These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Titan as mobile battlefield stations

Author
CorranCHalcyon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-03-19 15:17:18 UTC
Okay, what I have been thinking about is a way to use titans in an effective way on the battlefield beyond bridging and DD other supers/capitals off the field. I wanted to see Titans have more flexability and a greater purpose in large fleet battles.

So I thought there could be a module (High slot) that could be fit to a Titan that would act in a similar fashion to a seige/triage module. To the effect that the Titan would become immobile, the Titan could not warp or "dock."

However in fitting this module would prevent a DD module form being fitted, or just disable it so it could not fire. If the Titan has guns fit to it those would still be operable. The module would require fuel to run; just like a siege/triage module.

Now those are the basic negatives. What this module does for the Titan is it turns it into a mobile space station. Players can dock with the titan just like a station and the Fleet Maintenance Arrays are fully accessible to the players docked in the station along with the full fitting ability. The Titan pilot can of course drag and drop more fuel from his various bays into the necessary fuel bay for the station module. This would give pilots access to fresh ships and supplies during the battle without the titan/carrier pilot ejecting a ship into space for a pilot in their pod to jump in before either are destroyed, or grabbed by somebody else.

This would allow a Titan to bridge fleets to the battlefield then jumping itself can carry a small fleet worth of replacement ships, modules and ammo to help resupply the fleet during the battle itself. This allows Titans to become mobile command stations when an alliance is battling for control of a system/constellation.

This would add more value to a Titan beyond its DD for a fleet. This also provides more flexibility for Titans while not diminishing their current role on the battlefield.

It is not a complete idea but I believe it is a good starting point to breath new life and purpose into Titans.

And if you choose to use my idea or some part of it, can I have credit somwhere in the module description? Credit where credit is due.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-03-19 15:34:45 UTC
CorranCHalcyon wrote:

And if you choose to use my idea or some part of it, can I have credit somwhere in the module description? Credit where credit is due.

Credit comes if CCP decides you use your idea and you are not the 347th person to propose it. But you are.

See the other problem with this is that Titans have a ship maintenance array.

They already can allow people to take the ships out of them by selecting "Allow fleet members to access SMA" option in their inventory page.

No need to siege, no need to go station mode, no need to leave a POS. Fleet members walk up, jump in ship, return to fight if the ship is stocked and configured to do so. Titan already has 90% of the functionality you propose.

It's just rare to see it aside from the occasional carrier, supercarrier, or titan with a stockpile of light dictors for emergency use in pinning down a supercap.

CorranCHalcyon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2015-03-19 16:05:32 UTC
As I said it is not a complete idea. However Allowing players to dock would help prevent pilots from getting podded off the field before they can grab a new ship. And there can be additional bonuses given the a Titan using the module that would be beneficial to the fleet.

My point is that Titans are a floundering ship class. They have two uses on the battlefield, bridging and DD. They need more versatility on the battlefield. If you have any ideas on how to expand my idea I would enjoy hearing them.
Colette Kassia
Kassia Industrial Supply
#4 - 2015-03-19 17:40:07 UTC
We can all read the writing on wall. The future of super-caps is in support of sup-cap fleets, including ship carrying duty (Bowheads with fighters and doomsdays). If this is how Fozzie & Co. intend titan and super-carriers to be used in the future then these function should be streamlined.

- Allow titan clone vats to be used for medical clone respawn (dialogue pops us to give players the option between their station MC and their titan MC).
- Allow full docking (as you suggest) with the familiar in-station environment.
- And I think it'd be cool is you could keep you pod in the titan and fly ships from its maintenance bay remotely.

Would this be overpowered? Well, isn't that the whole idea of titans?

(Disclaimer: I've never flown a titan, fought with or against a titan, or even seen a titan in person. You are free to disregard my opinions on the whole subject.)
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-03-19 18:00:16 UTC
I was just going to post a thread suggesting a capital ship that could act like a mobile station when I saw this thread. So I'll dump my idea here, and briefly discuss how I feel about the OP:

My idea was to make a new capital ship that is designed around its ability to be a mobile base. It could anchor, perhaps by using a type of siege module as suggested in the OP, and it would generate a protective POS shield bubble around itself. If this ship has its armor drained while anchored, it would go into reinforcement allowing time to rescue it, but it couldn't be flown anywhere until it is brought out of reinforcement. If it is unanchored when its armor is depleted, it will go into structure like any other capital and can be killed instantly. The ship would have features somewhere between a capital and a station, including the ability for capsuleers to actually dock inside it--not just put their ships in the SMA but also to ride in it as it jumps rather than having to follow along outside. When anchored, its weapons would disable for, say, an hour, and then would come online stronger than before. The hour disable prevents in-combat anchoring to try to gain an edge in a battle.

I think it makes some sense to allow titans to do something like this. My idea was going to be something the size of a carrier or dreadnought, but a supercapital version would be great. I think it needs to have reinforcement, and be slow to siege/anchor so that it can defend itself while immobile but it should take a considerable amount of logistical effort to hunker it down. This ensures it's used as a mobile base, not as a mobile ship that you're calling a base.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Lugh Crow-Slave
#6 - 2015-03-19 18:20:20 UTC
do people not remember that CCP tried to make it so we could dock in the ships of others but that it simply couldn't be done
CorranCHalcyon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2015-03-19 18:32:51 UTC
That is why I like adding to the Titan class. It takes an existing ship class that has a very limited use and gives it actual versatility. I would like Titans to have a unique interior to them for the players that dock in them. You should know that you are docked in a Titan and not a station.

I like your idea that a player could have their MC in the titan, but I think the clone bay shouldn't be active until the station module is active. That way the Titan pilot has to be functioning as a Mobile Command Station in order for pilots to have that ability.

It could be set that only one Titan acting as a MCS can be active in a system, or one per fleet. I don't believe the capabilities exist at this time for pilots to dock in a Titan while the Titan makes an FTL jump. I think that would make the Titan a little OP. He can bridge a fleet then jump with another fleet docked inside it. But jumping the fleet and having a clone bay that is active when the Titan becomes a MCS so pilots will wake up in the Titan with full bays of ships, modules and ammo.

Each Titan has what appears to be a docking force field on it somewhere. Sorry if my thoughts are a bit disjointed, 22 hours without sleep. I couldn't miss FanFest.
CorranCHalcyon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2015-03-19 18:36:52 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
do people not remember that CCP tried to make it so we could dock in the ships of others but that it simply couldn't be done

I honestly don't remember that. However that was then, new developments in programing languages, engines and scripting have happened.

I will add: Even if it was attempted before and failed, does not mean it is a bad idea on that fact alone. It simply means the technology and knowledge on that technologies capabilities had not been fully realized yet.

Look at the EVE and Dust connection. CCP was able to connect in real time two different games running on two different platforms. A small advance but an important advance.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-03-19 19:08:25 UTC
I'm getting really tired of hearing people say X can't be done. In almost all cases not only can it be done, but it is in fact relatively easy to implement as a standalone feature. Usually when the creators say it can't be done, what they mean is one of the following things:
1.) It can't be done very easily with our current setup, or it requires more resources than it is worth
2.) The technology required for it does not mesh well with the technology the platform was built upon
3.) We have not yet come up with a way to make it happen
4.) We are not interested in the idea and do not currently plan to implement it, no matter how easy it is

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Lugh Crow-Slave
#10 - 2015-03-19 19:58:36 UTC
CorranCHalcyon wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

I honestly don't remember that. However that was then, new developments in programing languages, engines and scripting have happened.

I will add: Even if it was attempted before and failed, does not mean it is a bad idea on that fact alone. It simply means the technology and knowledge on that technologies capabilities had not been fully realized yet.

Look at the EVE and Dust connection. CCP was able to connect in real time two different games running on two different platforms. A small advance but an important advance.

I believe it was fozzi who just brought it back up again less than a year ago as an example of how limitations can keep them from doing what they originally envisioned. it's do to the legacy code in the game engine itself and when you have to start making changes to that it is generally more time/effort than it is worth
Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#11 - 2015-03-20 00:43:04 UTC
How about a halfway measure that lets people literally dock their ship in it like a station, with a special environment and everything? This would extend to any capital with a maint bay, but unlike stations you still have to adhere to the capacity limit. That being said, you could carry a bunch of pods in the bay.
CorranCHalcyon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-03-20 05:51:27 UTC
CorranCHalcyon wrote:

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2015-03-20 11:22:50 UTC
So what happens when the immobile station-titan eats a dozen doomsdays and explodes while a load of people are inside it?
Janeway84
Insane's Asylum
#14 - 2015-03-20 12:31:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Janeway84
they loose their pods ofc! It will be awesome! Big smile
Would be pretty bad ass with a big ship hangar in titans so player ships could dock up and launch from it , so it would be like a mobile station.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2015-03-20 12:33:17 UTC
Janeway84 wrote:
they loose their pods ofc! It will be awesome! Big smile

And what happens when it or they log off?
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#16 - 2015-03-20 12:36:00 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
So what happens when the immobile station-titan eats a dozen doomsdays and explodes while a load of people are inside it?

They die.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Grezh
Hextrix Enterprise
#17 - 2015-03-20 19:03:07 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

And what happens when it or they log off?

It can be extrapolated from current in-space logoff mechanics, all those docked in a titan inherit it's aggression timers and if they log off while inside and all their timers run out the current mechanic come into play and they cannot be interacted with. If the titan that they are docked in dies then they might autowarp to a random spot 1 mil km from where it died when they log on. On the other hand, if their timers don't run out before the titan dies then they die with it.
Sadr Dillinger
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#18 - 2015-03-20 19:08:47 UTC
Titan 'anchors', loses hidden signature penalty to X-large guns?... Pirate
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#19 - 2015-03-20 20:06:57 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Diomedes
Supercapitals as semi-mobile, anchorable, destructible stations seems like one of the best directions in which to take them at this point in the game. When the Supercapital ship anchors, the pilot ejects and the station then becomes like any other station. Except that the pilot - and those members of the corporation granted the proper roles - get a special view outside the station, which they can use to target things using the Supercapital's weapons - be they fighter bays, neutralizers, smartbombs, turrets, remote repair modules, etc. Or the station could be configured in the command mode running leadership links. Or whatever...

Anchored Supercapitals get vastly increased hangars, cloning services, etc.

If the Supercapital/station gets destroyed, normal loot mechanics apply. Any pod pilots inside a station when it is destroyed would reappear in their home station (or something like that).

Edit - the fact that you are not the first person to think of this idea (neither am I), is not a strike against it.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2015-03-21 04:18:37 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

Obviously it goes into reinforcement mode. Now if it gets blown up after reinforcement then the ships fall out, and the pods stay offline.

12Next page