These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Announcing EVE Universe: The Art of New Eden

First post First post
Author
Soden Rah
Eve Navy
DeadSpace Alliance
#41 - 2015-03-14 20:08:52 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:


That said, there will be a few hardcovers at fanfest, but those are not as fancy!



Are these regular priced ones, or less special special ones?

Also, how many is a few? will we have to fight over them...

I'm packing at the moment and need to know if I will need to bring ice-hockey gear to survive the rush Pirate
Soleil Fournier
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2015-03-14 21:57:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Soleil Fournier
Excited and disappointed.

Really want a limited edition but there are just so few of them. 5000 should have been the target, especially when factoring in the ones reserved for the companies involved. Hope you consider a second printing because the current number is just far too low.

Additionally, not having an open pre-order for the limited edition and selecting from those who sign up lottery style means that there's likely going to be a mass rush which makes it even more difficult if the site crashes or responds slowly. (Personally speaking, I work graves and being up at 8 am on a workday isn't feasible for me).

Not sure I'll order the regular hard copy based off the low quality of the hard copy eve source book. (No dust jacket, flimsy hard cover, pages not cut consistently or evenly, etc)
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#43 - 2015-03-15 02:11:25 UTC
Soden Rah wrote:
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:


That said, there will be a few hardcovers at fanfest, but those are not as fancy!



Are these regular priced ones, or less special special ones?

Also, how many is a few? will we have to fight over them...

I'm packing at the moment and need to know if I will need to bring ice-hockey gear to survive the rush Pirate

These would be the hardcover, the same you can order at Amazon or purchase at Forbidden Planet, Midtown Comics, Barnes and Noble and such.
Marlakh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2015-03-15 04:44:29 UTC
Just put in my pre order for the hardcover version! Can't wait to get it in my hands!
Bren Stantis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2015-03-15 07:05:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Bren Stantis
The order page for the Limited Edition says that the first 1000 copies will be signed.

Are all 1000 of those in the pool that is split half-and-half between U.S. and E.U., or were some of those 1000 snagged by CCP employees and/or Dark Horse?

In other words, are there 500 out of 795 for each region that will come signed, or some lesser number?

Edit: Also, 1591 - (795 * 2) = 1; who gets the leftover copy? Pirate
Musashi Date
#46 - 2015-03-15 08:25:33 UTC
On 2015-01-19 11:44:47 UTC, CCP Falcon wrote:
This is something myself and CCP t0rfifrans have been talking about for some time now, some kind of ship inventory with a lot of techincal backstory and history of hulls in it.

What would you guys think of something like that? Would you be interested in buying some form of media completely devoted to technical backstory in EVE? Stuff like technical readouts, drawings, histories of hulls and their variants, that kind of thing?

Just wondering! Big smile


From the thread, Ship interiors artwork?

I guess the ~100 likes pushed the idea through huh? Thank you for listening to us back then at that thread. :)
Abulurd Boniface
CORE BUSINESS
#47 - 2015-03-15 18:44:42 UTC
I love the uber limited edition but I feel screwed out of that one.

I'll be at Fanfest, I won't be able to order it from there and although I appreciate the idea of 'limited edition', could have made more than just 2000 of the book?

Gah!
Abulurd Boniface
CORE BUSINESS
#48 - 2015-03-15 18:46:11 UTC
Soleil Fournier wrote:
Excited and disappointed.

Really want a limited edition but there are just so few of them. 5000 should have been the target, especially when factoring in the ones reserved for the companies involved. Hope you consider a second printing because the current number is just far too low.

Additionally, not having an open pre-order for the limited edition and selecting from those who sign up lottery style means that there's likely going to be a mass rush which makes it even more difficult if the site crashes or responds slowly. (Personally speaking, I work graves and being up at 8 am on a workday isn't feasible for me).

Not sure I'll order the regular hard copy based off the low quality of the hard copy eve source book. (No dust jacket, flimsy hard cover, pages not cut consistently or evenly, etc)


I feel the same. It's awesome, I'd buy it. There's about 1500+ left to purchase, that's nothing. I'm bummed out here.
Qjuu
Exires
#49 - 2015-03-15 22:35:10 UTC
I'm so excited about the new book! I love EVE and I love art. When both comes together... Shocked

But

Quote:
Last year, CCP and Dark Horse Comics released a book called EVE Source....EVE fans were happy....


Me not so much. Unfortunately. I'm maybe the exception, but if I want to buy EVE:Source as e-book from the Apple iBook store AND if I'm not an US resident I'm out of luck. Dark Horse Comics don't publish it internationally via the iBook store - even after one year meanwhile.

It's a "I throw money at the screen...nothing is happening" -situation. Dark Horse Comics' support is really bad also. They just don't care.

@CCP: any information if the situation will be better with the new book? The dev blog was a bit vague regarding e-book availability.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#50 - 2015-03-16 07:45:57 UTC
Abulurd Boniface wrote:
Soleil Fournier wrote:
Excited and disappointed.

Really want a limited edition but there are just so few of them. 5000 should have been the target, especially when factoring in the ones reserved for the companies involved. Hope you consider a second printing because the current number is just far too low.

Additionally, not having an open pre-order for the limited edition and selecting from those who sign up lottery style means that there's likely going to be a mass rush which makes it even more difficult if the site crashes or responds slowly. (Personally speaking, I work graves and being up at 8 am on a workday isn't feasible for me).

Not sure I'll order the regular hard copy based off the low quality of the hard copy eve source book. (No dust jacket, flimsy hard cover, pages not cut consistently or evenly, etc)


I feel the same. It's awesome, I'd buy it. There's about 1500+ left to purchase, that's nothing. I'm bummed out here.


Heh, earliest I may be able to access the site to get a copy will be 5 1/2 hours after the sell opens. That would have given me a slight chance with the first book, but now that CCP is chasing a dose of "we sold them out in two hours haw haw!" e-peen, everyone who can't be online at 15:00 GMT on friday March 20th can consider himself officially bummed.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2015-03-16 14:26:57 UTC
Bren Stantis wrote:
The order page for the Limited Edition says that the first 1000 copies will be signed.

Are all 1000 of those in the pool that is split half-and-half between U.S. and E.U., or were some of those 1000 snagged by CCP employees and/or Dark Horse?

In other words, are there 500 out of 795 for each region that will come signed, or some lesser number?


500 for each region. The Dark Horse and CCP staff stacks do not contain signed copies, only the one for the store.

Bren Stantis wrote:

Edit: Also, 1591 - (795 * 2) = 1; who gets the leftover copy? Pirate

That would be our Jovian overlords.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#52 - 2015-03-16 14:28:18 UTC
Qjuu wrote:
I'm so excited about the new book! I love EVE and I love art. When both comes together... Shocked

But

Quote:
Last year, CCP and Dark Horse Comics released a book called EVE Source....EVE fans were happy....


Me not so much. Unfortunately. I'm maybe the exception, but if I want to buy EVE:Source as e-book from the Apple iBook store AND if I'm not an US resident I'm out of luck. Dark Horse Comics don't publish it internationally via the iBook store - even after one year meanwhile.

It's a "I throw money at the screen...nothing is happening" -situation. Dark Horse Comics' support is really bad also. They just don't care.

@CCP: any information if the situation will be better with the new book? The dev blog was a bit vague regarding e-book availability.

Sorry that you couldn't get it. We will make inquiries about the e-book version and post back here.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#53 - 2015-03-16 14:32:25 UTC
Abulurd Boniface wrote:
I love the uber limited edition but I feel screwed out of that one.

I'll be at Fanfest, I won't be able to order it from there and although I appreciate the idea of 'limited edition', could have made more than just 2000 of the book?

Gah!

Hey, there is wi-fi and computers at Fanfest, hope you can order it there. If not, hail me down and I'll let you use my phone!
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2015-03-16 15:01:16 UTC
Musashi Date wrote:
On 2015-01-19 11:44:47 UTC, CCP Falcon wrote:
This is something myself and CCP t0rfifrans have been talking about for some time now, some kind of ship inventory with a lot of techincal backstory and history of hulls in it.

What would you guys think of something like that? Would you be interested in buying some form of media completely devoted to technical backstory in EVE? Stuff like technical readouts, drawings, histories of hulls and their variants, that kind of thing?

Just wondering! Big smile


From the thread, Ship interiors artwork?

I guess the ~100 likes pushed the idea through huh? Thank you for listening to us back then at that thread. :)


I think the book mentioned in that thread is a different project than the book that is announced in this thread. This one is more about artwork and visuals, while the one Falcon proposed there is more of a "technical manual". Which would make a nice addition to the set and I hope it's the next thing they get to work on.

At least I hope that's right Big smile
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#55 - 2015-03-16 16:35:57 UTC
Ned Thomas wrote:
Musashi Date wrote:
On 2015-01-19 11:44:47 UTC, CCP Falcon wrote:
This is something myself and CCP t0rfifrans have been talking about for some time now, some kind of ship inventory with a lot of techincal backstory and history of hulls in it.

What would you guys think of something like that? Would you be interested in buying some form of media completely devoted to technical backstory in EVE? Stuff like technical readouts, drawings, histories of hulls and their variants, that kind of thing?

Just wondering! Big smile


From the thread, Ship interiors artwork?

I guess the ~100 likes pushed the idea through huh? Thank you for listening to us back then at that thread. :)


I think the book mentioned in that thread is a different project than the book that is announced in this thread. This one is more about artwork and visuals, while the one Falcon proposed there is more of a "technical manual". Which would make a nice addition to the set and I hope it's the next thing they get to work on.

At least I hope that's right Big smile

Yes, Falcon is talking about a book we want to do, but haven't comitted to or started working on. This book, while featuring a lot of ship art and some lore info about ships, is not a technical Jane's defense manual, but rather a more classic game art book.
Sim Cognito
Obani Gemini Corporation
#56 - 2015-03-16 18:03:11 UTC
The artwork is jaw-dropping.




But CCP, there should be a digital version too. Why make it a limited edition physical item only? Release it digitally as well for all the world to see. It's a waste to limit this amazing collection to just those physical copies.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#57 - 2015-03-16 18:40:32 UTC
Sim Cognito wrote:
The artwork is jaw-dropping.

But CCP, there should be a digital version too. Why make it a limited edition physical item only? Release it digitally as well for all the world to see. It's a waste to limit this amazing collection to just those physical copies.

I can confirm that the book is available on Kindle.

Furthermore, it's just the fancy white boxed collectable that's limited. There is a theoretical unlimited supply of the standard hardcover version of this book, available on Amazon and elsewhere.

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#58 - 2015-03-16 18:47:26 UTC
Radgette wrote:


Excuse me but can you please explain the pricing to me?

in the UK where VAT on books is 0% it's 89.99 euro's yet in other european countries which charge between 5% and 20% VAT on books it's still 89.99 euros?

Why are you once again shafting the UK? you did it with the pricing on the Limited Edition of EVE Source as well and I pointed this out to you, but apparently your marketing department just doesn't care?


Hey, Radgette, CCP Spitfire here.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! You are absolutely right; as UK VAT on books is 0%, we will be selling the book for 89.99 USD to the players in this country. (to preemptively answer another question, VAT on books in most other European countries is also lower than the general VAT, but unfortunately the extremely strong dollar and added shipping costs do not allow us to reduce the price accordingly).

We'll update the website accordingly to avoid confusion.

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#59 - 2015-03-16 19:19:59 UTC
Gumby Roffo wrote:
Liking this and will go well with the other items of eve nature I have on the lounge room shelf. So a Aussie question do I order from IKON or from the website listed in the OP.?

Cheers.

I can confirm that the 200 books purchased by IKON will be availble on this site:

http://www.popcultcha.com.au/

Pre-orders will open March 20th, while it will be officially selling on March 25th.

Vurreis Enaka
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#60 - 2015-03-16 20:47:52 UTC
As I live in the UK will I have to order from the US store and have it shipped from there, or will I be able to order from the Europe store?
I would think shipping costs from the US would be considerably higher than having it shipped from Europe.