These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Dev Blog: Bring Your Friends! Buddy Invites For Trial Users!

First post
Author
CCP Falcon
#1 - 2015-03-18 13:03:38 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Hello Capsuleers!

Just taking a little time out from crazy Fanfest prep to give you guys a little information regarding trial accounts, and the fact they can now utilize the buddy invitation system!

You can read more about it in this Dev Blog, and hopefully we'll see a lot more new spacebros signing up with their friends!

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Ereilian
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-03-18 13:10:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ereilian
Stinks of desperation and a false attempt to pump concurrent online user numbers.

But thank you for the ability to make multiple trial account suicide gankers!!
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2015-03-18 13:10:59 UTC
Neat.
Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#4 - 2015-03-18 13:13:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Edward Olmops
Great news.
Anything that faciliates getting new players on TQ is welcome.

Please ensure that the limitations ans special restrictions "somehow" become very clear during the process of creating the buddy account.
Like: WARNING - if you pay like this, your inviter will NOT get a reward.
Or even disable the option for accounts created through a buddy invite.

Just to avoid tears and anger.
I had issues with that.

Also:
Are there thoughts to allow buddy invites to EXISTING trial accounts?
Yes that does not seem to generate any advantage for CCP, because the person already IS interested in the game, aware AND has created an account.

But especially CCP Rise complains about people not sticking with the game after the trial and not getting in touch with corps etc.
I really like teaching a new player from time to time, but friends who might be interested already know about the game (after I played it for 5 years).
I would like to meet NEW new players who can become my buddies.
I can go to a starter system... a little incentive here could certainly help (maybe a different reward for becoming a mentor for an existing trial account could be suitable?).
CCP Manifest
CCP Retirement Home
#5 - 2015-03-18 13:24:18 UTC
Ereilian wrote:
Stinks of desperation and a false attempt to pump concurrent online user numbers.

Hrm, I read the dev blog as allowing trail users to get benefits for getting other players to play the game. A kind nice marketing initiative unless of course you agree with me that all of marketing is evil.

======== o7 _CCP Manifest | Public Relations and Social Media | @ccp_manifest_

Ereilian
Doomheim
#6 - 2015-03-18 13:51:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ereilian
CCP Manifest wrote:
Ereilian wrote:

Hrm, I read the dev blog as allowing trail users to get benefits for getting other players to play the game. A kind nice marketing initiative unless of course you agree with me that all of marketing is evil.

Only if the "Buddy" pays in cash, a rather neat marketing trick in the small print would you not agree :D

I would rather see the Buddy system as a benefit of supporting the game rather than allowing the system to be used to create a succession of Free to Play accounts.

Without addressing the ability of trial accounts to engage in suicide ganking, you are basically creating a F2P option for that activity.

Can you confirm that CCP will be monitoring the use of the new system and taking action against those who use it to bypass the character cycling rules?
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-03-18 14:01:09 UTC
Ereilian wrote:
pays in cash

Quote:
creating a F2P option

.............I'm lost.
Ereilian
Doomheim
#8 - 2015-03-18 14:05:03 UTC
Ned Thomas wrote:
Ereilian wrote:
pays in cash

Quote:
creating a F2P option

.............I'm lost.

Look at the small print on rewards and go into any reputable skill training software and see exactly how quickly you can build a suicide ganker.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#9 - 2015-03-18 14:05:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Sincerely, I'm struggling with the logic of this. How does go Mr. Ibuddymytrial's mind? Question

"I am trying this game, but I still have not given any money to the developers. So, now I will invite my friends and hopefully one of them will pay with cash and so I'll get one month of subscription to this game I am just tyring but which still hasn't convinced me to part with my money"

Errr... not likely. I don't mean that it's impossible, but its chances are in par with those of "CCP has been secretly developing avatar gameplay for EVE and it will unveiled in all its jawdropping glory Soon (TM)".
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#10 - 2015-03-18 14:08:38 UTC
Right, so TL;DR now trial users can also use the buddy program, the first reward being 30 days of game time + conversion to full account.

The question if, what if Player A invites Player B, who in turn invites Player C, and Player C subscribes before Player B?

Player B becomes a full account, but I guess Player A doesn't get any reward for the upgrade of Player B?

(I hope you're not lost Cool)

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#11 - 2015-03-18 14:11:07 UTC
CCP Manifest wrote:
Ereilian wrote:

Huh... benefits for bringing other players even before deciding that EVE is worth your money? That's quite a stretch, CCP Manifest... What?
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-03-18 14:11:59 UTC
Ereilian wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Ereilian wrote:
pays in cash

Quote:
creating a F2P option

.............I'm lost.

Look at the small print on rewards and go into any reputable skill training software and see exactly how quickly you can build a suicide ganker.

Who cares what the character does? They're still paying.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#13 - 2015-03-18 14:16:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Altrue wrote:
Right, so TL;DR now trial users can also use the buddy program, the first reward being 30 days of game time + conversion to full account.

The question if, what if Player A invites Player B, who in turn invites Player C, and Player C subscribes before Player B?

Player B becomes a full account, but I guess Player A doesn't get any reward for the upgrade of Player B?

Frankly, at this point I am as lost as a virgin unicorn in a fauns party. Not your fault, I'm still struggling to figure the thought processes of someone who invites people to play a game before deciding to pay for it... "Hey this game is great give them your money... I haven't yet btw".

Even worst: what if A invites B, then B subscribes but A stopped playing after the trial? Shocked
Obidiah Kane
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#14 - 2015-03-18 14:19:14 UTC
Is there anything coming in Scylla - bar the Sov wand?! I check back everyday but nothing - for the last couple of expansions there has been updates within a week of the last being released, this time round; nothing...I know its fanfest, I guess there is lots of stuff going on and being set up - but its for a fraction of the player base - I am not going to fanfest, I am not a nullsec sov'er, and all my buddies that would play Eve, already do...

CCPlease!!
Ereilian
Doomheim
#15 - 2015-03-18 14:22:24 UTC
Ned Thomas wrote:
Ereilian wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Ereilian wrote:
pays in cash

Quote:
creating a F2P option

.............I'm lost.

Who cares what the character does? They're still paying.

No, they are not. A trial account is still a non paying account.

Two separate issues, maybe I should have bullet pointed them.
Tarpedo
Incursionista
#16 - 2015-03-18 14:22:42 UTC
Guys, do you realize you've killed buddy program for those who actively promoted it when you've decided to make its length equal to standard EVE trial? As result I had much less registrations and zero upgrades during last month.
If things will go like that you'll have to promote your game alone.
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2015-03-18 14:27:25 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Altrue wrote:

Frankly, at this point I am as lost as a virgin unicorn in a fauns orgy. Not your fault, I'm still struggling to figure the thought processess of someone who invites people to play a game before deciding to pay for it... "Hey this game is great give them your money... I haven't yet btw".

Even worst: what if A invites B, then B subscribes but A stopped playing after the trial? Shocked

It says that if a player runs out of their trial, but someone they invited later pays a subscription, then the original player get's 30 days of game time.

As for the Player A invites Player B who then invites Player C and Player C pays a sub giving Player B an extra 30 days then Player A would get no benefit because Player B did not pay with money but I guess there is a chance that once Player B does pay with money then Player A might get 30 days free then providing Player A never upgraded to a full subscription themselves at which point I assume they are no longer eligible for the Trial Buddy Program and instead just the Regular Buddy Program.
Storm ToFollow
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-03-18 14:32:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Storm ToFollow
Seems like a reasonable idea. Marketing seem to be beginning to get over the idea that there always must be a trick to catch you out, it's not PVP guys!

The buddy programme definately needs a rework now though, 30 day trials, took the advantage of using them away for the new user.

How about some nice ship skins, or a bundle of starter ships to make it worthwhile for them rather than using a random trial?
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2015-03-18 14:35:52 UTC
Ereilian wrote:
No, they are not. A trial account is still a non paying account.

Two separate issues, maybe I should have bullet pointed them.

After 60 days, the first account is either paying, inactive, or has managed to convince more people to pay for subscriptions.

Meanwhile the second account has already paid for at least a month, and after their trial and first month they are either paying, inactive, or convincing more people to pay for subscriptions.

So at the absolute least, there is a one month subscription paid between two accounts and after 60 days those two accounts are either generating income or not being used. So where's the problem?
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#20 - 2015-03-18 15:28:32 UTC
Ereilian wrote:

Well let's see. First, the changes to force projection resulted in a large reduction in number of cyno alts. Then input broadcasting was banned. Sounds to me like CCP is more interested in improving core game play than just directly increasing accounts by whatever means possible.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

12Next page