These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CSM Minutes - CCP dont you screw up the chimera

First post First post
Author
Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#101 - 2015-03-16 02:37:57 UTC
The new Chimera is too square. There's too many perfectly horizontal sections and too many perfectly vertical sections. The old/current model has a nice balance of flat and angled parts to it.

Koebmand wrote:
Why not make more ships instead of destroying old to create new looks?

New ships need new roles.

There's only so many roles possible in a game.

It's why the Bowhead does something no other ship does. It's why the D3s do something no other ship does - even then people are upset that the new ships are making AFs redundant.

More ships for the sake of more ships is bad for the game.

So what is CCP going to do with their art department? If they're not making new models for new ships, then they're redundant and should be fired. But that'll mean there'll never be any new models - which is also bad for the game. CCP needs to have an art team that is constantly improving the game. This is why they're making the existing game look better.

Lucretia DeWinter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2015-03-16 08:45:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucretia DeWinter
CCP Darwin wrote:
Sniper Smith wrote:
Every time it was mentioned by a player (Or even CSM in the minutes) it wasn't addressed.

As you know from the minutes, I was in the room for the CSM session. It was clearly stated in the room that the Dominix is still on our list of upcoming redesigns and had been omitted from the presentation slide by mistake. (In fact, it was added to the slide in real time as it was brought up!)

The notes meant to make clear that it's still coming, but unfortunately the wording may have left it more ambiguous than we intended at the time.

Quote:
Also, I agree, lock you guys in with beer.. more beer will be provided as more work is done :D

It's on.

This is going to negatively impact the TTP ratio.

Designing and drawing > Beer > Drawing > Beer > Photocopying Body Parts > Beer > Vomit > Beer> Lewd Behaviour > Beer> Rimmugygur

http://images.gameskinny.com/gameskinny/80f6d3b2cd721c7dcae1a94fc6e05187.jpg
Komodo Askold
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#103 - 2015-03-16 10:38:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Komodo Askold
Personally, I'm in for tweaking old designs with new rendering techniques and textures to make them look new and refreshed. Just look at the Typhoon or Stabber, for example. On the other hand, the new Blackbird and friends don't look that horrible in my opinion.

About the Chimera, I like its current shape, but I agree it could use some more detail, in the sense I mentioned above. I also agree it could be a bit bigger.

And about that supposedly concept art from the Art of EVE, for me it reminds me more about a possible Caldari Tactical Destroyer design.

EDIT: and about the Wyvern, please do keep its current shape! In my opinion it looks amazing. Maybe it could use more complex geometries on the prow side panels (which currently are flat panels).

Also, I agree capital ships could use some more details in their textures. Right now, if you zoom in on them they lose detail as quickly as frigates. On the other hand, that could require really big textures... But weren't there a request for a super-high quality textures pack?
Wylde Kardde
You Cant Argue With Stupid
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#104 - 2015-03-16 13:26:05 UTC
OP here you go.. On the left

http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/67006/1/6.jpg

Not too bad.. And still has a bay opening on top

The Origional Intention of Pirate BS's... pvp

Nightmare X-type Burn out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyajGLoe0Kc

Janeway84
Insane's Asylum
#105 - 2015-03-16 14:06:22 UTC
CCP should give drone bays back to dreads , only change im requesting Big smile
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#106 - 2015-03-16 14:51:37 UTC
Wylde Kardde wrote:
OP here you go.. On the left

http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/67006/1/6.jpg

Not too bad.. And still has a bay opening on top

izznot terrible, cant tell much though until i see an ingame render as to what it will eventually look like (which is unfortuneately also when changing it back or to another model becomes a "non-option")

but it at least isnt a tragedy.
Murkar Omaristos
The Alabaster Albatross
Unreasonable Bastards
#107 - 2015-03-16 17:50:09 UTC
Didn't bother reading 3 pages of posts before this but.....IMO all of the ships need to be touched up, including the Chimera. The model is fine but the textures need work. Even so - most of the new ship models look amazing, I certainly wouldn't say no to a new Chimera (although the attention and time would be better spent on ships that peopel commonly complain about being ugly).

Since the introduction of PBR it makes sense to have as many ships touched up as possible though because it makes the outdated textures on everything but Amarr ships look pretty bad.
Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
#108 - 2015-03-16 18:11:13 UTC
I wonder if they are redoing all the models so we can all 3-d print them with ease or buy 3-d print models for plex and aurum.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Leisha Miranen
Doomheim
#109 - 2015-03-16 18:35:25 UTC
would definitely buy a stratios model.....
Wylde Kardde
You Cant Argue With Stupid
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#110 - 2015-03-16 18:38:17 UTC
There still should be a reasonable priority list constructed from player feedback.. Cough!! Aeon..

The Origional Intention of Pirate BS's... pvp

Nightmare X-type Burn out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyajGLoe0Kc

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#111 - 2015-03-16 18:41:08 UTC
Janeway84 wrote:
CCP should give drone bays back to dreads , only change im requesting Big smile

But that is... Improssibru ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#112 - 2015-03-16 19:49:31 UTC
Murkar Omaristos wrote:
Didn't bother reading 3 pages of posts before this but.....IMO all of the ships need to be touched up, including the Chimera. The model is fine but the textures need work. Even so - most of the new ship models look amazing, I certainly wouldn't say no to a new Chimera (although the attention and time would be better spent on ships that peopel commonly complain about being ugly).

Since the introduction of PBR it makes sense to have as many ships touched up as possible though because it makes the outdated textures on everything but Amarr ships look pretty bad.

was never against touchups, just a complete redesign into something the chimera is not, like imagine if they decided to turn the archon into a sphere, it just wouldnt be right, because an archon isnt a square.
Leisha Miranen
Doomheim
#113 - 2015-03-16 23:36:29 UTC
Poultergoose4
Standards Contracting
Pandemic Horde
#114 - 2015-03-17 16:54:45 UTC
No no no no no no no no no no no... Stay away from the Chimera!!!!!
Ciel993
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#115 - 2015-03-17 17:22:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ciel993
to be honest that looks pretty good. also it seems like CCP is altering the whole style of caldari ship design to make them more modern looking, so no more blocky, instead we are getting more streamlined, high-tech looking ships like in most of modern sci-fi settings.

I for one, do like these changes. they reflect caldari's high-tech shield ship concept better than the old blocky designs, and I'm pretty sure every caldari ship change afterward would go for this direction.
Ciel993
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#116 - 2015-03-17 17:25:33 UTC
double post, sorry
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#117 - 2015-03-17 18:42:12 UTC
Apparently the schematic indicates "point defense". Does this mean carriers are finally going to get turrets or launchers for defense?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Dallas Black
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#118 - 2015-03-17 23:48:50 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Apparently the schematic indicates "point defense". Does this mean carriers are finally going to get turrets or launchers for defense?

Battlestar Chimera? :P
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#119 - 2015-03-18 13:56:11 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

if they do, theyll likely also nerf their HP, reduce their ability to field fighters (or reduce fighters ability to engage subcaps) or something else to ultra nerf them, as well as the nerf of needing highslot weapons to use the point-defense, all so they can "fairly" be engaged by subcaps in 1v1 fights, by which I mean lose to the ishtar
Parthannun Solette
Destructive Influence
Northern Coalition.
#120 - 2015-03-21 15:21:16 UTC
i love the current look off the chimera i would hate to see it change to an big version of an blackbird module