These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVETherapy - good people doing horrible things

Author
Sophie Mahler
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-03-16 05:34:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Sophie Mahler
HTFU seems to be of circumstances, always

My alt (yea I already have 2 accounts) joined a corp, her first and my first ever. I was thinking about what I wanted to do in EVE, and I thought, first and foremost, I didn't want to be on the lower end of the food chain.

I didn't want to be "that guy" whining about getting ganked, about how unfair things are and how CCP should do something about it. I decided I wanted to embrace EVE. I want to become the predator, I don't want to remain the prey anymore.

So she joined a merc/pirate corp as the resident hippie (go figure)

I had a feeling, but now I know firsthand: EVE seems to be full of good people doing the worst things! People who understand it's first and foremost a game. Yes they may gank you somewhere in hisec at one point, but they lose more ships than any of hisec residents in order to learn, grow, get better and not be the preys anymore. Many of them are good people, just playing a video game and enjoying themselves.

EVE is a violent world full of loving people

I love it <3

<3 to eve community
you guys are amazing !

HTFU !
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2015-03-16 11:24:47 UTC
That is how I play EVE. To relax and enjoy myself since it is after all, a Game.

I prefer to be the Predator, I will never be anybodies prey.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3 - 2015-03-16 12:02:01 UTC
As a stay at home dad, I like to unwind in the afternoon with a nice glass of whiskey while I hunt my fellow man.

Feel free to contact me in game for any tips on doing so yourself.

o7
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-03-16 12:03:05 UTC
This one should do well.

<3
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-03-17 02:46:03 UTC  |  Edited by: BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Am I the only person here that enjoys being hunted? There's nothing better than knowing that an entire system is out to get you and you'll have to fake out their hunting dogs and break through the bubble camp with no assistance. Getting kills may feel good, but knowing that this other group had superior firepower, superior numbers, and a superior position and still walked away empty handed is awesome!

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Rulmaro Austrene
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2015-03-17 03:51:18 UTC
Sophie Mahler wrote:

My alt (yea I already have 2 accounts) joined a corp, her first and my first ever. I was thinking about what I wanted to do in EVE, and I thought, first and foremost, I didn't want to be on the lower end of the food chain.

I didn't want to be "that guy" whining about getting ganked, about how unfair things are and how CCP should do something about it. I decided I wanted to embrace EVE. I want to become the predator, I don't want to remain the prey anymore.

So she joined a merc/pirate corp as the resident hippie (go figure)

I had a feeling, but now I know firsthand: EVE seems to be full of good people doing the worst things! People who understand it's first and foremost a game. Yes they may gank you somewhere in hisec at one point, but they lose more ships than any of hisec residents in order to learn, grow, get better and not be the preys anymore. Many of them are good people, just playing a video game and enjoying themselves.

I love it <3

<3 to eve community
you guys are amazing !

HTFU !

Good to know. Life without pirates would be boring in EVE. As for me, I don't wanna be a pirate and trying to not intearact them. Still there was some funny moments when we played the catch-up my Cheetah vs pirate Sabre in the bubble :) Really funny
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-03-17 11:03:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ovv Topik
Sophie Mahler wrote:

I love it <3

<3 to eve community
you guys are amazing !

HTFU !

The pod goo is strong in this one!

I was impressed when I moved to LowSec as a noob, with how many vets would pwn me, then convo me to offer advise, even isk. And now I would not dream of doing otherwise myself.

New Eden would indeed be dull without risk. How many games leave you genuinely 'shaken up' after a particularly GF?

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Gimme Sake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-03-17 12:11:47 UTC

Apparently losing isk is the most horrible, morally and ethically unacceptable, thing of all...

"Never not blob!" ~ Plato

Sophie Mahler
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2015-03-17 19:21:58 UTC
what I kinda like about piracy, is that it's like a forced reminder that this is only a game.

it acts like a filter to all those who take things way too seriously

it's also what I like about eve, if you believe that you "worked hard" for your ship, and act like you just lost your child when it gets blown, then EVE may not be the best game to play

it's very philosophical in the way that one has to actually spend time and learn skills and kinda "work hard" in a gaming way, to get to own a nice ship and whatnot, it does have *some* value.

EVE is long and complex, and one has to "play seriously" in order to get somewhere, learn lots of stuff, practice, learn some more.

but all in all, it's still just a game, stuff comes and stuff gets blown to pieces, all of this doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I do believe that one has to be a tad bit philosopher in order to enjoy this game (and probably a tad bit masochist too).

Piracy in eve is the reminder that nothing is eternal, nothing is ever aquired, EVE defines people by who they are, not by what they fly.
Not by what you fly, but by who you are once you're flying back to your base in that tiny insignificant capsule.

Syds Sinclair
StratsCo
Pretenders
#10 - 2015-04-05 21:53:37 UTC
..Its funny to me that piracy and what not are considered "worst things possible!"
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#11 - 2015-04-05 22:19:41 UTC
Syds Sinclair wrote:
..Its funny to me that piracy and what not are considered "worst things possible!"

Well, she appears to be talking about high-sec ganking, which is a bit of a **** move that's primarily about picking on people who haven't actually committed themselves knowingly to putting themselves at risk.

It's about as morally black a thing as happens regularly in this game, apart from maybe the corporate espionage/theft against similar unprepared opponents. Most other forms of PvP are against people that knowingly took a risk or are operating in conditions where you can reasonably expect them to have made an actual cost/benefit analysis.

Of course, it's also just a game, and them's the breaks. Now that you can't lose SP there aren't really even any lasting consequences to anything you can do to another player, even actual harassment only lasts as long as you're willing to follow them around.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#12 - 2015-04-05 22:50:32 UTC
I like this newbie... can we keep her?
gfldex
#13 - 2015-04-05 23:32:52 UTC
Warm hugs to you and your pirate ways!

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2015-04-06 00:06:25 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
I like this newbie... can we keep her?

You make it sound like we could keep her away.

You know as well as I do: it clicked, she's stuck here Big smile
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#15 - 2015-04-07 10:05:59 UTC
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Am I the only person here that enjoys being hunted? There's nothing better than knowing that an entire system is out to get you and you'll have to fake out their hunting dogs and break through the bubble camp with no assistance. Getting kills may feel good, but knowing that this other group had superior firepower, superior numbers, and a superior position and still walked away empty handed is awesome!

No! :D

I once cruised around in a Rupture near RvB bases...
... -10 ...
... suddenly there was an RvB member ...

"Oh crap" ...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2490746

Being hunted is fun and can cause unforeseen things to happen... ^_^
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Eve Solecist
#16 - 2015-04-07 10:10:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Eve Solecist
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Syds Sinclair wrote:

Well, she appears to be talking about high-sec ganking, which is a bit of a **** move that's primarily about picking on people who haven't actually committed themselves knowingly to putting themselves at risk.

It's about as morally black a thing as happens regularly in this game, apart from maybe the corporate espionage/theft against similar unprepared opponents. Most other forms of PvP are against people that knowingly took a risk or are operating in conditions where you can reasonably expect them to have made an actual cost/benefit analysis.

Of course, it's also just a game, and them's the breaks. Now that you can't lose SP there aren't really even any lasting consequences to anything you can do to another player, even actual harassment only lasts as long as you're willing to follow them around.

Also I suggest new players not to listen to people who say that suicide ganking
is anything else but something you do in a game about shooting spaceships.

And what he leaves out is the fact that someone who undocks ...
... and willfully or through ignorance puts his ship at risk ...
... should have known better.

Everyone knowingly takes a risk.
Everyone (should, at least) know the dangers.
If you die it's mostly your fault.

Morals are irrelevant for game mechanics.
There is no "black".
It's a game.
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
Sophie Mahler
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2015-04-07 11:04:29 UTC
well said, it's only a game

losing one's ship is part of the deal when you sign up, it DOES happen more often than not
Eve Solecist
#18 - 2015-04-07 11:09:50 UTC
Sophie Mahler wrote:
well said, it's only a game

losing one's ship is part of the deal when you sign up, it DOES happen more often than not

I'd go on a suicide ganking roam with you if I my other sub was active.
Scouting targets in a properly fitted, 1600m3 cargospace magnate can be fun!

Best money a noob can make is through demanding, but fulfilling work.