These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dear Rain. I have 44m SP and I'm unsure what to train next.

Author
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2015-02-26 07:12:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Every once in a while I get EVEmails from players asking for advice off-the-record. I've always answered these mails to the best of my ability, but this time I thought it would be fun, and more productive, if I stripped the player's identity from the message and posted it for more players to weigh in.

A Dear Abby column, of EVE sorts.

The Skillsheet

The evemail

Quote:
o7

I've noticed you are active in multiple forums, and are a good member of the community. I hope you don't mind me mailing you with my situation and then some questions...

I have 44.8m SP and I'm unsure what to train next. I am hellbent on going for Command Ships, as I want to fly a Damnation. I feel I have a lot of small holes in my training that will make me more efficient when filled.

I just recently understood and came to practice the proper use of remapping. On my alts I've planned skill training according to skills needed for long-term goals. In my opinion SP is one of the most valuable resources we have, and if I can maximize the rate at which I obtain SP, I'll be better off..

With that said, I have a good number of skills that I've marked as ones that will not only benefit me as support, but will directly affect some of the most commonly used modules. I'm looking to make a plan that will last through 2015, but I only have 1 remap available.

I thought about writing out all my specific examples, but I'll just ask the question: Do you still follow the rule of optimizing training according to your remap when skilling 1-3 or 1-4? A lot of the skills I need and want to train are going from 3-4 or from 4-5. I can prioritize those that I feel are most important and/or beneficial to my performance, but is this what I should do? Should I pop in a few days or weeks worth of Int/Memory skills when I'm currently mapped for Per/Will with only 1 remap available?

If you even care to give me advice and want a list of the skills I've deemed necessary, let me know and I can get it to you. Feel free to comment on any skills that you think are vital enough to prioritize for either the specific ship/fit I'm training for or any that are overall beneficial.

(if you have no desire to respond, don't feel obligated) :]

Thanks a ton!

Dear Anon,

I like that you understand sacrifice by way of delayed gratification, and you'll be happy to know remaps and the attribute system are being considered for adjustment. The latest thread was closed by ISD after it became repetitive, but here it is.

There are some painful bits, where I train skills that are out of attribute. They're usually emergency level 1 skills, or a level IV or V prerequisite to enable an emergency skill level 1. However. I don't find myself doing a lot of emergency training because most of my pilots are near-perfect in at least one ship. I use those right now, and my skill queue is for other ships in the future.

So basically, most of my skillqueues are long-haul level Vs, with a strict adherence to attributes. I tend to flop between Intel/Mem and Per/Will one year at a time.

If my advice is to be congruent with my own skill queue strategy, it would be: Train into ONE primary ship, so that you can be happy while sitting through min-maxed skills for a year at a time.

I do this in phases.

This character is an example of Phase 1 (50m SP). She has all supports to V, plus a near-perfect Falcon, and a great Basilisk. Everything else I want is training to IV. She'll spend her time in Falcons or Basilisks in the meantime.

Phase 2 (60m SP) is switching to Drones and training them all to V. After this phase I will consider her Basilisk "perfect."

Phase 3 (75m SP) is flipping to Per/Will and doing Spaceship Command and Gunneries to Spec IV.

Phase 4 (90m SP) is remapping back to Intel/Mem and training the level V skills from phase 1. My skillsheet is an example of a character in Phase 4.

Phase 5 (110m SP) is remapping back to Per/Will and training all gunneries to V

Phase 6 (140m SP) is Willpower / Perception to train all T2 ship skills to V

Phase 7 and 8 (160m SP) are Intel/Mem or Per/Will to train anything subcap not yet trained to V. This character sheet (not mine) is an example of a character at the end of Phase 7 and 8.

If you have one remap to burn, I would suggest using it on Leadership or Drones, if you can't hold out the rest of the 12 months after training them. I'm assuming you want to use the command ship for its leadership boosts at some point.

If you have anything you'd like to add, or if you want to send me your proposed skill list, EVEmail them to me and I'll add them to this thread.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2015-02-26 07:12:32 UTC
Dominique Vasilkovsky
#3 - 2015-02-26 10:44:22 UTC
I like how you have set phases.

Phase 7-8 is a bit of a pain as by that stage you will run out of full year attribute plans to follow. This is one more reason why the suggested removal of attributes will come in handly for all players regadless of SP.
Khanid Voltar
#4 - 2015-03-03 20:09:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanid Voltar
Dominique Vasilkovsky wrote:

Phase 7-8 is a bit of a pain as by that stage you will run out of full year attribute plans to follow. This is one more reason why the suggested removal of attributes will come in handly for all players regadless of SP.

Respectfully, I would disagree. It depends how well and how far in advance your skill plans go. With adequate future planning, this pitfall can be avoided.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2015-03-16 05:43:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
This is the queue of another character in phase 4. Support character. Spaceship Command and Gunnery / Missiles have been skipped.

What you basically have are Intel / Mem skills that will never have to be revisited. In other words, best get everything in now, lest you end up with an awkward out-of-attribute train later on.

It depends on how much of a train you can stomach now, compared to leaving the Vs for later on. 7 and 8 can easily become awkward.

Character is currently at 110 Million SP. After this year of Intel/Mem she'll have nearly two years of Per/Will to go, but that is due to her life as a support character. DPS was never a priority so it will be added last.

This is a completionist-type of skill plan, and it's mostly disconnected from day-to-day gameplay. In fact I don't plan to fly most of the ships in the game, as far as I can tell. But training this way is good for the lulls in gameplay where nothing changes.

Of course, interrupt long-term plans for something you'd like to fly soon.

I have another character training all target painting skills to V, which is disproportionate for a character with fewer than 50 million SP. But to get her in a "perfect" ship that I'm happy with, I'm rushing the target painting.