These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Scylla] Medium Railguns

First post
Author
Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#101 - 2015-03-05 09:35:07 UTC
Did I miss something? Last time I checked rails had **** tracking and mediocre damage. I've never seen rails on anything other than tracking bonused hulls like the thorax. Occasionally a moa fleet, but rarely.
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2015-03-05 09:49:15 UTC
Vincintius Agrippa wrote:
Did I miss something? Last time I checked rails had **** tracking and mediocre damage. I've never seen rails on anything other than tracking bonused hulls like the thorax. Occasionally a moa fleet, but rarely.

Was that in 2008?
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#103 - 2015-03-05 14:39:48 UTC

They have WAAAAY more trackign than arties. A bit less than beams. They have WAY MORE damage then both of them.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#104 - 2015-03-05 14:41:09 UTC
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
I have to agree on two points raised:

- the nerf seems a bit excessive, with the more frequent update scheme smaller steps would make more sense.

- your most compelling argument is the proliferation of railguns in doctrines. There are two main factors contributing to that, hull power and weapon system power. You're adressing both parameters at the same time, which is scientifically unsound. It would make more sense to follow up on the defensive subsystem change with a period of observation and then follow up with a railgun change - if it is still necessary. Again the more frequent update scheme would easily allow such a strategy.

The problem are NOT the hull. If you put medium rails on a STABBER, it still does more damage than an ARTI STABBER.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Specia1 K
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#105 - 2015-03-05 14:51:43 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:

- the nerf seems a bit excessive, with the more frequent update scheme smaller steps would make more sense.

- your most compelling argument is the proliferation of railguns in doctrines. There are two main factors contributing to that, hull power and weapon system power. You're adressing both parameters at the same time, which is scientifically unsound. It would make more sense to follow up on the defensive subsystem change with a period of observation and then follow up with a railgun change - if it is still necessary. Again the more frequent update scheme would easily allow such a strategy.

The problem are NOT the hull. If you put medium rails on a STABBER, it still does more damage than an ARTI STABBER.

But same Stabber with Beams does about the same damage.
Slightly less range, but slightly better tracking.

Champion of the Knights of the General Discussion

Thunderdome

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#106 - 2015-03-05 15:04:09 UTC
Specia1 K wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:

But same Stabber with Beams does about the same damage.
Slightly less range, but slightly better tracking.

With WAY higher fittings are more cap usage. At the end rails do not have any serious disadvantage

Erihn Sabrovich
#107 - 2015-03-06 19:10:47 UTC
1) If the goal is to nerf a particular ship/gun combination, I think that it'd be better to nerf the ship than the gun. It'd avoid to touch the balance for all other ships.

2) as pointed before, the possible overpower of the railgun does not apply on the same way to all Medium rails... a similar nerf on all med-rails seem a little odd.

3) What about the other parameters ? PG, CPU, Cap ? Comparing Rails to Arty don't take in account the difference in Cap usage. Cap is the ability to sustain AB, MWD, Reps, Shields, ... and, for rails and laser, the ability to fire. Tracking difference must also be taken in account... Aswell the delay between firing and hitting.

4) Maybe the problem is in having Caldari using railguns (instead of missiles), ... Using a kind of weapon not related to the ship should have some penality...

5) Rails are the only weapon that can't switch damage type... You only have thermal/kinetics... what magnitude can you give to that drawback ? You can't compare raw damages of lasers or arty which can switch damage type to raw damages of Rails.

6) CCP is targetting mostly a few number of ships... and nerf both the ships and one kind of weapon... I think that a more sensible behaviour is to do only one change at the time. This would allow to get a better view at the effects of the changes.
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2015-03-06 20:28:26 UTC
These changes might be good to fix the extreme use of this weapon system but the problem isnt the weapon system!

The ships that are popular for these are the Moa, Eagle and mostly the Tengu. What is the actual problem then?

A typical fleet Moa fit has 58k (!) EHP, thats more than a Maller with 1600mm plate and nothing but tank in the low slots.
The Eagle has 114K EHP, thats more than many battleship fits! Combined with a small sig radius these just dont die.
And the Tengu? Yea i think you can guess...

Please don't nerf the Gallente rail ships! They are underpowered enough as is.
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#109 - 2015-03-07 10:24:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Xequecal
Kagura Nikon wrote:
With WAY higher fittings are more cap usage. At the end rails do not have any serious disadvantage

The disadvantage of rails is that they do kin/therm damage, which is a massive disadvantage.

EM is so much better than every other damage type right now it's ridiculous. What doesn't have EM as the lowest resist these days? It's pretty much just T1 armor tanked frigates and cruisers. T2 armor tanked Gallente almost always fits an exp hardener to plug the explosive hole, armor-tanked battleships usually go for an exp/kin/therm hardener setup leaving EM as the weakest resist, and T2 Minmatar basically doesn't exist.

This nerf is completely stupid. Medium rails are only really used on ships with double range bonuses in order to outrange sentry drones. If you're planning to engage at under 130k, you should be in Ishtars as they completely dominate all other ships inside that range. All this nerf does is make the only real Ishtar counter have to blob even harder to break through reps. You're already shooting right into the T2 resists and doing next to no damage, now it's even worse.
Nina Lowel
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#110 - 2015-03-08 05:40:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Nina Lowel
It's not rails that need a nerf, it's blasters need a buff, and it's only 3 ships that are too good with rails...hence no other doctrines that fit rails.

I mean, I wish CCP would actually use their brains. If you want to know what's OP, look at the most heavily used doctrines in null, I can tell you it's not rail demios or proteus, it's freaking tengu!

I've given up on CCP's ability to recognize problem areas and how to fix them.
Arinola Pendoler
Doomheim
#111 - 2015-03-08 09:32:58 UTC
It's pretty frustrating for a new player (late 2014) to be afected by a nerf, on a ¿10? years old game... I just finished "railgun spec" weeks ago; at this moment its my only seriuos lvl 5 skill for PVE.

Instead to focus the solution in a weapon, I think, in my opinion, that they should focus in the ships that are overpowered and are mentioned in the article. Ships that I dont use... I use 250 medium for PVE to get some little ISK.

Railguns use thermal and kinetic always, thats big a disavantage, between little others.

Just an opinion of a frustrated new player ;)
Ben Ishikela
#112 - 2015-03-08 16:47:12 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
(...)strong pressure to field rail platforms: Moas, Tengus, Vultures, Proteii, Eagle, etc.
(...) but railguns are simply the simplest angle of attack for us

1st simple =/= best.

.Rails are a good average. they have no big issue with falloff, tracking, damagetypeselection. that makes them versatile and good to begin with for new players. Compared to other turrets.
.they are heavily used in fleetdoctrines and solo/small gang not so much, right?
.many new players have indeed trained Rails.

Goal:
.lets keep their strength = simplicity
.make them a good base for lower skillpoints and skills.
.make other turrets a specialty by them dealing more damage in comparison for skilled pilots.
.create incentive for Starters to move on to other specialized WeaponPlatforms, once they have enough practise.

Change:
.make it faster to train for rails
.let them scale with skillpoints and pilotskill slower than other turrets.
..less damage bonus per skill level compared to other weapons
..tengu/vult/eagle gets less bonus to damage/etc per skill level, but higher base
..better tracking and even lesser falloff to punch it more into its new role
..?increase damage per skill on others?
..crazy: make every T3 able to use Rails effective.
.advertise them as good starter

Issues:
atm i cant think of any. help me!

Ideas are like Seeds. I'd chop fullgrown trees to start a fire.

Suitonia
Order of the Red Kestrel
#113 - 2015-03-09 14:29:05 UTC
afkalt wrote:

Was that in 2008?

Blammo

Contributer to Eve is Easy:  https://www.youtube.com/user/eveiseasy/videos

Solo PvP is possible with a 20 day old character! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOB4KXYk-o

Ben Ishikela
#114 - 2015-03-16 00:53:42 UTC
If you reduce the damage output of dual150 too, could there be a way to decrease their signature to get them up to speed?
I remember being a noob and putting dual150 on my thorax to hit frigates better, but then realising they have more sig then single 150 small guns. Or please rename them, because its one step less too learn and is no meaningful choice. Hint: there is also the rapid light missile launcher that is a good medium weapon against frigs. give us a proper turret that can do this!

Ideas are like Seeds. I'd chop fullgrown trees to start a fire.

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2015-03-18 10:47:35 UTC
So basically, if they ship doesn't have a bonus to the weapon, don't use it... That will do wonders for fitting options. Roll
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2015-03-18 14:30:01 UTC
Erihn Sabrovich wrote:

5) Rails are the only weapon that can't switch damage type... You only have thermal/kinetics... what magnitude can you give to that drawback ? You can't compare raw damages of lasers or arty which can switch damage type to raw damages of Rails.

WHAT? ever heard of Pulses, Beams and blasters?

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2015-03-18 14:32:59 UTC
Ben Ishikela wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
(...)strong pressure to field rail platforms: Moas, Tengus, Vultures, Proteii, Eagle, etc.
(...) but railguns are simply the simplest angle of attack for us

1st simple =/= best.

.Rails are a good average. they have no big issue with falloff, tracking, damagetypeselection. that makes them versatile and good to begin with for new players. Compared to other turrets.
.they are heavily used in fleetdoctrines and solo/small gang not so much, right?
.many new players have indeed trained Rails.

Goal:
.lets keep their strength = simplicity
.make them a good base for lower skillpoints and skills.
.make other turrets a specialty by them dealing more damage in comparison for skilled pilots.
.create incentive for Starters to move on to other specialized WeaponPlatforms, once they have enough practise.

Change:
.make it faster to train for rails
.let them scale with skillpoints and pilotskill slower than other turrets.
..less damage bonus per skill level compared to other weapons
..tengu/vult/eagle gets less bonus to damage/etc per skill level, but higher base
..better tracking and even lesser falloff to punch it more into its new role
..?increase damage per skill on others?
..crazy: make every T3 able to use Rails effective.
.advertise them as good starter

Issues:
atm i cant think of any. help me!

RAIls are overpowerred not the hulls

If you deconsider all ship bonuses rails are already more powerful than other weapon systems.

They do way more damage with way better tracking and WAY lower fittings than arties.

Do a close to same damage damage with a bit less tracking.. with MASSIVELY easier fittings than beams.

Arsine Mayhem
Doomheim
#118 - 2015-03-19 17:16:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Arsine Mayhem
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Are there still minmatar ships in this game?

And for the rails vs artys, this is only for medium.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#119 - 2015-03-20 14:21:47 UTC
Arsine Mayhem wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Are there still minmatar ships in this game?

And for the rails vs artys, this is only for medium.

Yes, only mediums have a HUGE unbalance. The large ones have a smaller unbalance, still present, but bearable because alpha is way more important on the large gun scale.

Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#120 - 2015-03-21 01:39:04 UTC
It's not going to nerf ships that don't need a nerfing is it?

I'm talking about medium railgun platforms that aren't currently too strong? If there are any?

Do not run. We are your friends.