These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

PLEX for VR HMD

First post
Author
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#1 - 2015-03-24 07:22:57 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
Back in April 2012 CCP announced at Fanfest a partnership with Nvidia to bring us capsuleers the opportunity to acquire video cards with PLEX. It wasn't supposed to be a one time offer and there was even an interview given by the EVE Online Executive Producer at the time where he stated

Jon Lander wrote:
It was an interesting experiment and one we’re going to follow up, as it was more successful than I was hoping, there’s obviously quite an appetite out there to doing this sort of thing. We’re certainly hoping for EVE merchandise. We need to just look at what the right opportunities are now. We’ve got lots of people beavering away trying to work out what the right thing to do is.

Look no further Mr Lander! The right opportunty is here! With the upcoming EVE Valkyrie simulator EVE Online capsuleers will find themselves in need to acquire a PC compatible VR HMD in order to join the fun. That's why I think this would be the perfect time for CCP to partner with a PC compatible VR HMD manufacturer (Oculus/Samsung/HTC) and make us a PLEX for VR HMD offer!

If you guys share this point of view please like this post and comment in this thread showing your support! Maybe we can get CCP's attention and be rewarded with the PLEX for VR HMD offer!
minumin
Corellian Trading Corporation
#2 - 2015-03-24 08:19:18 UTC
yes please :)
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#3 - 2015-03-24 10:09:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Godfrey Silvarna
I like this idea. This would likely be an excellent PLEX sink. I believe the video card event was motivated by the desire to take some PLEX away from those who have stockpiled hundreds or thousands, so there would be a smaller risk of one of them crashing the market just for ***** and giggles. This should archieve the same effect, and these plex stockpilers existing is a good reason in favour of this idea, not against it.

I'd buy one.
Ticondrius
Void Regulation
#4 - 2015-03-25 00:30:35 UTC
I would buy one of the upcoming modern VRHMDs with PLEX. Then again, I know how to make about 20-25% over what I invest in the EVE markets...
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#5 - 2015-03-25 01:17:24 UTC
If CCP wants this VR thing to be successful, what the OP is suggesting is exactly what they should be doing.

They'll get all kinds of write-ups in the gaming press ( you take free advertising where you can) and maybe in the mainstream press as well. On top of that there'll be a bunch of people making nice threads on day one of the release as they will not need to wait for the few brave souls to go out and pay cash for HMDs just to beta test a new game.

Mr Epeen Cool
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#6 - 2015-03-25 10:16:50 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
^^ That's a good point Mr Epeen, Besides giving the opportunity to all capsuleers to acquire a headset and play EVE Valkyrie, it will be a good way to advertise both EVE Valkyrie and EVE Online. I'm sure it will gather the interest of a lot of people who will come try the game and probably subscribe their accounts, enticed by the possibility of acquiring VR headsets with in-game currency.

I think this time some adjustments to the terms and conditions of the offer would need to be made, like raising the number of units offered and changing the offer price to around 40 PLEX since the VR headsets are considerably more expensive than the Nvidia cards offered last time (around double the price).
2Sonas1Cup
#7 - 2015-03-26 11:09:53 UTC
Oh man if we could get stuff like video cards etc for PLEXs, the PLEXs would sky rocket in price, literally

Wish they would though :)
Anthar Thebess
#8 - 2015-03-26 11:45:04 UTC
2Sonas1Cup wrote:
Oh man if we could get stuff like video cards etc for PLEXs, the PLEXs would sky rocket in price, literally

Wish they would though :)

At this point there is a grate danger to eve.
"Ok guys need to play a bit , as my wife wants new TV. "
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#9 - 2015-03-26 12:41:49 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.

The Rules:
22. Posting regarding RMT (Real Money Trading) is prohibited.

Posts discussing, linking to, or advertising RMT, including but not limited to the sale of in game items, assets, currency, characters or game accounts for real life money are strictly prohibited.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#10 - 2015-03-26 13:05:09 UTC
Why does there need to be another PLEX sink?

The price of PLEX is has been very stable for the past several months, especially since the input broadcasting ban was announced. If CCP were to announce such a program that price would go through the roof
Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#11 - 2015-03-26 15:04:57 UTC
Probably should have pointed that out to CCP Unifex before he moved on from CCP.

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#12 - 2015-03-26 16:13:08 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Why does there need to be another PLEX sink?

The price of PLEX is has been very stable for the past several months, especially since the input broadcasting ban was announced. If CCP were to announce such a program that price would go through the roof

What the OP is talking about is a promotion.

There would be a blip in prices temporarily like happened in the video card promotion. Find something legit to get worked up over.

Mr Epeen Cool
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-03-26 20:08:34 UTC  |  Edited by: sabre906
No. It's basically channeling subscription money that could otherwise go to CCP, to Nvidia, while decreasing the number of characters in game. Both harms Eve. The player base has only so much appetite in buying plex, it's not an unlimited resource.

We don't need to send money to Nvidia and give graphics cards to rl poor eve rich no lifers, to the detriment of CCP, Eve, and everyone else.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#14 - 2015-03-26 23:18:18 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
sabre906 wrote:
No. It's basically channeling subscription money that could otherwise go to CCP, to Nvidia, while decreasing the number of characters in game. Both harms Eve. The player base has only so much appetite in buying plex, it's not an unlimited resource.

We don't need to send money to Nvidia and give graphics cards to rl poor eve rich no lifers, to the detriment of CCP, Eve, and everyone else.

This is nonsense. "PLEX for VR" Do you see that? You want a better way to promote PLEX, EVE Online and EVE Valkyrie? The media write-ups will be everywhere and tons of people will come play the game to get headsets. PLEX prices will go up yes, and is that a bad thing for CCP's business? Or is it valuing PLEX itself, rewarding with more isk the people who buy them, and making more people pay their subscriptions with real money?
The partnership with the headset manufacturer makes them dirtcheap to CCP and the ammount spent will be a pittance compared to the revenue gained with the event.

Get real man. This is an excellent opportunity both for the players and CCP.
Anthar Thebess
#15 - 2015-03-27 07:42:35 UTC
raven666wings wrote:
sabre906 wrote:

This is nonsense. "PLEX for VR" Do you see that? You want a better way to promote PLEX, EVE Online and EVE Valkyrie? The media write-ups will be everywhere and tons of people will come play the game to get headsets. PLEX prices will go up yes, and is that a bad thing for CCP's business? Or is it valuing PLEX itself, rewarding with more isk the people who buy them, and making more people pay their subscriptions with real money?
The partnership with the headset manufacturer makes them dirtcheap to CCP and the ammount spent will be a pittance compared to the revenue gained with the event.

Get real man. This is an excellent opportunity both for the players and CCP.

Sorry but what kind of promotion is Plex for VR.

No one from outside of the game will have no use in it.
- Because he will not have plexes to do it.
- Creating account in eve , just to buy plexes ( from CCP ) ... just to buy VR will not happen. It will be cheaper just to buy VR itself.
- The only people that actually will buy those VR sets will be players that accumulated plexes via some kind of ISK grind.

So we are going to talk about exchanging ISK for RL item.
Also like someone pointed out - cash that was made by CCP will go elsewhere.

Remember that NO ONE will buy plexes from CCP just to buy VR ( it will be cheaper to buy one from the market).
All plexes used for this operation will be bought from market using isk.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#16 - 2015-03-27 10:29:18 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Anthar Thebess wrote:
And all those PLEXes bought on the market for Isk were originally bought from CCP for real life money by players and then put on the market for Isk.

That said, I have removed a rule breaking post and the one quoting it.

The Rules:
12. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a support ticket under the Community & Forums Category.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Anthar Thebess
#17 - 2015-03-27 11:38:27 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Anthar Thebess wrote:
And all those PLEXes bought on the market for Isk were originally bought from CCP for real life money by players and then put on the market for Isk.

That said, I have removed a rule breaking post and the one quoting it.

The Rules:
12. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a support ticket under the Community & Forums Category.

Agree.
My point is simple :
In order for CCP to be "safe" value of plexes must be higher than item value.
Why ?
Because plex depending on country cost different amount.
Lets just compare price of plex in USA, EU , Russia.

This leads us to simple conclusion it will be cheaper to buy item off the market , rather than buy enough plexes from CCP and then buy item.

Lets also not forget us that CCP do not produce VR.
So CCP will need to use RL currency to buy items for this promotion - so all $ that some people invested in game because of this operation will leave CCP wallet.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#18 - 2015-03-28 03:17:06 UTC  |  Edited by: raven666wings
^^ This fellow is either trying to derail the thread or has a really low IQ/high reading comprehension deficit. I'd like to think it's the first one but right now I'm more inclined to the second. In any case I don't wanna get some sort of brain cancer so I'm going to refrain from countering his rants and let ISD's do their job.

To the people interested in the offer, don't stop posting and showing your support! Let's show CCP we want this to happen!
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#19 - 2015-03-28 04:58:32 UTC
when they did the GFX card for plex I don't remember plex spiking too much. then again I think the sale was rather limited and sold out much faster than CCP anticipated.

also I'm not sure that it will cause plex to spike too much, if I remember right there was a rather large premium between plex dollar value and gfx card dollar value. easier for me to make $ irl and buy a headset than trade plex.

meh even if plex does spike

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Antonia Iskarius
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2015-03-28 05:32:54 UTC
Yes please. Using Plex to buy a VR headset to zoom around and dogfight with would remove a lot of the salty taste in my mouth from the (super)carrier nerfs. If I can't delegate fighters in Eve i can at least pilot them myself in Valkyrie :)
123Next pageLast page