015-03-25 18:19:26 UTC
To be honest, back in the beginning, you really had a hard ass time to probe any complex down. Belt ratting was lucrative only in a few negative systems where officers used to spawn. Getting a, for example, Kaikka was a big deal!! You would think 3 times before going into a fight with a vagabond or megathron!

Now, you make 100m in 15 mins....

It did kinda get boring...