These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

download on demand

First post First post
Author
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2015-03-24 17:18:57 UTC
Ur'yaen wrote:
Reposting from another thread
Ur'yaen wrote:
If someone could elnlighten me on that topic please

Currently I have 3 EvE folders - SiSi, TQ 1st account, TQ 2nd account (as a walkaround to not being able to switch toons without relogging). At this moment each launcher/game updates separately and I'm ok with that.

With DoD will that change and if, how do i keep it the old way?

Can I patch all 3 clients and pick different cache folder for each or they will be somehow forced to use one?

There's no reason to have 3 clients.

TQ and SiSi are all you need. To log in a second account on TQ, just launch the " ?:\Program Files (x86)\CCP\EVE\bin\ExeFile.exe " and log in.. It bypasses the launcher thus allows you to log in another account. I run 3 accounts (at once) that way without issue. In fact it's how I normally log into eve, unless I know there's an update, or need access to the NEX Store or Redeeming.

Now that you've done that, and freed up an Eve's worth of space.. You are left with 2 installs. Live Server. Test Server. Clean and simple :)
Ashlar Maidstone
MoonFyre BattleGroup Holdings
#62 - 2015-03-24 17:19:37 UTC
Antonio Steele wrote:
Anyone have a general idea how fast your internet has to be to use download on demand. My eve install takes up 13 GB of space, and it might be nice to lessen that amount. I figure trying download on demand would mean uninstalling EVE than reinstalling the download on demand installer version to test it. I would rather not do that without having an idea of how fast my internet needs to be.

Mine is rated at 105mbps with Comcast, even tho it was a rather hefty amount of data to retrieve at 13.8gigs.
Jinx Jameson
Dead Cow Theory
#63 - 2015-03-24 17:46:28 UTC
CCP Maxwell wrote:
Jinx Jameson wrote:
Jinx Jameson wrote:
Hmm,

After DT started launcher, patched everything properly and launched the game after about 15 mins, no issues at all.
Me saying, "well that went better then expected"

rebooting PC, started launcher, launcher broken (you know the usual TQ unavailable, you have no connection, restart launcher, blabla screen) ...

Is there a link to a launcher download useable for this ? Like in this post : Dev Post launcherfix

As mentioned Downoad, Patch and running the game went perfect, after reboot of the PC and using my shortcut to Eve I got this

Launcher Error

Launching the game directly from the Bin folder works perfectly

Cheers.

The launcher version in your pic seems to be older than is currently deployed on TQ. You could try this one:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/EveOnlineLauncher/release/EVEOnlineLauncher_2_2_871265.exe

Thanks, worked. I seem to have that issue every major patch ...
Nihilaus Vause
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#64 - 2015-03-24 18:14:21 UTC
My launcher doesn't even give a file-size, so I'm not sure where you guys are getting it from.

It's just started updating automatically, without giving me any option, and it seems to be taking an age.

Too scared to close it though, so I'll just sit here and pray to BOB.
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#65 - 2015-03-24 20:23:41 UTC
Sniper Smith wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:

Currently I have 3 EvE folders - SiSi, TQ 1st account, TQ 2nd account (as a walkaround to not being able to switch toons without relogging). At this moment each launcher/game updates separately and I'm ok with that.

Can I patch all 3 clients and pick different cache folder for each or they will be somehow forced to use one?

TQ and SiSi are all you need. To log in a second account on TQ, just launch the " ?:\Program Files (x86)\CCP\EVE\bin\ExeFile.exe " and log in.. It bypasses the launcher thus allows you to log in another account. I run 3 accounts (at once) that way without issue. In fact it's how I normally log into eve, unless I know there's an update, or need access to the NEX Store or Redeeming.

Now that you've done that, and freed up an Eve's worth of space.. You are left with 2 installs. Live Server. Test Server. Clean and simple :)

WTF both of you.
You don't need to bypass the launcher at all.
You just log into one account on the launcher, and once the main window opens go back to the launcher, click "switch user account" under the play button, log into your next account, and repeat.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#66 - 2015-03-24 21:08:05 UTC
Thankfully I'm busy enough in RL that I can wait a couple of days before logging in again. Bear
Beats waiting for the patch.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ur'yaen
Xcense
#67 - 2015-03-24 21:42:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Ur'yaen
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Sniper Smith wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:

WTF both of you.
You just log into one account on the launcher, and once the main window opens go back to the launcher, click "switch user account" under the play button, log into your next account, and repeat.

Both solutions work only when you log into the account once for longer. Well they work regardless of how many times you log but they require writing in passwords each time you switch a toon. If done frequently it's a real PITA.

Having two separate lauchers allows to switch toons by simply killing the game and pushing PLAY button on each launcher - that is far more convenient. Unfortunatedly Win 7 x64 says no to multiple instances so having two separate folders was the one and only solution.

Anyway everything went smooth - all clients patched separately and everything works fine. All 3 clients seem to use one cache folder now Big smile

Edit: Double checked the size - as I moved cache folder to one of game folders it now has a size of 26GB - 13GB cache folder itself + 13GB ResFiles folder. Before it was 13GB per game folder so nothing changed size wise Roll
CCP Maxwell
C C P
C C P Alliance
#68 - 2015-03-24 22:56:32 UTC
Ur'yaen wrote:
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Sniper Smith wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:

WTF both of you.

Both solutions work only when you log into the account once for longer. Well they work regardless of how many times you log but they require writing in passwords each time you switch a toon. If done frequently it's a real PITA.

Having two separate lauchers allows to switch toons by simply killing the game and pushing PLAY button on each launcher - that is far more convenient. Unfortunatedly Win 7 x64 says no to multiple instances so having two separate folders was the one and only solution.

Anyway everything went smooth - all clients patched separately and everything works fine. All 3 clients seem to use one cache folder now Big smile

Edit: Double checked the size - as I moved cache folder to one of game folders it now has a size of 26GB - 13GB cache folder itself + 13GB ResFiles folder. Before it was 13GB per game folder so nothing changed size wise Roll

That 26GB size does not make sense. Do you have two SharedCache folders? If that is the case, one of those is just wasting space, as only one shared cache folder is used. You can see the location of the folder being used in your launcher settings under the download tab.

CCP Maxwell - QA Engineer - Team RnB

2Sonas1Cup
#69 - 2015-03-25 00:19:59 UTC
CCP Maxwell wrote:

If your connection is a bottleneck, then I'd probably recommend entering the launcher settings and ticking the "Download all the resource files" box. Doing this ensures that you have all the resources possibly needed in game.

Must be quoted.
Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
RONA Directorate
#70 - 2015-03-25 04:40:04 UTC
Speaking of Cache

Where is my cache folder again? I want to delete it before patching.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#71 - 2015-03-25 08:12:37 UTC
CCP Mephysto wrote:
Agent Intrepid wrote:
Is the patch supposed to be 7GB?

No, restart your launcher

What?OopsXUgh

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Ur'yaen
Xcense
#72 - 2015-03-25 10:53:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Ur'yaen
CCP Maxwell wrote:
Ur'yaen wrote:

That 26GB size does not make sense. Do you have two SharedCache folders? If that is the case, one of those is just wasting space, as only one shared cache folder is used. You can see the location of the folder being used in your launcher settings under the download tab.

One shared cache folder for all 3 clients (checked). Additional weight comes from a second/old "ResFiles" folder.

I just moved it out of the main folder and all clients seem to work properly so it I guess problem is solved. Will wait a week and delete it if no problems should show up.
Eon Xero
Victory or Whatever
Pen Is Out
#73 - 2015-03-25 16:30:47 UTC
Please allow us to opt out of this "feature." I do not approve of stuttery/laggy gameplay for something I don't need or want.
Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#74 - 2015-03-25 16:35:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Commissar Kate
Eon Xero wrote:
Please allow us to opt out of this "feature." I do not approve of stuttery/laggy gameplay for something I don't need or want.

Uhg... You can just go to the launcher options and check the "Download all the resources box"
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#75 - 2015-03-25 16:37:17 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Eon Xero wrote:

Uhg... You can, just go to the launcher options and check the "Download all the resources box"

For some reason I doubt he even tried.
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Eon Xero
Victory or Whatever
Pen Is Out
#76 - 2015-03-25 16:51:14 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Eon Xero wrote:

Uhg... You can just go to the launcher options and check the "Download all the resources box"

I have and it didn't fix it. Of course I would try something before coming here and complaining.

I have experienced perfectly silky smooth eve for years and this is pretty annoying.
Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children
#77 - 2015-03-25 16:53:28 UTC
Eon Xero wrote:
I have experienced perfectly silky smooth eve for years and this is pretty annoying.

Shocked Tell us your secret, Master! Shocked

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#78 - 2015-03-25 17:02:00 UTC
Eon Xero wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:
Eon Xero wrote:

I have and it didn't fix it. Of course I would try something before coming here and complaining.

Did you close and reopen the launcher?

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#79 - 2015-03-25 17:30:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Bienator II
telling the launcher to download everything does not help with the fps drops. We all already had everything in the cache anyway after the migration. So the checkbox wouldn't do anything anyway - its already downloaded. It must have something to do with the asset loading process itself when you land on grid.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Moshi
Doomheim
#80 - 2015-03-25 17:32:22 UTC
I have the 'download everything' box ticked but loading times are longer than before the patch and I'm constantly seeing the 'Resources downloading' animation in the bottom left corner.