These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

T3 invention + Production (short question)

Author
Grusel Musel
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-03-24 09:20:39 UTC
Hi,

just took a short look on T3 production as I have never done this before. But I am doing T1 and T2 for a long time, so in general I do know how to calculate profits.

Is T3 Cruiser production currently just not profitable or do I overlook something very obvious. I tried to verify my own calculation but could not find an online tool, that can help me with this question. Is there one?

Thanks for your help. :)
Busje Komt Zo
Antwerpse Kerels
SLYCE Pirates
#2 - 2015-03-24 11:09:01 UTC
I looked into T3 production a few months ago and from what I can tell it is possible to make a profit, just not a very large one. I basically decided I was better off doing T2 production instead.

It is possible to make a lot more profit if you do reactions yourself, but that is kind of an involved process that I could not be bothered with (in addition to doing industry) myself.
dirtydebbs
the wreking crew
#3 - 2015-03-24 11:16:04 UTC
t3 production used to be but these days ther eis mor etight margins and with usless subs out there market is very tight, added the fact the isk sink to manufacture them and then add in the way to make good isk is to move around with the lesser system index's its a massive risk reward scenario, so it swops and changes and everyone takes turns lol

good low index so good profits u smash it for a month then ure index goes up and so do costs and prices go down then its to expensive to manufacture for profit then you stop and some oen else takes ove till ther eindex lowers and after a month or two ure index is good and u start full circle,

to get around this wh space null sec manufacturing could be good but then you have to transport so even more risk reward decisions,

at the moment t3 manufacturing is in a bad place especial as the RE index is now put into invention INDEX so even if your the only t3 manufacturer in ure system if everyone is researching invention you are then put into the same slot for installation costs,

the eas of choosing the sub you want to make ruind market the extra costs for producing, then ontop of that the fact everyone is only making the good ones cos the rest are so bad the market stagnates from time to time while people shut up shop for a bit to let market re settle ect,

dont get me wrong its still good to a point for random small amounts producing but i wouldnt invest heavily into it
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-03-24 11:54:16 UTC
The app linked in my signature will help you with T3 profits. I haven't done it in a long time but there are a lot of pieces to it. Just takes a bit of time to set up. Now that they removed the random chance to get a subsystem, it seems less of a pain.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Grusel Musel
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-03-24 12:09:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Grusel Musel
Thanks, but EVE IPH is neither an online tool, nor my thing. Tried it once and realised my own excel sheets are better for how I work. For anything else I can use eve-industry.org, but not T3 invention ....
dirtydebbs
the wreking crew
#6 - 2015-03-24 13:40:02 UTC
yeh there is onyl one open soucrce one and thats dedaf excell spreadsheets, it used to have it int here not sure if its still current mind, but yeh i just made my own and use that
F0X 2
Doomheim
#7 - 2015-03-24 14:09:28 UTC
Almost anything you do in EVE is profitable. Some more than others. Otherwise people wouldn't do it.

Industry wise, for your final product, the more of the supply chain you control/collect/manufacture yourself, the more profit you make. You reduce overall costs, and increase profit margins. It's called "Vertical Integration" - in microeconomics and management, vertical integration is an arrangement in which the supply chain of a company is owned by that company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_integration

Say you want to build Battleships. They get bought and blown up alot, so there's a market for them. If you mine the ore, refine into minerals, research your own blueprints, search for a good station to build in, you will have reduced Isk expenditures as much as possible. Building your final product from scratch and selling on the market for maximum profit.

However, doing all that yourself can take quite a while. So your currency at that point becomes time. How long do you want to sit there mining all that ore yourself at the Isk cost of a few drones or mining crystals (or a ganked Hulk), when you can easily put a buy order on the market for the minerals? As you wait for the buy order to fill, you could be using your time to make Isk elsewhere or searching for new opportunities and other sectors of the market to corner.

Think of EVE Industry like a business in the real world. Control the supply chain, reduce your costs, sell on the market for maximum profit. Except the only employee is you.

As for T3 production....honestly I've never done it. I've looked into it, looked at the numbers, and yes you can make profit building them. I know a few old friends who have made god knows how many billions over the years building T3. I just found it too involved and extensive for my liking. Other Isk ventures were easier for me to do.
Grusel Musel
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2015-03-24 15:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Grusel Musel
F0X 2 wrote:
Industry wise, for your final product, the more of the supply chain you control/collect/manufacture yourself, the more profit you make.

TOTALLY WRONG!
Anything which followed my be correct if you studied economics, but is not fully applicable to EVE!
ara enley
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-03-24 20:53:53 UTC
Grusel Musel wrote:
F0X 2 wrote:
Industry wise, for your final product, the more of the supply chain you control/collect/manufacture yourself, the more profit you make.

TOTALLY WRONG!
Anything which followed my be correct if you studied economics, but is not fully applicable to EVE!

Well if you only consider opportunity costs, only needing to update one order compared to a few dozen material orders.

Also just because something doesn't make you income in JITA, doesn't mean it won't make you income outside of it. Some people are fine using production lines that are measured in hundreds of units instead of thousands, and sold over the course of weeks instead of days. The scale just tips towards have lots of "variety" rather than lots of one thing.
F0X 2
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-03-24 21:02:22 UTC  |  Edited by: F0X 2
Grusel Musel wrote:

TOTALLY WRONG!

Lol what? Maybe you didn't understand the Battleship example.

If you mine the minerals yourself instead of buying them off the market, you are saving Isk because you are gathering the raw materials yourself, instead of paying Isk for someone else to gather them. YOU SAVE ISK. Therefore when you make the final product you have a higher profit margin because you have less expenses.

A simpler explanation..

If you mine minerals, the Isk stays in your wallet.

If you buy minerals, the Isk goes in someone elses wallet.

Edit: FYI this account expires in less than 1 day so I might have to reply with an alt account.
Grusel Musel
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2015-03-24 21:34:53 UTC
F0X 2 wrote:
Edit: FYI this account expires in less than 1 day so I might have to reply with an alt account.

Good troll then ^^
Otherwise have any relation to Forest Gump maybe? ...
ara enley
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-03-24 21:58:53 UTC
If you exsist in/near JITA... Then mining your own minerals will probably lose you isk. In the sense that you'll make less than just selling the minerals as raw material...

With an annoying amount of research and a silly amount of risk.... You might have an easier time selling a fully built something you might have to only deal with one or two competitors, rather than EVERYONE and their mother playing with the mineral market. Which can work out if you only want to log on once a day, or actually be in a space ship.
F0X 2
Doomheim
#13 - 2015-03-24 22:12:23 UTC
Grusel Musel wrote:

Good troll then ^^
Otherwise have any relation to Forest Gump maybe? ...

Lol I'm so confused. I don't get the relation to Forest Gump. I'm just trying to provide you input and advice. But whatever fine then, forget I shared any input. Good luck in your T3 adventure.
Grusel Musel
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2015-03-25 09:04:05 UTC
ara enley wrote:

Well if you only consider opportunity costs, only needing to update one order compared to a few dozen material orders.

Also just because something doesn't make you income in JITA, doesn't mean it won't make you income outside of it. Some people are fine using production lines that are measured in hundreds of units instead of thousands, and sold over the course of weeks instead of days. The scale just tips towards have lots of "variety" rather than lots of one thing.

NO!
You are talking about trading profits! That's another story!

Anyway I understand that my calculation was correct and T3s just do not generate profits at the moment. So there will defintely no "T3 adventure" happen for me atm. ...
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#15 - 2015-03-26 18:56:24 UTC
ok, so there are a number of steps to T3 production. Invention (previously reverse engineering) is no more difficult than T2 invention.

The real question is how much of the process do you wish to do? Hybrid Polymers are made from w-space fullerene gases, which can only be harvested in w-space. Some of those are only found in high-end wormholes, most of which are well patrolled and inhabited.

Buying them off the market is possible. But to make the hybrid polymers you have to run POS reactions. I can tell you that a month's supply of gases for the expensive stuff costs several billion isk per month per reaction line. The cheap stuff on its own sometimes run at a loss, sometimes a profit, depending on the market. But they are fairly cheap to purchase.

To make everything you would need wihout having to constantly (like every other day) reconfigure your POS, you would need I think 5 large POSes.

These polymers and a butt-load of salvage get used to make the components, which are then used to make the hulls and subsystems.

Honestly, the process is similar to T2 production, and just as vertically intensive. If you want to make hulls and subs, I would recommend buying the materials off the market and making your own BPCs.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#16 - 2015-04-03 01:30:07 UTC
F0X 2 wrote:

If you mine minerals, the Isk stays in your wallet.

If you're into manufacturing things, depending on the materials you require, you're better off with buy orders then mining yourself. An army of alts though is a different story.